It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Again, not the topic here.

The Psychology of the Internet Troll

Anonymity makes all the difference, and unfortunately, this frees some to partake in some pretty egregious behavior. This is particularly true online. We’re 20 years into the experiment of the World Wide Web, and we can clearly see how Internet anonymity plays out across social media, chat rooms, and comment sections. Usually just a nuisance, anonymous troublemakers, known as trolls, can be dangerous when they go after the vulnerable. In an effort to better understand what makes them tick, psychologists are starting to take a closer look at the psychology of the Internet troll.

edit on 8/2/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Sounds like convenient excuses for failed rebuttals.

Especially when something proven to be a lie.

It's social engineering.

"If you disagree then you obviously have a mental condition."

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I regret to inform you that your post has activated the auto-opinion- invalidator'.

Your opinion has been invalidated. Please try again later.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

There's a difference between the occaisional trolling now and then (we probably all do that, for a variety of reasons...among which might be boredom or frustration) and doing this consistently and with malice

And while the intelligent person may recognize the difference there still exists the problem of labels, the dilution of definitions and the eagerness of people to use such labels to nearly categorize their world into little boxes. Harmless jokers get lumped in with people who may be legitimate sadists because it's easier for some to get upset rather than understand why they're so offended.

(post by devaur removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

I regret to inform you that your post has activated the auto-opinion- invalidator'.

Your opinion has been invalidated. Please try again later.

Dang it!

*sigh*

"Please reset opinion validator"

I won't disagree with anyone ever again.

*heart*

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

Again, not the topic here.

How Not?

Often times people who expose BS for what it is are labeled the "T" word or the "S" word.

The lack of rebuttals triggers the psychological reactions you describe.

It's a desperate situation.

Added: clever edit. very good.

edit on Aug-02-2015 by xuenchen because: #wheresjericho

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Well, here's why not. While we might think we can identify trolls, we are coming from a place of what we ourselves have determined the behavior to be. It is not simple disagreement. It is not the jokester. What the discussion here is is that it is a manifestation of mental illness, one that we more than probably are not even equipped to diagnose online.

So trolls are, as has often been suspected, a minority of online commenters, and an even smaller minority of overall Internet users. Overall, the authors found that the relationship between sadism and trolling was the strongest, and that indeed, sadists appear to troll because they find it pleasurable. 'Both trolls and sadists feel sadistic glee at the distress of others. Sadists just want to have fun ... and the Internet is their playground!' The study comes as websites are increasingly weighing steps to rein in trollish behavior but the study authors aren't sure that fix is a realistic one. 'Because the behaviors are intrinsically motivating for sadists, comment moderators will likely have a difficult time curbing trolling with punishments (e.g., banning users),' says Buckels. 'Ultimately, the allure of trolling may be too strong for sadists, who presumably have limited opportunities to express their sadistic interests in a socially-desirable manner.' [Source]

(post by devaur removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   

I don't believe you. As a result of this blatant lie, all your past opinions have also been invalidated. You are on thin ice.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

I don't believe you. As a result of this blatant lie, all your past opinions have also been invalidated. You are on thin ice.

*laughs*

Seems like I'm on it so much, I should look for a time-share.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
This thread is bookmarked.

I'm just curious if/when I write something a month or two from now and someone disagrees, I should use this as a defense of a stated position.

I'll admit the irony would be amusing.

But I think it would be perceived as a weakness of any stated position that I might have.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

If you behave really well, I will consider hooking you up with the Grand Prize -- namely one Jessica Rabbit.

Lucidity: I feel the same way about you as I do Heff. I don't care what you write, as long as you write. S&F.

edit on 8/2/2015 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

I'm just curious if/when I write something a month or two from now and someone disagrees, I should use this as a defense of a stated position.

Meaning, "it's not my fault, I'm mental?"

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Meaning, "it's not my fault, I'm mental?"

No. If someone disagrees with me, I can bully and intimidate them by inferring that they are mental.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Oh.
That'll work too.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

If I didn't get enough sex I'd prolly be a troll too.
Gotta be frustrating.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Trolls destroy threads, aka thread crapping, these threads are posted at the site to be informative and

interesting to read. That interesting to read part is quite important, if ATS has nothing but crapped out off topic

one and two lines of incomplete sentences that do not deal with the subject of the threads tittle, ATS loses

traffic and the clicks that help pay the bills. Not to mention it's no fun to watch your post destroyed by these hooligans.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I just went out and started the old jeep that was sitting for three years.

Hmmm. I'm steering the thread in a different direction again..

I thought being chaotic and steering the subject in a different direction was called politics.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
My thinking is also that trolls are for the most part simply mean and spiteful; however you have to wonder what kind of person gets his kicks from trolling an otherwise interesting thread? There has to be some type of gratification, or rush if you will, from getting everyone upset. It borders on sadistic. Like youtube. Many of those comments are sick and deliberately hurtful. Maybe there is more to it than just meanness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join