It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How food stamps/Medicaid/child care subsidies work

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Thank u for ur post.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
a reply to: ChiefD

What confuses me is that Welfare benefits strike such a vitriolic chord with some conservative minded budget hawks...with complaints of "my tax dollars"...whilst

About $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.

thinkbynumbers.org...

Where Is The Outrage Over Corporate Welfare?
www.forbes.com...

Honestly if we are going to do the math...TANF and SNAP are known to economists as the most direct route to stimulating local economies...that money is immediately spent in liquid ways locally spurring jobs and commerce, not saved or exotically invested. Corporate welfare?..that money can go anyplace and often does, hiring over-seas workers etc.

Benefits are money that is actually spent, in the usual use of the term.

"Spending" on subsidies is not money "spent." It is money not taken.

The totals you see regarding what some call "corporate welfare" are based on businesses conducting the exact same operations without subsidy.

That's a fantasy for most subsidy-type programs, which are instigated to get businesses to conduct the sort of business the government thinks is needed.

IOW, with or without subsidies, the government would "spend" the same amount.

Harte

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Since I cannot reply to the U2U's, I will publicly thank the three Mods who gave me applause! Thanks much, what a pleasant surprise! It's nice to be recognized. Much appreciated.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
No sure. I do know that I see folks using EBT cards at walmart buying more high quality foods than I can afford on my weakly paycheck.

originally posted by: Ultralight
a reply to: guitarplayer

Does Kansas have CRV fee? And if so, do those on aid have to pay it?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Its hard to be poor by yourself.

Its easier to be poor with a beneficiary.

I have overheard women at work talk about pushing out another child purposefully to increase their benefits. I clenched my fists and walked away, teeth grinding. Is that how it works?

Not generally I would think. Gotta to be the rare exception. Cause when you think about it, having a kid is pretty pricey. Cost of delivery, child care. Most would consider the added benefit, not cost effective. Now don’t get me wrong, I, like you, think the probability of something like this happening is strong. If it’s the prevailing one?, I’m pretty sure it’s not.

I got to tell you the OP is right on this one. Getting into the system is a bitch. And the benefits are so meager that the ones getting benefits, truly need them. The nature of the benefits has limited attraction for the scam.

I’m sure there’s a lot of hard working women out there who realize that without these benefits life is going to get more difficult.

The difficulty, it seems, is in accepting that the need for this kind of assistance, in order to achieve the basic necessities of life, is real. It is not difficult to see however, that the current capitalistic system of enterprise is having trouble fulfilling these needs, and this failure is not something from which we should be distracted.

The real fraud is committed every day, and it’s for billions. And those billions are spread across a small number. While food assistance? A lot of people getting tiny dollars.

And let’s not forget economically wise, the subsidies to the agricultural industries. along with the fact that all these dollars are going to the food produces. Just as a funny side note here, ha, ha, you think you heard about job creators?, wait till you meet the food producers,.

Well anyway. Don’t get distracted. This ain’t an argument about lazy unfit people. It’s about who gets to eat.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: eisegesis
Its hard to be poor by yourself.

Its easier to be poor with a beneficiary.

I have overheard women at work talk about pushing out another child purposefully to increase their benefits. I clenched my fists and walked away, teeth grinding. Is that how it works?

Yeah right, i bet you have. There may be women who have done this but I highly doubt they go around talking about it and you say you've heard "multiple" women in one workplace talking like this. I bet you just assume that every time a poor person has a child...there goes another welfare case, right? They had a couple more children so they could scam the system...God forbid poor people have children. See, I know a couple of sick people like you that believe this way. Liberal elites who believe poor people should have aborted those last couple of children rather than have another welfare case.

You see, I'm one of those people who had it great and suddenly got hit with a dose of reality, that I was only one check away from being on the other side of that counter. I've always provided for my wife and I and we were in the upper half of society and then I made a bad business decision that sank us. This was nearly four years ago and I am finally working my way out of the mess and we're doing pretty good again, but during that time, being poor and on benefits really woke me up to the way the other half lives. I've voted republican my entire life...and now I've been considering a change, and for two reasons, one of which has to do with environmental issues, but the other is because of the way the rich treat the poor and I've watched the past few years the divide grow between rich and poor. My wife and I have four children, several of them in the past four years during our poorness, and never once did a thought like that cross our minds about how we could get more benefits if we have another child, and I highly doubt that other poor people are thinking like that as well. It's called love for each other, for family and for those children, and I would assume it's the same for rich people, right? Or are only rich people capable of that sense of family.

I'm actually thankful that I experienced failure and got to see what it was like to be really poor, I mean dirt poor, wondering where your next meal would come from...because it's changed me and before that I was an arrogant ass hole with no consideration for poor people. Now I have compassion for the poor and I can totally relate and I know how easy one simple mistake in life can take you down a completely unfamiliar road. And if it weren't for those benefits we received, I can't even imagine where we could have ended up. So I know now there are people who truly need help while I recognize there are people who scam the system, I believe wholeheartedly that they are a very small percentage and most people are simply unfortunate...and deserve some compassion. Please don't go around thinking that poor people don't deserve to have a family because they have a more difficult time taking care of them, there isn't anyone who can live a decent life on $10 an hour, but that's what is expected. It's a #ty system, but such is the way of our country today and it's only getting worse.

Sorry for the long rant. This is something I've never talked about on here but I took the comment personal because my wife and I actually had a friend of 15 years make a comment to us once after we had our third child (during our poor years) to the effect that we only had the child so we could get more welfare benefits. Unreal!

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The point you make is valid. Most of us could easily end up in the same place, I agree. Having worked as a nurse, and doing many home visits to patients receiving benefits and medicaid I would also like to add that many of these folks have poor spending habits. Certainly, not everyone, but I do not exaggerate when I say many. I would say that everyone I visited had a much bigger, newer television set then I do. Most had more electronic gadgets then I do as well. Many use their food stamps to buy almost exclusively processed foods that are much more expensive. I think many would benefit from learning good spending habits and how to stretch the money that they have. I suspect these habits are learned.Those spending habits may be one factor that makes them fit into the "poor" category.

Also, I would like to bring attention to the quote "guess what, they are people not animals". You make it sound like animals deserve less respect than people do. Animals take only what they need and are not prone to destroying the planet in their quest for more. If they kill, they do it out of necessity. I think it is time that we as humans begin learning from the animal kingdom rather than assuming we are superior to them.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: guitarplayer
No sure. I do know that I see folks using EBT cards at walmart buying more high quality foods than I can afford on my weakly paycheck.

I don't believe you. You gonna try to convince me you walk right up to the card reader and look and see them swipe a card then punch ebt. food. and make there purchase??? Your bs would have been more convincing if you would have said a convenient store but all of us goto walmart and there check outs are designed to keep some separation between the customers. From the beginning of the conveyor to the card reader is what 6-10 feet??? Yet you claim to know what card and what method of purchase the customer in front of you is using????

The op showed clearly how the system works in his/her state, this is very similar to other states, yet the thread is filled with those educated in the welfare system by right wing media, never mind facts, never mind all state welfare has there own websites where qualifications are clearly presented, just keep on pushing the propaganda.

I remember when the right claimed to be moral, well we will know them by there fruits and I see no morality anymore with these people. You all itch more than a bunch of old ladies at bingo when it comes to the poor. Seriously you all need Jesus in your life, and not the god your currently serving.
edit on 22-7-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Rezlooper, my fellow cheesehead, thanks for your awesome post! It's spot on! It took courage for you to share that, and I'm grateful that you shared your story.

I'd give you 50 stars for that if I could. I hope you get Applause for that post.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

originally posted by: guitarplayer

I don't believe you. You gonna try to convince me you walk right up to the card reader and look and see them swipe a card then punch ebt. food. and make there purchase??? Your bs would have been more convincing if you would have said a convenient store but all of us goto walmart and there check outs are designed to keep some separation between the customers. From the beginning of the conveyor to the card reader is what 6-10 feet??? Yet you claim to know what card and what method of purchase the customer in front of you is using????

I've seen EBT cards being used in all kinds of grocers, including walmart.

You're not very perceptive, are you?

Depending on your state, most EBT cards are quite recognizable. link

originally posted by: LDragonFireThe op showed clearly how the system works in his/her state, this is very similar to other states, yet the thread is filled with those educated in the welfare system by right wing media, never mind facts, never mind all state welfare has there own websites where qualifications are clearly presented, just keep on pushing the propaganda.

And laws prevent crime, as we all know. Right?

originally posted by: LDragonFireI remember when the right claimed to be moral, well we will know them by there fruits and I see no morality anymore with these people. You all itch more than a bunch of old ladies at bingo when it comes to the poor. Seriously you all need Jesus in your life, and not the god your currently serving.

You are far out of the realm of reality here. Government itself estimates about 7% fraud.

I can guarantee you it's at least twice that.

Not to mention the argument made in an earlier post regarding purchase habits.

If a thief robs a bank, it is now apparently "immoral" to find ways of keeping the bank from being robbed again.

Harte

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   
OP, I'm glad you came forward to explain to us how it works, however, unfortunately, there are couple flaws:

You explain how it works in your county. Yes, I'm sure most counties have similar protocols, but they are all not the same.
You explain how it's SUPPOSED to work, you don't account for the volume of abuse and other, criminal, exploitations. Several members have already given you examples.

I have never worked in social services, however my mother works for her county's child support division, some of the stories she has told me would shock you. For some reason though, this one sticks out the most and I use it frequently, maybe they have closed the loophole since then, I don't know, but it used to be a big problem:

Woman A has say 4 kids. Through whatever reason, she gets laid up, can't work, father abandoned her, pregnancies were unplanned whatever they come up with, she will claim say 2 of her kids for benefits, housing, food stamps, welfare, whatever. In our county, if I remember correctly, benefits are allowed for 4 years. So what she does is apply to welfare for the maximum amount, let's just use 2 as an example, she uses those benefits for the 4 years, now what is she to do? She claims the other 2 kids for another 4 years of benefits. Basically, manipulating the system on the basis that KIDS are eligible, not just their guardians. Again, this has been nigh on ten years since my mother has told me this, but they are still exploits. It's a lot less work figuring out ways to game the system for benefits than actually getting your ass up and working, that is why you hear about all this oppression and racism. They are trying to either justify to themselves or society why they don't work. Entitlement and race baiting go hand in hand.

You also don't take into account the attitudes of our government leadership. What interest does the Mexican Embassy in the US have to hand out information to Immigrants to America about our benefit? NONE, that should be the burden of the United States, to inform people who LEGALLY reside here what assistance they are eligible for. I don't know if you remember hearing a few years ago that our Department of Agriculture was purposefully trying to increase Hispanic enrollment in SNAP. Every government agency is crying that they don't have enough money, and USDA wants to INCREASE it's burden? That is a result of government 'leadership' that for one reason or another want to sap this country dry and 'punish' it.

You're right, illegal immigrants aren't eligible for SNAP, but government regulations that allow obvious anchor babies to be American citizens coupled with over the top anti-discrimination laws and entitlement minded politicians who allow illegal immigrants to strut into the welfare office and sign their now legal child up for their 'rightful entitlements' are what we are angry about. And identity theft.

I'll get off my soap box because I actually have work in an hour (followed by studying for a test tomorrow) and want to make something of myself. I know I haven't covered every aspect, but this is the one that sticks out to me the most.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Wow, a lot of assumptions there. I'm not one to exaggerate. I never said multiple, I said women. A group of women were discussing the idea and one prominently spoke about her successes at bilking the system.

I bet you just assume that every time a poor person has a child...there goes another welfare case, right?

That's an easy one. No, I don't.

God forbid poor people have children.

We'll agree to disagree about that statement. You seem pretty wound up and irrefutable.

See, I know a couple of sick people like you that believe this way.

I'm not sick, so right there your statement is false. In your mind it's true.

Liberal elites who believe poor people should have aborted those last couple of children rather than have another welfare case.

I am against abortion, but I don't think poor people should have children. Sex is free and they use it to feel better.

Accidentally getting pregnant and planning ahead, making sure you can afford the time, energy and monetary responsibilities for a child are two different things.

Seriously, why would you bring a child into this world if you couldn't support it yourself?

You see, I'm one of those people who had it great and suddenly got hit with a dose of reality, that I was only one check away from being on the other side of that counter.

Good for you. Your personal experience has trickled into what should have remained an unbiased post. Why attack me?

My wife and I have four children, several of them in the past four years during our poorness, and never once did a thought like that cross our minds about how we could get more benefits if we have another child, and I highly doubt that other poor people are thinking like that as well.

Good because based on your posting history (all I have to go on), you don't sound like or even compare to the people I overheard that day. I disagree with the last part though and I refuse to entertain the rest of that paragraph. The inner city counter culture is capable of doing amazing things when they are eligible to cast a vote.

Please don't go around thinking that poor people don't deserve to have a family because they have a more difficult time taking care of them, there isn't anyone who can live a decent life on $10 an hour, but that's what is expected. It's a #ty system, but such is the way of our country today and it's only getting worse.

For your sake, I don't. Relax and understand that exploitation comes in many forms, whether it be the elitist or the poor beggar looking for a handout.

I'm sorry if I offended you, but don't scatter eggshells around your immediate area when looking to have a discussion.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

I'm feeling a little incredulous that you felt you had to pick apart just every part of Rezlooper's wonderful post.

I understand you have strong opinions, but I think it was a bit tacky of you to do this.

Your quote ....." but I don't think poor people should have children. Sex is free and they use it to feel better.
Accidentally getting pregnant and planning ahead, making sure you can afford the time, energy and monetary responsibilities for a child are two different things....."

So when my Mom and Dad were poor and they got a little surprise (me, no I wasn't planned!), they had no right to do that? Because I turned out pretty good. I find your statement pretty eletist there.

But I bet you're perfect huh? That we could all be as good as you. (sarcasm)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

I've seen EBT cards being used in all kinds of grocers, including walmart.

You're not very perceptive, are you?

I'm very, but when in public making purchases I tend to concentrate oh my items and my money and not on the person in from of me. I will concede I have poor vision but the ebt cards in my state match the color scheme of my out of state bank card almost exactly. Plus the card readers when you swipe your card the magnetic strip will be facing the next person in line, so if you see them swipe there card your not seeing the front of the card. Plus the only time I hear about someone using a ebt card is from a right wing poster over and over again, same story i saw them use a ebt card buying better stuff than what I was getting and so on.

Depending on your state, most EBT cards are quite recognizable. link

In my state of Arkansas the ebt cards have a landscape on the ebt cards, there are a few other ebt cards at this link
arkans as ebt cards

You are far out of the realm of reality here. Government itself estimates about 7% fraud.

I can guarantee you it's at least twice that.

Not to mention the argument made in an earlier post regarding purchase habits.

If a thief robs a bank, it is now apparently "immoral" to find ways of keeping the bank from being robbed again.

Harte

No more out of touch than the average fox news viewer. You can assume its twice that, right? Have you applied for ebt, Have you used ebt? If not then how would you know, other than being told? I do think there is some fraud but its not widespread.

My main issue is, I know the right hates social security, food stamps and the poor, from your actions, so I would rather see them stay out of it, not lie and demand reform when you wanna get rid of it.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: eisegesis

I'm feeling a little incredulous that you felt you had to pick apart just every part of Rezlooper's wonderful post.

I understand you have strong opinions, but I think it was a bit tacky of you to do this.

Your quote ....." but I don't think poor people should have children. Sex is free and they use it to feel better.
Accidentally getting pregnant and planning ahead, making sure you can afford the time, energy and monetary responsibilities for a child are two different things....."

So when my Mom and Dad were poor and they got a little surprise (me, no I wasn't planned!), they had no right to do that? Because I turned out pretty good. I find your statement pretty eletist there.

Her quote there that you paraphrase proves my point, chief, another liberal elitist looking down her nose at the lesser people out there. She doesn't believe in abortion but believes poor people have no right to bear children, lol.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Here, let me do the same...

If you think its wonderful, I'll have a hard time convincing you that I initially was picked apart and accused of thinking in ways only close friends and family could comprehend.

See, these are the types of debates and discussions I don't like taking part in. Cheap shots without a ground to stand on. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to ignore it.

You seem like a one eye open type of person. Yes, sex is a form of enjoyment and makes people feel good. Sometimes when you're poor, its all you've got left. It turns as habitual as a morning smoke.

If your can't afford a condom, you get what you deserve. Your child on the other hand might not deserve what he gets. Its not elitist, its reality. Children don't deserve being born into a poor and broken home no matter how bad you're in love or want one.

Its selfish to think, accidental pregnancies are justified and there should be systems designed to protect the well being of the child when the ones who created it can't. I will reserve this as my opinion though and am not trying to convince you of anything.

Well, I appreciated your insight and previous post thanking others for their opposing views until you had to gang up and fire one out. You're right, I am better than this. Peace out...

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: Bilk22

I don't understand your post. I explained it just fine.

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

That is not the Ops position. That is realities position. Undocumented immigrants are not able to receive welfare, food stamps or Medicaid. Even after receiving citizenship they have to wait 5 years for most benefits.

What are you claiming?
What I am claiming is illegals walk into hospitals/ERs and schools for starters. Who pays for that? Is that not publicly funded? What do you think public assistance is? However it doesn't end there and if that's what you believe, you're very naive.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

Her quote there that you paraphrase proves my point, chief, another liberal elitist looking down her nose at the lesser people out there. She doesn't believe in abortion but believes poor people have no right to bear children, lol.

We were poor and on EBT at one point, too Rez. I'd sooner clock her at the insinuation that my kids --who were conceived and born during excellent income times for us -- shouldn't exist than accept her opinion about it. Sh&^ happens, Eise, you have no control over it. We lived in a great, prosperous burb in a metro area that went bust when the Big Collapse went rolling through. Would you insinuate that we should have made like psychics & seen jobs poof before they did, should have seen hubby's hours & subsequently, his job, poof & thus shouldn't have had our kids? Oh Bite. Me. No one is that psychic. Anyone's great multi-year or multi-decade job & the security it provides can evaporate over night. Get a damn clue.

I don't agree with Rez on much, but your comments are asinine and without consideration for individual circumstances. Knock off the broad brush bullchit.
edit on 7/22/2015 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
My reply will be in two parts :-)
Part one:
Thankyou for creating this thread, it is an issue that even highly educated people are manipulated by via social programming. I don't live in America so cannot offer an opinion on the welfare system there, however in my country of New Zealand there is the same overall hate for beneficiaries that is almost violent in its vehemency. I have been on the solo parents benefit for eight years now since I had my baby, no I haven't been on the benefit for eight years straight I worked low paying jobs without the benefit through some of those years, such as paper runs and fast food. The problem is that if you made the wrong decisions when leaving school, like I did, it makes it so much harder to raise your position in the tier of society. In fact, even if you make all the right decisions and find yourself in the middle class there is no guarantee that you will be able to enjoy the benefits that, promised by social programming, come from making it out of the lower class.
There are people who came from good homes, made all the right decisions, went to university and got fancy degrees, married the right guy/girl, and although their middle class lifestyle seems peachy keen to the untrained eye, to someone who has been an observer her whole lower class life the cracks are starting to show. Because the cost of living is rising, basics like electricity and rent/mortgage is out of the ball park and home ownership is getting more and more out of reach for the average NZ'r.
Now our esteemed politicians and the all wise television would love the middle and upper class, the workers, to blame the "lazy scum that refuse to get a job" as the root of all the problems with the world. I mean we've all heard the stories of the single mother who was over paid one day and took off overseas, or the mountains of people who work the system so that they can just sit around playing video games while the tax payer toils day and night, the lady who pumps out kid after kid to stay on the benefit.... Where are all these people at because in my 29 years, I have never met one, not one of these people. I have met struggling single mums. I have met struggling older people who can't get a job despite their credentials. I have met young people trapped in a cycle of poverty because you know what, life is tough when both your parents are drug addicts and/or in the gangs and nobody will hire you because you don't have a car and you can't afford a nice outfit for interviews or you can't articulate your words very well, or any number of reasons outside of your control. And these kids have talent, dang, the way they pour their heart and soul into music or art or whatever they clutch at to get them through the tough times is phenomenal! But we can't all be Eminem and Tupac. We can't all be famous singers and Picasso's. Society doesn't want talent, it wants everyone to work and the workers entertainment must come from sources within the control grid, plastic entertainment..... I digress.
My point is, people tend to paint beneficiaries with the same broad brush without giving a damn about individuals and individual needs. The reason I am in and out of fast food jobs is because they are the only companies that will hire me but I am not suited for the job. I don't handle confrontation well, if someone is yelling and swearing at me because the frozen coke machine is broken I can't stay calm, if there is a line of twenty or more people waiting to order and a bunch of others waiting to get their food and its been ten minutes and there are not enough staff on... I can't handle, I am not fast on my feet, I am not able to make 10 cheese burgers in under 3 minutes no matter how much practice I've had and I can't handle being yelled at and spoken to like I am stupid by managers ten years younger than me!
But I can draw. I am a fast learner, especially with computers and theory, I am creative, both in thinking and artistically. I have both an analytical and artistic mind and I am worth so much more than just scrapping by $150pw to $150pw. I just need to find my niche.

posted on Jul, 23 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: berheal

Part 2:But this is all just my opinion and perception right, what are the facts? Well a little research shows that back in 2000, of the total government expenditure 36% was spent on beneficiaries but 52% of that 36% was on super (retired persons benefit), which is fair enough. If the government wants most of us to live trapped in a cycle of debt so that the few can prosper, then we deserve a little back when we are too old to work, right?
So fifteen years ago the NZ taxpayer was grumbling about beneficiary expenditure when in reality most of that expenditure was going to our grandma's and granddad's to supplement whatever meagre savings they had managed to hold on to. But what about today? Much has changed in the last few years, especially government spending. Let's have a look at some more numbers;

"At the end of June 2015:

285,349 working age people were receiving a main benefit.
Ten percent of the working-age population of New Zealand were receiving a main benefit."

So only ten percent of NZ's working age population receives a main benefit... So your tax payer dollars is helping to support only ten percent of 16-65 year olds? What a travesty!

Now 62.916 million is being spent on Domestic Purposes benefit (so single mothers). Now you all want us to get off our asses, and put our babies into daycare so someone else can raise them, work a couple of low paying high stress jobs that barely pay the bills, all so you can feel better about having to pay taxes. So the government has allocated to this cause, 226.604 million. Just to get us into work. And it is mostly single mothers this is targeting as something like 76% of beneficiaries are female and you can bet your bottom dollar most of those females are mothers.
Now this may seem like a lot but consider that 10, 902.665 is being paid out for Superannuation, that's just under 50% of the total social welfare expenditure, and its clear that the bigger portion of your tax is actually going where it should be going.

Now despite the statistics the, strange, belief that beneficiaries are somehow scam artists rolling in dough and worse that those who make up the lowest tier of our society somehow are given the same opportunities for advancement that the wealthy do, persists. A paper written by Alan Johnson, social policy analyst, presented to the University of Otago, illustrates perfectly the current income situation here in New Zealand ( www.google.co.nz...://www.salvationarmy.org.nz/sites/default/files/uploads/20150211SPPUspeechAlanJohnsonRecent %2520wealth%2520and%2520income%2520trends%2520in%2520NZ.pdf&ved=0CB0QFjABahUKEwjSz73YoPDGAhWk6KYKHRqxDro&usg=AFQjCNHs_QUL2ELbSsERJetSGyyB7Vo1iQ&sig2=9 PS_Izg4yjmq76_hQmlETQ)
It is clear that despite the advances in the economy that the National party boasts about, things are getting harder for the average NZ family. A whopping 50% of NZ'rs are ranging below the poverty line to low income, 40% are middle income earners (a precarious position in today's climate) and only 10% of NZ'rs are finding their already privileged financial position benefiting from the improving economy. I expect this is similar in many OECD countries. A rising tide may lift the boat, but a leaky boat will sink faster with a rising tide and its the rats in the hull who drown first. Catch my drift?
In closing, I think it is important to remember what another poster has already pointed out; that it is so easy to judge a person slouching in the breadline according to our preconceived stereotypes manufactured by a media with an agenda, but just remember how quick you were to pigeon hole the poor when your world comes crashing down one day at the whim of the stock markets or a boss or the banks or any number of scenarios that could cause you to be the one in the welfare offices begging for help, wondering how you are going to pay the rent or having to choose between feeding your kids wholesome food that week and risk disconnection or pay the power bill at the expense of your groceries, you would have to endure the dehumanizing experience of jumping through hoops to have your government help you out and still may not get what you need… You would hope that someone somewhere on high would deign to look at you and your circumstances without judgement and help you out maybe, but that possibly won't happen because it is survival of the fittest and damned be the weak, right, the ones that couldn't cut it? After all the weak are weak because they choose to be, right?
Yeah, I thought so.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join