It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

So if I work 15 hours a week or 60 hours a month I don't get anything. But if I work 80 a month I do. Where's the logic???

If I can volunteer for 24hours a month why can't I work for 60 hours a month and still qualify??? The guy working 80 hours a month qualifies and he's theoretically making more money than me on the job. Plus the guy volunteering just 24 hours a month qualifies and works way less than me. I don't see the logic in the numbers.
edit on 19-7-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

If someone isn't even willing to so much as volunteer for 24 hours PER MONTH, then they don't deserve free handouts.

They have to get to the volunteer place to work…

…whoops, no money. That'll teach them to apply for the job.

Know where this is leading… I mean, eventually?

:30 seconds into here…

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I see how that works.

Society exists to provide for the masses via social programs.

But how dare anyone ask those on it for something in return.

Something seriously wrong with that picture.

Liberty means self-reliance, it means resolution, it means enterprise, it means the capacity for doing without. The free man is one who has won a small and precarious territory from the great mob of his inferiors, and is prepared and ready to defend it and make it support him. All around him are enemies, and where he stands there is no friend. He can hope for little help from other men of his own kind, for they have battles of their own to fight. He has made of himself a sort of god in his little world, and he must face the responsibilities of a god, and the dreadful loneliness

en.wikiquote.org...

I say good for Maine.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

I see the logic in it.

If someone is only working 15 hours a week I am sure they can handle another 6 hours com service or spend some time acquiring the skills to find a job that will give them at least 20 hours a week.

The goal for any able bodied person should be to become self-sufficient at the very least IMO. If it isn't then at least they will pay back the community in a small way with com service.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

What about jobs? If so many are on food stamps, who are young and able bodied.

Apparently not that many get food stamps in Maine.

Less than 1% ?

Under the new rules of the food stamp program implemented by Republican Gov. Paul LePage's administration, the number of participants plummeted to 2,680. This happened after the requirements for weekly work and volunteering were enforced — down from approximately 12,000 Maine residents before January 1. This constitutes a drop of nearly 80 percent in the sparsely populated state of 1.3 million.

Food stamp use plummets under Maine's get-to-work mandate

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: darkbake
a reply to: bobs_uruncle

In Great Britain, they have similar programs where people have to work either part-time or full-time for corporations in order to receive their benefits - they end up earning less than minimum wage in the end, and it ends up making it harder for others to find jobs.

Let's say someone is receiving $120 a month in food stamps - then "volunteering" for 24 hours a month nets $5 / hour.

I was going to mention the slavery angle. The UK like Canada and the US signed the UN Abolition of Slavery treaty in the early 60's. In any case where either goverment benefits or corporations assigned minimum wages do not meet the basic requirements to live, governments and corporations are breaking the law. But shhhhhh, don't tell anyone because if you read the treaty, you might get so pissed off with the goverment, the central bank and their dogs like the IRS, that you might do something about it.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 7/19.2015 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

It seems to me like setting a maximum would be better though. For example if you're working 30 hours a week or more you don't qualify but under that you do. Why punish the person who's at least trying and working a part time job of 15 hours a week??? They are still working 3 days of 5 hours. That's still part time. They just need a little more to help out. It's not like 150 in food credits is some huge amount of money here. Plus they're still working and doing something. Hell, it's more than just volunteering for 24 a month even. Yet they don't qualify.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Why stop at 15 maybe lower it to 10 or 5 or 2? /sarc

If someone is only working 3 days a week for 5 hours. There are still 4 more days in a week and generally a shift is 8 hours so you are actually talking about someone working 2 days a week.

20 hrs IMO is already being extremely helpful to able-bodied people.

Able-bodied person = A person who should be able to take care of themselves.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

After further reading and understanding, I think its a good program.

I would even give those who do work 20 hours a week the option of volunteering as well for extra foodstamps. $150 a month doesn't go far these days, even for just one person. I know I couldn't eat on that.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: SubTruth

OP you are laughing at people going hungry........Empathy and compassion are learned traits parents are failing to teach and result in people laughing at going without food.

Furthermore many of these people are single moms with kids......What if you don't have car.......What if you can afford child care........We are talking about something people need to survive. Look around the amount of money spent on fighting endless needless wars could feed the worlds needy.......Perspective......Gain it OP.

If you have seen my posts before I am ultra conservative and even I think this is pathetic and cruel. A better idea would be in home jobs like making calls or customer service for the state agencies. Let them earn food this way.......Many of them would gladly accept a offer like this.

Read the link: single moms with kids are not included in the law.

Well I hate when this happens......Jumping to conclusions and looking the fool. If single moms are not part of this I am 100% for it......OP I am sorry.........I said you lacked empathy and compassion without getting all the facts first.

OP really.........My bad.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I am so tired of people acting like it is the low-income people that are causing all the problems...ignoring the endless waste by the military-industrial complex and government-sponsored corporatism, we want to go after the poor...sickening...get your priorities straight, hypocrites.
edit on 19-7-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Bravo! Now to drug test!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I am all for able bodied people on welfare being made to work and for drug testing but what got me was the damn pic with the story...I am sorry but it is not all minorities on welfare.

edit on 19-7-2015 by krosnos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

After further reading and understanding, I think its a good program.

I would even give those who do work 20 hours a week the option of volunteering as well for extra foodstamps. $150 a month doesn't go far these days, even for just one person. I know I couldn't eat on that.

It's not bad in my opinion either. I like the job program part. I just think it needs a little tweak here and there in a couple ways. There are other things to consider as well, but in trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, at face value it's not too bad.

Now that it's taken care of I'm sure they'll start working on how to decrease the massive amounts of money going to corporations in subsidies now, right??? After all, there is at least as much if not more money going to individuals and corporations that already are making massive profit. How long till they get started cutting them back????

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   

edit on 19-7-2015 by Gestas because: they don't need to realize this.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Why stop at 15 maybe lower it to 10 or 5 or 2? /sarc

I don't have a problem with that actually. They need help too don't they??

If someone is only working 3 days a week for 5 hours. There are still 4 more days in a week and generally a shift is 8 hours so you are actually talking about someone working 2 days a week.

20 hrs IMO is already being extremely helpful to able-bodied people.

Able-bodied person = A person who should be able to take care of themselves.

Well, why not just give it to people working 40 hours or more then. Or maybe only people with 3 or more part time jobs??? Really make them work for those measly food credits!! No slackers either. If they miss one day of work cancel the food credits for 2 months to teach them a lesson. The lazy bastards. It costs us taxpayers 10 cents a day to feed these starving people. That's one extra cigarette. Or 1/10 of a soda. Or just under half of what it costs to get one of those plastic eggs with the stickers in them at the checkout. Sure they get to eat but what about my half of a sticker, nobody cares about my loss!!

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I would just like to point out that despite everyone calling California a welfare state, they already do this. 32 hours a week.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
it's been a 7 months, if all the people poo-pooing this are correct, then there should have been an increase of deaths by "Starvation" So how many have there been?

While correlation does not imply causation, the unemployment rate also dropped.

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Thank Bill Clinton and his so called "liberal" supporters. All this guy is doing is ending the "break" given during the financial crisis. Now it's back to Clinton's "welfare" reforms in Maine.
edit on 19-7-2015 by JeanPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   
The problem is there aren't enough living wage jobs. In part due to the governments "free trade" deals and also the deregulation of Wall St.

Politicians (democrat and republican) are slime and all too many Americans are ignorant when it comes to economic matters.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join