It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MASS SHOOTING reported at Oregon college campus 15 dead atleast MANY MORE INJURED

page: 37
<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: WP4YT

Do you have any idea how challenging it is for even a well trained law enforcement to take down an armed assailant who has opened fire on them?

To many people confuse movies with real life. Some sophomore, soccer mom or plumber with a Glock is more likely to be fudging their huggies than doing anything "helpful" with their gun. And if they do start spray and praying they're more than likely to hit innocent bystanders than the bad guy.

We need to stop whackos from getting guns.

End of argument.
edit on 2-10-2015 by DwayneUSA because: spelling error

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: WP4YT

These shooters always target gun free zones. ALWAYS. You never hear about these mass killers shooting up the local gun club or police station.

I don't understand why anti gun liberals can't grasp this. Not allowing guns on campus will NEVER stop a criminal from doing this.

But basically every public area in Australia and the UK are gunfree zones, yet we never have mass shootings. I wonder why that is?

More guns won't solve this problem, no matter how many guns there are within society, there will always be places where people congregate and choose not to carry guns.

As hard as it is to understand, not everyone wants to constantly walk around packing a deadly weapon. Simply because some Americans don't want the hassle of going to a little effort to purchase a firearm.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DwayneUSA

Do you have any idea how challenging it is for even a well trained law enforcement to take down an armed assailant who has opened fire on them?

To many people confuse movies with real life. Some sophomore, soccer mom or plumber with a Glock is more likely to be fudging their huggies than doing anything "helpful" with their gun. And if they do start spray and praying they're more than likely to hit innocent bystanders than the bad guy.

End of argument.

Not really.

Shooter enters classroom threatening to kill. You pull out your pistol. Shooter didn't expect it at all, because he purposely chose the campus thinking no one there would stop him. You take him down while he's sitting there crapping his drawers.

Yeah of course it's going to be harder for police to take him down, because he's expecting it.

edit on 2-10-2015 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Why doesn't this kind of thing happen in Canada? There are no concealed carry permissions or "rights" in Canada so the entire country is basically a "gun free zone" with the exception of law enforcement. So that argument for why it happens in US gun free areas is kind of silly.

I mean they have gun crime in Canada as well but nothing to this extent. And Canadians are allowed to own a wide variety of semi automatic handguns and rifles and, per capita, actually have a huge number of legally owned firearms. MInd you they have extremely strict licensing regulations that require extensive background checks, personal reference checks, an interview, mandatory firearms training, passing practical and written tests demonstrating proficiency of proper, safe use, knowledge of storage, transport laws, etc.

Wait...I think I just answered my own question.

Perhaps Americans need to rethink our "right" for anyone to have easy access to weapons like this?

Your thoughts?

Simple. There are a lot more guns in America...

That's nonsense. There are plenty of firearms in Canada.

PLENTY.

In fact, in some cases the Canadian restrictions on what firearms their licensed gun owners can have is more relaxed than it is in many parts of the USA. Yet they don't mass shoot each other. Funny that?
edit on 2-10-2015 by DwayneUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

End of argument.

Law enforcement is not well trained,most PD's only have each officer shoot 100 rounds per year, I shoot 10x that in 6 months. Also you clearly have never had you use a gun in self defense, I had a break in way back in the day when I lived in Texas and I had no problem shooting the burgler and his buddy in my house with only dim lighting,I only had fired 4 rounds,1 double tap per burgler, they were dead before the police arrived to clean them up off my floor.Luckily I had my 1911 on my night stand that night or I might have been the one who died cause they both had guns,but I caught them by surprise and I much faster on the draw.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

These shooters always target gun free zones. ALWAYS. You never hear about these mass killers shooting up the local gun club or police station.

I don't understand why anti gun liberals can't grasp this. Not allowing guns on campus will NEVER stop a criminal from doing this.

But basically every public area in Australia and the UK are gunfree zones, yet we never have mass shootings. I wonder why that is?

More guns won't solve this problem, no matter how many guns there are within society, there will always be places where people congregate and choose not to carry guns.

As hard as it is to understand, not everyone wants to constantly walk around packing a deadly weapon. Simply because some Americans don't want the hassle of going to a little effort to purchase a firearm.

Right. And how many guns are in Australia? Your whole country is a gun free zone, that's why it works.

America has far too many guns to ever be a gun free country. The constitution would first have to be re written to ban guns, which would require a consensus of 3/4 of Americans agreeing. And then, you would have to spend trillions going door to door and many years confiscating the guns from the 400 million households across the 3rd largest country by land size. good luck.

It will never happen.

In the mean time, we could save lives by arming and training non criminals.

But the anti-gun crowd doesn't really care about saving lives. It's more about keeping the population under control. It's why the most anti gun countries are always under a crown or dictator.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Are you a shooter? I am. I only shoot paper. 99.9% of the private citizen gun owners do not put in the necessary range time to be accurate with a handgun outside of 10 feet. And that's shooting at a stationary target...not some nut who's shooting back.

I've seen officers with 25 years on the job miss in critical high stress situations. I've seen them empty an entire magazine at an assailant in a living room and hit nothing but air. I've seen then short shuck their shotgun and jam it. I've also seen them put rounds through walls and kill innocent children on the other side. And you think regular citizens can do better?

You think you're saying the right things but you're wrong. You're just plain wrong. And I pray it's never your wife or child caught in the crossfire of some citizen with 10 hours of range time blasting away at a some nut.
edit on 2-10-2015 by DwayneUSA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Why doesn't this kind of thing happen in Canada? There are no concealed carry permissions or "rights" in Canada so the entire country is basically a "gun free zone" with the exception of law enforcement. So that argument for why it happens in US gun free areas is kind of silly.

I mean they have gun crime in Canada as well but nothing to this extent. And Canadians are allowed to own a wide variety of semi automatic handguns and rifles and, per capita, actually have a huge number of legally owned firearms. MInd you they have extremely strict licensing regulations that require extensive background checks, personal reference checks, an interview, mandatory firearms training, passing practical and written tests demonstrating proficiency of proper, safe use, knowledge of storage, transport laws, etc.

Wait...I think I just answered my own question.

Perhaps Americans need to rethink our "right" for anyone to have easy access to weapons like this?

Your thoughts?

Simple. There are a lot more guns in America...

That's nonsense. There are plenty of firearms in Canada.

PLENTY.

In fact, in some cases the Canadian restrictions on what firearms their licensed gun owners can have is more relaxed than it is in many parts of the USA. Yet they don't mass shoot each other. Funny that?

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Right. And how many guns are in Australia? Your whole country is a gun free zone, that's why it works.

America has far too many guns to ever be a gun free country. The constitution would first have to be re written to ban guns, which would require a consensus of 3/4 of Americans agreeing. And then, you would have to spend trillions going door to door and many years confiscating the guns from the 400 million households across the 3rd largest country by land size. good luck.

It will never happen.

In the mean time, we could save lives by arming and training non criminals.

But the anti-gun crowd doesn't really care about saving lives. It's more about keeping the population under control. It's why the most anti gun countries are always under a crown or dictator.

Um, actually it did happen in Australia. After a number of mass shootings and increasing gun violence the government dramatically overhauled their firearms laws. With measurable success I might add.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DwayneUSA

Pretty true. We have our guns. I doubt half of Canadians registered their guns in that botched PoS. We like them. We just don't need them.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: DwayneUSA

Pretty true. We have our guns. I doubt half of Canadians registered their guns in that botched PoS. We like them. We just don't need them.

Unfortunately most of the gun crime that takes place in Canada is committed with firearms smuggled in from the USA.

A sad, unwanted gift to our northern brothers and sisters.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   

They left Canada off that graph, it would be right after France. There are 31 guns per 100 residents of Canada.

I think that still counts as plenty.

link   
I'm gonna put it like this. I am a patriot and I support the 2nd amendment (even got a tattoo). I'm a life long member of the NRA and I believe that good, honest, law abiding, SANE, Americans should be able to own whatever firearms they want. Where I differ from my gun loving brethren is that I believe their need to be some serious regulation and licensing. I support mandatory testing, strict secure/safe storage laws and taking whatever measure necessary to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally unstable and the criminal.

If you can't pass a drivers test you don't get to legally drive a car...I support the same regulation for firearms.

link   
316,545 gun deaths in the last decade in the U.S.... 313 from terrorism. Untold billion$ are spent to combat the latter, yet nary a firearms law has been amended to combat the veritable war zone the U.S. has become.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Are you a shooter? I am. I only shoot paper. 99.9% of the private citizen gun owners do not put in the necessary range time to be accurate with a handgun outside of 10 feet. And that's shooting at a stationary target...not some nut who's shooting back.

I've seen officers with 25 years on the job miss in critical high stress situations. I've seen them empty an entire magazine at an assailant in a living room and hit nothing but air. I've seen then short shuck their shotgun and jam it. I've also seen them put rounds through walls and kill innocent children on the other side. And you think regular citizens can do better?

You think you're saying the right things but you're wrong. You're just plain wrong. And I pray it's never your wife or child caught in the crossfire of some citizen with 10 hours of range time blasting away at a some nut.

Most officer couldn't hit a target that was swaying in the breeze,I operate an indoor range that has 5-10 cops almost everyday and they are some of the worst shots out there,most of the civilians that go to my range could easily out shoot any cop. I think you give cops way too much credit,most of them put less rounds through there guns in 10 years than a civilian does in 2-3 years.Most cops that have been my range would barely pass the requirements for a concealed carry license.

Count me as part of that .01%
I shoot 2,000-5,000 rounds per year and I can hit a bullseye out to 50 yards with every handgun I own,even my snub nose .38 special.I shoot moving targets and do all sorts of shooting drills.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:36 AM
link   

If you can't pass a drivers test you don't get to legally drive a car...I support the same regulation for firearms.

But you can become the president of the United States of America as long as you have the money and believe a magical man of conspicuous inaction (beyond "His" apparent relish for penile prepuce) floats in the sky...(?) =/

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   
U.S. media reports gunman who killed 9 people in a shooting at a college in #Oregon was born in England & moved to America when he was young

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I've seen them empty an entire magazine at an assailant in a living room and hit nothing but air.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:40 AM
link   

End of argument.

When you explain how to do that, then it might be the end of the argument.
Not to mention that anyone, including me or you, police, and a group of vengeful Nuns, government run amok, could become a "whacko" at any given moment in our lives.
Give Obama a gun in a town full of unarmed conservatives? Maybe that would work.

posted on Oct, 2 2015 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheInhumanCentipede
316,545 gun deaths in the last decade in the U.S.... 313 from terrorism. Untold billion$ are spent to combat the latter, yet nary a firearms law has been amended to combat the veritable war zone the U.S. has become.

I don't know where you get your data from but the official FBI data only shows roughly 120k deaths by guns in the years 2002 - 2012 while 60% of these are suicide related and a good 15% are accidental kills. The rest is divided in several classes, where mass-shootings don't even get into the 1% tile.

www.fbi.gov...

top topics

<< 34  35  36    38  39  40 >>

join