It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump shuts down sniveling reporter whining about the term "anchor baby"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Anchor babies are what they are. The only reason anyone is offended by that term is because it shows people are aware of what is going on concerning "anchor babies". It is fact that people do come here when they are ready to give birth for that very reason. A fact. So why is it offensive?

I don't think it is any more offensive than baby boomer, Generation X, etc. God help us all if the baby boomers start getting offended by that term. That's a lot of offendedness to happen all at once. It might actually tear a hole in the space time continuum.

Changing the term doesn't change the fact. I think lots of folks hope that is what will happen though. That's why they are so rabid that other folks say it "the correct way". Trump isn't buying into the PC speak.

A spade is a spade... Oops?!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Its kinda like when the P.C crowd got offended over the word thug being used on the media when a story was being reported that involved some kind of criminal activity and a black person

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
a violent person, especially a criminal.
"he was attacked by a gang of thugs"
synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; informaltough, bruiser, hired gun; informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie; informalned; informalhood, goon; informalroughie, hoon; datedcut-throat, desperado; raremyrmidon

apparently its now the new N word....smh lol

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
Anchor babies are what they are. The only reason anyone is offended by that term is because it shows people are aware of what is going on concerning "anchor babies". It is fact that people do come here when they are ready to give birth for that very reason. A fact. So why is it offensive?

I don't think it is any more offensive than baby boomer, Generation X, etc. God help us all if the baby boomers start getting offended by that term. That's a lot of offendedness to happen all at once. It might actually tear a hole in the space time continuum.

Changing the term doesn't change the fact. I think lots of folks hope that is what will happen though. That's why they are so rabid that other folks say it "the correct way". Trump isn't buying into the PC speak.

A spade is a spade... Oops?!

It is termed as offensive in the dictionary. There are people who have come to the US just to give birth, but how many? Is it a large number? A small number? Conservatives use that term in a derogatory way on purpose. A Fact.

Oops? I am surprised at that spade comment. Glad you aren't moderating this thread.
edit on 20-8-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   

A reporter goes for the PC , says the term "anchor baby" offensive

i prefer the term "Karate Kid"

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:11 PM
link   
At least Bernie sanders puts his baldness out on display, something to be respected about that, rather than those who are so embarrassed by their slap head they go to the vanity of picking out an awful wig and pretend it's their real hair.I'm not a fan of vanity or men who can't accept the ageing process

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Which dictionary ? Which page, and under which definition entry ?

I have several on my desk, as in there is more than one dictionary in existence, which "The Dictionary " ?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Trump exposes the grimy underbelly of the far right. Most partisan spokespersons are unwilling to shout out their true feelings, but Trump never hesitates.

Thanks, Donald, for showing everyone where the Grand Old Party really stands, but doesn't want to say.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: kellyjay

Its kinda like when the P.C crowd got offended over the word thug being used on the media when a story was being reported that involved some kind of criminal activity and a black person

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun
synonyms: ruffian, hoodlum, bully boy, bully, bandit, mugger, gangster, terrorist, gunman, murderer, killer, hitman, assassin, hooligan, vandal, Yardie; informaltough, bruiser, hired gun; informalrough, bovver boy, lager lout, chav, hoodie; informalned; informalhood, goon; informalroughie, hoon; datedcut-throat, desperado; raremyrmidon

It is because conservatives used it to describe the facebook pictures of teenagers, black teenagers. They later used it pretty much for any black person, even a 12 yr old with a toy gun.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: CrawlingChaos

Which dictionary ? Which page, and under which definition entry ?

I have several on my desk, as in there is more than one dictionary in existence, which "The Dictionary " ?

It is quoted in a previous post by someone else, a NY Times article. You should find the post, it is noted there.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

So what that the term is deemed offensive in the dictionary? The dictionary just changed its definition of marriage too, but what it says a marriage is isn't the same thing a lot of people consider a marriage to be.

Not only that, but there are several different dictionaries and they all vary slightly right up to the multi-volume Oxford Dictionary.

MY dictionary doesn't even have the term in it, but then, it doesn't have a lot of slang unlike Webster which seems to add it at the drop of a hat.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Wth?? Now spade is offensive?

noun
a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

That comes from the dictionary everyone is championing in this very thread. So what is offensive about it? Calling something what it is, is calling a spade a spade. It's also calling a fork a fork. A hoe a hoe, and so on.

Maybe we need to rewrite the entire dictionary based on feelings...

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Trump has a lot of people shaking and trembling.

Yep, shaking their head in disbelief, and likely trembling with anger.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: kellyjay

dictionary definition

thug
θʌɡ/
noun

It is because conservatives used it to describe the facebook pictures of teenagers, black teenagers. They later used it pretty much for any black person, even a 12 yr old with a toy gun.

Oh well, that explains a lot. Anything a conservative says will obviously be assumed to be offensive because everything we say is naturally a dog whistle of some kind of other.

I could talk about the rain in Spain staying mainly in the plain and it would be deemed offensive because it is somehow an anti-Hispanic dog whistle.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: masqua
Trump exposes the grimy underbelly of the far right. Most partisan spokespersons are unwilling to shout out their true feelings, but Trump never hesitates.

Thanks, Donald, for showing everyone where the Grand Old Party really stands, but doesn't want to say.

Indeed.

What really bothers me about this is the reactions from people on this thread. They are not praising Trump for his ideas or his policies. They are praising him for his rhetoric and propaganda.

They do not realize that he is using these sorts of terms and speech purposely because it resonates with certain groups of people. He's taking advantage of the language that appeals to the group-think.

Very sad and very dangerous.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

I'll love how the reporter is worried about offending illegal immigrants who shouldn't even be here in the first place. Trump used the correct terminology.

The term is about children born in the US. The children are natural born citizens. That is why their parents can stay, unless you want the child put in an orphanage and send the parents back?

I occasionally see some true crap posted here... but this takes the cake.

Question...
When a Mexican couple uses a 500 peso tourist visa to come to the US to have a baby for free (Yes the hospitals have to accept them in ERs and they don't pay) and they have said baby.... Why in the hell can all three mexican citizens NOT go back to mexico (The couple + their baby) to live legally?

You say that the baby who is a mexican citizen must be put in an orphanage. Truly remarkable... crap.

edit on 20-8-2015 by YeahYea4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
So the ONLINE VERSION, of the American Heritage added a new slang...

This is why I keep my Collegiate hardbounds.. Cause they're "real" dictionaries.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Time to ban all playing cards?

Shovels may no longer be called "spades"........

roflmao

I am beyond getting mad anymore! I am just cackling like a mad man about all this PC nonsense!

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   

The term is about children born in the US. The children are natural born citizens. That is why their parents can stay, unless you want the child put in an orphanage and send the parents back?

Which is precisely why we are having a discussion on if we should impart U.S. Citizenship for everyone who drops out of a womb on U.S. Soil, regardless of the citizenship of their parents.

If we are to extend your logic, shouldn't partial birth abortions be U.S. Citizens? Hmmmmmm?
edit on 20-8-2015 by pavil because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2015 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

Wth?? Now spade is offensive?

noun
a tool with a sharp-edged, typically rectangular, metal blade and a long handle, used for digging or cutting earth, sand, turf, etc.

That comes from the dictionary everyone is championing in this very thread. So what is offensive about it? Calling something what it is, is calling a spade a spade. It's also calling a fork a fork. A hoe a hoe, and so on.

Maybe we need to rewrite the entire dictionary based on feelings...

There are also a few different definitions for the n-word, beyond applying to the black race. Does that mean it is ok to say it publicly because of the other ways the word can be defined?

We should at least be consistent, shouldn't we?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:21 PM
link   

i want to respond fresh of the OP so bare with me here....

i hate to say it but i like trump, im a NY'er so maybe that has something to do with it but GD i like him. id vote for him.

*looks at self in mirror and shakes head*

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join