It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bombshell! Europe Drops Charges Against Edward Snowden, Offers Asylum And Protection

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
If this is true, it's a great day for the world. The man is a hero, nothing less.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What do you see wrong with this?
285-281 vote? This democracy is Bull crap. He is probably going to get assassinated. As soon as he returns to Europe. Europe isn't safe anymore.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha
a reply to: 727Sky

Wow. Officially recognized as an "international human rights defender". Nice to see that our American jingoism is losing its bite.

He could be considered a hero. Americans are crazy enough to always talk trash about politicians, and supposedly stand for justice, but when a legitimate patriot spills the beans on illegal activities he's witnessed suddenly everyone hates him and thinks he should be shot.

It's hilarious how blind people are to their own hypocrisy.
edit on 2-11-2015 by Flesh699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

Most Americans that I know of don't feel that Snowden did anything wrong. You may hear differently in your news, but it isn't so IMO.

The man did what most of us have begged for, for years. He should have been allowed to stay here as far as I am concerned. Safely.

However since he is currently safe in Russia, I would say that is where he should stay because unfortunately my government doesn't share the same sentiments as most of the people they rule over. There's not a doubt in my mind that his days would be numbered if he returned here or anywhere near.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta
He would be crazy to leave a safe haven. He would have an "accident", if he ever decided to live a normal life again.

Do you have any idea how terrified the governments are of people like Snowden?

The L337 hAck3Rz that support the guy do not even have to commit the reactionary action themselves. They can release a script to the internet where enough people would take the risk. The leaks exposed the entire culture of utopian technoland that has developed since the days of PGP being developed to the true nature of a centralized power which does not want attention brought to itself.

The community is still raw about the information released by Jeremy Hammond.

If anything were to happen to this guy you could expect demonstrations in the streets, but the real response would be digital.

How that really helps Snowden if we are concerned about his physical health aside from the risks to government I don't know. The fallout would probably be far worse for corporations than the govt.

-FBB

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Edward Snowden and other U.S. whistleblowers are the real true patriots. They're willing to risk losing their job and life to defend our constitution and the rights of every U.S. citizen. Obama has truly made a mockery of his election promises for government transparency. He has attacked whistleblowers and the media more than any president before him. At least Europe has come to their senses. Our politicians in the U.S. who take an oath to protect our constitution, have repeatedly failed to protect the rights of it's citizens. Shame on them.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Yeah if I were in his shoes I would just stay in Russia and find a gorgeous lady to start a family. Though I agree the cold might prove to be a tougher mistress than the wife.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Great that they dropped it! I think what he did was commendable, even though I'm sure a few in the US will still see him as being in the wrong. Though like another said I would just stay over there...

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I really hope it's not a dirty trap. he just told everyone the truth about our government.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: warlocksunsinger
I really hope it's not a dirty trap. he just told everyone the truth about our government.

As far as our government is concerned he is a snitch and SNITCHES GETS STICHES!!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   

First of all, I completely agree with the way the vote turned out, although ideally the percentage for the motion could have been better. I understand why it was not, but it should have been.

However, as good as this news is, it does not mean a great deal, and furthermore, there is a grey space here. Britain. Yes, my wonderful, insane, eccentric, bizarre land of tea drinkers and rolling hills, great ale and rainy days. Not only does this vote only gain teeth if it passes through the commissioners, but the fact is, that I do not trust my government to honour the vote and its meaning, if Snowden comes to visit. Our intelligence agencies are just as involved in the outrages against privacy as the American intelligence agencies are, and besides that bond between accomplices, you have the fact that Britain and America have a history of acting in concert where certain matters are concerned.

Let's be honest here, Britain has been at war with most of the EU nations, at one time or another, and went to war with America over the independence issue of course. But since the Second World War, they have been tighter than Keenan and Kel, more together than the Wyld Stallyns Bill and Ted, closer in collaboration than the two kings of Tenacious D fame. I have precisely no confidence in my nation to honour any suggestion of protecting Snowden from arrest and or rendition, if he were to arrive here. That is to our great shame as a nation of course, but that is how I feel about it, given the historical links between our great nations, and indeed the current situation that GCHQ and the NSA find themselves in, with regard to their shared guilt in the matter of what amounts to treason against their own people.
edit on 3-11-2015 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:56 AM
link   

I suspect this this is a deliberate but polite and subtle little snub to the US for saddling them all with a refugee crisis.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

they have been tighter than Keenan and Kel, more together than the Wyld Stallyns Bill and Ted, closer in collaboration than the two kings of Tenacious D fame.

Fully agree, but man I lost it at Keenan and Kel, then doubly so at Wyld Stallyns

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
As a great fish once said...

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Since the European Parliament has no legal authority to bring charges or drop them, this vote is nothing more than a publicity gesture.
It's like the spate of "votes recognising Palestine" that we had a while back in tbe parliaments of different countries..
edit on 3-11-2015 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Problem with us is he went beyond just exposing the domestic spying we needed to know about and started going into how we spy on potential enemys like Argentina which is exactly what they should be doing and at that point his actions became criminal as it potentially endangered our national security.

If he came here I would be 100% against extradition to the US but would see him stand before a UK jury and face UK punishment for what he exposed about our spying abroad to hostile nations.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I must have conspiracy mush brains.

Snowdan leaks sensitive data about government spying from China. Flees to Russia who offers asylum. The world knows about the governments spying program and is OUTRAGED!

So much so, they pass legislation to make it legal without anyone batting an eye. They still have and use this technology and now they don't have to hide it. How nice for our overlords.

Russia, Russia, Russia. What to think about Russia. Suddenly the specter of communism transforms and enters stage left as the ultimate Protagonist in this grand puppet show antagonizing this story's villain. The Evil U.S.A.

This story feels old, like real old. Somehow regardless the decade or generation we are doomed into our perspective roles of fool.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I hope it's true. We need to stop making this man out to be some kind of criminal. He risked everything including his life to expose the truth and people either don't give a damn or think he's the one that should be jailed.

People are GD morons and don't deserve people like Snowden risking their lives for them in the first place.

Right on - the guy is a bona fide hero.
I think citizenfour should be compulsory viewing.

edit on 3-11-2015 by stargatetravels because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
I must have conspiracy mush brains.

Snowdan leaks sensitive data about government spying from China. Flees to Russia who offers asylum. The world knows about the governments spying program and is OUTRAGED!

So much so, they pass legislation to make it legal without anyone batting an eye. They still have and use this technology and now they don't have to hide it. How nice for our overlords.

You do know that domestic spying was made legal wayyyyyy before Snowden ever released anything right?

It was called Enhanced Surveillance Procedures in the Patriot Act. Legalized right out in the open in 2001. Snowden did his thing in 2013, well over a decade later.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join