It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How food stamps/Medicaid/child care subsidies work

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Its hard to be poor by yourself.

Its easier to be poor with a child.

I have overheard women at work talk about pushing out another child purposefully to increase their benefits. I clenched my fists and walked away, teeth grinding.

Anecdotal evidence and rare.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

And? So? Let's just starve the existing children here since their parents don;t have the right papers. However people will cry over abortions. Give me a break.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Thanks for all the responses. Great conversation so far.

Ketsuko, yes, if someone is undocumented and their children are born in the U.S., then the children can get benefits. They are usually the poorest of the poor. They do count the parents income. Many are working more than one job. They are mistreated by their employers and take the dirty work most of us would look down on. So I hardly think they have it made in the shade. They are also some of the nicest people I see. They are polite, and despite their bleak lot in life are almost always smiling.

I refuse to look down on someone who is trying to make a better life for their family. Don't judge lest you be judged.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: Bilk22

I don't understand your post. I explained it just fine.

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

She didn't state either way. But if it makes you happy, we will drown them all in a hole.
Now that's not really the issue, is it? Try sticking to the subject at hand. Also understand what the reality of the situation is, how life really works and what Obama's amnesty program will do. Attacking me without really knowing my position on the topic is immature.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: threestepsmr
a reply to: ChiefD

You can also buy things like fruit and vegetable seeds onion sets and plants. I believe this aspect of the program is under utilized. Perhaps some basic gardening instructions could be added to maximize the potential help.
You can use ebt at a lot of farmer;s markets. I think you can buy seeds with them at places that take EBT. I myself kill any plant, no green thumb. Good idea, sure, throw that in. But you can;t force people to grow things.

My chia pet got moldy.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I don't understand your post. I explained it just fine.

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

She didn't state either way. But if it makes you happy, we will drown them all in a hole.
Now that's not really the issue, is it? Try sticking to the subject at hand. Also understand what the reality of the situation is, how life really works and what Obama's amnesty program will do. Attacking me without really knowing my position on the topic is immature.

I gave a response that would solve what seems to be your problem.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Who is attacking you? And why are you trolling? Please stay on subject. Do not turn this into more political bashing.

edit on 21-7-2015 by ChiefD because: Fat fingers

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: threestepsmr

Yes, you're right, that is underutilized. We have a website that talks about planting veggies, and we have a farmer's market every Saturday where most of the vendors accept EBT. So more can buy fresh affordable food. I always smile when I see the signs saying they accept EBT.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Cato Institute: Welfare Pays More Than Twice Minimum Wage In A Dozen States

"Many welfare recipients, even those receiving the highest level of benefits, are doing everything they can to find employment and leave the welfare system," the study's authors concludes. "Still, it is undeniable that for many recipients —especially long-term dependents — welfare pays more than the type of entry level job that a typical welfare recipient can expect to find."

Only 42% are following the guidelines while the rest slip through the cracks. We spend over half a trillion per year on low income families. You finally get a job and make less, increasing your struggle. Where's the incentive?

In my opinion, it was designed to keep certain "undesirables" down because they don't want to work hard and will never be coerced to change their minds.

The government would rather pay to keep them poor and unproductive, a method of control, than reform their own self serving system to create a path towards self sustainability.

Too many educated, self sufficient, non-corrupt individuals create a "too many fish in our pond" scenario for the big boys.

edit on 21-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Who is attacking you? And why are you trolling? Please stay on subject. Do not turn this into more political bashing.

I've been trying to stay on topic, but some people have preconceived notions and choose to paint me with their brush.

I asked some questions that still have yet to be answered.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
ChiefD, God Bless You for your kind heart and your wisdom.

I am positive there is waste, fraud and abuse by some. I believe (as many have alluded to) that some reforms are sorely needed.

It is a shame that the actions of the fraudsters makes us question the depth of need of anyone that applies for assistance.

It is also a shame that politicians and bureaucrats have made these programs entitlements (i.e. if you meet the letter of the law, regardless of whether there is a true "need" in your house, you qualify). Which serves only to make us question the need of anyone that applies.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD
I have a small backyard garden. I grow a variety of things I love to eat and literally go to war each year with deer rabbits and groundhogs to preserve it. Several years ago I began growing five rows of squash and zucchini, while I'm not a fan there easy low matinance plants with a huge yield. I donate almost every thing I grow from these five rows and an assortment of other vegetables to two different local food banks. The folks working the donation centers always light up thank me profusely and tell me how they almost never get fresh organic produce. I guess I do it for me I always feel better like I really made a difference. But to my larger point if the SNAP program /food stamps were doing enough if it is over saturated and not needed then why does my small town need a half dozen food banks. I don't think the program goes far enough...

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Nice meme...

Where did the other 2 States comes from?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
a reply to: reldra

Cato Institute: Welfare Pays More Than Twice Minimum Wage In A Dozen States

"Many welfare recipients, even those receiving the highest level of benefits, are doing everything they can to find employment and leave the welfare system," the study's authors concludes. "Still, it is undeniable that for many recipients —especially long-term dependents — welfare pays more than the type of entry level job that a typical welfare recipient can expect to find."

Only 42% are following the guidelines while the rest slip through the cracks. We spend over half a trillion per year on low income families. Where's the incentive? While I agree there should be something there to help, it needs an overhaul.

In my opinion, it was designed to keep certain "undesirables" down because they don't want to work hard and will never be coerced to change their minds. Many have an entitlement attitude.

The government would rather pay to keep them poor and unproductive, a method of control, than reform their own self serving system to create a path towards self sustainability.

Too many educated, self sufficient, non-corrupt individuals create a "too many fish in our pond" scenario for the big boys.
Finally an honest look and response to the issue.

Yes, some people need help, but many do not understand the reality of how things work. The system is rife with abuse and poor oversight. If the GAO were to do an honest auditing of the system, people's heads would explode.

"Undocumented"/illegal "residents" present many problems, some of which are detrimental to them. However these issues are constantly overlooked. Some are detrimental to even those who would have totally open borders. Has anyone ever been in a car accident with an "undocumented alien"? Did they have insurance even though they had a fully valid driver's license? People have no clue what the depths of the issues are and yet they want to be fully supportive of open borders.

For the record, my family were immigrants - of the prior century. However they came here legally. They assimilated and learned English. So I'm not against immigration what so ever. However I am against having people here that are not accountable. That is a huge problem and yes they are educated, not all, but many, in how to exploit the system. Not all are from Mexico or Central or South America, either. "Your" government wants to know everything about you, but have little interest in knowing who is crossing the borders illegally? Really? Care to tell me why?

This last part isn't meant for the poster I responded to, so please don't take it that way.
edit on 07852Tuesdayk22 by Bilk22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Thanks for all the responses. Great conversation so far.

Ketsuko, yes, if someone is undocumented and their children are born in the U.S., then the children can get benefits. They are usually the poorest of the poor. They do count the parents income. Many are working more than one job. They are mistreated by their employers and take the dirty work most of us would look down on. So I hardly think they have it made in the shade. They are also some of the nicest people I see. They are polite, and despite their bleak lot in life are almost always smiling.

I refuse to look down on someone who is trying to make a better life for their family. Don't judge lest you be judged.

No, they don't because they can't. It's undocumented income.

Maybe they count it in your state, but as I said, it doesn't work that way everywhere.

But thank you for admitting that illegal aliens DO get the benefits you originally stated they don't.
edit on 21-7-2015 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

And? So? Let's just starve the existing children here since their parents don;t have the right papers. However people will cry over abortions. Give me a break.

No, I say overhaul the system, but that would make too much sense and then the bleeding heart vote might dry up.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Nice meme...

Where did the other 2 States comes from?

DC would likely be one. See it counted there? It's technically not a state, but it's counted like one in the tallies. If they counted Puerto Rico or Guam, either one of those would be the other.

Oh well, maybe someone was binging on Obama and his 57 that day.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Lol it's a fox article and a meme from one of the Koch brothers...

It's guaranteed BS.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Tell that to all the homeless people I see getting all that money.

BTW, the source of that article is from a libertarian institute. No way do I believe anything from them. Absolute bs.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Lol it's a fox article and a meme from one of the Koch brothers...

It's guaranteed BS.

Here's the PDF.

I'll let you be the judge. No need to lump the Fox into it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join