It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aren’t you glad you were born into the right religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I recall sitting in church when I was really young thinking “Please get me the heck out of here!”, and as time moved on I became indoctrinated into our particular faith.

Years past and I hit college and took formal logic, and philosophy which made me question everything in my life.

The one question that really rocked my world was.

Aren’t you glad you were born into the right religion?

The answer that came changed my entire world, and mindset.

edit on 2-8-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Fortunately for me, my parents were raised on slightly different versions of the same lie, and never could agree which direction to brainwash their children.

Instead, they left me to make up my own damn mind.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I'm glad I was born in the right country Sorry off topic. What was your world changing answer, you have no free will?
edit on 2-8-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth
I wasn't born into a religion, my family had a protestant background. I think something happened when my father was serving during WW2. He was stationed and india and maybe it was just seeing how the society justified their class system made him begin to wonder. but well, we didn't have a religious upbringing and I always had the impression that it had something to do with his time in India, where well, him and his buddies were almost killed by the natives because they hit a cow and put it out of it's misery.
I was free to explore religion on my own, my dad gave me a bible, and provided me with lots of information on the world's cultures. through my life I adopted a few different religions of the christian variety, but concluded that they were not right in many aspect.
so I would answer your question with a question....
which one is the right religion?
I came to the conclusion that there really isn't one and well, started paving my own path with the idea that they all have some truths within them but well, they have all had times when those truths were twisted more to man's liking. the is no right religion...

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I know. The vast majority of people born into a religion stay there, and think it's the 'only true religion'. What a mess of trouble people and entire nations get into from these childhood-induced memes. If it was alright for Mums and Dadda, it must be true. Jeez.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

keep calm, young padawan, because matters it not.

may The Force be with you.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   
My dad was atheist. Mom covered her bases with pretty much all of the majors and more than a few of the minors or none of them, depending on what day it was, and we subsequent two generations got exposed to it all and got to pick our own way. For the very longest time, I labored under the impression that everyone did. Socially, we went to Catholic school in the city for a time but quit due to bigotry, and then upstate in a very small community, hung out with a Jesuit Catholic parish priest as he was a good friend of my uncles and performed weekely services in the wood along side a stream and was not a bigot and who is now a Cardinal in Rome. Eventually, everyone finds their own way, though early indoctrination and exposure is very powerful.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Our parents did it to us and now my brother is indoctrinating his son into religion. They go to everything church: church sermons, Bible study group, church socials, church sports, church cub scouts, the poor lad even goes to church school.

Church, church, church, every day of the week…

I can already tell he's confused as hell about life.
edit on 2-8-2015 by intrptr because: clarity

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Im privileged to be born in the Right country, nothing to do with religion

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
We gave our children a firm understanding of the basic aspects in the major religions of the world along with a solid scientific approach to problem solving.

Then, we unleashed them on the world...

Muwahahahahahahahaha.....ha

ha

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
We gave our children a firm understanding of the basic aspects in the major religions of the world along with a solid scientific approach to problem solving.

Then, we unleashed them on the world...

Muwahahahahahahahaha.....ha

ha

Did anyone call social services on you?

It sounds like you did something that was logical and empowering.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Yep, it's all about location, location, location!

Born in India? You'll most likely be Hindu. Born in the Middle East? You'll most likely be Muslim. Born in Israel? You'll most likely be Jewish. Born in the United States? You'll most likely be Christian.

It has nothing to do with truth and everything to do with the particular culture you're born into.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
My parents claim to be Christian but don't go to church. My dad was forced to attend church as a kid and he didn't want me to go through that.

I went to a Christian school from 1st grade through graduation and there was a bible class as part of our curriculum. World history and biology were taught in a way that wouldn't contradict the Bible. We attended weekly "assemblies" that were basically a church service with a bunch of brainwashing nonsense.

None of it worked. I never really believed it because I couldn't make logical sense of it all. I've always been the type to question everything instead of simply accepting what I'm told.

Religion relies on people willing to accept irrational tales without questioning them too deeply. There's a good reason religious leaders encourage people to have "faith" instead of asking questions. "Faith" is just another word for "belief without logic." It's exactly like me telling you to give me $10,000 and just have faith that I'll bring you $20,000 next week.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   
My aunt would drag me to church whenever I stayed with her. Hated every second of it. Still scares me to this day, that logical, smart people, believe that an invisible man in the sky, created everything.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
No religion in my upbringing and I am thankful for that. I was raised in the 1950's by free thinking people. And I was allowed to make up my own mind about life, a 5 year old can't make informed choices, but it gave me the opportunity to think for myself when I got older and could explore all the options, what to believe and what not to believe.

And I'm please to say I'm an Agnostic/Humanist with a bit of Buddha thrown in. The eternal optimist in me thinks there could be something else when we die and the rational side of me says, no. And then another side says it matters not.

What needs to be taught to every child is to behave decently towards all life, not just humans. And to be kind.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I feel like I've been banging my head against a wall for decades when trying to explain to people why I extracted myself from Tribalism. We haven't progressed socially very much from the old days. Religions are an indicator that were are still very reliant on being controlled into various collectives.

Religion is the worlds greatest and most successful mind control exercise of the powerful over the people.

Now in western society people sell themselves "I chose it" . Naaaah you didn't. It feeds fears you were taught as a kid.

Social identity and fear of the repercussions in the afterlife is a good shackle. What a great scam telling people how their afterlife will work.
edit on 2-8-2015 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I made my own saying once "Religion is regional" meaning wherever you're born usually helps dictate what religion you practice.

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
Fortunately for me, my parents were raised on slightly different versions of the same lie, and never could agree which direction to brainwash their children.

Instead, they left me to make up my own damn mind.

If you were left to make up your own mind, and still chose religion, then you were still brainwashed, just not by your parents.

My parents tried to push Church of England style Christianity, and I've grown up an atheist.

Yes, your parents highly influence your religion (or complete lack of religious belief in my case) and it takes a very strong person to look at the religion they were raised in and say "that's ridiculous".

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

My mother raised me to believe in Jesus, but did not have me baptized. She decided religion was a personal choice that I would make when I was ready.

She told me that when I needed God I would find him through prayer. She taught me the most important philosophy was to love others, and not to judge other people in the heavenly since.

I now accept the foundation of all major religions is an Internal Devine Spirit, that most call the Holy Spirit. What she taught me allowed me to have an open mind.

In my life I have been lucky enough to be exposed to Loving people from most major religions. I realized that I would not personally be able to condemn any of them to hell without accepting hell as my own judgment.

I have accepted that all the people that are called prophets were men that connected to the Holy Spirit, and I consider them all my teachers.

All the prophets claimed that those who turn to the righteous principle of do no harm except in just defense will be forgiven for their past mistakes. A concept that I fully believe in.

I see how each religion is a compliment to the others, and can see past Ritual Salvation to the true Spirit that lies behind all the Rituals and Temporal Laws.

Those who have become so obsessed by the notion that they posses the only right way to God, or even those who think they have the only right way to govern the world are guilty of genocide.

The only right way is to Love your neighbor and to do unjust harm to anyone. This is the foundation of All the religions, and anyone who doesn't agree simply does not understand the religious texts they are reading.

Anyone who finds a message of hate or condemnation in their religion has been indoctrinated into false understanding of Scripture.

Many men who stand at the pulpit, with their hands out waiting for your money to feed them, claim to know God but prove by words of separation, intolerance and hate that they are mistaken.

The problem with being brought up with a false understanding of Any Scripture is you have been told that to believe anything else will lead to hell.

For the mind to overcome such dogma is very problematic. Fear of hell keeps the person from exploring any other possibilities. Even other possibilities within their own religion.

Most Atheist/Agnostic that I have met, were either raised Atheist/Agnostic or were indoctrinated into a religion of fear that condemns most of the world to hell, simply for not following the correct dogma.

It saddens me that so many people are Atheist/Agnostic because of the separation, fear and hate taught by most churches.

My hope is one day everyone will be able to have a personal relationship with the Divine part of themselves, and discover the true meaning of enlightenment.

My hope is that everyone will feal comfortable reading All the Scripture and find what I have found.

The truth can be found in all if them, once you get past the wrong understanding taught by those who in their self-righteousness have twisted the Scripture and caused division, separation and genocide.

Peace, Tolerance, and some day acceptance and unification of all through the Holy Spirit. The Divine voice of Love and Reason in you, in me, in everyone.

We are all God's children and Love is the Divine concept that will one day unify mankind to the age of enlightenment, a time predicted in all the scriptures.
edit on 2-8-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
Bible study group, church socials, church sports, church cub scouts, the poor lad even goes to church school.

Church, church, church, every day of the week…

This was my life from birth to about 13, when I started to think for myself. It took another 15 years to try all the religions and belief systems I could find to find something that "fit", but I finally come to my own beliefs, without the clutter of confusions I was raised in. I consider being born into ANY religion as a huge disadvantage and a deterrent to free-thought and USING one's rational mind.

If the religion (OR country) you're born into is "right" and all others are "wrong"... we can logically follow that thought to its inane and illogical conclusion.

Good thread, Realtruth!
edit on 8/2/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join