It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Flight Attendant Files Complaint Because Airline Expects Her To Serve Drinks To Passengers

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: neo96

Make an exception for the flight attendant. Have to make one for the county clerk.

As far as I can tell, no exception has been made for the flight attendant. Of course, she was not elected to do a job.

Doesn't make one damn bit of difference.

She had the first amendment protection, and the RFRA.

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

www.law.cornell.edu...

The state can not compel someone to violate their belief.

Then doubled down with the RFRA.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

She is free to express her opinions. Show me where it says she's free to ignore the duties of her job.

or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

Does the Constitution or Bill of Rights absolve one of responsibility for one's actions?
You know that when you accept a job you are accepting certain responsibilities, right?
Do you think that, maybe, somewhere, she agreed to uphold the laws of the land as part of her responsibilities as a public official?
Do you think that, maybe, she has reneged on that agreement? Or did that agreement include "as long as I agree with them?"

edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Annee

Simply because it probably can't always happen. People get sick, it gets really busy, short handed, etc.

That is true. And imagine that every flight attendant on a plane is Muslim.

Yes, that too.

It's just not realistically feasible --- in most cases.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Imagine there's no heaven

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Imagine there's no heaven

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Doesn't the Muslim religion forbid women from working?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If this woman had her hostess job BEFORE converting to Islam, then she should have quit her job because she would have realised that her job conflicted with her religion.

It's as simple as that. Her religion (ie way of life) should take priority over anything else.
I think a lawyer could successfully argue this in court.

But anyway, how is it forbidden for a Muslim to serve alcohol, but hotels in Muslim countries have bars (staffed by locals) where you can obtain an alcoholic drink? Can any Muslim on this board explain how that works to me?
edit on 8915 by symphonyofblase because: Edited to clarify

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Spider879

Where's the outrage over this? People are so angry about Kim Davis being jailed and denied religious freedom but not this.

Oh I forgot the reason. Dummy me.

This is private sector, there are no constitutional rights, or any rights for the employee for that matter.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
I'm gonna come out and say it. The people on this site are using this as a chance to whine about immigrants. I

That's just a cheap shot. I don't even know if she's an immigrant, but I don't whine about immigrants.

originally posted by: neo96
Muslim Flight Attendant Files Complaint Because Airline Expects Her To Serve Drinks To Passengers
And a county clerk got thrown in jail because she wouldn't violate hers.

The Muslim flight attendant (public sector job) arranged for someone else to do that part of her job. She DID NOT file a complaint. Her co-worker filed it against HER.

The county clerk (elected government official) PROHIBITED anyone in her office from doing that part of her job.

Make an exception for the flight attendant. Have to make one for the county clerk.

It became difficult (for whatever reason) to continue to make an exception for the flight attendant.

The county clerk made it IMPOSSIBLE to make an exception for her.

Maybe if you knew the stories a little better, you'd understand.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Both women still have their first amendment rights. Their rights have NEVER - NOT FOR ONE MOMENT - been violated or at risk.

The first amendment does NOT guarantee complete religious freedom to do whatever you want, it's freedom to exercise your religion without GOVERNMENT interference.

You are mistaken to think that ANY "religious freedom" law allows religious people to do whatever they wish. You need to read a LOT more to effectively bring these laws as proof of anything, because in NEITHER of these cases is the government burdening either of these ladies' exercise of religion.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Bottom line if this lady does not want to serve alcohol as part of her job due to religious
reasons THEN QUIT... Easy as that..... Do not take a job that conflicts with your religious
beliefs then force your employer to allow you special privileges///...

Lady needs to find a new job.. whats more to discuss..???

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: symphonyofblase
If this woman had her hostess job BEFORE converting to Islam, then she should have quit her job because she would have realised that her job conflicted with her religion.

It's as simple as that. Her religion (ie way of life) should take priority over anything else.
I think a lawyer could successfully argue this in court.

But anyway, how is it forbidden for a Muslim to serve alcohol, but hotels in Muslim countries have bars (staffed by locals) where you can obtain an alcoholic drink? Can any Muslim on this board explain how that works to me?

Usually they are not locals unless the country is very liberal, alot of southeast Asians etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Sorry, nevermind.
edit on 8-9-2015 by DupontDeux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879did she still serve food because i am sure somewhere in those on flight meals they had some pork in them sometimes

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

it's incumbent upon employers to provide a safe environment where employees can feel they can practice their religion freely,

what a crap. A place of work is a place to work...not practice religion. For that...you should have stayed home and prayed 5 times a day.

I support any man's right to practice whatever he/she wants, religion wise...but leave it at home.

That is like telling a gay person to leave their "gay" at home. While I'm not attacking you, there are many here that fight wars to assure gay people are accepted and allowed to do whatever they want to express their "gender". But when the exact same thing comes up with religion, it is often the same people who call out "keep your religion to yourself", "ok in your home, not at work", etc.

We have become a society of hypocrites, blind to even how stupid we sound when we make such statements, argue such statements and pretend it is anything more that what we are today. We support what we like, and condemn what we don't...even when they are the same thing.

Pity the modern human for he is ignorant.

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAreAWAKE

it's incumbent upon employers to provide a safe environment where employees can feel they can practice their religion freely,

what a crap. A place of work is a place to work...not practice religion. For that...you should have stayed home and prayed 5 times a day.

I support any man's right to practice whatever he/she wants, religion wise...but leave it at home.

That is like telling a gay person to leave their "gay" at home. While I'm not attacking you, there are many here that fight wars to assure gay people are accepted and allowed to do whatever they want to express their "gender". But when the exact same thing comes up with religion, it is often the same people who call out "keep your religion to yourself", "ok in your home, not at work", etc.

Sexual orientation is not a choice. It is who that person is.

Religion is a belief you choose.

Who? In society can do whatever they want?

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

She is out of luck..

It's legal and in the job description. If it doesn't work for her...find a new job, but work is not your church.

Ditto with Clerks refusing to issue Marriage licenses to gay folks..

Just like no one would put up with a devout Muslim clerk refusing to issue drivers licenses to women..

Ad infinium...

Find a new job if your faith prevents you from doing it. It's not the rest of the worlds responsibility to abide by your faith.

edit on 8-9-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

No..Gays are not allowed to do whatever they want to "express their gender"? Like refuse to serve straight people or Christians at their place of work? Actually...What the hell do you mean by "express their gender"??...Confusing..

They are however allowed to be gay.

Now...This clerk was free to express her religion...she was not free to exercise it by breaking the law and refusing to issue people a marriage license..

If this was an devout old-world Muslim clerk and he refused to issue a drivers license to some woman...would the religious zealots be rallying to his cause?

They would in many parts of the middle-east!! And the Christian right should ponder that..what this looks like when you step back a little...religious zealotry demanding it's place in government. Honestly, give the Christian right everything they demand and we would look a lot like Iran.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

While I'm not attacking you, there are many here that fight wars to assure gay people are accepted and allowed to do whatever they want to express their "gender". But when the exact same thing comes up with religion, it is often the same people who call out "keep your religion to yourself", "ok in your home, not at work", etc.

When gay people start using their positions to force other people to act like they're gay, then we can talk.

The religious people in these cases are FORCING their morals and beliefs on other people. Example: Kim Davis does not "believe in" marriage equality, so she uses her power as a government employee to FORCE gay people not to marry. She's abusing her power in order to enforce her beliefs.

Having ANY beliefs is fine at work, as long as you don't impose on other people's lives.

posted on Sep, 9 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

Well..the way I see it...it would be more like...gay guys going at it right on the desk in a workplace. While I support gay people being gay...I don't support they practice their gayness in a workplace. So in the end it's about "practicing". Churches or Mosques and homes are a place to practice religion.

I would also not support a straight hetero couple doing it in a workplace. Sure, that stuff happens...but people mostly try to hide it...because it's inappropriate for a workplace. Same with religion.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join