It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow
a reply to: Barcs

Once again all this does is demonstrate that you don't know the stories. You haven't studied them. You know bits and pieces. But you don't have the big picture. You also reveal a lack of understanding of the seven dispensations and how the 66 books are divided. You also confuse culture and history with what the Bible actually teaches and instructs.

So in other words you have no rebuttal. Great. Nice speaking with you. I mean don't even attempt to explain them, just say I don't understand and call it a day. LOL. Good luck to you.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The following passage describes the sickening practice of sex slavery. How can anyone think it is moral to sell your own daughter as a sex slave?

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

So these are the Bible family values! A man can buy as many sex slaves as he wants as long as he feeds them, clothes them, and screws them!

What does the Bible say about beating slaves? It says you can beat both male and female slaves with a rod so hard that as long as they don't die right away you are cleared of any wrong doing.

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

You would think that Jesus and the New Testament would have a different view of slavery, but slavery is still approved of in the New Testament, as the following passages show.

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. (Ephesians 6:5 NLT)

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2 NLT)

In the following parable, Jesus clearly approves of beating slaves even if they didn't know they were doing anything wrong.

The servant will be severely punished, for though he knew his duty, he refused to do it. "But people who are not aware that they are doing wrong will be punished only lightly. Much is required from those to whom much is given, and much more is required from those to whom much more is given." (Luke 12:47-48 NLT)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

Women being inferior is another example of not understanding what the Bible actually says about men and women and marriage specifically.

Oh, come on. Woman are clearly assigned an inferior position throughout the Old Testament and New Testament.

You are so wrong. They had the most important part to play in any stable community. They had the responsibility to educate and direct children in the ways of life. They were the caretakers of morality. They were the basis on which a solid and stable community was formed. We took that responsibility away from the women and the upside down of the world is blamed on everything else but our own destabilizing of a solid value system.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Mitochondrial eve doesn't refer to a single woman.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

a reply to: DelMarvel

I would encourage you to read more than a couple passages and get a clear understanding of the distinct roles assigned to both genders. You'll discover that a lots of the responsibility actually falls upon the man. Again, men are instructed to love their wife more than their own life.

I've read the entire Bible.

Of course the responsibility falls on the man because the man is assigned the superior position.

There is absolutely no denying this no matter how many times you claim a superior understanding of scripture.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Ever heard of the cross?

It was Christians version of reformation.

Why post such verses and pretend that they are the final word here.

We all know that things have changed but if you all insist then I bet we could go back on all the "progress".

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: toktaylor

You are confusing history and culture with what the Bible teaches on the issue. The Bible has slavery listed with things such as murder. Yes it is true that there are depraved acts in the Bible including slavery and murder. The Bible also teaches that such acts are an "abomination".

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TheSorrow

The story of Babel plainly shows that the people believed that god lived in the clouds above, but since air and outer space travel has been invented, the christians have had to move the goal posts (heaven) further out into the far reaches of space into the great unknown. Or that god lives in another dimension undetectable to us poor lowly worthless humans.
According to Genesis 11:1, everyone on earth spoke .... Hebrew !!??
What of the Chinese, and I know Chinese history. The Chinese race can be traced back to at least 3000 B.C. Artifacts unearthed show language of Mandarin origin, not Hebrew. The Chinese race had never written its language in Hebrew; always Chinese. The author of Genesis obviously had no knowledge of great civilizations of China and India, or the Americas.
No offense to the Israelites, but they have nothing on the Chinese.
They developed their own language. And no, we don't believe the chinese forefathers spoke, or wrote, Hebrew.

The notion that the Mandarin language came from the mythical Babel incident is ridiculous. And they have built a mighty tower in Shanghai, ten times taller than the Babel tower. It's still standing. It is a testament to what modern engineering can accomplish. In fact, since the Babel tower incident, many many more towers have been erected in all five continents; all of them beautiful, all of them standing. If God was offended by Babel, a lowly tower, what then is his excuse for giving a pass on these later (much taller) towers ?

And talking about confusing the people with languages, it's now no big deal - it's so easy to blog/write/text on the internet. It doesn't matter what language, because Google will translate for you. So,is Google the great unifier, reversing the God of Babel ?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DirkHall

originally posted by: DelMarvel

Women being inferior is another example of not understanding what the Bible actually says about men and women and marriage specifically.

Oh, come on. Woman are clearly assigned an inferior position throughout the Old Testament and New Testament.

You are so wrong. They had the most important part to play in any stable community. They had the responsibility to educate and direct children in the ways of life. They were the caretakers of morality. They were the basis on which a solid and stable community was formed. We took that responsibility away from the women and the upside down of the world is blamed on everything else but our own destabilizing of a solid value system.

The caretakers of morality? Consult 1 Corinthians 14:

Womenf should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

The New Testament has numerous statements like this and of course women fare even worse in the Old Testament.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor
a reply to: TheSorrow

The story of Babel plainly shows that the people believed that god lived in the clouds above, but since air and outer space travel has been invented, the christians have had to move the goal posts (heaven) further out into the far reaches of space into the great unknown. Or that god lives in another dimension undetectable to us poor lowly worthless humans.
According to Genesis 11:1, everyone on earth spoke .... Hebrew !!??
What of the Chinese, and I know Chinese history. The Chinese race can be traced back to at least 3000 B.C. Artifacts unearthed show language of Mandarin origin, not Hebrew. The Chinese race had never written its language in Hebrew; always Chinese. The author of Genesis obviously had no knowledge of great civilizations of China and India, or the Americas.
No offense to the Israelites, but they have nothing on the Chinese.
They developed their own language. And no, we don't believe the chinese forefathers spoke, or wrote, Hebrew.

The notion that the Mandarin language came from the mythical Babel incident is ridiculous. And they have built a mighty tower in Shanghai, ten times taller than the Babel tower. It's still standing. It is a testament to what modern engineering can accomplish. In fact, since the Babel tower incident, many many more towers have been erected in all five continents; all of them beautiful, all of them standing. If God was offended by Babel, a lowly tower, what then is his excuse for giving a pass on these later (much taller) towers ?

And talking about confusing the people with languages, it's now no big deal - it's so easy to blog/write/text on the internet. It doesn't matter what language, because Google will translate for you. So,is Google the great unifier, reversing the God of Babel ?

Are you trying to claim that GOD does not live in the clouds?

Perhaps they were building toward something you can not see.

I think the Bible has made clear that there are unseen things all around us and much of the bible stories rely on this being true.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Wrong again. Never does it teach that they believe God was in the clouds. They were not trying to build vertically skyward to reach God physically.
edit on 21-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

You are confusing history and culture with what the Bible teaches on the issue. The Bible has slavery listed with things such as murder. Yes it is true that there are depraved acts in the Bible including slavery and murder. The Bible also teaches that such acts are an "abomination".

Please back this up with quotes. Thanks.

You keep telling everyone they are wrong and don't understand but won't back up anything you say.
edit on 21-10-2015 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chronogoblin
a reply to: SPECULUM

Just because you don't understand a thing, does not make it false. Your entire argument is biased, and agenda driven, like most anti-Christ drivel. All you have, like most of the people similar to you, is ridicule. Because it hurts your little ego to think that something may be greater than you, or that there may exist things in this World/reality which you cannot comprehend.
reality is biased towards atheism . . . religion is guess what? a conspiracy. AKA a group of people got together with a scam idea . . .and it worked! Hubbard and Joe Smith also used it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

“I kill ... I wound ... I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and mine sword shall devour flesh. – “-Deuteronomy 32:39-42

Let’s look at God's morality and use examples of unjustified murder in the bible, the ones that have the best chance at getting through to them are obviously those which are the MOST clearly unjustified - which include the killing of children and innocent people/civilians.

Such examples are bears mauling 42 children, Jephthah sacrificing his daughter, God killing King David's child to punish David, God inflicting thousands if not millions of civilians with tumors, Moses' army killing women and children, etc.

How many people did God kill in the Bible?
It's impossible to say for sure, but plenty. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? There's just no way to count them all.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs

Please back this up with quotes. Thanks.

You keep telling everyone they are wrong and don't understand but won't back up anything you say.

I have already in an earlier post.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: toktaylor

“I kill ... I wound ... I will make my arrows drunk with blood, and mine sword shall devour flesh. – “-Deuteronomy 32:39-42

Let’s look at God's morality and use examples of unjustified murder in the bible, the ones that have the best chance at getting through to them are obviously those which are the MOST clearly unjustified - which include the killing of children and innocent people/civilians.

Such examples are bears mauling 42 children, Jephthah sacrificing his daughter, God killing King David's child to punish David, God inflicting thousands if not millions of civilians with tumors, Moses' army killing women and children, etc.

How many people did God kill in the Bible?
It's impossible to say for sure, but plenty. How many did God drown in the flood or burn to death in Sodom and Gomorrah? How many first-born Egyptians did he kill? There's just no way to count them all.

If you go back and look at earlier post I covered many of those issues already.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

"I think the Bible has made clear that there are unseen things all around us and much of the bible stories rely on this being true."

Of course. the bible mention that that there are dragons, unicorns, behemoth, leviathan, giants, satyr...etc etc.
As Deists (or any sensible person) know through the exercise of our God-given reason, monsters are not real. And any book or writing that tries to portray such creatures as being real, is itself false. The Bible has numerous examples of attempting to portray various monsters as being real. Therefore, the Bible is false.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I would love to talk about the Tower of Babel on this thread. It appears a few people have even read the story. They don't know what it's about. There are no talking snakes, there are no whales, no flying turtles, no monsters and no unicorns. At least know who Nimrod is!

They are not building up skyward to physically reach God.

Although misquotes are a pet peeve of mine I'm gonna stop addressing that. If anyone else would like to comment on the story and about how it is fiction that is fine but at least take a moment to read the story and understand it before you judge it.

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Wrong again. Never does it teach that they believe God was in the clouds. They were not trying to build vertically skyward to reach God physically.

Well he is everywhere so being in the cloud should not be a problem...There is one more problem I found in it that actually brings the idea of God being omnipresent (everywhere at the same time) to question. Lets look at two verses from the narrative: Genesis 11:5,7: '5.And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of men builded. 7.Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech.' When the Lord found out about what man was planning to do he decided to go down and have a look for himself, and then after having done that, apparently he went back up and decided to conspire with whoever "us" was to confuse their languages with the ultimate goal being that they would stop building the tower. If God is present everywhere at all times then why o' why dear theologian would he have to get off of his precious throne to come verify what was going on?

posted on Oct, 21 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

You got me there. I do not recall the Bible ever calling God "omnipresent". Do you know where that is? I will take the time and look into it myself and study the matter.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join