It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: grandmakdw
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck
a reply to: kaylaluv
a reply to: autopat51

People with children are exempt from the requirement

That nullifies your post, sorry.

None of us know anything about any of the people who were eliminated from the program, when they last worked, how much they've paid in taxes or anything else except that they don't have kids, aren't pregnant or disabled and are in a certain age range.

Does that nullify all the rest of the posts? Perhaps if the OP had been more interested in having an honest discussion than with political cheerleading, he'd have used a source that contained some actual information instead of one that painted every recipient of food stamps with the same brush?
edit on 2015-7-19 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

As a man who was unemployed and facing a tough situation in 2009, i can tell you that requiring a person to attend job training in return for SNAP seems very, very reasonable. And were such a measure available to me in 1999, I would have been extremely thankful for it. As it turns out I got lucky and found a corporation that was willing to give me a playground to learn job skills in. Not everyone gets that kind of gig.

This is the state using the states money to make the state a better place. Not make victims, but make more capable workers. Or, at the very least, give the community something back out of their tax dollars by requiring 24 hours a month of community service for people unwilling/unable to recieve job training.

Im kind of baffled how this is not a good thing.

Regardless, it is still extortion. I agree with job retraining and developing a work ethic that will sustain people. I don't agree with calling things what they are not. One cannot equate extortion with volunteering.

Cheers - Dave

It seems simple you CAN volunteer or not so it is voluntary.

People I know have high speed internet and get food 'stamps' card.

What they lack is a sense of self worth. The volunteering very often leads to real jobs and even careers it gives a person feed back from others and can change lives.

I agree, working does tend to increase a person's self esteem or self worth. However, to say volunteer or you will not get whatever "benefit" IS extortion. Apply this in a somewhat similar manner; the goverment wants you to voluntarily pay what it wants for fines, license fees and taxes or you can go to jail and receive financial penalties. It's the same thing, they're both extortion and coating that turd with chocolate doesn't make it an éclair, it's still a chocolate coated turd.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/19.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Char-Lee

the judge assigned me to work in the public library for a few hours per week. it was really wonderful feeling needed there and paying my debt at the same time

I agree with the sentiments of most of your post, however please explain in simple terms how assisting in a public library paid as, in monetarily paid, for the damage to the other car or person? What did the Library reimburse them in dollars's?

Or do you mean you repaid a debt to society in general? How did this help the other person involved in the accident. Were they able to claim on some "uninsured Government fund". I'd like to know you're reasoning. Thanks

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

aaaaaaaaaaaaw
all the poor, able bodied people with no jobs.
poor poor them
lets keep making up more excuses like their transmissions going out and no work within miles
lame
edit on 19-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mugly

aaaaaaaaaaaaw
all the poor, able bodied people with no jobs.
poor poor them
lets keep making up more excuses like their transmissions going out and no work within miles
lame

Maybe you'll be fortunate enough to join their ranks soon and see how they struggle first hand. Maybe then your opinion of the situation will change. After all, it's easier to control a weak population where manufacturing has been decimated and all that's left is the same money from service jobs changing hands.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Well said sir!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

yeah, maybe
doubt it though

there is always fast food.
im not above it
it does pay to have skills though.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:15 PM
link   

That may be true....but debating the source is not really addressing the topic.

You are a very smart person with a fantastic set of Google Fu skills. In the spirit of "he who smelt it, dealt it"....go find some of those answers.

Because honestly, I am interested in seeing them.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Years ago as a young single mom, I had to actively be looking for work, and go to work or lose my benefits,

When and why they changed this I don't know, it was a good program, the system helped me get the job too, at a hospital.

Back then after you found work the money and food stamps stopped but the medical continued as long as you had young children at home.

I don't know how anyone can survive on a welfare check, never figured that out.
edit on 053131p://bSunday2015 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

the amount of SNAP recipients has dramatically dropped from 12,000 to approximately 2,500

guess they cleaned up that program !!!!!

I wonder if the employment rate went up there?

I wonder if those people moved away?

I wonder if they turned to doing illegal things to make up for the loss?

Or were those people doing illegal stuff already?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
a reply to: Char-Lee

the judge assigned me to work in the public library for a few hours per week. it was really wonderful feeling needed there and paying my debt at the same time

I agree with the sentiments of most of your post, however please explain in simple terms how assisting in a public library paid as, in monetarily paid, for the damage to the other car or person? What did the Library reimburse them in dollars's?

Or do you mean you repaid a debt to society in general? How did this help the other person involved in the accident. Were they able to claim on some "uninsured Government fund". I'd like to know you're reasoning. Thanks

It really has nothing much to do with this thread other then forced volunteering was beneficial for me, the case of the not being insured and having no $$, (fine money) I have no idea what was done I was young and just did what I was ordered, I didn't ask but I was not at fault in the accident.
edit on 19-7-2015 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Not years ago, as soon as the kids were in school you had to get a job.

And I didn't have a car, it was the bus, bike or walk.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Seems like a good program. I am sure most can find a place they can volunteer 6 hours a week between their home and the grocery store. Two birds one stone.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
9,500 people will still have to eat. I wonder how they will accomplish this. Maybe crime rates will go up in Maine. Theft. Drug peddling. Sale of prescription meds. Maybe some will be forced to find ways to lessen the cost of their food consumption. Saving leftovers until they go bad. Eating cheaper, processed, unhealthy foods. Who's gonna pay their medical bills when they get sick I wonder?

Will this really be worth it in the long run? I'm not saying it won't be. And I'm glad it won't effect the elderly or those with deoendants. I'm just posing some questions to consider.

They should provide transportation for these folks then. I knew someone who was on some kind of program where they were able to get rides to and from doctors appointments for free. Paratransit, I believe it was called, here in the state of WA. They could at least provide bus passes.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

We dealt with that, which nullifies your post, sorry.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

I bet something could be worked out for those with valid drivers license and the state to manage transportation for those people and that could be their service. Programs like that may already exist.

Anyway, there is a thread on this subject from some months back before the law was implemented and one of the things i found out by googling is people with internet do not even need to leave their home for Com service it can be done online. There seems to be a whole lot of programs that would satisfy the requirement.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Let me ask you why would anyone drop out of the program just because they have to work a few hours?

You think people would rather steal or sell drugs?

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

work from home sounds like a good deal for women with children, to me.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

In Great Britain, they have similar programs where people have to work either part-time or full-time for corporations in order to receive their benefits - they end up earning less than minimum wage in the end, and it ends up making it harder for others to find jobs.

Let's say someone is receiving $120 a month in food stamps - then "volunteering" for 24 hours a month nets $5 / hour.
edit on 19pmSun, 19 Jul 2015 18:22:12 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Ah look isnt this sweet....going after the poor and blaming them for a failing economy.....when will people wake up to the fact that it is NOT the poor causing the economy to fail.......

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join