It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dear "Religious" Anti-Gay Parents - What if your child turns out to be LBGT+?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9maybe it's because Christians make up the biggest contingent of religious folks on ats, I thought that would be obvious Also ats is used in the main by western users,where Christianity is The dominant religion.

edit on 20-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
a reply to: Revolution9maybe it's because Christians make up the biggest contingent of religious folks on ats, I thought that would be obvious Also ats is used in the main by western users,where Christianity is The dominant religion.

So exactly how many is that?

Since you have the facts please tell me how many Muslims, Hindu's, Wicca's, Satanist and Buddhist live in the west?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Firstly I am not anti-gay, I am anti homosexual sex. If my children feel they are attracted to the same sex I will get them the help they need and support them through it. It is a lie to say that they are born that way, and there is help out there for them that has nothing to do with the homonazi caricature of beating or exorcising the gayness out of them. I personally know several people who were practicing homosexual sex and turned to Jesus and are now healed and truly free and happy. You don't have to flame me now because you don't like my answer, but I doubt you will be able to restrain yourself.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Okay, now I am going to once again explain to readers what my OWN THINKING is. Again.

First of all - I only changed the title due to pressure from the haters.
Second - I said at the beginning: NOT ALL CHRISTIANS are evangelical homophobes.

Next: SOME think anything other than heterosexual orientation is a "choice". This is not true, and it's something that needs to be addressed. That is why I addressed the question to Conservative Christians to begin with.

Further: I have particular interest in social issues, and my activity here has always been to expose ignorance and lies, and to attempt to get people to think about how they are affecting society.

More: Children and Parenting are the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of our society. Yes, it matters to me that parents - ALL parents - be up to date on best practices to raise healthy adults. This means educating prospective parents about the best ways to raise a healthy, happy, productive child. NOT ALL PEOPLE are fit to be parents. That is a fact.

F: I do not make these threads to insult people. I make them to get people to reconsider their approach to their lives.

7: EVERY HUMAN ALIVE was at some point cared for by adults. The way we are raised has a tremendous impact on how we behave. This is fact. Family Systems are generational. The culture and society into which we are born determines the 'background' of the nuclear family or care system.

And: YES, I worry that Evangelical Christians are trying to get into positions of leadership with the SPECIFIC INTENT of making this a theocracy. The Constitution notwithstanding, if enough of them get into local or state or federal government, they CAN AND WILL make everyone who is not a Bible-Waving Holy Roller MISERABLE. They scare the crap out of me.

I do not come here just to poke a hornet's nest. It's no "secret" that the pattern of my threads and posts is generally aimed at exposing the lies, hypocrisy, and ignorance of certain aspects of modern American Christian FUNDAMENTALIST Religion. I could just as well make a thread challenging the idea of circumcision, which is an archaic, stupid, barbaric, and unnecessary practice. But it's not as much of an issue as telling a kid that some "God" is watching every move they make and prepared to toss them in HELL.

Religion that oppresses and judges individuals creates people who are unable to live their lives without constant worry that they are not good enough.

RELIGION IS FOR ADULTS. Not children. It should be "rated R" - in my opinion.

@Rev9: you have repeatedly tried to present a synopsis of the thread's development that is FALSE, to derail the thread, to smear me and project a "premise" onto me that is not yours to describe. I CHOSE to change the title so people would focus on the topic. I wasn't being sneaky, and I didn't "move the goalposts". So, shut up or stick to the topic.

@beezzer, EDUCATION about PARENTING should absolutely be forced, if you want to put it that way. Just like all American children have to go to school to learn basic skills like reading, writing, etc.....there should be REQUIRED classes in Sexuality, Child Development, Sex Ed, Parenting AND in World Religions.

edit on 8/20/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: SPELLING ERROR

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

@beezzer, EDUCATION about PARENTING should absolutely be forced, if you want to put it that way. Just like all American children have to go to school to learn basic skills like reading, writing, etc.....there should be REQUIRED classes in Sexuality, Child Development, Sex Ed, Parenting AND in World Religions.

Who would do the educating?

Imagine (just based on my posting history) that I was in charge of "re-education centers."

Your solution is idealistic and would perpetuate problems. Not eliminate them.

The only thing you would get rid of, is privacy, individual freedom, and parenting rights.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

And what happens if turning to Jesus doesn't change their sexual orientation? I know a few people who tried that route, and it didn't work. Oh, they stopped having homosexual sex for a long while, but they were miserable and lonely. They only became happy and emotionally healthy again when they went back to who they really were.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Incorrect. Parenting is the most important "occupation" a person takes on.
For parents and prospective parents to be educated in how to raise a healthy, well-adjusted child is common sense.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Who would do the educating? Educating parents on how to parent, or the kids?

Never mind, the answer is the same: only the approved people would be allowed to teach. And of course, teaching the evils of religion would be part of that.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Who would do the educating? Educating parents on how to parent, or the kids?

Never mind, the answer is the same: only the approved people would be allowed to teach. And of course, teaching the evils of religion would be part of that.

Imagine if Ted Cruz or Huckabee becomes president and he gets to pick a Department Secretary of Parental Education.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BuzzyWigs

Incorrect. Parenting is the most important "occupation" a person takes on.
For parents and prospective parents to be educated in how to raise a healthy, well-adjusted child is common sense.

I don't see it as an occupation.

I see it as a responsibility. But man has been rearing offspring since forever.

You see it as common sense.

I just see more intrusion into people's privacy. A draconian measure to instill only acceptable thought.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

People need a license to drive on our roads, because it affects all of us.
Children must receive an education, because it affects all of us AND our nation's success to have educated youths.

I don't see anything wrong with requiring Parenting Ed and Child Development to people who are going to take on the "responsibility" of raising a child. We don't allow parents to beat the crap out of their kids. Is that draconian?
Emotional abuse is just as bad in extremist households.

THESE ARE FACTS.
As far as the educators who would be appointed, it's no different than having a Mathematician teach math, or a Scientist teach science. There are experts who have immersed themselves in the study of social issues, child development, parenting, etc.
Those would obviously be the ones appointed to teach. Even now, there are Parenting Classes offered to people voluntarily. It's not that big of a stretch to require that pregnant people or new parents be taught best practices.

You don't ask someone who's never stepped into vehicle to teach you to drive, or a person who has never learned to play an instrument to direct a school band or give piano lessons.

And lastly, beez, you will never, ever convince me that PARENTING is less important than any other occupation a person can have. ALL professionals need licenses to practice. The same would hold for educators teaching Parenting.

edit on 8/20/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

How would you follow up on parents who have taken your course?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   

If the parent has taken the courses and demonstrated that they understand the material, there would be no follow-up except what we already have: mandated reporters of abuse, which is required of ALL teachers and social service counselors and physicians and cops. People already lose custody of their kids when they screw up enough to get caught.

What in the hell is wrong with getting to them BEFORE they have kids, so that those kids won't wind up in alternative schools for the Severely Emotionally/Behaviorally Disturbed like I taught in for years? Or become 'wards of the state' or in a string of foster homes?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:11 AM
link   

If your mandatory re-education camps for parents was effective, then drivers training would also eliminate bad drivers.

But it doesn't.

We already have reporting agencies in place.

Why add further, the levels of beaurocracy?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

oh for christ's sake, it's not "re-education centers". STOP trying to make it sound like that. Parenting should be part of public education for adolescents (or at least for persons entering into prenatal care or leaving a hospital with a newborn).

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

The Forsaken: A Rising Number of Homeless Gay Teens Are Being Cast Out by Religious Families

While life gets better for millions of gays, the number of homeless LGBT teens - many cast out by their religious families - quietly keeps growing

Source

Every day, young people like this boy are abandoned by their parents simply because they're lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. What many of them experience on the streets is horrible. Fortunately, there is help.
:

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Politicians and activists have been increasingly vocal about how businesses, churches and government institutions treat LGBT people – children and teenagers, in particular. But the most important arena has escaped wide criticism: their homes.

The disdain and discrimination that many gay or gender non-conforming youth receive from their parents has the potential to do far more damage than hostility they experience from others.

The evidence abounds: Kids lacking parental support for their sexual orientation are at higher risk for mental health problems, drug use, and unprotected sex. And the risk isn’t minor – those who felt rejected by their families are eight times more likely to have attempted suicide.

These risks face far too many young people: More than one in four LGBT youth say parents and relatives who don’t accept them are the biggest problem in their lives, according to a Human Rights Campaign survey. And the consequences have been tragic.

A scientific look at the damage parents do when they bully their gay kids

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
So with all the failures by big government and the failures of the academic programs, who are average people supposed to trust?

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If your mandatory re-education camps for parents was effective, then drivers training would also eliminate bad drivers.

But it doesn't.

We already have reporting agencies in place.

Why add further, the levels of beaurocracy?

Could just make it really easy and ban religion. Or just ban religious people from having kids.

Unless it's state approved religion, of course.

posted on Aug, 20 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
So you folks don't see anything wrong with teens becoming homeless via rejection, or emotional distress caused by parental reactions, then. I get it.

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join