It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: ArcAngel

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: IAMTAT

I shoot a pretty fair amount. Hand guns are a mixed bag and difficult to know which one will suit you best. I really recommend going to a range and firing a number of their rental guns to see which feels better.

As far as home defense goes, and when considering a handgun consider a few things:
1. go full frame, much more accurate
2. Semi Autos can jam, a revolver fires every time.
3. When considering caliber a .40, .380 or 9mm gain you many more rounds in the magazine my Beretta px4 storm full frame holds 17 in the mag. The sub compact holds 10
4. A .45 acp on average holds 7-8 in the mag but is much more accurate in my experience

Overall, I would recommend a Kimber .45 4.5 inch barrel, or full frame. They are imo the best made semi auto in the world. Some get very pricey, but you can get a great one in your price range and you will never be disappointed in your choice.

Thanks. Never heard of the Kimber before, but will try one if the shop has one.
I'm making a list of all top recommendations to talk to the dealer about and we'll both try them.

Hiya Iamtat!

Kimbers are expensive and finicky. Not easy maintenance and very tight tolerances. Best shooting gun I own, Kimber tactical Pro II, 1200 new, holds only 8 rounds unless you get Tripp magazines which hold 10 rounds.

As I've said many, many times get either a revolver (i.e. S&W 642 airframe) that shoots .38 or .357. Holds 5 rounds and has no hammer, just a 13 pound trigger pull, every time. It doesn't go bang unless it's intentional. You can get these for $450 tops

Or, get a Glock. A G19 (that's the short name) is a compact 9mm that holds 15 rounds in it's magazine. A G17 is a little bigger barrels and hols 2 more rounds in the magazine. A G19 can use a G17 magazine. Clocks go for $500 bucks, spend the rest on a lesson and ammo.

You want something just for the house? Get a 12 gauge shotgun with OOO buck shot.

Be safe

WOW. Thank you, ArcAngel. Your expertise on this subject is well known here on ATS.

Thank you, EVERYONE.

You've given us much to consider...and I feel better prepared now to make a selection.
First step...go to the range/shop and fire a variety of choices suggested on this thread.
Secondly, I'm seriously considering a good shotgun.

Side note:

You've all been generous in sharing your knowledge and experience...and I'm very grateful.

On a personal note, I've noticed how the love and appreciation of guns is one of the very few topics here on ATS where I have seen members of all sides of the political spectrum come together to unite em-pathetically, passionately and in a spirit of brotherhood about their love of...and the importance of...owning personal firearms.

Guns appear to unite us in a very unexpected manner.

Here you go, and be sure to watch the video at the bottom of the page...you'll love it

www.aimsurplus.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

wasn't it in the movie The Patriot

aim small, miss small.

i like to put a red or white circle about 4 inches round on a black human silhouette center mass to aim at. my eyes are wanting to get old and it helps.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

When I worked as an armed guard the man responsible for our training taught me this. It was to draw and fire as fast as possible at the paper plate. We practiced two handed, one handed including off hand, prone, seated on the ground, flat on your back on the ground and from cover and concealment. He figured that if you could put 3 or 4 rounds into the plate every time you could hit center of mass on a person.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I'd like to ask out of personal interest here, is anyone familiar with statistics or actually been in a live home defense situation?

Is it necessary to get rounds down accurately and quickly or just quickly? Do the majority of home intruders in the states tuck their tail between their leg and scurry out of whatever entry point they made or do they try to stand their ground in your home? Anyone here who has been in a situation where the # has hit the fan and it has done it right in front of your face will agree, it's pretty terrifying to a degree regardless of what kind of person you are. The only street rat I could see actually reacting with aggression towards an armed homeowner would be one full of drugs?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642
I'd like to ask out of personal interest here, is anyone familiar with statistics or actually been in a live home defense situation?

Is it necessary to get rounds down accurately and quickly or just quickly? Do the majority of home intruders in the states tuck their tail between their leg and scurry out of whatever entry point they made or do they try to stand their ground in your home? Anyone here who has been in a situation where the # has hit the fan and it has done it right in front of your face will agree, it's pretty terrifying to a degree regardless of what kind of person you are. The only street rat I could see actually reacting with aggression towards an armed homeowner would be one full of drugs?

Depend on the perp or perps,when I experienced a break in several years back it was three men,all of them were armed,I relied heavily on my personal training on the range I manage,was able to double tap all three of them before they even had a chance to react luckily that night I was wide awake at 3am and I had my Kimber Custom II with night sights loaded with .45 acp 230grain Ranger T's(+P,renamed Black Talons),I know if I hadn't trained as much as I did I might have died that night,I know two of the perps died before I phoned 911 right after it happened,the other died in the hospital or on the way there. I say train train and train until your shooting techniques are almost or become muscle memory,that is a good idea anyway if you plan on carrying.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

Depend on the perp or perps,when I experienced a break in several years back it was three men,all of them were armed,I relied heavily on my personal training on the range I manage,was able to double tap all three of them before they even had a chance to react luckily that night I was wide awake at 3am and I had my Kimber Custom II with night sights loaded with .45 acp 230grain Ranger T's(+P,renamed Black Talons),I know if I hadn't trained as much as I did I might have died that night,I know two of the perps died before I phoned 911 right after it happened,the other died in the hospital or on the way there. I say train train and train until your shooting techniques are almost or become muscle memory,that is a good idea anyway if you plan on carrying.

Is that an example of how the majority of these situations pan out though or the minority? To be honest sounds like they crossed the wrong line and picked the wrong house if anything. What I meant was how do those situations end most of the time? Is it a case of homeowner fires and intruder leaves or do they tend to try and fight back? In your case it sounds like they were dropped before they had time to realise what was going on.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Holy Crap!
Those guys sure picked the wrong house.
Are most home intruders armed?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Holy Crap!
Those guys sure picked the wrong house.
Are most home intruders armed?

I would assume so,I'd assume if people are going to do a home invasion that they would have some guns or at least some long blades like machetes.I know one of my intruders had a sawed-off shotgun,and I think I saw a Mac 10/11 or UZI,not too sure about gun two,but I know the third was some chrome or nickle plated revolver.(this is how I spotted where they were,from the shine of the gun reflecting some outside light)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

We have never owned a gun before...but my wife and I both feel that NOW is the time to purchase one.
We will be buying one in the next several days based upon two reasons;

1.) Home protection & self-defense

2.) Obama's gun control rampage

Both of us feel it is better to have one and not need it, rather than to need one and not have it.
We both plan on receiving proper gun training and will be keeping it in a safe. We have no children in the house.
I am a tall, physically fit man and my wife is petite, but fit.
We are willing to spend up to $1000.00.

So, ATS gun owners, what type or brand of pistol do you recommend?

I've been reading the replies to see where people are steering you. I agree that you should take a CCW class , which will cover safety also. It's good advice for you to go to a range and try different hand guns...see what feels right and fits your hands...get used to the recoil and sound. I don't think a Glock is a good idea....it has no safety and I feel is better off in a more experienced shooter's hand. Since you're not going to carry, I'd suggest a heavier gun like an EAA in 9mm or .40 cal....very accurate and less recoil because of the weight. Or , if you prefer a revolver, get a S&W 686 .357 with a 7 round cylinder and use .38 +P at first ,instead of .357.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: conspiracytheoristIAM

We have never owned a gun before...but my wife and I both feel that NOW is the time to purchase one.

Both of us feel it is better to have one and not need it, rather than to need one and not have it.
We both plan on receiving proper gun training and will be keeping it in a safe. We have no children in the house.

I've been reading the replies to see where people are steering you. I agree that you should take a CCW class , which will cover safety also. It's good advice for you to go to a range and try different hand guns...see what feels right and fits your hands...get used to the recoil and sound. I don't think a Glock is a good idea....it has no safety and I feel is better off in a more experienced shooter's hand. Since you're not going to carry, I'd suggest a heavier gun like an EAA in 9mm or .40 cal....very accurate and less recoil because of the weight. Or , if you prefer a revolver, get a S&W 686 .357 with a 7 round cylinder and use .38 +P at first ,instead of .357.

I agree with you for the most part but,I would not recommend .40 for a beginner,I'm a very experienced shooter and I find the round pretty unpleasant to shoot even in heavy guns,might be ok in a ported or rotating barrel pistol but I find it about as fun to shoot as my 11 ounce S&W .357 magnum with full power loads and about as quick back on target as the light weight .357,oddly enough I do enjoy 10mm though,seems like something went wrong on the downsizing imo(.40 is downsized 10mm if you didn't already know). Also I can't seem to make .40 go where I aim it seems like it isn't near as accurate of a round as 9mm or .45 acp.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

the judge you can have a 410 dear slug and a 45 and 410 buck shot all 45/.410in the same pistol ............. Model 4510B6MAG
edit on 7-12-2015 by madenusa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
To the OP have you considered other steps you can take that don't involve firearms? (I'm not suggesting you don't own one or saying that you shouldn't by any means). There are simple steps you can take. Things like adequate lighting throughout the house and garden. A lot of people think those lights with sensors are a good idea but the fact is the invitation is there, he's already in on the act. Keeping your property well lit to begin with is the best deterrent. Keeping your doors locked even when you are in the house is a big one and is pretty straightforward. A sign saying you have a guard dog helps even if you don't. Watching what you throw away in your rubbish (receipts for new items, leaving the box from that new TV you bought in view outside). Keep windows covered use blinds or curtains as much as possible (obviously you still need some light in your life). Helps them from being able to determine who is in, where they are and the general layout of your home. Cameras are quite cheap. You can have one pointed at your front and back door linked directly to your TV. That way you know who is there before he is barging past you with two of his friends when you open the door. Keep windows locked.

There is a lot you can do to deter or at least slow someone down. The emphasis being on denying access when possible, or taking away the element of surprise if you can before it turns into a confrontation in your own home.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: madenusa

the judge you can have a 410 dear slug and a 45 and 410 buck shot all in the same pistol

Yeah but .410 slugs perform poorly compared to just using .45 Long Colt in it,the .410 buckshot also performs poorly out of the Judge unless you use the shotshells made specifically for the Judge,before I get accused of saying this and not owning one: I actually do own one,it is the Night Court Judge model,and I've personally put a whole lot of .45 and .410 through it and I was pretty disappointed in the .410 performance other than in the Judge specific .410 shells,it does perform great though if you use the right .410's or use any type of .45 long colts.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Good points.
We do have outdoor lighting...and have them on when away at night.
We have an alarm system with outdoor signage and window decals around the house.
We also have three dogs...who bark at anything.

Our home is somewhat secluded in the neighborhood (end of neighborhood, long driveway...woods behind and on sides)...and we haven't had any crime issues on our street since we've been here.
Police and fire depts. are about a half mile from our home.
I am trained in self-defense...but I really don't want intruders getting that close before having to confront them.

We just want to cover any contingency....basically have a gun(s) for home defense, with the fervent hope that it'll never be needed.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Good points.
We do have outdoor lighting...and have them on when away at night.
We have an alarm system with outdoor signage and window decals around the house.
We also have three dogs...who bark at anything.

Our home is somewhat secluded in the neighborhood (end of neighborhood, long driveway...woods behind and on sides)...and we haven't had any crime issues on our street since we've been here.
Police and fire depts. are about a half mile from our home.
I am trained in self-defense...but I really don't want intruders getting that close before having to confront them.

We just want to cover any contingency....basically have a gun(s) for home defense, with the fervent hope that it'll never be needed.

Have you considered claymores for the woods?

Obviously I'm joking but thats your priority area. If the wooded area encroaches on your home consider cutting it back give yourself a little buffer zone. Little things like that can make all the difference. Picture your home from the point of view of someone who wants in. What routes in and out have you gave him/them? Is he going to be close before you realise he's even there? Are you using the dogs to your advantage? For instance do they like to stay together or are they happy to be spread out around the home? Does your drive have any kind of gate?

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Green pen Lasers will Blind anyone not wearing eye protection. Makes no noise and are under 5 bucks on Ebay

They say they are 5mw, they are until you fire it, then it ramps up to 15 or 20mw...5 mile or better range

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM
Green pen Lasers will Blind anyone not wearing eye protection. Makes no noise and are under 5 bucks on Ebay

They say they are 5mw, they are until you fire it, then it ramps up to 15 or 20mw...5 mile or better range

Or they could get a wicked lasers 2,000mW+ laser and blind the bad guy and set him on fire at the same time.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Thanks.
I have cleared, landscaped and cut back the back and sides. I've also installed solar lighting around ost of the perimeter of the back and sides. But, you're right. There is more I can still do.
The dogs....well, they're just little yappers...bark worse than bite...but when the FedEx guy comes to the door...it sounds like a pack of rottweilers.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

Pen Laser? My awesome Brother-in-law has one of the super-powerful ones...burns holes in things. I'll have to ask him where he got it.

My wife was told that Wasp spray is excellent as a long distance blinding agent.
Apparently, it can stream long distances...and when it hits the intruder's eyes it can blind them is they don't go to the hospital for the antidote immediately.

posted on Dec, 7 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
If you're going to carry buy a Glock 19.

If you want a bedside gun buy a Glock 17. Everyone should own a Glock 17.

Spend the rest of the $1,000 on a good set of night sights and an attachable flashlight and have another flashlight so that you're not aiming the gun at stuff to see it.

If you really don't want a Glock buy a Sig, but know there is a much steeper learning curve with it and if you don't plan on practicing a lot having the gun switch from DA over to SA in the middle of the night in a stressful situation might really throw you off.

Just buy a Glock 17 OP.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join