It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida Man Ordered by City to Keep BBQ Smell From Leaving His Property

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Guilty of thinking it. Because it probably is.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Charge the old lady with Harresment.....

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

so your saying that just because the county guy is white and his bosses sent him out to check, that it's a race deal, you know that people that work for counties have supervisors right and that the guy probably isn't the one who took the call. hell with all the throwing around of the word racist i can't blame him for saying that it's not racist.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

I love how the clipboard guy expressly encourages the BBQ guy to also use the law as a weapon against his neighbor in kind.

With a hint of delight, he assured him that he would be pleased to come back and harass his neighbor.

When law is used to organize injustice, it can no longer organize justice.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Rocker2013

The guy has clearly arrived to tell them that their use of their BBQ equipment is causing a nuisance to neighbors, and without knowing the rest of the information how can you claim that this isn't true?

Just one neighbor, actually, who according to these guys has called police and fire department on numerous occasions because of the 'smell'.

She's the only one having a problem, they should cite her for misuse of the emergency response system.

That they don't and focus on these guys suggests systemic abuse…

Or it could equally suggest that maybe the guy has his BBQ right next to the fence between their properties so she's the only one getting the full brunt of the smoke? Perhaps the guy is like my father - completely incapable of running a BBQ without somehow turning it into a bonfire that could send smoke-signals to outer space and flooding the garden with the smell of burning meat.

There are lots of ifs, buts, and maybes involved in this story. The neighbour might just be a serial complainer, but equally she might have a valid complaint.

I think the trade-off for city living is that you need to accept a certain amount of nuisance in your life. Only a certain amount, though. The question for this story is which side of that line did the behaviour fall?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
This is completely ridiculous, unreasonable, and beyond the scope of Government at any level.

This guy must have had a spectacularly bad lawyer that wasn't able to fight this ruling.

Better Call Saul.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Really Jude, surely you must know the story can't be true because 'they' haven't taken our BBQ's here in the UK, yet.
The US never introduces new restrictive laws before the UK has shone an example of it first.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

i knew someone would come along and make it a raciest deal.
how do you know that it wasn't a black neighborhood, and the woman wasn't a old cranky black lady.

Just calling it like I see it mate.

A white bloke investigating a totally ridiculous complaint, well going out of his way to be amendment that it was nothing personal. Which makes me suspicious that it was personal.

... because as your reaction to this thread shows, everything in this country has become personal. Just like if I don't like something about the way policy is done, if isn't because I don't like the policy, it's because I can't handle a black president. See how that works?

Most people are now on egg shells when they end up dealing with someone of a different color for any reason.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

I got blasted that a maximum wage is too much government control.

This is down right ridiculous. Where do they find these idiots? What American is ANTI-BBQ?

Can we please institute a complete idiot clause allowing us THE CITIZENS to FIRE on the spot PUBLIC LEADERS WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO REPRESENT THE PUBLIC, who are obviously idiots?

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   
You know the best way to get neighbors to stop complaining about the BBQ smell?
Invite them over to share some with you.
Then again maybe that thought never occurred to these people?
It probably has less to do with the grill and more to do with lots of people hanging out drinking, talking loudly while the music is going Fmmmp..Fmmp.Fmmmp

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Hey, you don't know ... the guy might actually be a crappy Q man.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Hey, you don't know ... the guy might actually be a crappy Q man.

Any Q is Good Q.

Jude

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Really Jude, surely you must know the story can't be true because 'they' haven't taken our BBQ's here in the UK, yet.
The US never introduces new restrictive laws before the UK has shone an example of it first.

I thought you folks only used microwave ovens...

Jude

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

originally posted by: grainofsand

I thought you folks only used microwave ovens...

Hey I've heard about them...but don't you need electricity first?

Seriously though, the only complaints I've ever heard about BBQ's here is the associated drinking, loud music, loud voices etc late into the night.
Personally I've never had any complaints because I've always invited the close neighbours, and it's just swings and roundabouts when they in turn have a loud one.

We do have 'anti social behaviour' laws here which are a wide brush covering anything that pisses the community off, but basically they are only enforced if a load of neighbours are repeatedly making complaints about you.
That said, if a load of neighbours are making multiple complaints then you need to ask questions about your behaviour, and/or if you are living in a community best suited to yourself.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: babybunnies
This is completely ridiculous, unreasonable, and beyond the scope of Government at any level.

This guy must have had a spectacularly bad lawyer that wasn't able to fight this ruling.

Better Call Saul.

Scotty Jordan should host a neighborhood cookout with everyone but this ignorent neighbor and cook out all day long. And if the guy complains again, should be told to get over himself by whomever he complains to.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: EvillerBob

She lives across the street.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I do know - I've lived in mixed race neighborhoods before. I suppose it comes down to a clash of cultural norms. what some consider too loud isn't to others, tastes in music vary widely shall we say? Usually the neighbors are ok people but once a party gets happening all their friends who don't live there and don't care what the neighbors think just do their thing.
It's not unusual for people to resort to any law they can to get others to change. Noise before 10 pm isn't usually considered a nuisance unless you're the one putting up with it.
I've been on the other side too often having band practice at my house.
I've tested my neighbors patience many times.
It's either old people or couples with small children who are common complainants.

As for an EPA rule against BBQ smoke - that's sacrilegious man!

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: EvillerBob

originally posted by: intrptr
a reply to: Rocker2013

The guy has clearly arrived to tell them that their use of their BBQ equipment is causing a nuisance to neighbors, and without knowing the rest of the information how can you claim that this isn't true?

Just one neighbor, actually, who according to these guys has called police and fire department on numerous occasions because of the 'smell'.

She's the only one having a problem, they should cite her for misuse of the emergency response system.

That they don't and focus on these guys suggests systemic abuse…

Or it could equally suggest that maybe the guy has his BBQ right next to the fence between their properties so she's the only one getting the full brunt of the smoke? Perhaps the guy is like my father - completely incapable of running a BBQ without somehow turning it into a bonfire that could send smoke-signals to outer space and flooding the garden with the smell of burning meat.

There are lots of ifs, buts, and maybes involved in this story. The neighbour might just be a serial complainer, but equally she might have a valid complaint.

I think the trade-off for city living is that you need to accept a certain amount of nuisance in your life. Only a certain amount, though. The question for this story is which side of that line did the behaviour fall?

The neighbor that is complaining is stated to be living across the street. They even pan the camera to her house across the street. Their properties are separated by a street. I'm more inclined to agree with asktheanimals. This is probably about noise. If that's what is the real problem, she should complain about them disturbing the peace, not the smell of their BBQ.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
a reply to: ketsuko

I do know - I've lived in mixed race neighborhoods before. I suppose it comes down to a clash of cultural norms. what some consider too loud isn't to others, tastes in music vary widely shall we say? Usually the neighbors are ok people but once a party gets happening all their friends who don't live there and don't care what the neighbors think just do their thing.
It's not unusual for people to resort to any law they can to get others to change. Noise before 10 pm isn't usually considered a nuisance unless you're the one putting up with it.
I've been on the other side too often having band practice at my house.
I've tested my neighbors patience many times.
It's either old people or couples with small children who are common complainants.

As for an EPA rule against BBQ smoke - that's sacrilegious man!

Well with the invention of electric grills the EPA thinks its gonna win eventually.

posted on Jul, 25 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Khaleesi

But she reportedly already went the police and fire department routes. The police apparently didn't do anything other than maybe speak to the guy. Not sure if they even came out and it would be interesting to know what that complaint was, but why call the fire department about noise?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join