It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
The day is going to come, it really already has but it will come in a more dramatic fashion, where it is just an open, self-apparent fact that there are not as many jobs as there are people. This is the inevitable result of increasing automation and a growing population. At that point, we will decide as a people if we are psychopathic, addicted to the old Protestant work ethic, or compassionate human beings...we will either not care what happens to those without income, we will make up unimportant nonsense for people to do to earn their survival, or we will re-evaluate many deeply held beliefs about money and work, and have life be something which doesn't need to be justified through work.
edit on 19-7-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: xuenchen

the amount of SNAP recipients has dramatically dropped from 12,000 to approximately 2,500

guess they cleaned up that program !!!!!

Or people were forced to drop out due to not having any way to get care for their kids not to mention not having a way to their "volunteer" job on a regular basis. If one person winds up in the hospital or heaven forbid dies because of this these politicians should be charged with manslaughter.

This is a joke. Buy a #ing bike, take the bus, make it happen. None of these requirements are impossible for anyone, they just aren't willing to work for it.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: dr1234

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: xuenchen

the amount of SNAP recipients has dramatically dropped from 12,000 to approximately 2,500

guess they cleaned up that program !!!!!

Or people were forced to drop out due to not having any way to get care for their kids not to mention not having a way to their "volunteer" job on a regular basis. If one person winds up in the hospital or heaven forbid dies because of this these politicians should be charged with manslaughter.

This is a joke. Buy a #ing bike, take the bus, make it happen. None of these requirements are impossible for anyone, they just aren't willing to work for it.

So in the situation that you have a baby and no one to watch her, you should just leave her home alone, hop a bike to work, n hope for the best?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: dr1234
By a bike? With what money? Ride the buss? A monthly buss pass here costs 80 bucks. Many if not most rural areas don't even have buss service.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

What part are you not understanding when people keep explaining this does not apply to those with dependents?

Dependent = child/baby

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

What part are you not understanding when people keep explaining this does not apply to those with dependents?

Dependent = child/baby

I didn't read the whole thread, so didn't see that. All I saw was one person proposing that scenario, and another person responding with 'get a #ing bike.' Not, 'it doesn't apply to individuals with defendants.'

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   

This only applies to able-bodied (healthy people) individuals between 18 and 49 that do not have dependents.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:34 PM
link   
ya know i wonder how all those people that live out in the rural areas make it to town to buy that beer and cigs with the cash they get from their EBT cards? can't they do the same to go to work?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

The more hours you work, the less you need food stamps. So, what Republicans have done in Maine is converted a program designed to help the most needy families into a work reward program by which you are entitled to rewards by working. If anything this will only make people feel comfortable leeching from the government as they will feel entitled to the benefits because they have "done their time". And more importantly, The ONLY people who can now get food stamps are ones that can obviously afford food so long as that is their top financial priority.

Yes, if food is your top priority over shelter and clothing, working 20 hours means you will 100% definitely be able to afford food.

Should the Republicans now submit guaranteed section 8 housing for people who work 30 hours or more? We could then top it all off by 37 hours+ gets you government food, clothing, and shelter. As for the people who don't work, let them die in the streets homeless. No, something is seriously stupid about this plan.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
ya know i wonder how all those people that live out in the rural areas make it to town to buy that beer and cigs with the cash they get from their EBT cards? can't they do the same to go to work?

You aren't allowed to buy beer and tobacco with your cards I thought??? Not with SNAP anyway. Maybe if they give you cash you can take out.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Other than the fact that you can't buy alcohol and cigarettes with EBT cards, totally good point...

link   
a reply to: trollz

Way to go Maine! This way fewer poor kids will eat. That'll show those freeloading parents, when their kids get hunger pains and cry a lot. No one wants to live with that. They will find a job if they have to leave the Great State of ME to do it.

link   
a reply to: mOjOm

but you can get cash from the cards and then buy it. don't say you can't i know people that do.

link   
a reply to: wayforward

That's why they should have a cap to cut off at a certain point but no minimum. Why reward those who don't need as much as those who need the most??? Makes no sense.

But then again you're talking about the party that cuts taxes on the rich and gives subsidies to corps that are making a profit already. So I don't think they get it.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

but you can get cash from the cards and then buy it. don't say you can't i know people that do.

If it's set up to do that. That is if they give you that option but not everyone has that option. Some people are just allowed to buy food. As in non cooked, non prepared food. No soda, or fast food or anything. Most people I know who get stamps are like that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Probably because they're illegally trading their food stamps with other individuals for a lesser amount of cash...

People who are all anti-food stamps somehow always bring up buying alcohol and cigarettes with them, even though that is not an option except for in the way that I said, which is already illegal, and yet their position remains thoroughly unchanged...

'Those lazy bastards just use them to buy booze and cigarettes!'
'You can't buy booze and cigarettes, only food.'
'Well they're still lazy bastards.'

That someone could get angry by people being able to buy food...that's got to be a sign of some level of psychopathy...

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Exactly. You can't even get a fountain soda with the card. But you can get it in a bottle I think. But no smokes, no booze or beer. Nothing prepared. Not even like a roasted chicken you buy whole at the store. You have to buy the uncooked one. All kinds of stuff you can't get with it.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz4

it also said they can do part time work. that would be working at a job. for money. they don't have to volunteer, they can work an actual job and get paid.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73
a reply to: xuenchen
I actually think everyone who is able bodied with children over 2 should have to work.
Would that be before or after repealing the US 13th amendment?

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
I am so tired of people acting like it is the low-income people that are causing all the problems...ignoring the endless waste by the military-industrial complex and government-sponsored corporatism, we want to go after the poor...sickening...get your priorities straight, hypocrites.

Its the 'military industrial complex' employing the middle class that pay income taxes that pay for those programs.

Social Programs are the waste.

And once again dunno why this salient point gets IGNORED so often is that ALL SOCIAL PROGRAMS are government sponsored corporatism.

Yeah there are some hypocrites here.
edit on 20-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join