It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 400 U.S. Cities May Be 'Past The Point Of No Return' With Sea Level Threats

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
a reply to: DBCowboy

It would take a majority of the scientific community to reverse their findings and publish them.

When it comes to science, I prefer to listen to scientists.

Why are scientists suddenly the bastion of ethics? I suppose no scientist has ever lied or has falsified data or written a paper to support a political aspect.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Science has no ethics... it only exists to search for facts.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Science has no ethics... it only exists to search for facts.

If only we could remove the human element from science. Then your statement would be accurate.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Specially when money talks, many scientist do their walk toward what that money can buy.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

Specially when money talks, many scientist do their walk toward what that money can buy.

and who else does that ?

The energy companies that also profit from denying climate change, perhaps.
They also pay "scientiest" to support their opinion. Do you deny this?

Id' much rather believe scientists from NASA, the military or NOAA.

perhaps a little research eh?

www.forbes.com...

edit on 16-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

The Gulf of Mexico has cooled off and the gulf stream is not pumping as much water as it was two weeks ago, hence the seasonal high tide flood appears to be over this year already. What you posted is a flood advisory issued as a result of wind driven water accumulation.

Every early fall SOUTH and CENTRAL FLORIDA will get these issued, and often for no reason other than the time of year and a full or new moon. This year they even had the advisories durring quarter moon when high tides are not as high.

This is NOT an El Niño event or El Niño related. This first got my attention in 2012 and has happened every fall since without El Niño.

I am not worried because I have a boat and don't own land, but it is a bit of a nuisance having so many docks submerged.

edit on 16-10-2015 by jrod because: correction

edit on 16-10-2015 by jrod because: cc

edit on 16-10-2015 by jrod because: mo typos

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Here is another aspect of sea level that I never hear any scientist mention.

Are you familiar with Archimedes and his Principles regarding fluid dynamics, fluid displacement, and floatation ?

Basically it means, and you probably have seen this yourself when you get in a bath of water, when an object is placed in water whether it floats or sinks it will cause an equivalent (either mass or volume) amount of water to be displaced, and in the case of a bath the water rises up in proportion to the amount of your body that is submerged.

So can we think about everytime it rains anywhere on the planet an amount of soil, rocks, debris is washed into the sea down rivers. We call it land erosion. Everytime the tide comes in and goes out it takes more sand and mud from the shore into the sea. Everytime there is a major storm parts of the shore line are washed away into the sea.

Each year the amount of earth that is taken into the sea must be enormous. That earth has a volume and that volume of water has to be displaced and that will cause the sea to rise.

Sure the sea level rises relative to a fixed point on the land but it doesn't mean there is more water it just means the space it was occupying got less. It has to go somewhere.

Even without mans intervention this process alone would over a long enough period of time result in the sea encroaching onto the land as eventually all of the land is washed away by wind, waves and rain.

btw: technically this process could be reversed. We could if we wanted to send dredgers out to sea and lift tons of sand and mud off the bottom . If you lift enough and throw back onto the land the sea level would go down.
edit on b5910155910 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Even the big Oil Companies are on board with reducing Climate Change. You'd think the opposite...

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

It would take a majority of the scientific community to reverse their findings and publish them.

When it comes to science, I prefer to listen to scientists.

Why are scientists suddenly the bastion of ethics? I suppose no scientist has ever lied or has falsified data or written a paper to support a political aspect.

So lets do the usual and paint all scientists with the broad brush because some have no ethics, which last I checked was an individual human trait? Nice.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

When did I say all? But from the stance of the followers, it appears as though NO scientist has ever made a mistake, had a lapse in ethics. Unless their studies indicated something that went contrary to your beliefs.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:12 PM
link   
So, are people more interested in coming up with courses of action everyone can get behind, or in converting others to see what is happening in a specific narrative?

I ask simply because many plans could be made that I would personally support, regardless of what percentage we contribute to the climate changing. I know many that feel the same way, and I don't know of anyone that trusts "big oil."

Yet, we spend our time preaching narratives rather than discussing solutions. Many things could be done to reduce environmental impact that even the most zealous anti-AGW person could get behind..

Its really too bad we are so strongly programmed to battle over perspectives rather than learn how to pursue actions which will benefit everyone involved.

So, what sorts of things can we do that everyone can agree on?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

So much time, money and effort is being spent to gain support for this because the solutions that government wants to impose will remove freedoms and raise taxes. That's why they need followers for this.

Just my theory anyways. This is a conspiracy site, isn't it?

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Serdgiam

So much time, money and effort is being spent to gain support for this because the solutions that government wants to impose will remove freedoms and raise taxes. That's why they need followers for this.

Just my theory anyways. This is a conspiracy site, isn't it?

I believe you are spot on.

Situations are framed in a way that you would have to be "crazy" not to support them, and then actions are taken that benefit only a select few and rarely actually address the problem.

I mean, you are against killing the planet, right? Surely, throwing money at it will solve things! And surely, given the track record of governing bodies, they are the right ones to save us. Just trust them.. and give them more power and money.

Certainly, under no circumstance, should we attempt to pursue actions on our own that everyone could agree upon regardless of ideology!
edit on 16-10-2015 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

What are you afraid of? Do you trust corporate giants to tell you the truth? They're as capable of buying facts as anyone

It's actually (and astonishingly) hilarious that you think the energy giants have your best interests at heart and not their own

And that most of the scientists from around the world from more than just one discipline would lie

It's almost like you guys are just trolling

:-)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Not trolling. Since when is disagreeing called trolling?

As for being afraid, I'd place that back at the followers who constantly shout fear at the climate.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Even the big Oil Companies are on board with reducing Climate Change. You'd think the opposite...

Yes, and also - one of the favorite arguments used against the USA working on this at all has been that we can't do it alone:

The mistake the conservatives have made lies in their assumption that American policy has no bearing upon Chinese policy. The two have turned out to be closely linked. China, in fact, has undergone an energy revolution far more rapid than anything under way in the U.S. — the country that supposedly couldn’t be shamed into action has, instead, shamed us. As a result, the scale and pace of the change are almost incomprehensible.

This is the year humans finally got serious about saving themselves from themselves.

There you go masqua - made me feel a bit better about things. Even if only temporarily :-)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

It was meant to be funny. But, seriously - trolling because...well, never mind then - there really is no point is there? :-)

Climate change is real - doesn't matter whether or not you agree about the cause - it's happening

Many people around the world are actively working on this issue from many different angles. Governments are going to be making agreements with each other, implementing all sorts of plans - your ability or inability to understand any of this doesn't matter

Oh, I know - one world government and all that...TPTB - taxation and then all sorts of nefarious conspiracies make more sense to some than the fact that we've been steadily putting crap into our atmosphere for decades that traps heat

Some people have more important things to do than cut off their nose to spite their face - taking down the planet and human civilization with it

There's a part of me that wants to end all these ridiculous arguments in all these threads with - I guess we'll see who's right soon enough

I don't want to be right - I want you to be right

But - you're not

edit on 10/16/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Keep peddling fear. I'll refute it because it isn't settled science, the fervor is irrational, fear mongering is immature and the more people threaten others in order to believe, the more I will distrust you followers.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Sadly on that we will never agree on, but is ok to disagree and agree, we all have our own opinions and we also base those opinions on what we believe and research on, If we humans had a collective mind without individual thinking our world would be the most incredibly happy world in the universe.

But we have free minds, thankfully, so we will not be so bored with each other.

I appreciate the diplomacy - and admire your ability to be amicably philosophical about all this. That is me being completely sincere :-)

But, this is not the kind of subject about which we can agree to disagree outside of these threads where we give each other so much grief

You talk about the money involved, and worry about what it means for our freedoms farther down the road. I'm afraid you won't like this much - but an enormous amount of money is going to be put into these endeavors - and our freedoms might be less - or different - in the future

Here's what I think...I think that people (mostly very reasonably and understandably) don't want this to be true. It's too much to consider

But, marg - there is going to come a time when it will be better for all of us if we all pull together. It will keep us freer

Keep reading. Don't close your mind or only let it wander where you feel safe. The world needs thinkers

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

You can't refute it

You can only deny it

:-)

See you around the board Cowboy...

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join