It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single Element Proof The Bible Is BS

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

That is a good question. But I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The question should be how could a loving God not intervene and destroy the city?

It's hard for us to relate to as Americans because we have a justice system, even when the justice system fails there are advocacy groups and people that rise up to stand for truth and justice. In the case you're referring to it's a very different story.

Imagine that everything good has become evil and everything evil has become good. No longer is there anyone who stands for truth or justice. Murder, violence, rape, homosexuality, abortion- anything that opposes life and the reproduction of life is exalted. God even makes clear that he's willing and hoping to not have to act. He looks for anyone who can take a stand against this. And finds no one.

In this example society approves of death in all aspects, in all forms no matter how depraved. No one stands against it. Everything is opposed to life. As a result he steps in to put an end to it.
edit on 20-10-2015 by TheSorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I have more thoughts that this "Tower of Babel" thing is false. If the people were truly turned into different races as my Christians want me to believe (i.e rationalizing their book again) then every race should have the same exact origin story. Something along the lines of: "Along time ago we were this, then there was an incident at a tower, and now we are this race with this language." No one except the Christians has this fanciful tale of transformation from one race to another. Why?

The Aborigines of Australia do not believe they were transformed at a tower. Nor do Native Americans, nor Mayans, nor Aleut, nor... well you get the idea. All different stories...no two alike. This seminal event was experienced by every race on this planet yet somehow they all have their own idea on how they came to be? No, the inescapable conclusion is the Tower didn't happen, and since it never happened the peoples of the Earth were free to come up with their own creation fables.

edit on 20/10/15 by Foundryman because: spelling

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foundryman
I have more thoughts that this "Tower of Babel" thing is false. If the people were truly turned into different races as my Christians want me to believe (i.e rationalizing their book again) then every race should have the same exact origin story. Something along the lines of: "Along time ago we were this, then there was an incident at a tower, and now we are this race with this language." No one except the Christians has this fanciful tale of transformation from one race to another. Why?

The Aborigines of Australia do not believe they were transformed at a tower. Nor do Native Americans, nor Mayans, nor Aleut, nor... well you get the idea. All different stories...no two alike. This seminal event was experienced by every race on this planet yet somehow they all have their own idea on how they came to be? No, the inescapable conclusion is the Tower didn't happen, and since it never happened the peoples of the Earth were free to come up with their own creation fables.

Maybe someone should post the story. The Bible never mentions the creation of various races. In the specific story- Babel- there is a division of languages. Not races.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: amazing

I asked first.

That's a philosophical question. One that is beyond the scope of this thread. Although this thread attempts to answer a small part of that as it relates to the bible. We do this by picking some passages, scripture and story and ask why it's in the bible, if it negates the bible etc. Here's one example:

Logically is the story of Lot truth or fiction. If it is fiction and included in the bible what is the purpose. If it is fact, why would God Kill innocent babies in hellfire and brimstone?

They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spoke it, neither came it into my mind:

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

So why does it HAVE to be treated as a history book than?

Who says that?

Only the fundie effigy you keep holding up so everyone can see you burn it down. Literal absolutism is a view held by only a small minority of Bible folk. The official position of their religion may be one of literalism, granted; in which case criticism should be levied at the institution, not the individual believer or community thereof (and least of all the "book" itself).
edit on 10/20/15 by NthOther because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs
a reply to: SPECULUM

Why not just headline your thread as, hey lets bash one
of the best examples of ancient literature we have like
a bunch of ignorant monkeys.

From who's perspective?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
It's funny. The tower of Babel was supposed to be a tower that was being built in order to reach heaven. So god gets mad over this prehistoric piddlywink building and destroys it and confuses everybody's languages so they won't try again, because nobody is allowed to reach heaven without dying first. But then a few thousand years later we build towers much bigger and build rocket ships that can reach the moon and other planets no problem. But no sign of god and no sign of heaven. hmmmmmmmm...
God doesnt give a# anymore... That much is clear

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

From who's perspective?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Nice post

I wounder if the Tower is a space elevatore?

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

From who's perspective?
Take a look around..

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

You do realize that to th e people in th e middle east the world was just them and the people they met and knew of around there correct? SO in their view they were it till they discovered new ETHNICITIES but at the time they didnt know we all are the same race of people just with minor diffrences for where we live.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

You do realize that to th e people in th e middle east the world was just them and the people they met and knew of around there correct? SO in their view they were it till they discovered new ETHNICITIES but at the time they didnt know we all are the same race of people just with minor diffrences for where we live.

And this is the point that makes the bible irrelevant to the rest of the world. for 1000s of years man has died as Sinners and are now burning in Hell because God didn't forward that memo. Just think of those poor billions

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheSorrow

originally posted by: Titen-Sxull
a reply to: [post=19945413]ketsuko[/post

For example, The entire theme of the Bible does away with such things as slavery and murder.

How do you figure that? Paul's letter to Philemon clearly accepts the institution of slavery. There's nothing in the New Testament to contradict that. The most you can say is that Paul advocates decent treatment of slaves. Slavery was widespread in the Roman empire and it's not addressed anywhere in the New Testament and, of course, it is permitted by the Old Testament as well.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel

originally posted by: TheSorrow

originally posted by: Titen-Sxull
a reply to: [post=19945413]ketsuko[/post

For example, The entire theme of the Bible does away with such things as slavery and murder.

How do you figure that? Paul's letter to Philemon clearly accepts the institution of slavery. There's nothing in the New Testament to contradict that. The most you can say is that Paul advocates decent treatment of slaves. Slavery was widespread in the Roman empire and it's not addressed anywhere in the New Testament and, of course, it is permitted by the Old Testament as well.

Nah, read the whole book of Philemon. Slavery is opposed. Paul is actively working to free Onesimus.

This is another example of what I've been talking about. People nitpick different passages without understanding the larger picture. That's what was happening in reference to comments on the subject at hand- Babel.

Yes it is true that slavery is in the Bible. But is actually opposed by God in the Bible. I don't mind people don't believe in the Bible but the same time they misquoted it to make their points. Let's be intellectually honest.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Take a look around..

But I have my fellow member.

" As I have looked around this world lately, I can understand
perfectly why some might say there is no God. But I just can
not fathom looking out into the cosmos
and making the same claim ".

Abraham Lincoln

Think a bit about what this is saying. Okay that's enough. But
notice the difference Lincoln is referencing here. On this earth
where man exists and out there where he doesn't. It's easy to
just say God doesn't exist or he doesn't give a Sh#t anymore.
When you look at what we have dominion over. Our dominion
adds up to what you see and blame God for. IMO

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Deny ignorance? LMAO. Yeah sure, ok.

I won't quote the bible b/c obviously most here could care less, but the TOB story is NOT allegorical. (sorry wannabe apologists) There have been many stories posted here that get alot more respect/credibility here than the bible, yet are less credible, but b/c God isn't mentioned, MORE believable? ok, fine. Intellectually dishonest, but w/e.

So heres the short of it, not all my idea, but based on what I have found, yes there was a global flood & no it wasn't based on the reasons most of you KNOW. The antediluvian age didn't just consist of the time of Noah, but also the time of Jarod. That is the time where Nephilim & the watchers happened. It lasted for a thousand years. Noah came later & it was his family that was the last that wasn't corrupted. (Genetically changed) THAT is what caused the flood, the corruption of almost all flesh.

Four generations later, Nimrod entered the picture (aka Gilgamesh) It is said he became a Gibhoron (sp?) which meant he wasn't born a Nephilim, he changed into one. It is also said he was a hunter of men, that isn't quite correct either. He was a hunter of MIGHTY men, ie: Nephilim. Now when the bible says "If they continue, there isn't nothing THEY can do..." God isn't talking about men, he is talking about the Second incursion. (The genetic family tree from Noah's 3 wives whom WEREN'T genetically pure)

Use ur head, this isn't about height. TOB was built on the PLAINS of shinar, the lowest part. If its about height, why not make it on the mountain instead? The TOB was a stargate, or an attempted one at least. If instead of armchair quarterbacking, and sounding smarter than you are, and instead you read book of enoch, book of jasher, book of giants & book of jubilees, MAYBE you'd have a clearer picture of what happened & wouldn't sound so petulant. But its much easier to pee & moan about how dumb & naive christians are, huh?

pfft, ok.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

And this is the point that makes the bible irrelevant to the rest of the world. for 1000s of years man has died as Sinners and are now burning in Hell because God didn't forward that memo. Just think of those poor billions

Umm actually no. see when Jesus went to hell when he dies if i remember correctly he brought out all the people who died and sent them to a in between place so thye can learn about God. Hell dont re open till the final throne judgement when it temporarily returns to burn up souls as to make them so as they never existed.

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: schadenfreude
Deny ignorance? LMAO. Yeah sure, ok.

I won't quote the bible b/c obviously most here could care less, but the TOB story is NOT allegorical. (sorry wannabe apologists) There have been many stories posted here that get alot more respect/credibility here than the bible, yet are less credible, but b/c God isn't mentioned, MORE believable? ok, fine. Intellectually dishonest, but w/e.

So heres the short of it, not all my idea, but based on what I have found, yes there was a global flood & no it wasn't based on the reasons most of you KNOW. The antediluvian age didn't just consist of the time of Noah, but also the time of Jarod. That is the time where Nephilim & the watchers happened. It lasted for a thousand years. Noah came later & it was his family that was the last that wasn't corrupted. (Genetically changed) THAT is what caused the flood, the corruption of almost all flesh.

Four generations later, Nimrod entered the picture (aka Gilgamesh) It is said he became a Gibhoron (sp?) which meant he wasn't born a Nephilim, he changed into one. It is also said he was a hunter of men, that isn't quite correct either. He was a hunter of MIGHTY men, ie: Nephilim. Now when the bible says "If they continue, there isn't nothing THEY can do..." God isn't talking about men, he is talking about the Second incursion. (The genetic family tree from Noah's 3 wives whom WEREN'T genetically pure)

Use ur head, this isn't about height. TOB was built on the PLAINS of shinar, the lowest part. If its about height, why not make it on the mountain instead? The TOB was a stargate, or an attempted one at least. If instead of armchair quarterbacking, and sounding smarter than you are, and instead you read book of enoch, book of jasher, book of giants & book of jubilees, MAYBE you'd have a clearer picture of what happened & wouldn't sound so petulant. But its much easier to pee & moan about how dumb & naive christians are, huh?

pfft, ok.
There is no proof to any of it, yet Dinosaurs existed, and can be dug up, touched, and displayed ...Now why is that? The most Ancient of man has been found, yet no Nephlim, No openly Displayed "Supposed" Giants. I'd have an easier time believing in the Lord of the Rings Trilogy than any of the books of the Bible..Especially the last verse of Revelations...

edit on 20-10-2015 by SPECULUM because: of Jesus

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: SPECULUM

Umm actually no. see when Jesus went to hell when he dies if i remember correctly he brought out all the people who died and sent them to a in between place so thye can learn about God. Hell dont re open till the final throne judgement when it temporarily returns to burn up souls as to make them so as they never existed.

Woo Wow , Lucky them..How Convenient, while the rest of humanity has to play by the rules....MMM Hmmm

posted on Oct, 20 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

it's an anthology of historical prose and poetry (among other styles) written at various times by various authors over the span of hundreds and hundreds of years

A form of art, that some people decided to take it as truth and live their life, guided by its interpretation???

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join