It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim Flight Attendant Files Complaint Because Airline Expects Her To Serve Drinks To Passengers

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: Spider879

Where's the outrage over this? People are so angry about Kim Davis being jailed and denied religious freedom but not this.

Oh I forgot the reason. Dummy me.

outrage??...why?....she was quickly fired, and passengers are receiving their alcoholic drinks now.....whereas the county clerk kept breaking settled law for weeks, plus she was a government employee, not a private company employee like the flight attendant was.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   

This case was brought up in another thread and something sounded VERY fishy about it. My comments here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

It was only right to suspend her if she can't do the job.

Supposedly, she converted to Islam AFTER she got the job, but wasn't aware until a year later that she wasn't permitted to handle alcohol... WHAT???

Can't do the job? Let someone else do it. Find a job that doesn't contradict your religion.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Perhaps someone should have explained to her that "Flight Attendant"
really means BARTENDER!

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

In cases like this, is obvious that is an agenda thing, to push for changes to accommodate for certain set of believes on everything else and no only on base on their own.

The irony, when freedom of religion is used to force personal believes on others.

And people still doesn't get it.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   

A true Muslim would not even consider doing that job to begin with.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
You keep hearing stories about these people working at places where they have to handle meat from a pig or alcoholic beverages that is against their religion. They know it is involved in the job yet take the job anyway, refuse to do what is expected of them and then threaten to sue. Really?

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
One reasonable solution is the division of labor. If she can't handle alcohol, but wants to pursue a career as a flight attendant, then I don't think she should be fired. Someone else could reasonably handle the alcohol and I don't think it would destroy the structure of her workplace.
edit on 7-9-2015 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
One reasonable solution is the division of labor. If she can't handle alcohol, but wants to pursue a career as a flight attendant, then I don't think she should be fired. Someone else could reasonably handle the alcohol and I don't think it would destroy the structure of her workplace.

Why should another person take on added responsibilities because another person isn't doing their job? The woman knew full well what her duties entailed. She never should have taken the job in the first place.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

The woman knew full well what her duties entailed. She never should have taken the job in the first place.

But, she was not a Muslim when she took the job.

I like this part:

This year she learned her faith prohibits her from not only consuming alcohol but serving it, too, Masri said.

edition.cnn.com...

"What? I can't drink? Nobody told me that!"

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

And I still don't see anything wrong with making an exception in this case because frankly I don't see a problem. They are all working at a job where team effort is important. Division of labor is not a new concept. As humans we can adapt. This, as far as issues go, is a low hurdle with easy solutions.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

And I still don't see anything wrong with making an exception in this case because frankly I don't see a problem.

My guess is that when her suspension expires, that's probably what will happen since it is what was happening before the suspension.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I don't really understand why everybody just seems to want to cut her throat on this issue. It's really not that big a deal someone else can do the alcohol. Only a small part of the job and I wouldn't say it's the defining feature of a God dang flight attendant.

My guess is just a chance for people on ATS to condemn those beneath them.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TsukiLunar

A lot of people are pretty selective when it comes to some topics. Muslims seem to be an easy target.

I still can't help but be surprised by her sudden learning that alcohol is prohibited by her newly adopted religion. Most people sort of look into things like that before getting on the bus.

Of course, there could be more to it than the story presented by her attorney.

edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   

And I still don't see anything wrong with making an exception in this case because frankly I don't see a problem. They are all working at a job where team effort is important. Division of labor is not a new concept.

Next she will not want to serve food as it has bacon, or ham in it or is not halal, then she will not be able to talk to men....

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

One reasonable solution is the division of labor. If she can't handle alcohol, but wants to pursue a career as a flight attendant, then I don't think she should be fired.

I agree that is a reasonable solution, as long as everyone agrees. She was doing it that way for a while. A co-worker brought a lawsuit (or made a complaint or something). Maybe they didn't like having to do "her job".

I agree that if an employer and co-workers come up with a reasonable solution that doesn't burden the other employees, I don't see a problem with that. But apparently not everyone was happy with the arrangement.

I can understand there may be some resentment, if a co-worker felt like one employee was getting special treatment.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

One reasonable solution is the division of labor. If she can't handle alcohol, but wants to pursue a career as a flight attendant, then I don't think she should be fired.

I agree that is a reasonable solution, as long as everyone agrees.

I really don't agree with special accommodations in any service type job.

Simply because it probably can't always happen. People get sick, it gets really busy, short handed, etc.

If the job requires serving alcohol - - then it requires serving alcohol.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Teenagers are discriminated against too -- as they can't serve alcohol! They can wait on your table, but someone else has to deliver the drinks.

It sounds like work-arounds have been made for those under 21 in eateries. Not sure if anyone has pointed this out.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Teenagers are discriminated against too -- as they can't serve alcohol!

Teenagers are not a racial group, not a gender, not a religion, have no particular sexual orientation.

Some might say they are actually another species until the age of 25 or so but I don't hold with that notion.

edit on 9/7/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Teenagers are discriminated against too -- as they can't serve alcohol!

Teenagers are not a racial group, not a gender, not a religion, have no particular sexual orientation.

Some might say they are actually another species until the age of 25 or so but I don't hold with that notion.

Have you worked with teens? Honestly the more I work with them the more appealing "another species" sounds.

posted on Sep, 7 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I'm gonna come out and say it. The people on this site are using this as a chance to whine about immigrants. It's a pathetic argument. This is just the same as that trans persons immigrant thread. All just stupid noise at this point.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join