It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear "Religious" Anti-Gay Parents - What if your child turns out to be LBGT+?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I wasn't "sucker punching" anyone!!!

For crying out loud!
The question was VERY sincere!

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

How do you know it matters to the kids? Are you inside their head? Omniscient? Empowered to speak on behalf of gays with religious parents everywhere?

The two folks I referenced? They don't give a damn. They left their parents' religion for a reason. To them, it's their parents "thing" that they look past and continue to enjoy their love and support.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

How do you know it matters to the kids? Are you inside their head? Omniscient? Empowered to speak on behalf of gays with religious parents everywhere?

I worked with families for years, and had clients who were tortured mentally by their parents' attitudes towards them.
That's how I know - I have already provided one anecdote from my professional life.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

I worked with families for years, and had clients who were tortured mentally by their parents' attitudes towards them.
That's how I know - I have already provided one anecdote from my professional life.

And I've provided one from my personal life. But because it's your crusade, yours counts more?

Got it.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:29 PM
link   

They know I don't believe in their version of a higher power. My parents do have faith but they are quite casual about it. I am not even baptised or christened due to the fact my parents took it as a choice you should make as an adult and don't believe in infant baptism as you as an infant have no choice.

I think there main thing is the worry about my life choices I don't know whether that worry has stretched to the lengths of my eternal soul or the after life.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   

So, you know two gays (one male and one female) whose parents accept them. That's GREAT!!!

I'm concerned about the children whose parents might abandon or condemn them. The adults whose parents DID abandon and/or DO condemn them.
If you don't appreciate that I don't know what else to tell you.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

Thank you! I'm really glad to hear everyone's responses, despite what my haters are trying to twist my words to mean.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

I wasn't "sucker punching" anyone!!!

For crying out loud!
The question was VERY sincere!

Yeah.

What would be your solution to religious parents having issues over their childs sexuality?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

What would be your solution to religious parents having issues over their childs sexuality?

Education.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Education.

Forced or voluntary?

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

No, the issue is in your OP you wanted to know if a parent would disown their child.

Then you changed it to what would you do AND how would you feel.

So I asked why their feelings would matter if their actions aren't repugnant, which you don't seem to have an answer for so you need to get casually dismissive about it.

Sorry, I really don't think you have any more right to sit in judgement of a person than I think a religious person has any right to sit in judgement of their children. Perhaps you should take a page out of the parents' of my two friends book and learn to live with it and love people anyway.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:41 PM
link   

This is a running theme. Christians are just "too stupid" to know any better and need to be "educated."

It was the same answer to the televangelist thread last night. Us poor dumb ole Christians ought to be locked up or we might hurt usselves.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It was the same answer to the televangelist thread last night. Us poor dumb ole Christians ought to be locked up or we might hurt usselves.

I NEVER SAID THAT, and I DON'T BELIEVE THAT!

edit on 8/19/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   

No, the issue is in your OP you wanted to know if a parent would disown their child.

Then you changed it to what would you do AND how would you feel.

No.
Read it again.

The OP was precisely that: How would you feel and how would you respond.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Okay, you know what, folks?

Do whatever. Think about it, or don't. I give up.

Thanks for participating. Excuse me for caring. It's part of my temperament.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
My son told me he was gay over 10 years ago. My only beef was that I knew the type of bigotry that was coming his way. Then again, I'm agnostic so maybe this isn't quite for me.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Thank you.
I appreciate the response. It is scary to imagine how your kid will be treated. That's my whole point.

When I was in grad school and practicing, one of the main tenets was enforcing treating others how you'd want to be treated. "Treat every person you come across as you would want your own family member to be treated."

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 04:58 PM
link   

I think it could be one of those questions, that until you are confronted (bit of an aggressive word, but can't think of any other) you can't really answer it.

I think, in my experience, to try and be a Christian, before rejecting it all together, bar some good principles, it can be hard to live in a modern world when trying to live by any set of guidelines.

But you can be LGBT and a Christian. Do you then square this off in the bible by the belief that only through Christ you can get into Heaven, and Jesus taught tolerance, forgiveness and to love thy neighbour?

You have to remember there are 2 distinct sections to the bible and didn't Jesus come down and pretty much obliterate the old Testemant by being himself and creating the new testement, cos the old Testement God wasn't really "working"? Anyway I am straying into merky memory territory so I will desist. I am sure someone will correct me, but nicely if you please.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

*Hug*

Don't get disheartened. It was a good question.

I may go and ask my parents.

It's made me think.

posted on Aug, 19 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Nope...you just don't subscribe to religion in general...kids are just a bonus for your crusade against religion...judging by your posts on religion you are reaching for anything to either prove a point or to simply get a lot of attention..

edit on 19-8-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2015 by chrismarco because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join