It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama renames Mt McKinley.....Wait, what!??!?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

I actually remember when every Big Mac was built similarly.

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onion on a sesame-seed bun.

Everybody knows that...!!!

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Your assumptions belie your prejudice....
I am not an aryan, stormfront member(whatever that is), or Christian.
My views, as everyone's, are a reflection of my sensibilities.
Specifically who I am genetically---which is a result of both genetically hard attributes and the environmental epigenetic result of my life's experiences....
Minor things like opinions on politics are simply a result of environmental variables and experiences....cause-effect...all quite mundane really

I find it telling you gleaned me to be a racist simply because I disagree with President renaming a mountain.
Calling people racist is a go-to tactic on this board and in modern America...well, the modern entirety of western civilization really...

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

I find it telling you gleaned me to be a racist simply because I disagree with President renaming a mountain.
Calling people racist is a go-to tactic on this board and in modern America...well, the modern entirety of western civilization really...

Why do you disagree, though?
Because the native peoples (being the apparently indigenous and most ancient) of the area would prefer that their mountain be called what they have traditionally called it?

How on EARTH does that offend you??
How does it hurt your life?

In ANY way?

edit on 8/31/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone

Your assumptions belie your prejudice....
I am not an aryan, stormfront member(whatever that is), or Christian.
My views, as everyone's, are a reflection of my sensibilities.
Specifically who I am genetically---which is a result of both genetically hard attributes and the environmental epigenetic result of my life's experiences....
Minor things like opinions on politics are simply a result of environmental variables and experiences....cause-effect...all quite mundane really

-Christosterone

You're reading a lot into my post. I asked you a few questions. I explained why I asked those questions, which implied that I have had some experience with these groups based on common terminology.

I didn't call you a racist or imply that you were one. In fact, you'd be more logically oriented if you accused ME of being a racist based on my stated familiarity with certain types of groups.

I was actually hopeful that you were a member of one of those groups, as I very rarely get the chance to talk to them.

I really do apologize for your feeling that I was calling you racist; I wasn't.
edit on 16Mon, 31 Aug 2015 16:48:36 -050015p042015866 by Gryphon66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

My problem with the President renaming our highest peak is on principle and procedural precedent.
As Obama himself constantly stated throughout the 2008 campaign, " WORDS MATTER".....on this point, he and I share a view.

Side note: Your Chamberlinian pacifism is not high minded nor noble....using the "how does it hurt your life" has been the dogma of isolationist pacifists since 1917....

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

My problem with the President renaming our highest peak....

It isn't yours. It's Alaska's. Would you support an Alaskan initiative to rename the Alamo "Lower 48 toilet"?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   

My problem with the President renaming our highest peak is on principle and procedural precedent.
As Obama himself constantly stated throughout the 2008 campaign, " WORDS MATTER".....on this point, he and I share a view.

Side note: Your Chamberlinian pacifism is not high minded nor noble....using the "how does it hurt your life" has been the dogma of isolationist pacifists since 1917....

-Christosterone

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Lawmakers have failed in past attempts to rename North America’s highest mountain, but a new proposal may have a better chance this year under a Republican Congress, according to an aide to an Alaska lawmaker who is resurrecting the effort.

U.S. Sens. Lisa Murkowski and Dan Sullivan have introduced a bill to give Mount McKinley its historical Alaska Native name.

The Alaska Republicans announced a Senate bill Wednesday to formally call the 20,320-foot mountain by its Athabascan name, Denali, KTUU reported

Seattle Times - February 6, 2015

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   

You didn't ask me if I was a racist!??!
I just googled the stormfront and their actual name is "stormfront white power"...
Seriously?!?

Side note: I am a born and raised Texan...in the south(sadly) misogyny and racism are inherent in much of the culture...i know well what racism is...
It is evident you don't because you assumed me to be one based upon my disagreeing with a political position of the commander-in-chief....
Spare me the "I didn't ask you if you were a racist BS"....you asked me if I was an aryan or stormfront [white power] member...

But maybe your incredibly dense and don't understand what a question is...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

So...
the mountain sprang up after McKinley was born, or maybe because he was born? Is that your thing?

The "word" for that mountain (which was already there before McKinley, by the way), and every other mountain, is and has been for many centuries: "MOUNTAIN". From the Latin.

The "name" of that mountain had been established centuries earlier than the US even existed (let alone Obama).

So - you're scared that if McKinley loses the "title" to the mountain, then that will impact your life in horrendous and inconceivably horrible ways?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Been waiting for this thread, I saw this a while back on the Daily Show.
They did a pretty good job of it I think.
thedailyshow.cc.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs
The "word" for that mountain (which was already there before McKinley, by the way), and every other mountain, is and has been for many centuries: "MOUNTAIN". From the Latin.

Exactly, it is from the Latin 'montanus' (as in Joe, which should make Intrepid happy).

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Alaska is an incorporated state of The United States of America.
It's citizenry exists as U.S. citizens above the state....the dissolution of the articles of confederation saw a unifying constitution which bound us as brothers in arms to this day...

"We" is the correct noun in referring to its populace.
After all, we are both fellow children of the greatest revolution to happen in the history of mankind.

How are you not aware of the U.S. Constitution?

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

a reply to: intrepid

Alaska is an incorporated state of The United States of America.
It's citizenry exists as U.S. citizens above the state....the dissolution of the articles of confederation saw a unifying constitution which bound us as brothers in arms to this day...

"We" is the correct noun in referring to its populace.
After all, we are both fellow children of the greatest revolution to happen in the history of mankind.

Hmm. Let's look at that. When did America acquire(perfect word) Alaska? 1959? That's a helluva revolution.

How are you not aware of the U.S. Constitution?

-Christosterone

Better question. How does a Canadian know more about your history and politics than an American citizen?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Please enlighten me as to where I ever said this decision would affect me in "horrendous and inconceivably horrendous ways"...

I will help you out since your reading comprehension is either abysmal or you continue to assume(wrongly) what my feelings are...despite my repeated effort to articulate them....
I never typed any such thing....there, I saved you a few minutes...well, maybe hours based on your seeming lack of comprehension skills.

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Wow. This reminds me of the Holnists from "The Postman."

You get to just rename everything and everyone???

Trying to change the name of a long-known geographical feature that already had a name seems (to me) well - unjustifiable.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:11 PM
link   

edit on 8/31/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: nm

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'm going to keep calling it Mount McKinley. Screw the native alaskans and Obama.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I DO dig this. I spent the 70's on Vancouver Island. The view? The Coastal Mountains:

You haven't seen a lightning storm until you saw one of those. Same mountains in Alaska.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   

No, I didn't obliquely ask you if you were a racist. I know how to do that. Also, if I thought you were a racist, I have no problem saying that to you.

I'll explain again. Some of the phrases you used, terms, ways of talking about things, etc. put me in mind of some of the "philosophy" behind these groups. If you go back and read what I asked you (ASKED) you'll see that's the direction of my question. I'm interested, for example, in how we continue to use Norse/Nordic mythology in our culture. Many of those groups incorporate that thought.

We're all racist to some degree; the measure of our ability to live in a civilized society is measured by how well we overcome that urge with logic and reason. I grew up in Atlanta and rural Georgia. Don't feel rained on in terms of the culture you grew up in.

Spare me your attempts to read my mind as well as your ham-handed attempts to be insulting.

If you're not aware of what I'm talking about, feel free to move on.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

LOL!!!

Well, isn't that magnanimous and so patient of you!! ??

I'm just gathering from your tone what your tone is actually implying.

You do know sarcasm does not carry over text right?

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join