It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: lostsock

Ive worked as a cashier for many years and to be honest the people who get hurt the most by cutting food stamps are the children and people over 65.

Well, then it is a good thing this program doesn't apply to those people.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

wHAT ABOUT the poor people who cant work like the old or disabled or children

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

It doesn't apply to them.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
You obviously didn't even pay attention to your own post. that is 24 hours a week, not 24 hours a month. Most folks who receive food stamp benefits get about $150 or LESS a month. This proposal would pay them $150 a month in exchange for 96 hours of labor a month or in effect pay them a little over a dollar an hour in food stamp benefits, not even cash money. Would YOU work for that? I sure wouldn't and I am very thankfully well employed. This is enforced slave labor and is in no way shape or form acceptable. If they want folks to work for their benefits then they need to be paid at least minimum wage per hour. Just saying...a reply to: trollz

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

and why are people who are illlegally in our country gived foodstamps freely

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
What about jobs? If so many are on food stamps, who are young and able bodied.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Coopdog

You obviously didn't even pay attention to your own post. that is 24 hours a week, not 24 hours a month.

Wrong.

Quoted from source highlighted by me.

Now that individuals have to complete either 20 hours of part-time work a week, volunteer for at least 24 hours per month, or get involved in a vocational program, the amount of SNAP recipients has dramatically dropped from 12,000 to approximately 2,500 by the end of March…Impressive, right?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
What about jobs? If so many are on food stamps, who are young and able bodied.

You mean like paid jobs ?...why on earth would there be any paid jobs if they can get the people on welfare to do the work by volunteering ?.....

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

i love how everyone is focused on the work part of it but nobody is paying attention to the
'or get involved in vocational programs'

so people can get food assistance AND get help finding finding a job...

oh me oh my...why ever would they do that?

unreal....

i cant believe people are against this

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Milomo
a reply to: mOjOm

No I wouldn't work for two bucks that's why I went to school work hard all that.

That and it's illegal and immoral as well.

Transportation I don't know don't care.

Of course you don't. What was I thinking???

I've found a way always have. I'm sincerely unconcerned how someone stealing my money gets along. Yes if you're legally poor it's your fault. I promise if every poor person gave me their life story I could find fault. Cry all you want but some people are inferior to others, and I sincerely don't care if liberals starve in the streets. Schadenfreude.

Well then, there you have it. So you're an elitist who doesn't care about others. Ok, that's your choice after all. At least you're honest about it unlike so many others just like you who try to hide it.

You do realize that Conservatives are also stealing your money too right??? Since you do seem to hold honesty as a virtue I hope you're also honest with yourself when it comes to realizing that it's not just Liberals who are taking money from you.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly
a reply to: Grimpachi

i love how everyone is focused on the work part of it but nobody is paying attention to the
'or get involved in vocational programs'

so people can get food assistance AND get help finding finding a job...

oh me oh my...why ever would they do that?

unreal....

i cant believe people are against this

No, I pointed that out too. That is the part that I liked about this. However, as far as I know that was always part of the program anyway. There is no change there. They've always had job training programs available to everyone. At least in my state they do. I don't know if Maine was different.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
so people are broke. people cant afford food.
so here is a program that gives them food and helps them find work or get the skills to do so and people have a problem with that.
i really cant wrap my mind around this

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   

of course it was available
i think now though if you are in the group mentioned in the article, you have to take up vocation or do some sort of work.
im on board with this

every damn county in the country has some sort of work vocation program for people
its not fun to go acquire skills though. much easier to sleep all day

and if i was hungry with no way to eat, i absolutely would work for $2 an hour.

edit on 19-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Mugly

Oh, so it's mandated then. I still don't find that to be a problem. Basically that's like free education but better because it's a education toward some job placement skill. I'm all good with that. In fact that is actually like giving them food plus something extra on top of it. So if that really is what they say it is I think that is great.

Really my only problem is with the 20 hours a week work part. Even that could be fixed by adjusting the pay per hour compensation part of it.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There are more than enough people abusing every form of public aid to merit this kind of legislation. I also agree that this kind of legislation should not be limited to individuals but rather expanded to include corporations, and yes even governments. Abuse is abuse, regardless of where it originates.

I also like the idea of making people who receive child support show receipts demonstrating how the money was used.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
LOL ok I stand corrected! Don't you hate it when you shoot your mouth off without proper attention to detail? My apologies for calling you out on my misunderstanding but the inappropriate pay for work rendered remains despite the different numbers. a reply to: Grimpachi

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

good thing it is not 20 hours a week.
its per month
that has already been said too

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Oh, so it's mandated then. I still don't find that to be a problem. Basically that's like free education but better because it's a education toward some job placement skill. I'm all good with that. In fact that is actually like giving them food plus something extra on top of it. So if that really is what they say it is I think that is great.

Really my only problem is with the 20 hours a week work part. Even that could be fixed by adjusting the pay per hour compensation part of it.

Do you understand the 20 hrs a week part is an either or thing?

It means if they are working at least 20 hrs a week part time they get the pay plus food assistance.

If they are not working part time they can do 24 hrs a month com service or get the free education towards a job and still get food assistance.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

It did say 20 hours a week. It was 24 hours a month for volunteer work. But 20 hours a week part time work.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Coopdog

No problem it happens to us all at times.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join