It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Yes, ATS does to a great job at it. But to be honest, I also kind of miss the ignore feature too

Oh God how I long for the ignore feature. When we had it, I never used it. Nor did I ever "foe" anybody.

I would now. Both.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyinwaiting
Bullies do tend to get weeded out (not without doing harm, unfortunately).

Here's the definition used in the OP.

Let's start by getting our definitions straight: An Internet troll is someone who comes into a discussion and posts comments designed to upset or disrupt the conversation.

Not really a bully.

edit on 8/2/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   

I can definitely see bullies as having those traits, for obvious reasons.

As far as the *reason* for it, I would go so far as to say it's about self-inadequacy and compensatory control, to which they respond by trolling, or stalking, others to build their own perceived self importance. Narcissism in that they see something in themselves which others don't, and which therefore causes a sort of rage, said rage which is or develops into psychopathy and not caring about people (hence bullying as well), and resulting in the sadism and pleasure gained from trolling/bullying and the perceived power and control at the expense of others.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Is liberalism a mental illness?
Is conservatism a mental illness?
Trolling IS a mental illness.

All ATS needs is a couch and a lobby with old "Sports Illustrated" magazines and it'd be a therapists office.

lolz

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I remember when trolling was an art form. The victim often didn't realize what was going on until it was too late. Now, 'troll' gets thrown around everywhere. Troll != flamebait.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I think the worst thing I've done online is pretend to be someone I'm not. Like I"ll pretend to be conservative or pretend to be asexual or pretend to be passionate about something I'm not. However, most of the time I post, it's because I'm genuinely interested in something and want to understand it. It's not to troll. (Unfortunately, I think just by making this post some people will convince themelves I'm always a troll 24/7.)

I do think pretending to be something I'm not bordered on trolling, but to only frame it that way is a huge distortion. I think I pretended to be something I wasn't because I wanted to avoid the pain of actually being invested in an argument. And another reason is I felt guilty for not being able understand what someone else like. Moreso, I wanted to be able to like someone who disagrees, no matter what they disagree about. One thing I greatly dislike about myself is I get heated sometimes when I get involved in a thread or topic. And over the years I've tried to reduce it. This was a way to do that. Another is just don't get involved. Make a post and then leave. If you don't come back actively you won't get involved.

I think the best example I can give to clarify this is conservatism versus liberalism. When I was younger, I tended towards liberalism. But as I've grown older, I felt guilty about not understanding conservatism. I also sometimes respected the things conservatives say they stand for. I did not like everything, though. So I pretended to be more conservative in random internet places. In the course of this journey, I learned a little bit about myself. By roleplaying something I'm not, I actually found conservative things I didn't know were there inside me. And over the course of this journey, I've actually become more conservative. I belong more in the center, politically, but I'm not as liberal as I once was.

Over the past year or two I try to be more and more honest. One of my best tactics to prevent myself from getting too involved is to post and then leave and not check on replies. The probelm with checking every reply is you start to get too involved. That's when it just becomes flames. Too much stress. It ain't worth it. Walking away and staying away is much better.

I think many people label others as trolls or ignore them just because they disagree and don't want to examine themselves. So I think sometimes the peope who call others trolls are themselves not of reputable status. A troll might be there just to cause mayhem, but a person like this is there just to state what htey think and not ever explore opposing views honestly.
edit on 2-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: jonnywhite

I think the worst thing I've done online is pretend to be someone I'm not. Like I"ll pretend to be conservative or pretend to be asexual or pretend to be passionate about something I'm not.
That is not trolling if it motivates discussion of a topic.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I think the worst thing I've done online is pretend to be someone I'm not. Like I"ll pretend to be conservative or pretend to be asexual or pretend to be passionate about something I'm not.
That is not trolling if it motivates discussion of a topic.

I pretended to be that privately. I did not openly disclose it. It was an act. AS I was doing it, I was well aware I was doing it because I was tired of being angry about topics I really do believe in. I didn't want to be angry, so I argued things which I don't actually support. But as I said, over the course of pretending to be conservative, I became more conservative. I identified things in myself that were conservative. I tended to hate on conservatism less and less just because I was pretending to be conservative in some of my posts. I'm not sure how it all happened, but I'm at a stage now where I feel like I can relate to both liberals and conseratives.

My best advice to people who get angry at disagreement when they post about something strongly felt is to simply post and leave. Don't come back. Don't watch for replies. Come back after a couple weeks, when your emotions are settled and the topic is distant. You'll be better able to handle disagreement. And again, post and leave. Repeat. And try not to stay in the same threads as you do this. Need variety.
edit on 2-8-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Getting angry is seldom productive.

But taking the "opposing" side of a discussion can be a very good learning experience. As you discovered. Doing so is not necessarily disingenuous.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I am an internet troll myself. Except I only troll whenever I'm just in the mood of messing with people and being a total dick (not always). It's the internet, I don't bring my real life self and emotions to the web and I don't bring the web into my life. I am a completely different person here.

In real life though, I am a very kind and friendly person.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:11 AM
link   

UMM Excuse me here ... those humanoid charactors in your crossing sign
are a Brownie and a Gnome. not a Troll

TROLL!

Just Saying !

edit on 12015MondayfAmerica/Chicago8214 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

But taking the "opposing" side of a discussion can be a very good learning experience. As you discovered. Doing so is not necessarily disingenuous.

Hmmm, have you done this(gmo's)? I'm on to you Phage!

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   

AS i troll i give you a thought or plant a seed. Do i make you feel less by a narcissistic standard? Well no, in one way or another we all are narcissistic, its a natural instinct. Is it a Machiavellian trait, well im trying to figure out in which way its Machiavellian, since Machiavelli implies leadership and not humanity it doesnt fit under the category either. Is it sadist, well from the one being trolled it probably is, ones reality differs from another. Many of the people in here have problem with reality, the mere illusion of society. Anything thats out of bonds is extra terrestrial or Supernatural. Reality is a really cold place, and 85% of this world live in it. If you are one of the lucky ones, then as a troll im saying get out into the real world or im gonna shove it down ya f*cking throat.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I for one love trolls. All my friends on Steam are trolls, and there's nothing like watching a slew of babies get butt hurt because they're taking themselves and everything else so seriously.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:32 AM
link   
'Victims' of Internet trolls are self-loathers, insecure, and masochists.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 02:57 AM
link   

"Because it upsets me" isn't a refutation of any particular argument. "Because it disrupts a conversation" is not a refutation of any particular argument. If an argument is nonsense, untruthful, slanderous or obscene, it can easily be shown to be so without having to resort to name-calling.

Accusing others of being a "Troll" is more an admission of one's own fancy and laziness, rather than any true statement about other individuals, whom for the most we lack any direct contact with.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

What if some trolls are paid to be trolls

What then ?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Wolfenz

They're in disguise.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope
Exactly. I think that's a salient point here. We toss the word around based on our own perceptions, issues, and so on. But that's not relevant really if there is a real pathology lurking. Scattershot we might hit a real troll or two, but for the most part its overused.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join