It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How food stamps/Medicaid/child care subsidies work

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+76 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Hi everyone. I decided to post this thread after seeing a number of threads bashing and slamming those receiving food stamps, Medicaid, and child care subsidies.

I imagine more than a few of you are receiving benefits of this sort. I work at my county human services department, in economic support. I see people come in on a daily basis to apply for benefits, so I have insight on how it works.

I want to clear up some misconceptions. First, if a person is undocumented, they cannot receive food stamps, Medicaid, or child care. I have seen several posts by people saying they can. That is not true. Second, these benefits are not handed out like candy. People are required to turn in many verifications, and they have a narrow timeframe in which to turn them in.

If they turn in the verifications in a timely manner, and they are within the income/ household composition criteria, they will receive benefits. Every six months, they must re verify their situation and turn in more verifications in order to keep their benefits. If they do not, their benefits will end. For food stamps, you get a card. You use it like a debit card. You cannot buy alcohol or cigarettes with an EBT card.

One cannot simply stroll in, say they have 19 kids, and we hand them cash. It doesn't work that way. The process can seem humiliating, and that is because the few bad apples that commit fraud ruin it and make it all the harder for everyone.

I see people from all walks of life come into my office. Guess what? They are people, not animals. They have hopes and dreams. They have good and bad in their life, like the rest of us. The great majority are good people in a bad way, either by a couple of poor decisions or life circumstances. Of course, we only hear the horror stories in the news because if it bleeds, it leads.

I'm pissed and tired of hearing all this bashing of people because they are poor! If I had a dollar for everyone who told me they were ashamed to even be there, I would have been able to retire long ago to a beach in Tahiti.

I wish everyone would have more compassion for poor people. I remember something one of my former bosses said to me shortly before I started working at human services - most of us are 2-3 pay checks away from being on the other side of my counter, applying for benefits. Most us us would be well to heed that.

I hope my thread educates those who read it.

+9 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Wow! What a wonderful post! Thank you ChiefD! There, but for the Grace of God go each and everyone of us.

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
said to me shortly before I started working at human services - most of us are 2-3 pay checks away from being on the other side of my counter, applying for benefits. Most us us would be well to heed that.

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Thx for posting this
....great to get a little insight into this....i too cannot stand reading all the posts basically likening poor people to animals,it really goes to show how far society has degraded and how short sighted people have become.....

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD Awesome post. To add, for food benefits, it is only FOOD, grocery store food. You cannot even buy a roll of toilet paper with it. I think a lot of people do not get that. Cash benefits are difficult to get, most states have a 4 yr year limit and it is not a lot.

I once sat through the class for cash benefits when I was unemployed with a toddler. Class takes 2 hours. Then you are told something like "If you agree to take any job, anywhere in 20 mi for any amount we will give you about $120 a month".

I don;t know about rental assistance, the section 8 kind, I put myself on a list 8 years ago.

edit on 21-7-2015 by reldra because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I hope this gets a few Moderator applauses because my star and flag are not enough.

Well said ChiefD, buddy.

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I have an employee being paid $2113.00 every 2 weeks. She rejected our group helth benefits because she has medicaid for her and her 14 year old daughter. She receives food stamp assistance as well. She takes home $4300 a month. How does she qualify for my tax dollars toward Medicaid and food stamps? She just bought a 2015 Honda something brand new.

What would I need to pay her for her not to qualify for taxpaid assistance?

Throughput the year she also makes another minimum $1500 on top of her salary for bonuses and profit share.

She is poor.?

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I bash the system. People who live on benefits because at some point they accept that it's simply easier to live on that treadmill that it is to get out and work for their living. If they know how to get all they are told they are "entitled" to, they can get enough to put themselves on par in terms of benefits to a family of four with an income of $65,000 in Connecticut and end up with more disposable income. That's not a lie; the numbers are out there.

Now, at that point, they have to jump through a lot of hoops, you are correct, and if they miss any one of them, they lose a substantial dollar amount in benefits. At that point, it becomes a losing proposition to actually go out and get that job because the system itself IS NOT DESIGNED to ease people off. It does not benefit the system of the bureaucrats to help people actually get off the system and empower themselves. Now people dependent on the system means no reason for the system, its big budget and the big bonuses/salaries/pensions the top bureaucrats get.

Not long ago, there was scandal here in Missouri when it was discovered that the SNAP program had signed up many people fraudulently. It wasn't the fault of the people who were singed up; rather, it was the fault of the system. The people who worked at SNAP were doing anything and everything they could to get anyone and everyone they could signed up for the benefits they were "entitled" to. They did it to earn incentive bonuses, and when it was discovered that they had signed people up wrongly, none of them had to pay back their bonuses, but any of the recipients they could find were billed for the amount of benefits received ... even though they had done nothing wrong and had been deceived. Oh, and none of the bureaucrats were fired, either.

And as for illegals not receiving benefits? That's simply not true. It depends on where you live. In Kansas, they can't receive benefits directly, that is true, but if they have children who were born here, the state will hand those children benefits and the illegal parents and siblings then benefit from those. Additionally, if the children have illegal parents, the state will not count any of the parents' income against the benefits the children receive, so the kids get the best of both worlds which translates to the family getting the best of both worlds - They get the full amounts of benefits they can because they have no income to count in the calculation and their parents can make all they want without damaging what the kids will bring in. About the only way their benefits are curtailed is by how many legal people the family has to put in the system.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hi everyone. I decided to post this thread after seeing a number of threads bashing and slamming those receiving food stamps, Medicaid, and child care subsidies.

I imagine more than a few of you are receiving benefits of this sort. I work at my county human services department, in economic support. I see people come in on a daily basis to apply for benefits, so I have insight on how it works.

I want to clear up some misconceptions. First, if a person is undocumented, they cannot receive food stamps, Medicaid, or child care. I have seen several posts by people saying they can. That is not true. Second, these benefits are not handed out like candy. People are required to turn in many verifications, and they have a narrow timeframe in which to turn them in.

If they turn in the verifications in a timely manner, and they are within the income/ household composition criteria, they will receive benefits. Every six months, they must re verify their situation and turn in more verifications in order to keep their benefits. If they do not, their benefits will end. For food stamps, you get a card. You use it like a debit card. You cannot buy alcohol or cigarettes with an EBT card.

One cannot simply stroll in, say they have 19 kids, and we hand them cash. It doesn't work that way. The process can seem humiliating, and that is because the few bad apples that commit fraud ruin it and make it all the harder for everyone.

I see people from all walks of life come into my office. Guess what? They are people, not animals. They have hopes and dreams. They have good and bad in their life, like the rest of us. The great majority are good people in a bad way, either by a couple of poor decisions or life circumstances. Of course, we only hear the horror stories in the news because if it bleeds, it leads.

I'm pissed and tired of hearing all this bashing of people because they are poor! If I had a dollar for everyone who told me they were ashamed to even be there, I would have been able to retire long ago to a beach in Tahiti.

I wish everyone would have more compassion for poor people. I remember something one of my former bosses said to me shortly before I started working at human services - most of us are 2-3 pay checks away from being on the other side of my counter, applying for benefits. Most us us would be well to heed that.

I hope my thread educates those who read it.
Odd you didn't really say how this all works. You only told us how it doesn't, according to your understanding.

Why don't you tell us how it does work, as you promised? Also tell us what those "undocumented workers" are entitled to if it's not medicaid, SNAP, etc?

+10 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I have an employee being paid $2113.00 every 2 weeks. She rejected our group helth benefits because she has medicaid for her and her 14 year old daughter. She receives food stamp assistance as well. She takes home $4300 a month. How does she qualify for my tax dollars toward Medicaid and food stamps? She just bought a 2015 Honda something brand new.

Throughput the year she also makes another minimum $1500 on top of her salary for bonuses and profit share.

She is poor.?

First of all, why are you all in her business. Second of all, there is an income threshold in every county for food stamps and medicaid. If where you live is particularly expensive and her rent or mortgage takes all of her money, that MIGHT be possible. Do you want her homeless?
Her vehicle is not counted. Do you want the county to take it so she can't get to work? Is it new? Did someone give it to her? Do you know any of this?

Typical response from someone who vilifies the poor. You assume they are using the system.

Maybe in this 1 case they are. that is ANECDOTAL information. Do you know what anecdotal is?

Does she work for your company? Do you own it? I really want to know. I want to be in your business and know how you know all of this. Please tell me. I am all ears.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Thank you for the REALITY check:

link   
a reply to: Bilk22 The OP explained it perfectly.

link   
a reply to: reldra

Wisconsin's cash benefits program is called Wisconsin Works, or W2. We don't administer that program, rather it's contracted out. There is a huge amount of paperwork with that program. Like you said, there are a lot of hoops to jump through. The maximum benefit for Wisconsin is around $600/month. There is a four year limit to receiving those benefits.

I don't know much about the housing, but I know in my county, the waiting list is several years.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Its hard to be poor by yourself.

Its easier to be poor with a beneficiary.

I have overheard women at work talk about pushing out another child purposefully to increase their benefits. I clenched my fists and walked away, teeth grinding. Is that how it works?

edit on 21-7-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

She is poor.?

Can I come work for you?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I don't understand your post. I explained it just fine.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   

You can also buy things like fruit and vegetable seeds onion sets and plants. I believe this aspect of the program is under utilized. Perhaps some basic gardening instructions could be added to maximize the potential help.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

Wisconsin's cash benefits program is called Wisconsin Works, or W2. We don't administer that program, rather it's contracted out. There is a huge amount of paperwork with that program. Like you said, there are a lot of hoops to jump through. The maximum benefit for Wisconsin is around $600/month. There is a four year limit to receiving those benefits.

I don't know much about the housing, but I know in my county, the waiting list is several years.

You are right. I was quoting a cash benefit w/1 child from 1998. Lots of people have more than 1 child. That is reasonable in this economy. Yes, I know hoops. I thank god for people like you.

posted on Jul, 21 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

She didn't state either way. But if it makes you happy, we will drown them all in a hole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join