It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Kind of Hand Gun Do You Recommend?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT
Side question. Is it a good idea to have a sign or sticker by the doors saying the homeowner is armed?

I think it's a great idea, especially if you don't actually have a gun.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

a reply to: Vroomfondel

WOW. Thank you.
I will take ALL this great advice and instruction to heart.
Thank you all.

Side question. Is it a good idea to have a sign or sticker by the doors saying the homeowner is armed?

I would say no to that. You can announce the fact that you are armed when you are slapping the mag into the receiver. Anyone who still comes at you does so at their own risk, and you would do well to ask yourself why they made that choice. A sign like that could also be an invitation to someone looking to avoid purchasing a firearm if they know you are not home.

Also, a laser site is a good addition. Its an intimidation factor, especially at night, and also has the obvious advantage of showing you where the round is headed when you pull the trigger.
edit on 6-12-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2015 by Vroomfondel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

WOW. Thank you.
Thank you all.

Do you want someone breaking into your house while you away because they want to steal your guns?

I have a big sign I would LOVE to post on my property that say "Due to the increase cost of ammunition, no warning shots will be fired." I will not put it up in the garage, let alone outside, because of the legal consequences if I ever did have an "intruder."

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

edit on 511231America/ChicagoSun, 06 Dec 2015 13:51:13 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleman

WOW. Thank you.
Thank you all.

Do you want someone breaking into your house while you away because they want to steal your guns?

I have a big sign I would LOVE to post on my property that say "Due to the increase cost of ammunition, no warning shots will be fired." I will not put it up in the garage, let alone outside, because of the legal consequences if I ever did have an "intruder."

Well, that was the thought that occurred to me...and why I asked.
I agree it would be a deterrent to see a sign such as that, but wondered if it would also encourage a break-in for someone looking to steal a gun.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

4 signs front and back.

1. Beware of dog

2. Smile you are on camera

3. Home security sign

4. Protected by S&W (or gun maker of your choice)

Even a crazy person would avoid a house like this.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Could go with the magnum/underslung 30mm for those hard to kill intruders.
edit on 1031642 by sg1642 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: pcgamer11
I'd get something in 9mm. Lots of good choices. Can't go wrong with a Glock 17 or 19, or Springfield Armory XD. People will come on saying 9mm is too weak but with modern bullet technology it does just fine, is cheaper (more practice) and higher capacity. Make sure whichever you get that it feels comfortable and you shoot it well. Lots of police depts. are switching back to 9mm.

Pcg

Technically it is weak if they are talking about FMJ/Ball ammo,but yes it is powerful with modern defensive ammo,especially Winchester Ranger T's(renamed Black Talons) and Hornady XTP. I would not recommend a Glock or XD for anyone new to handguns they are too easy to have a ND(negligent discharge) with. I would recommend something with a manual safety(much more beginner friendly and harder in general to have an accident with),such as an M&P Shield in 9mm(safety version,holds 7-8 plus one chambered round),Sig P938(my everyday carry,6 or 7 9mm + 1,out shoots my glocks at 15 to 25 yards),CZ2075 Rami(holds 10 + 1 9mm in compact double action/DA and single action/SA platform based on CZ75,very very user friendly and one of the best shooting small guns),Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact(10+1 9mm and DA/SA,and probably the easiest to small 9mm to rack the slide on),Stoeger Couger Compact(13+1 9mm,very very low recoil due to rotating barrel system,DA/SA,great beginner or pro's gun),or a Beretta PX4 Storm Compact(15+1 9mm DA/SA in a small package,very low recoil due to rotating barrel system)

All the guns I've recommended I have personally owned and put 500-1,000 rounds through or more,my P938 I have 2.5K through and it hasn't skipped a beat,I'm sure all the others I've listed will be just as reliable. I intentionally avoided mention larger gun because it will be harder for you to get into the carrying habit if you have a gun that is not comfortable to carry all day. I would also recommend practicing drawing your weapon very often,also be sure to go to a gun store and fondle a bunch of handguns because some of the guns recommended to you by me and other posters might not work for you,make sure you get something that feels good in your hands.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede
also be sure to go to a gun store and fondle a bunch of handguns

Don't make those low guttural moaning noises though. They'll just end up charging you more.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: yeahright

originally posted by: VashTheStampede
also be sure to go to a gun store and fondle a bunch of handguns

Don't make those low guttural moaning noises though. They'll just end up charging you more.

Bet you think your funny don't ya.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

I found the concept of fondling a weapon amusing, if that's what you mean.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: DAVID64

That is exactly my rationale in purchasing the Sig. I think Glocks make a poor first weapon option for people who have never shot before.

most sigs don't have an external safety either?

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: sg1642

They do not but I did not bring up an external safety, I said hammer.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:24 PM
link   
For home defense I would go with the Smith & Wesson m&p9 which has the external safety option, and I personally believe they're just as reliable and well made as a glock, springfield or sig. I've owned the glock 17 and 34, and the m&p9 is easily my favorite. The removable backstraps on the m&p are great for any size hand.

Later on if you decide to carry, the ruger lc9s is a great choice. It's compact but still comfortable for big hands with the magazine extension plate, and it also has the external safety option which has a very tactile and solid on/off click.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: sg1642

They do not but I did not bring up an external safety, I said hammer.

Ah my mistake. I'd agree with the previous post though glocks and sigs aren't advisable for someone who isn't used to handling firearms. Especially in a situation where the old heart is pumping and the palms are a bit sweaty.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Springfield armory model 1911a range officer .45 ACP

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

edit on 12/6/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Love it.
Ambiguous and succinct all at once.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

Oh...

My...

God...

I just had a gungasm. Real? Or someones flight of fancy...a grenade launcher would land it in fantasy, but damn...I'd pay for that.

posted on Dec, 6 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
For the money and size you might consider "Makarov" Pistols. both you and your wife can have one, they are lite, easy to clean and shoot, and are very well made and affordable.

blog.cheaperthandirt.com...

Before buying any weapon, read all you can, and go to the gun shops and get a feel, then go practice with a ualified instructor...Safety 1st...all guns are loaded...even when empty

edit on 6-12-2015 by SPECULUM because: of billy

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join