It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama renames Mt McKinley.....Wait, what!??!?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Christosterone

At least he didn't name it Mohamed.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
when it was renamed to McKinley initially was it some intricate nationalist agenda ? or was it just renamed to reflect something, like its being renamed to revert back to what it was...

cant please everyone i guess.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Christosterone
a reply to: jtma508
Do you think the Nepalese and Tibetans wanted to name their mountain Everest?
People that land on the moon trump those who club seals....pun intended
-Christosterone

Why are you comparing the politics of another country with the politics in our country like they are two comparable things? Nepal has its own government with its own policies that aren't dependent on American policies. So what they do can't be compared to similar events here.
edit on 31-8-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: jtma508
Did you read WHY the name change? Did you look into who wants and who DOESN'T want the name change? Obama isn't renaming jack. He's simply doing the administrative stuff.

Of course not. It's just easier to blame Obama and be outraged than to actually do independent research and get to the REAL bottom of what's going on.

Barack Obama is the president of the Unites States...if he calls it "Denali" then it becomes "Denali."
That is the power of the office....
But like was said in another post "At least he didn't name it [Mount] Mohamed."

Although that makes Mohamed sound gay and then the Muslims would have to stone the mountain...
And how would one even go about stoning a mountain...???
It would be like water boarding water....
Anyhow, if it means killing a gay mountain then I bet they could figure it out...

-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

He isn't calling it Denali though. The natives are getting Obama to revert the name to its original name. Which has already been pointed out to you. Renaming the mountain to anything other than Denali would be a completely different situation.

link   

-Christosterone

Why are you comparing the politics of another country with the politics in our country like they are two comparable things? Nepal has its own government with its own policies that aren't dependent on American policies. So what they do can't be compared to similar events here.

I made no mention of Nepalese politics.
My point is only from an western perspective....we call it Everest, not 'oompaloompa'(I think that's how they say it)....
Now we call McKinley 'Denali'.....
-Christosterone

link   

But like was said in another post "At least he didn't name it [Mount] Mohamed."

An innovative way of bringing Mohammed to the Mountain.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Oompaloompa? You know you could at least TRY not to be insensitive to these things... The name is Chomolungma which could have been easily surmised with a simple Google search (which is how I found it). And you DID bring up Nepalese politics by talking about how the mountain is called Everest. Well, that's because Nepal hasn't deemed to change the name yet internationally.

We aren't Nepal. We are the US. We do our own things. Just because Nepal isn't doing something is no reason not to do something.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
He's also doing this because he's coming to Alaska for a conference. He'll be in Alaska for a few days, tomorrow he's going to be filming some kind of survival spot with Bear Grylls -- not even joking:

While on his three-day trip to Alaska -- aimed at promoting climate change action -- President Barack Obama will tape an episode of "Running Wild with Bear Grylls," NBC and the White House announced Monday.

The President will "trek through the wilderness" with survival expert Grylls, in the special edition of the show, set to air later this year according to a press release.

CNN

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

I have always known it as Denali.

But Im British ....

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   

-Christosterone

I made no mention of Nepalese politics.
My point is only from an western perspective....we call it Everest, not 'oompaloompa'(I think that's how they say it)....
Now we call McKinley 'Denali'.....
-Christosterone

Chomolungma is the Tibetan name

The Nepalese name is Sagarmartha

The names are interchangeable, though most mountaineers use the former. As they do (or did, I am a bit out of touch with modern climbing) Denali for the highest hill in North America

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MystikMushroom
The two names have been used interchangeably -- but as I said no one I know from here (besides maybe the Alaska natives) called it Denali. It's pretty much just a name on a map that's being changed. It doesn't really matter to us up here, as we'll call it whichever one we want -- people will still know what we're talking about.

What did McKinley ever have to do with Alaska to get an Alaskan mountain named after him?

Was it just picked at random?

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

First off, we all have Wikipedia....so congrats on that.
I'm sure that later this year the movie "Everest" will be released in Britain as "Chomolungma" so y'all know what it's referring to....
-Christosterone

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

A prospector and McKinley supporter named it and eventually Wilson made it official years later.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

A prospector and McKinley supporter named it and eventually Wilson made it official years later.

OK. so McKinley didn't really do anything to have this mountain named after him.

More of an arrogant, because I can, mountain "stealing" and re-naming.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Hmmm, no wikipedia 25 years ago
Nothing has changed.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   

OK. so McKinley didn't really do anything to have this mountain named after him

Other than having Woodrow Wilson make it official, no.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Just to be picky, I've never heard it called Mt. Denali. Just Denali.

Having watched the sunrise cast its first beams onto its slopes still covered in snow, while drinking hot chocolate, can't stand coffee, and listening to the world wake up, I've come to the conclusion that De'nali is a much more fitting name.

Denali translated from the Athabascan language is: Great One. ...and it is indeed great.

posted on Aug, 31 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull
Denali translated from the Athabascan language is: Great One. ...and it is indeed great.

I agree. If McKinley were so great he would have dodged that bullet or caught it in his teeth.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join