It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Than 400 U.S. Cities May Be 'Past The Point Of No Return' With Sea Level Threats

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043
The same thing happened last year in late September, and the year before that. This yearly event got my attention back in 2012.

The moon phase does come into play too. The same thing will happen again next year from mid September to mid October, with or without El Niño.

I seriously challenge someone with doubts to come down to south Florida in that time frame during a New or Full Moon and see how many docks are under water or close to being submerged.

edit on 15-10-2015 by jrod because: acc

edit on 15-10-2015 by jrod because: c

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

El niño has nothing to do with the seasonal high water south and central Florida experience.

The reason why the East Coast, especially the Northeast sees cooler winters during El Nino events is because they get stronger westerly winds this results in the air mass blowing over the land, which is much cooler thus bringing cooler air than wind blowing off the ocean.

El Niño often inhibits the Atlantic hurricanes because those westerly winds cause wind shear in the Atlantic hurricane basin.

That is a simple explanation and I may have missed something important
edit on 15-10-2015 by jrod because: rr

edit on 15-10-2015 by jrod because: aa

edit on 15-10-2015 by jrod because: gg

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: bigyin

If sea levels are truly falling, can you provide evidence to that claim?

Also the Florida keys have been under a coastal flood advisory for a good portion of the past month, due to higher than predicted tides. This kind of event certainly does not indicate sea levels are falling.

My first evidence as I said already is take yourself to the shore and see where the water comes to. In my case where I've lived for over 50 years there is no decernable change.

Next go to NOAA site and look up sea levels. They give a bunch of readings spanning up to approx 100 years. They concede that their readings do not take account of land movement. So in fact they mean nothing.

100 years is not a long time when talking about sea levels.

For a better picture you need to step back a bit and look at 1000's of years.

When you do that you find that from about 22000 years ago to about 6000 years ago sea levels went up by 140m

Please note there were no carbon emissions by people during that time. VW cars had not been invented yet.

From 6000 years ago to about 1500 years ago levels continued to rise but at slower rate.

From 1500 years ago till now the level has fallen by about 1m.

The highest it ever was was 1500 years ago.

source www.sciencemag.org...

In the period of 1500 years the level is sometimes going up and sometimes is going down.

The reasons given for the ups and downs are many and varied but in truth nobody really fully understands it.

If your going to take the last 100 years and see a miniscule upward trend and then say that proves something I say your wrong. Looking at 1500 years shows a huge reduction in levels.

Read this notrickszone.com...

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
As you say is not the same as providing actual evidence to your claim.

I really think you may have missed the point of my discussion about Florida's seasonal high water in early fall that has prompted coastal flood advisories every fall since at least 2012.

If anything that might be an indication that there might be some truth in the claim that sea levels are rising.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigyin

If sea levels are truly falling, can you provide evidence to that claim?

Also the Florida keys have been under a coastal flood advisory for a good portion of the past month, due to higher than predicted tides. This kind of event certainly does not indicate sea levels are falling.

My first evidence as I said already is take yourself to the shore and see where the water comes to. In my case where I've lived for over 50 years there is no decernable change.

Next go to NOAA site and look up sea levels. They give a bunch of readings spanning up to approx 100 years. They concede that their readings do not take account of land movement. So in fact they mean nothing.

100 years is not a long time when talking about sea levels.

For a better picture you need to step back a bit and look at 1000's of years.

When you do that you find that from about 22000 years ago to about 6000 years ago sea levels went up by 140m

Please note there were no carbon emissions by people during that time. VW cars had not been invented yet.

From 6000 years ago to about 1500 years ago levels continued to rise but at slower rate.

From 1500 years ago till now the level has fallen by about 1m.

The highest it ever was was 1500 years ago.

source www.sciencemag.org...

In the period of 1500 years the level is sometimes going up and sometimes is going down.

The reasons given for the ups and downs are many and varied but in truth nobody really fully understands it.

If your going to take the last 100 years and see a miniscule upward trend and then say that proves something I say your wrong. Looking at 1500 years shows a huge reduction in levels.

Read this notrickszone.com...

But see, here's the problem. You make sense, but you are basically implying that NASA or thousands of other scientists, had no idea that they should take this into consideration. You somehow were able to figure the missing piece of the puzzle out and out smarted all of these scientific organizations and individual scientists. Bravo! Either that or those thousands of Scientists are lying to us. All of them.

Neither of those premises makes sense to me. I'm not doubting your intelligence, i'm just implying that most of those scientists are at least as intelligent as you are.

It would make more sense that they did take this into consideration, are not lying to me and have considered many, many other factors and all kinds of data.
edit on 15-10-2015 by amazing because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Make Lots of Money!!!
buy the land that will be the new cost.
you can sell beach homes.

just like lex luthor in the first super man film.
I bet the FED owns the land!

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

That's not very intellectually honest.

Sums up the whole climate change denial group very succinctly

The entire world is to some extent being held hostage by these people

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Doubt any of us will witness this. At a few millimeters a year, or a few more added for acceleration, it is going to take a while.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Doubt any of us will witness this. At a few millimeters a year, or a few more added for acceleration, it is going to take a while.

But this is a complicated issue. We don't know what will happen. We could get some rapid ice melt and a few feet. Or we could get a few inches or centimeters and that might be enough to cause some bigger more devastating storm surges.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   

As you say is not the same as providing actual evidence to your claim.

I really think you may have missed the point of my discussion about Florida's seasonal high water in early fall that has prompted coastal flood advisories every fall since at least 2012.

If anything that might be an indication that there might be some truth in the claim that sea levels are rising.

Ok dude, tbh I'm reading the OP about cutting carbon emissions to stop the threat of rising sea levels, and talk about a point of no return.

What is this point of no return. There is no point. Fact is sea levels have gone up and down over millions of years. Nothing anybody can do about it. So stop listening to snake oil salesmen trying to make out if you buy their product you can prevent it happening, because you won't.

What you can do is calculate using current data where the level will be during your lifetime and move to an area your comfortable with. I would suggest that nothing will change in the next 50 years that will affect any of us.

Generations to follow will just have to adapt to whatever the sea level gets to whether up or down. There is nothing we can do to prevent the level change. It's been changing since long before we got here and will continue long after we are gone.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   
a reply to: amazing

I'm not smart. The scientists can tell us where the sea levels were at various times in the past. Thats smart. And if you read what they tell you you will find out that compared to 1500 years ago the sea level is way down.

So whether sea level is going up or down all depends from which point in time you want to compare.

If you compare from 50 years ago to today it has gone up a little.

If you compare from 1500 years ago to today it has gone down a lot.

If you go further back like millions of years you find out there is a a cycle of going way up and then way down.

If anyone thinks turning their tv off at night is going to stop an eons old natural cycle which probably is controlled by our sun then be my guest. If it makes you feel better then why not.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Ok, this is something some people never seem to understand.

1.Were people in ancient times displaced because of Climate Changes?... Yes...

Ancient Megacities Were Displaced Due To A Changing Climate: Study

doi:10.1016/j.quaint.2007.06.001

Copyright © 2007 Elsevier Ltd and INQUA All rights reserved.
Extreme Nile floods and famines in Medieval Egypt (AD 930–1500) and their climatic implications

References and further reading may be available for this article. To view references and further reading you must purchase this article.

Fekri A. Hassana,

aInstitute of Archaeology, University College London, 31-34 Gordon Square, WC1H 0PY, London, UK

Available online 7 June 2007.

Abstract
Nile gauge records of variations in Nile floods from the 9th century to the 15th century AD reveal pronounced episodes of low Nile and high Nile flood discharge. Historical data reveal that this period was also characterized by the worst known famines on record. Exploratory comparisons of variations in Nile flood discharge with high-resolution data on sea surface temperature of the North Atlantic climate from three case studies suggest that rainfall at the source of the Nile was influenced by the North Atlantic Oscillation. However, there are apparently flip-flop reversals from periods when variations in Nile flood discharge are positively related to North Atlantic warming to periods where the opposite takes place. The key transitions occur atAD 900, 1010, 1070, 1180, 1350 and 1400. The putative flip-flop junctures, which require further confirmation, appear to be quite rapid and some seem to have had dramatic effects on Nile flood discharge, especially if they recurred at short intervals, characteristic of the period from the 9th to the 14th century, coincident with the so-called Medieval Warm Period. The transition from one state to the other was characterized by incidents of low, high or a succession of both low and high extreme floods. The cluster of extreme floods was detrimental causing famines and economic disasters that are unmatched over the last 2000 years.

www.sciencedirect.com

But somehow the ongoing Climate Change in the form of warming which started at around the 1600s is now being blamed on humans...

Time to pay more taxes folks, and bow down to the One World Government so they can squeeze the common people of more money, and not the major companies who simply "buy carbon credits" and keep on with their industry.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Good God can we stop with these dire predictions. By now there was supposed to be no more sea ice and no more snow on Kilimanjaro, and 10 category 5 hurricanes a year. Give it up already

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Trying to compare what is happening today to ancient history is comparing apples to oranges. 1500 years ago we were not dumping so many gigatons of CO2 into the atmosphere.

Ive seen first hand evidence of a rising ocean. Seriously go to south Florida next early fall and see for yourself evidence of sea level rise and how it us already affecting civilization.

You can pretend that the rise won't be noticeable, and I was skeptical of sea level rise until the coastal flooding got my attention.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing

originally posted by: roadgravel

But this is a complicated issue. We don't know what will happen. We could get some rapid ice melt and a few feet. Or we could get a few inches or centimeters and that might be enough to cause some bigger more devastating storm surges.

True. Doubt the ultimate path can be predicted. It might hinge on a critical point where rate makes a dramatic change.

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I do believe there are sock puppets whose goal is to make it appear that being in denial of the science behind climate change is more popular than it really is, manufacturing a consensus.

Editorial Exxon's damaging denial on climate change

And then there are the sock puppet masters.

Are PR agencies happy to work for climate change deniers?

posted on Oct, 15 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   

What 200 years from now? We'll likely have plasma as an energy source by then, so tech will solve the day.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   

That is what I'm trying to tell people over and over again, in America is a reason why science is been vilified if is not from "government reliable source" people has been conditioned from school age to hate science in the classroom, to ignore historical facts established already for the theories of profiting bastards in order to further agendas that the only reason they are there is to make money and change public opinion.

Is a fact that people tend to see life and history in their own life terms because many do not have the capacity to deal with anything that is beyond their own life span

If you drill a child that the world is going to end over and over again, or that current earth cycles are rare, never seen before and record braking they are going to believe it, the incredible infusion of money to create a crisis that is not there is just mind blowing, is happening on the news media every day, the weather channel chose of wording, is on the mouth of buy out politicians is all over.

The results of the propaganda is paying off, people are panicking, people are believing that they will died that earth have not future unless you let the government dictate how to save the earth.

IS A LIE, they are taking something that is natural and part of the ever changing earth and making in into something dirty, bad and blaming humans for it, in order to create scams to make money.

Before the sea levels raises as a natural cycle of earth it will be a long, long time before we can even see it and is not going to be in our generation, or next generation and no even the next one after that and it may not even happen anyway.

Is trillions of dollars invested already on the global warming scam so what can we expect from all that money but pay off propaganda.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

If you look back a few pages I posted how much money all those gas and oil companies has been in front page of financing the global warming scam man made scam, they started with just a few millions of dollars during the 90s and 2000s and now is Trillions of dollars investment for them since the global warming scare took hold in 2011, Why is that, they are to profit from the global warming scare because they have the money to pay for the new investments that already are in place as tocks, innovations and scams like the propaganda we are seen everyday.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 06:33 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Keeping people scare on what may or not happen and how soon have big pay offs.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join