It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NthOther
Haven't you people ever heard of metaphor?

How about allegory?

Parable? Surely you've heard that one.

Or are you just giving a straw man the business? You construct an argument against a false representation of what you want others to think all Bible-believers are--literalists.

Ya everyone has heard of it, unfortunately hear, one cannot say what any other representation would be.

Let us know what you think this is a metaphor for.

Or parable, or allegory.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: Vasa Croe

All of the scriptures can be considered folklore handed down to teach moral code.

People make to big of a deal of whether the stories really happened or not. I believe the stories are real, simply because I believe in miracles and it's much cooler to believe the events are real IMO.

But real events or mythology has very little to do with what you are supposed to learn from them. Arguing over the validity of the stories destroys the moral lessons within the stories IMO.

Cool is important. Truth...not so much.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

"Tower of Babel" I mean, Come on. All peoples of the Earth are living in the same location? and happen to build a Tower to the heavens and pisses God off, so he changes

What about the one where it rained on the rocks for thousands of years, made a soup that came to life, complex life formed in symbiotic relationships all at once which then produced species that could produce other species given enough time and eventually produce intelligent life. All from rocks and rain... Oh wait that is the science religions BS fairytale.

Would be nice if people could say I DONT KNOW instead of laughing at each other's stupid stories and mocking others beliefs when all we truly know is our limited senses and knowledge don't amount to anything in the big picture.

edit on 21-10-2015 by byteshertz because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: namelesss

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

More evidence that literalists remain ever clueless!

Right...God literally exists? is that the message?

The message is that when the bible is taken all literally, then the person taking it so remains clueless as to what the book is all about.
When someone cannot recognize a metaphor, and takes it literally, it is as if a child just accepts any lies that his parent tells him, do to his inability to see deeper than the surface, and his inability to think for himself.

"The great snare of thought is the uncritical acceptance of irrational assumptions!" - Will Durant

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Wow...I was about to reply til I finished reading this post and realized the intelligence level I'd be trying to argue with. NO point.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:51 AM
link   
a reply to: byteshertz

Can't say I like you, only because I don't know you.
But I like it when someone can see clearly and write legibly.
Good post

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I do hope if nothing else, you at least have someone with more patience in here clue you in to what I always thought was obvious and needed no clarification...and that is that Tower of Babel is metaphorically identifying a behavior of some type WE TOO have an expression for, PLAYING GOD.

Now, there is an equally convincing way to interoperate the passage much more literally but based on the condescending and too-quick-to-judge way you opened this discussion, I guarantee you'd think it even more fanciful than a tower of everyone alive since it gets way sci fi although there is quite a bit of evidence surprisingly that keep this one a favorite interpretation for people nowadays

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Long long time follower of ATS and first time poster, love this site and all the people it brings together. It's so hard to find people that just do not give in to the modern media and what is really "true". I just wanted to throw my two cents on this, and I'm not judging any of you as it's not my place, the great thing about being human is our free will, ability to reason and form independent thought. I will say Christians do take a brunt of the religious beatings as has always been the case oh and Judaism. I rarely see posts bashing Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Shamanism, Mysticism etc.. in fact they actually get alot of positive reinforcement. Leaving a couple verses that I just felt was laid on me reading this thread. Oh here is a very good news site for anyone that is interested www.prophecyupdate.com and my brothers and sisters if you are believers or not we are all human and flawed and I love each and every one of you!

Even after Jesus had performed so many signs in their presence, they still would not believe in him. 38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet:

“Lord, who has believed our message
and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?”[h]

39 For this reason they could not believe, because, as Isaiah says elsewhere:

“He has blinded their eyes
and hardened their hearts,
so they can neither see with their eyes,
nor understand with their hearts,
nor turn—and I would heal them.”

41 Isaiah said this because he saw Jesus’ glory and spoke about him.

42 Yet at the same time many even among the leaders believed in him. But because of the Pharisees they would not openly acknowledge their faith for fear they would be put out of the synagogue; 43 for they loved human praise more than praise from God.

44 Then Jesus cried out, “Whoever believes in me does not believe in me only, but in the one who sent me. 45 The one who looks at me is seeing the one who sent me. 46 I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness.

47 “If anyone hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge that person. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save the world. 48 There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; the very words I have spoken will condemn them at the last day. 49 For I did not speak on my own, but the Father who sent me commanded me to say all that I have spoken. 50 I know that his command leads to eternal life. So whatever I say is just what the Father has told me to say.”

17 This is my command: Love each other.
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. 19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. 20 Remember what I told you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will persecute you also. If they obeyed my teaching, they will obey yours also. 21 They will treat you this way because of my name, for they do not know the one who sent me. 22 If I had not come and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; but now they have no excuse for their sin. 23 Whoever hates me hates my Father as well. 24 If I had not done among them the works no one else did, they would not be guilty of sin. As it is, they have seen, and yet they have hated both me and my Father. 25 But this is to fulfill what is written in their Law: ‘They hated me without reason.’[c]

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Chefmclifter

Sorry but that doesn't really make the story any less.. BS

No offence...

Welcome to ATS btw... what took you so long?

Heres a star

edit on 21-10-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Hahaha no offense at all, I don't get offended easily. The thing is everyone had their own take on religion, even atheism is a religion lol. Death is the great mystery and we really won't know who's right till we reach that door. I fee even if there was no religion at all it would be like the South Park episode where Cartman goes to the future and everyone is an atheist but there are 3 sects of atheism and they are killing each other over who is right. I know most of us here believe in other life, parallel universes, alternate dimesions etc.. but if you talk about a being so powerful that created everything in existence and non existence with nothing but love for what he made that would make himself mortal and sacrifice himself for that creation it seems that is too far out there lol.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Chefmclifter

Damn I haven't seen that one... lol

Stick around for a while eh... you're pretty cool

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Atheism requires far more faith than Christianity. Christianity has written records and a preponderance of evidence to support what is said in the bible.

Atheism has nothing supporting it except the blind faith of it's followers. And Christianity is not just blind faith like Atheism.

The truth is out there, and it will find you. If you want it to.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Thanks buddy, Yeah I'll post more often
you should check out the episode its from a few years back a two parter where Cartman doesn't want to wait a month for the Nintendo Wii so freezes himself and gets unfrozen like 1,000 years in the future where everyone has embraced the teachings of Richard Dawkins

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:44 AM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I agree actually... at least for hardcore Atheists..

People that "know" theres no God?

Believing is one thing but knowing?

Its preposterous

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Well, I'm sure there are many faceted proofs that for the most part, the Bible is BS. But this Element in the Bible takes the Cake by far

"Tower of Babel" I mean, Come on. All peoples of the Earth are living in the same location? and happen to build a Tower to the heavens and pisses God off, so he changes everyone nationality and language

Hell he doesn't even change their location...They all seem to find their way...Its Amazing

It takes 3000 plus years and google translate and we're back where we started

Wonder how God will feel if we start building that Tower again?

ur missing alot. and no there's nothing wrong. but i can start with one thing that you are wrong about. he did change their location. and divided the people by their languages and scattered them.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Byteshurtz

"What about the one where it rained on the rocks for thousands of years, made a soup that came to life, complex life formed in symbiotic relationships all at once which then produced species that could produce other species given enough time and eventually produce intelligent life. All from rocks and rain... Oh wait that is the science religions BS fairytale."

Post of the week award right there .! GIGGLEWORTHY

edit on 21-10-2015 by radarloveguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-10-2015 by radarloveguy because: xxx

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't think that the Bible's truth or accuracy (or lack of it) will ever be proven in such a way that people will buy into it or reject it. The Bible itself says that until people experience God (Spirit) for themselves the Bible is foolishness to them. (1 COR 2:14)

Why not? We reject the Greek Pantheon. We reject the Norse gods. We reject the Meso-American gods. Why do you assume that the bible myth can't be rejected as well?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

Questions. Are you a Christian? Do you believe that ANY parts of the bible are true?

The reason I ask is because as an ex-Catholic, I know that even to non-bible literalists, Christians take the bible as truth. It is a history book to them. So I ask them why it should be a history book when parts of it are wrong or are metaphors (I find this unlikely for all the inaccuracies, but whatever).
edit on 21-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 06:52 AM
link   

"Tower of Babel" I mean, Come on. All peoples of the Earth are living in the same location? and happen to build a Tower to the heavens and pisses God off, so he changes everyone nationality and language

Hell he doesn't even change their location...They all seem to find their way...Its Amazing

And this one time, in science class, I learned about how we all descended from mitochondrial Eve too ... Wasn't she in Africa? And all the people of the world moved out from there in a diaspora.

Of course, language, all language had to start somewhere. Maybe it started with that same ancestor in Africa?

But of course, that's not more of a crazy talk theory than any allegory in the Bible that more or less posits a similar thing.

Am I calling either idea more or less true than the other? No. Am I calling one or the other any more or less based in fact? No. I am pointing to the similarity.

But one is BS according to this thread and absolutely could NOT happen in that manner.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And this one time, in science class, I learned about how we all descended from mitochondrial Eve too ... Wasn't she in Africa? And all the people of the world moved out from there in a diaspora.

Of course, language, all language had to start somewhere. Maybe it started with that same ancestor in Africa?

But of course, that's not more of a crazy talk theory than any allegory in the Bible that more or less posits a similar thing.

Am I calling either idea more or less true than the other? No. Am I calling one or the other any more or less based in fact? No. I am pointing to the similarity.

But one is BS according to this thread and absolutely could NOT happen in that manner.

Eve or Adam as described in bible never existed. Human population at one point was very close to extinction around 70K years, but never down to one/two individuals. Language as everything else evolved, which we can trace back and group languages by place where they originated from, which is different from saying someone just changed already formed language and spread it around the world. Speaking of the world, bible never mentions anything beyond what people of that time knew... it has limited scope... and that explains lots of things, including myth about great flood, tower of babel story that was c/p, even story about Jesus is c/p and that was discussed here many times. There is no single piece of evidence of his existence outside of bible.

You got to hate that thing called evidence...

edit on 21-10-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join