It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Not sure wheeher either liberalism or conservatism or anything in between are mental disorders in and of themselves. However, it may be more certain that, more often than not, trolling is. Particularly when there are distinct and repetative patterns.

In this month's issue of Personality and Individual Differences, a study was published (link is external) that confirms what we all suspected: Internet trolls are horrible people.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation. Often, in fact, it seems like there is no real purpose behind their comments except to upset everyone else involved. Trolls will lie, exaggerate, and offend to get a response. [Psychology Today]

Anyone who spends any amount of time online knows them well. And we all know, deep down inside, that the best way to defeat a troll is to not feed him or her, to deny that which they crave and need for their egos. And yet, it's also hard not to fall into the trap at times.

The next time you encounter a troll online, remember:

1. These trolls are some truly difficult people.
2. It is your suffering that brings them pleasure, so the best thing you can do is ignore them.

Don't let them ruin a community or a site. And for damn sure don't let them ruin your day.

edit on 8/2/2015 by ~Lucidity because: fixed a typo...of which there are no doubt a few more.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I never give an internet Troll the power to ruin my day.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I'd wager many are garden variety narcissists, and even more are merely frustrated weak individuals who feel powerless over their situations IRL.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese
Yes. And some are probably psychopaths and sadists, as well. I reckon.

Are all of them all of those? Maybe. But most are probably just dicks.

edit on 8/2/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yepp, some of us are.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Being cool on the internet is like sitting at the cool table in a cafeteria of a mental hospital.
Ignore the noise and don't let yourself get sucked in.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

So, as often seen here, if you disagree with a thread premise, you are a troll, get called a troll, and blahblahblah, evil etc.

So don't disagree with a thread premise, or else!

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: nullafides

originally posted by: Phage

Yepp, some of us are.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Being cool on the internet is like sitting at the cool table in a cafeteria of a mental hospital.
Ignore the noise and don't let yourself get sucked in.

4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,

Great a new label,

4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,4,8,15,16,23,42,

just kidding ignore the Bat

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

So, as often seen here, if you disagree with a thread premise, you are a troll, get called a troll, and blahblahblah, evil etc.

Any disagreement, sarcasm or negative attitude will get you called a troll these days.

I always get a laugh when someone gets deeply upset over a little harmless smartassery and I get called a troll or worse.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Yep Op

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

I'd agree labels are slapped around to the extent we're all covered in them.

The question is if you would do the same smartassery to random people in person.

If so you're not an Internet troll, just a joker of sorts.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

That's not what the topic is. This may well be a real condition among some people. Though whether it's a condition of itself or maybe just a symptom or side effect like pl3bscheese said is up for debate.

There's a difference between the occaisional trolling now and then (we probably all do that, for a variety of reasons...among which might be boredom or frustration) and doing this consistently and with malice.

The abstract from the study...

In two online studies (total N = 1215), respondents completed personality inventories and a survey of their Internet commenting styles. Overall, strong positive associations emerged among online commenting frequency, trolling enjoyment, and troll identity, pointing to a common construct underlying the measures. Both studies revealed similar patterns of relations between trolling and the Dark Tetrad of personality: trolling correlated positively with sadism, psychopathy, and Machiavellianism, using both enjoyment ratings and identity scores. Of all personality measures, sadism showed the most robust associations with trolling and, importantly, the relationship was specific to trolling behavior. Enjoyment of other online activities, such as chatting and debating, was unrelated to sadism. Thus cyber-trolling appears to be an Internet manifestation of everyday sadism.

edit on 8/2/2015 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

originally posted by: beezzer

Any disagreement, sarcasm or negative attitude will get you called a troll these days.

I always get a laugh when someone gets deeply upset over a little harmless smartassery and I get called a troll or worse.

I mean, I can write a post, have someone disagree with me, and call them a troll.

They then, are labeled as narcissists, psychopaths, and sadists.

Kind of like being labeled a racist when someone disagreed with Obama's policies.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation.

Sometimes ideological circle jerks, which is all you're ever going to get if you accuse anyone who disagrees with you of being a troll and ostracize them, need a little disruption.

Does that make one a troll?

So be it.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

In my early days on ATS it was a real eye opener to realize that I was relating directly to some individuals who had very real mental illness. Not all of those people were trolls, in fact a lot of them weren't. Trolls are something else.

(post by devaur removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Sounds like convenient excuses for failed rebuttals.

Especially when something proven to be a lie.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: NthOther

First, I reckon it goes to intent. Second, as with many mental illnesses, the person with the illness may not even be aware.

Accusations hurled back and forth out of immaturity, frustration, or ignorance, don't make it so.

(post by ~Lucidity removed for a manners violation)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join