It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear "Religious" Anti-Gay Parents - What if your child turns out to be LBGT+?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

"Treat every person you come across as you would want your own family member to be treated."

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets

You and Jesus got somethin' in common.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

"Treat every person you come across as you would want your own family member to be treated."

So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets

It's a fricken shame that many Christians today don't have anything in common with Jesus.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Very true.

I don't understand why people bother with Jesus if they have all those horrible judgmental views. Jesus, according to the gospel accounts, was nothing like He is represented as.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

It's a fricken shame that many Christians today don't have anything in common with Jesus.

Religion gets in the way of faith.

I've had issues with my church, but still attend, we still man the soup-kitchens thurday and friday, we still do things that are right.

In spite of religion.

Too many see it, use it as a hammer.

And it's a shame, because it blinds so many to faith.

People should have faith.

I wish more did.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Totally. Once man made tenet comes into play faith has to take a hit. I've said it here, "Faith is a beautiful thing, religion is dangerous." Good for you for hanging in there. "Works" as Christ said.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

I was just looking at your previous threads as I have noticed a pattern in your thread activities. You seem to be very interested in Christians in a challenging way. If you look at your threads there is quite a number of them.

Do you know what Muslims would think about it? You should ask them, too. May be ask the Jews and all the others.

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to actually read her OP before you went looking for something with which to derail the specific nature of her thread and attempt to crucify her for. It seems that you missed the part where she said:

Specifically this: If you are a Conservative Bible-Believing Christian - or a Muslim who supports killing 'gays' - or anyone else who DUE TO RELIGIOUS CONVICTIONS abhors the "gays" - what will you do if your child announces to you that they are a boy trapped in a girl's body, or that they are simply gay? What if your straight male child falls in love with a wonderful, beautiful girl who turns out to be transgendered? Or tells you their best friend is gay?

This is how fights get started, people so ready to jump on a soapbox that they forget to make sure there's even a reason to. Assumption is rarely ever a smart choice.

To the OP: This is a very good question. And a valid one, actually. It is really good to see comments from those who understand the basic concept of any organized religion is supposed to reflect love and tolerance, because there are a whole lot of people out there who do not follow the very teachings that they profess to be loyal to. Someone said it perfectly: they are forgetting to separate the sin from the sinner, making the rules up as they go along, and doing it in the name of a deity who, according to their own religious texts, taught them better than that.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

Totally. Once man made tenet comes into play faith has to take a hit. I've said it here, "Faith is a beautiful thing, religion is dangerous." Good for you for hanging in there. "Works" as Christ said.

I wanted to teach my son humility.

And what is more humble than a man crying because you gave him sandwiches?

It helped put things in perspective for a very smart, awesome, wonderful child. (yeah, I'm biased)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

It is also a way to start fights to start a thread that baits a specific group of people too.

There many more people of faith whose doctrines preach homosexuality as sin, but in the OP's world, only conservative Christians need to be called on it.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

Nope. The OP has changed the title since I wrote that.

Now the title reflects all religions and so all religion is game for possible criticism. You have just come along late in the game and did not see how the title has been changed to turn it from a specifically Christian argument (that was reflected in the original title) to a title that includes all religions. The OP moved the goal posts by editing during the thread, which they admitted to.

I would ask anyone to consider that the most media prominent anti LGBT+ incidents have been committed by extremist Islam (IS) and Judaism (recent multiple stabbings at Israeli event). Yet the OP wanted to focus this particularly on Conservative Christians until challenged to a point where they were forced to concede and edit the thread.

edit on 19-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

I have read it. More than once. And I see a lot of questions about "what would you do?"

Then I see the "you Christians" (such a lovely, judgmental sounding epithet, isn't it?) comment.

And then I see multiple edits and way more than was in there the first go around. If you stuck the feelings question in there, I've missed it every time. Oh well.

Sad thing? I'm not even religious. But it boggles my mind to see somebody sitting in self-righteous judgement of other people....because they somehow have come to feel so superior that they can judge others for judging.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Our family hasn't found a church we like yet although we may end up at the same one my husband's best friend attends. But we chose a private school based on curriculum organization. It happens to be Christian because the classical curriculum isn't found in secular private schools in this area yet. That doesn't bother us because all the kids do service projects and mission trips as they get older. Those will be good for him, and we all have service days as a family both as a school and as a family with the school.

I also like that his pre-K teacher will give him hugs. Our kiddo is a very hug-oriented kid. It would break my heart to see him go to public school where the teachers have to maintain their distance. But little boys in general tend to be more tactile at a young age.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
It's funny
This question is aimed at me yet isn't directed at me
I am a Christian but I don't hate gays, I have met some very unsavory gays who I don't like. I have met similar Christians in the church who I don't like.

It seems your question is projecting your assumption on people, effectively making out all Christians to be the same in every way

Do I believe that sinners are going to hell, well it's obvious. If my child chooses to be outside of God then there is according to the bible an outcome for that choice.

I think the question is do you think that makes me happy or sad.
The way I read your post indicates you think it makes me happy

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I'm not even remotely Christian but even I'll say amen to that!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It was a good question. It's a shame that it was twisted to make it seem like an insult to religion and in particular Christianity.

imo...it seems that when some members are faced with their personal truth, hypocrisy and sanctimoniousness they tend to get defensive. Then play the victim card as a passive aggressive defense mechanism.

edit on 19-8-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

It was a good question. It's a shame that it was twisted to make it seem like an insult to religion.

imo...it seems that when some members are faced with their personal truth, hypocrisy and sanctimoniousness they tend to get defensive. Then play the victim card as a passive aggressive defense mechanism.

Where was it twisted? You are accusing members of twisting the thread. Where did they do that?

Perhaps the questions was twisted to begin with when it picked specifically on Christianity?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

What gripes me is that the OP picked on Christianity and then had the audacity to say this,

Which is totally the same attitude that Christ had when He said do to others as you want them to do to you. So the OP is criticising the Faith that brought along an attitude they are espousing as one of their fundamental attitudes.

This kind of thinking is not very logical is it? Yes, there are some fools out there who say they follow Jesus and do just the opposite of that. There are Christians in Africa who would stone a woman for witchcraft/ adultery when Jesus said the exact opposite.

The OP is trying to suggest that all Christians and possibly all religions will be horrible to their children if they are gay or transgender. It is not the case. It is a useless, blanket statement. People are always doing it. They do it with Jews saying they are all greedy money hoarders, with Islam like they are all terrorists and with Christians like they are all LGBT+ haters.

The OP has made many threads targeting Christianity particularly. There is a pattern emerging. That needs to be addressed.

edit on 19-8-2015 by Revolution9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

It was a good question. It's a shame that it was twisted to make it seem like an insult to religion and in particular Christianity.

If it was put forth in the same manner towards those who are gay would it not be in your words "poking the bear"?

How about if it was directed towards Democrats?

Again, "poking the bear"?

It's amazing how so many people are politically glued to the upcoming election, yet can't see how the politicians have divided us to the point that come hell or high water this country is going to burn!

I wonder how many people will worship a political god when they finally realize they have been forsaken?

But WTF! Picking a team and sticking with it is much more fun than compromise and freedom? /sarcasm

I am so tired of the nonsense I am ashamed to admit I am looking forward to the screams of torment and tears all because we believed in "Corrupt Men/Women" to save us more than we did our faith in whatever the hell we might believe in other than "man"!

We all know their corrupt right? So how is picking on those with any particular faith/religion make those who are dumb enough to believe in a corrupt government any smarter?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Very revealing.

Good catch.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Dont know if it was said, but an easy answer id say.... then that couple failed as parents and didnt keep their child educated enough to keep a normal str8 life, religious or not.... As one once said: God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.... its just not natural! nuff said....

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 07:24 PM
link   

They will just pretend the kid doesn't exist or they will try to do an intervention and beat the gay out of them, then they will spend the next 20 years of their life wondering how they went wrong.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join