It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
OK folks, very very slightly off topic :

www.imdb.com...

I loved it.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Watcher012

There are other words for that and again the may pick them based on these personality traits...or they may not. They may have them...or they may just be really good actors.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists

I heard that trolls aren't even human. I also heard they have links with IS.

Anyways be very afraid. They have hurt many feelings on the internet before.

You don't want your feelings to get hurt do you?

Come on, psychological trolls are not the problem. The hordes of organised trolls with a specific agenda are the problem.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Maybe, just maybe, it's the damned internet itself that is the problem. We are all part troll on here at one point, on one place or the other.

"Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists"...change the word 'troll' to user and it might be closer to some actual universal truth.

And yeah, I include myself.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

They're cowards, who wouldn't dare say any of the vitriol they post online to people's faces.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
a reply to: beezzer

Trolls destroy threads, aka thread crapping, these threads are posted at the site to be informative and

interesting to read. That interesting to read part is quite important, if ATS has nothing but crapped out off topic

one and two lines of incomplete sentences that do not deal with the subject of the threads tittle, ATS loses

traffic and the clicks that help pay the bills. Not to mention it's no fun to watch your post destroyed by these hooligans.

There's a fine line between a true troll and a real discussion - basically someone who comes into a thread and disagrees but their disagreement makes you mad.

The troll has no intent beyond disrupting. The latter genuinely is trying to discuss, but they can't help that their disagreement is upsetting to you.
edit on 3-8-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick1
Maybe, just maybe, it's the damned internet itself that is the problem. We are all part troll on here at one point, on one place or the other.

"Internet Trolls Are Narcissists, Psychopaths, and Sadists"...change the word 'troll' to user and it might be closer to some actual universal truth.

And yeah, I include myself.

I draw the line at intent.

I don't intend to troll. I am actually trying to discuss productively, but I have no doubt others construe me as a troll at times because my attempts to discuss upset them which is part of what makes a troll.

A true troll could care less if there is any productive discussion. They just want to watch the thread burn.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
At the same time I think heavy moderation can ruin a site. I remember this page use to have tons of activity and there was a spike of deleted members, posts etc. For me the page never regained that momentum. There was a time I really thought this page was so busy it was gonna go mainstream. Which would of sucked but would of been a financial win for the owner or owners.

Trolls never bother me. I rather be able to see all posts than wonder what was deleted or moved or even what could of been even with some riff raff.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: YouPeople

My feelings, darlin? I've been online since almost day one, before probably half the people here were born. You can't hurt my feelings online. So don't you worry about me.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Maverick1
Maybe as has been mentioned already, it's the anonymity?

And my guess is that the next study might be, Does Internet Rudeness Spill Over into Real Life Social Interactions? Maybe it's even already been done.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: jamespond
That part above was to you....can't get my phone to copy here.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Why is there not an option on these forums to ignore these trolls?

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I feel the term troll and the act of trolling has been changed over time, and here's why.

Back in 2006-ish, when the term 'trolling' was much unheard of, it was more of an art rather than just blatant heckling or abuse hurling. If done correctly, it was to derail someone's argument using their own flawed logic, often making them contradict themselves and generally make them look like an idiot. Over time though people like Tristan Barker took it too far, and just openly abused people - using his 'Facebeef' Facebook group to publically shame people, he was on the news too and punched a reporter while dressed as Hitler. Don't get it twisted folks, he and others like him are certainly not trolls but attention seeking d***heads.

I was a regular on 4chan back in 2005 to about 2010 (When it started getting full of sh*tposting, although sometimes visit), and I have to say the general outlook on 4chan these days is pretty far from the truth, or far from what it used to be - but the website and community there have changed a lot also. I strongly suggest you watch this documentary if you want more of a truthful account on 4chan and the origins of trolling. As soon as the media started reporting on trolling I knew the original term and art would sadly die out, because as with everything the MSM reports on it's usually wrong in some way or another.

Just thought I'd chip in my 2 c's

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked

There used to be. It was removed.
edit on 3-8-2015 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Poppcocked

We have a built-in ignore button in the form of opting not to read a particular post.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: Poppcocked

We have a built-in ignore button in the form of opting not to read a particular post.

not anymore,

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

not anymore,

Always.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

There also seems to be an option to read just a part of a post.....

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

So, as often seen here, if you disagree with a thread premise, you are a troll, get called a troll, and blahblahblah, evil etc.

So don't disagree with a thread premise, or else!

I don't know. There are those who can disagree with maturity or even good humor and don't seem to have an agenda.

Then there are those who when they disagree must attempt to engage the other poster with classic emotional and/or ego engagement techniques - hallmarks of disinformation or just extremely immature individuals, use scorn, sarcasm.......without all these they would almost have nothing to say.

So if someone disagrees with you are they a "troll" or "disinfo agent"? Not necessarily but possibly.

posted on Aug, 3 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity

They use Roundup in that stuff right?

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join