It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump shuts down sniveling reporter whining about the term "anchor baby"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: kellyjay
a reply to: infolurker

Its kinda like when the P.C crowd got offended over the word thug being used on the media when a story was being reported that involved some kind of criminal activity and a black person

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
a violent person, especially a criminal.
"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"
synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; informaltough, bruiser, hired gun; informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie; informalned; informalhood, goon; informalroughie, hoon; datedcut-throat, desperado; raremyrmidon

apparently its now the new N word....smh lol

It is because conservatives used it to describe the facebook pictures of teenagers, black teenagers. They later used it pretty much for any black person, even a 12 yr old with a toy gun.

there is nothing offensive about the definition, if your going to do thuggish behaviour then dont cry foul if you are called exactly what you are percieving yourself to be

but typical left...everything is racist lol

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
a reply to: reldra

Wth?? Now spade is offensive?

noun
a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

That comes from the dictionary everyone is championing in this very thread. So what is offensive about it? Calling something what it is, is calling a spade a spade. It's also calling a fork a fork. A hoe a hoe, and so on.

Maybe we need to rewrite the entire dictionary based on feelings...

You said calling a spade a spade. That has another meaning. Not the one you gave.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

No, Trump is getting attention and support for the same reason Gingrich got all these applause:

People in this country HATE the mainstream press. They HATE the beltway politicos.

And they will applaud ANYONE who gives them crap.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

So if someone else chooses to use a word incorrectly the rest of us have to be scared to use it correctly?? That doesn't make any sense to me. Eventually we are going to run out of words.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Its kinda like when the P.C crowd got offended over the word thug being used on the media when a story was being reported that involved some kind of criminal activity and a black person

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; informaltough, bruiser, hired gun; informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie; informalned; informalhood, goon; informalroughie, hoon; datedcut-throat, desperado; raremyrmidon

It is because conservatives used it to describe the facebook pictures of teenagers, black teenagers. They later used it pretty much for any black person, even a 12 yr old with a toy gun.

there is nothing offensive about the definition, if your going to do thuggish behaviour then dont cry foul if you are called exactly what you are percieving yourself to be

No, not true.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Spade has been a racial slur for at least my entire life. The 1960's musical "Hair" includes a song that documents the fact.

People have some common sense. If you are playing cards or gardening and use the word "spade" in context, of course nobody is going to be offended. However if you walk up to a black male and call him a spade... Well the ass kicking you will likely get is well deserved.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Wth?? Now spade is offensive?

noun
a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

That comes from the dictionary everyone is championing in this very thread. So what is offensive about it? Calling something what it is, is calling a spade a spade. It's also calling a fork a fork. A hoe a hoe, and so on.

Maybe we need to rewrite the entire dictionary based on feelings...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

And notice how you immediately jumped on it even though even you admitted, just then, that the person in question wasn't using it that way?

It's the context that makes it offensive. Not the phrase in and of itself.

So you are very much playing PC police here, and people are tired of it. No one was using that phrase in racial context and that was agreed on by all. So why try to snuff it out? Simply because someone, somewhere decided they didn't like it? That is PC Policing and anti-free speech and a problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

One wonders why such a fuss is made.

The easy resolution would be to deny women entry into America if they are pregnant.

Right, Donald?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

So if someone else chooses to use a word incorrectly the rest of us have to be scared to use it correctly?? That doesn't make any sense to me. Eventually we are going to run out of words.

No, what I am saying is that if you don't know the history of certain words and the other ways it has been used, you can expect some people to be offended.

Just like the previous example given earlier. If you are talking to a black person, it may not be wise to say "calling a spade a spade". There is a derogatory history behind the term, as well as it's less-controversial meaning.

Trump is talking about a race-related issue and used a term they find highly offensive.

I'm just pointing it out.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Ok. Can I call a hoe a hoe? Calling a spade a spade is a saying that has been around long before I was born. If others choose to use the term incorrectly that is not my fault. Calling a spade a spade is a saying that came about specifically because people were not calling things what they were...

I have never used it to replace the n-word and I'm not going to start acting like that's what the phrase means. If that's the way others take it, it certainly is not my problem.

Calling a spade a spade is calling it what it is... Not the n-word. If we keep going we are going to have to start using sign language because every word we use is going to become offensive to someone.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

So has spook. But spook also can refer to a spy or to a ghost depending on its context.

Context is very important.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Ok. Can I call a hoe a hoe? Calling a spade a spade is a saying that has been around long before I was born. If others choose to use the term incorrectly that is not my fault. Calling a spade a spade is a saying that came about specifically because people were not calling things what they were...

I have never used it to replace the n-word and I'm not going to start acting like that's what the phrase means. If that's the way others take it, it certainly is not my problem.

Calling a spade a spade is calling it what it is... Not the n-word. If we keep going we are going to have to start using sign language because every word we use is going to become offensive to someone.

No you can't call a hoe a hoe.

Prostitutes probably get offended too.
edit on 20-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
You call a Spade, a Spade.. Because it's not a shovel...

People honestly don't get this ?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Anchor baby shouldn't be race related either. There are countless races that come over here to give birth. All colors, creeds, etc. why does everything have to be about race. It's not just Mexicans, it's not just Chinese, It's not just anybody.... It's everybody. Race is being injected into it wrongly IMO.

edit on 8/20/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun

No, not true.

because you said so? well you must be right then.....

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
So, we're not talking about Trump's antics any longer?

OK

I'll wait until everyone decides to explore every bigoted word out there. Don't forget to include 'bastard'.

*munches popcorn*

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: masqua

Actually, it would be to have congress pass something that inhibits birthright citizenship to alien parents. Have someone push that case to the SCOTUS and give them a chance to overturn the Warren Court decision that started this mess in the first place.

I think we're the only country in the world that makes it so easy for alien parents to give their child US citizenship.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I like the part where you deliberately ignore what everyone else is saying and continue on As if the argument they are making is in the abstract and up to interpretation.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Reply to, reldra

That is correct, and a certain dictionary group had to rewrite that section to include 'offensive'
Apart from that, a child born in the US is a citizen, but needs to be an adult to sponsor his parent/s. In the US I think that is the age of 21.
That makes, so far, Trump and Bush pretty much rabble rousers.
edit on 20-8-2015 by smurfy because: Text

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join