It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How food stamps/Medicaid/child care subsidies work

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: ketsuko

Lol it's a fox article and a meme from one of the Koch brothers...

It's guaranteed BS.

I didn't know the Department of Agriculture was a Koch brothers subsidiary.

Harte

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

I agree, the map is not entirely accurate. In Washington State the minimum wage is $9.47 per hour. Single people on disability earn around $710 a month, and around $120 in food stamps. Assuming a 40 hour work week, this nets $5.19 per hour. This is for someone who qualifies as disabled and unable to work. It is also for a family of one.

There are ways the data could be interpreted differently. For example, if someone has a large family, they will receive a larger amount in food stamps and disability payments. Medical coverage could be included, and I don't know how that works. I could see how someone could make a case for a person earning more than minimum wage if they have dependents.

The question is, so what? Shouldn't someone who is disabled or a veteran earn enough to live moderately comfortably? This map is obviously talking about those earning the most. Someone simply on food stamps is not going to earn more than minimum wage, and someone who is not disabled is going to have a hard time finding a source of income off the government besides food stamps.
edit on 22amWed, 22 Jul 2015 10:32:51 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ektar
Do those states that pay top dollar welfare also pay
top dollar for disabled people? & Vets?

Cheers
Ektar

Veterans benefits and disabled benefits are considered welfare, and since those pay the most, that is probably what the creators of the map used to show that welfare recipients earn more than minimum wage.

You can read more about the only other realistic assistance program, TANF, here.

TANF PDF Document
edit on 22amWed, 22 Jul 2015 10:42:41 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

Someone on that in Washington State would only earn a MAXIMUM of $478 a month. This is not disability - this is based on income and assets. The combined TANF and SNAP benefits for someone in Washington state would be around $600 a month, or $3.75 an hour - far below the minimum wage of $9.47

edit on 22amWed, 22 Jul 2015 10:43:13 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: ChiefD

Thanks for clearing up those misconceptions. I have seen others on here as well, for example, you cannot withdraw cash from your EBT card.

Not legally, but it happens all the time all over the country anyway.

Harte

I don't see how it is physically possible for that to happen. The computers are all hard wired to only accept SNAP for certain foods only. You cannot get cash from a SNAP account because it is not physically possible.

You would have to buy someone else food using your SNAP card and then have them pay you cash for it, and this is explicitly stated to be illegal in the pamphlets they give out.
edit on 22amWed, 22 Jul 2015 10:46:29 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Best post I have read in this website

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ultralight

I have an employee being paid $2113.00 every 2 weeks. She rejected our group helth benefits because she has medicaid for her and her 14 year old daughter. She receives food stamp assistance as well. She takes home $4300 a month. How does she qualify for my tax dollars toward Medicaid and food stamps? She just bought a 2015 Honda something brand new.

What would I need to pay her for her not to qualify for taxpaid assistance?

Throughput the year she also makes another minimum $1500 on top of her salary for bonuses and profit share.

She is poor.?

She makes twice what I do and I dont qualify for anything as a single dad.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Thanks for clearing up those misconceptions. I have seen others on here as well, for example, you cannot withdraw cash from your EBT card.

Not legally, but it happens all the time all over the country anyway.

Harte

I don't see how it is physically possible for that to happen. The computers are all hard wired to only accept SNAP for certain foods only. You cannot get cash from a SNAP account because it is not physically possible.

You would have to buy someone else food using your SNAP card and then have them pay you cash for it, and this is explicitly stated to be illegal in the pamphlets they give out.

"Specifically stated as illegal."

And this stops it how?

Many stores are caught red handed every month paying out cash for EBT credits.

They are the easiest to catch.

If you want cash for EBT, the safest way is to shop with someone that will pay you cash while you buy their groceries with your EBT card.

Virtually impossible to catch.

Harte

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bilk22

originally posted by: ChiefD
a reply to: Bilk22

I don't understand your post. I explained it just fine.

So you're stating in your OP that "Undocumented"/illegal aliens don't receive any public assistance? That's your position?

That is not the Ops position. That is realities position. Undocumented immigrants are not able to receive welfare, food stamps or Medicaid. Even after receiving citizenship they have to wait 5 years for most benefits.

What are you claiming?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I have an employee being paid $2113.00 every 2 weeks. She rejected our group helth benefits because she has medicaid for her and her 14 year old daughter. She receives food stamp assistance as well. She takes home $4300 a month. How does she qualify for my tax dollars toward Medicaid and food stamps? She just bought a 2015 Honda something brand new.

Throughput the year she also makes another minimum $1500 on top of her salary for bonuses and profit share.

She is poor.?

First of all, why are you all in her business. Second of all, there is an income threshold in every county for food stamps and medicaid. If where you live is particularly expensive and her rent or mortgage takes all of her money, that MIGHT be possible. Do you want her homeless?
Her vehicle is not counted. Do you want the county to take it so she can't get to work? Is it new? Did someone give it to her? Do you know any of this?

Typical response from someone who vilifies the poor. You assume they are using the system.

Maybe in this 1 case they are. that is ANECDOTAL information. Do you know what anecdotal is?

Does she work for your company? Do you own it? I really want to know. I want to be in your business and know how you know all of this. Please tell me. I am all ears.

Why so hostile? It was a valid question.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   
For all the naysayers,

Of course, this study doesn’t take into account that not everyone on public assistance receives all of the programs. But if they did, their payout would be significantly higher than even a starting teacher’s salary in 11 states or a computer programmer in 3 states.

To simplify, not everyone on welfare receives more than minimum wage. They have the potential to IF they take advantage or qualify for all the programs. Many who rely on the system are quite cunning and know how to get accepted. If only they used that energy towards bettering themselves.

The graph was to make a point, not a dissertation. What it represents is that in those states, where there's a will, there is a legal way for to rake in as much, if not more money than starting pay for the average teacher or computer programer. (their words, not mine).

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Ketsuko, yes, if someone is undocumented and their children are born in the U.S., then the children can get benefits. They are usually the poorest of the poor. They do count the parents income. Many are working more than one job. They are mistreated by their employers and take the dirty work most of us would look down on. So I hardly think they have it made in the shade. They are also some of the nicest people I see. They are polite, and despite their bleak lot in life are almost always smiling.

Isn't this just another example of anecdotal evidence?

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ladyvalkyrie

Excellent post, spot on, wish I could give you 50 stars!

Yes, unfortunately for the few that fraud or game the system, they are the ones that are giving a bad name to the millions of people who are not doing anything wrong.

Believe me, I have reported people for fraud more than once. I don't take kindly to people who commit fraud. They wreck it for everyone else.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Ultralight

You know, a I seldom agree with anything you say, but I respect you much.

I hope you reported your employee for fraud. She is one of the people who ruin it for everyone else.

You sound like a wonderful, generous employer to work for. Wish there were more employers like you. Maybe there wouldn't be so many on benefits.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

Thank you for your awesome posts and links. Much appreciated.

Glad you pointed out the misconception about being to use an EBT card like an ATM card.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

She is poor.?

Are you paying her under the table? Cuz..with only one child I don't see how she qualifies? You can easily research for yourself, but your numbers do not comport with your story. They do verify via IRS docs and it is easy to do so as Employers report income..

BTW 2113* 26 weeks equals 55k per year and 4578 per month, not 4300?

Here are national poverty level guidelines..

familiesusa.org...

Other things to consider are debt. You mentioned her wages were garnished...what is her take home after garnishment and taxes? She might have large outstanding debt, medical bills or something similar.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Thank you all so much for your posts! Good debate. I don't want or expect everyone to agree with me. How boring would this site be if everyone agreed?

Yeah, there are problems within the system. I feel there is a need to hire more economic support workers and staff to ease the crushing caseload. Kind of hard to find fraud when you have over 1300 clients to deal with.

Also, many counties don't have much money in their budget to do fraud investigations. These investigations can get very expensive.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
I hope this gets a few Moderator applauses because my star and flag are not enough.

Well said ChiefD, buddy.

I totally agree! TY for posting this OP. We, for the 1st time in our lives, are on Medicaid due to my husband having a stroke at the age of 38. It wasn't easy. It took a stroke, pneumonia with sepsis, reoccurring cellulitis, in legs/knees, Rocky Mountain spotted fever(he is in the books as the 19th person in NJ to contract RMSF), and a second stroke to finally get Medicaid, as we still have 2 young children. O, yes, he was also in quarentine from being in ICU so long with pneumonia, he developed clinical MRSA. HES NOW ONLY 41 & just spent 2 weeks in & out of the hospital for recent cellulitis, again.....Doc says he shouldn't ever do physical labor again. So now, we are waiting on disability. It's never enough though for 2 growing boys, and my hubs and myself.....So basically, it's not always a free hand out that people want. He's actually embarrassed to be on All this, especially because he's still young, he WANTS to do physical labor, which he has done since the age of 14. Being a lumberjack is his life's blood. It's caused him major depression. Out of respect to him, I won't go into that, but it's bad.....S&F

edit on 7/22/15 by j.r.c.b. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Wow. I wish I was naive enough to believe the govt handouts weren't rife with abuse and fraud. A simple Google search is all it takes to shatter that silly belief. I doubt posting hundreds of examples that you could readily go out and see for yourself will do anything to sway your so very entrenched mindset so I'll just do one.

Keep in mind after reading these mind blowing facts about government assistance programs that they are NOT reducing the poverty levels. At All. More children live in poverty now than in 2008 when Obama took office.

www.zerohedge.com...

We have become a nation that is completely and totally addicted to government money. The following are 18 stats that prove that government dependence has reached epidemic levels…

#1 According to an analysis of U.S. government numbers conducted by Terrence P. Jeffrey, there are 86 million full-time private sector workers in the United States paying taxes to support the government, and nearly 148 million Americans that are receiving benefits from the government each month. How long can such a lopsided system possibly continue?

#2 Ten years ago, the number of women in the U.S. that had jobs outnumbered the number of women in the U.S. on food stamps by more than a 2 to 1 margin. But now the number of women in the U.S. on food stamps actually exceeds the number of women that have jobs.

#3 The U.S. government has spent an astounding 3.7 trillion dollars on welfare programs over the past five years.

#4 Today, the federal government runs about 80 different “means-tested welfare programs”, and almost all of those programs have experienced substantial growth in recent years.

#5 Back in 1960, the ratio of social welfare benefits to salaries and wages was approximately 10 percent. In the year 2000, the ratio of social welfare benefits to salaries and wages was approximately 21 percent. Today, the ratio of social welfare benefits to salaries and wages is approximately 35 percent.

#6 While Barack Obama has been in the White House, the total number of Americans on food stamps has gone from 32 million to nearly 47 million.

#7 Back in the 1970s, about one out of every 50 Americans was on food stamps. Today, about one out of every 6.5 Americans is on food stamps.

#8 It sounds crazy, but the number of Americans on food stamps now exceeds the entire population of the nation of Spain.

#9 According to one calculation, the number of Americans on food stamps is now greater than the combined populations of “Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, West Virginia, and Wyoming.”

#10 According to a report from the Center for Immigration Studies, 43 percent of all immigrants that have been in the United States for at least 20 years are still on welfare.

#11 Back in 1965, only one out of every 50 Americans was on Medicaid. Today, more than 70 million Americans are on Medicaid, and it is being projected that Obamacare will add 16 million more Americans to the Medicaid rolls.

#12 The number of Americans on Medicare is projected to grow from a little bit more than 50 million today to 73.2 million in 2025.

#13 Medicare is facing unfunded liabilities of more than 38 trillion dollars over the next 75 years. That comes to approximately $328,404 for each and every household in the United States.

#14 If the number of Americans enrolled in the Social Security disability program were gathered into a single state, it would be the 8th largest state in the entire country.

#15 In 1968, there were 51 full-time workers for every American on disability. Today, there are just 13 full-time workers for every American on disability.

#16 It is being projected that the number of Americans on Social Security will rise from about 62 million today to more than 100 million in 25 years.

#17 Overall, the Social Security system is facing a 134 trillion dollar shortfall over the next 75 years.

#18 According to the most recent numbers from the U.S. Census Bureau, an all-time record 49.2 percent of all Americans are receiving benefits from at least one government program each month. Back in 1983, less than a third of all Americans lived in a home that received direct monetary benefits from the federal government.

FYI there are clickable links in each number that don't come through on the ATS quote.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 01:55 PM
link   
you arecorrect you are not supposed to be able to buy cigarettes or beer wiith a snap card but trust me you can i see it done everyday illegally in local corner stores . you say that illegals cant apply for benefits wrong again they use identity fraud to accomplish this and i see it all the time to government just for the most part turns a blind eye.

posted on Jul, 22 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   

What confuses me is that Welfare benefits strike such a vitriolic chord with some conservative minded budget hawks...with complaints of "my tax dollars"...whilst

About $59 billion is spent on traditional social welfare programs. $92 billion is spent on corporate subsidies. So, the government spent 50% more on corporate welfare than it did on food stamps and housing assistance in 2006.

thinkbynumbers.org...

Where Is The Outrage Over Corporate Welfare?
www.forbes.com...

Honestly if we are going to do the math...TANF and SNAP are known to economists as the most direct route to stimulating local economies...that money is immediately spent in liquid ways locally spurring jobs and commerce, not saved or exotically invested. Corporate welfare?..that money can go anyplace and often does, hiring over-seas workers etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join