It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Just Put Welfare Leeches In Their Place

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

Its the 'military industrial complex' employing the middle class that pay income taxes that pay for those programs.

Social Programs are the waste.

And once again dunno why this salient point gets IGNORED so often is that ALL SOCIAL PROGRAMS are government sponsored corporatism.

Yeah there are some hypocrites here.

They are all a waste huh??? Why don't you elaborate on that a bit because that is a pretty broad statement with zero support. I'd like to see you back that statement up with some data to show why they are a waste. Not just economically either, but morally. Because there are other reasons as to why social programs aren't a waste that have nothing to do with just money.

You also think all subsidies should also be done away with too though right???

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
I am so tired of people acting like it is the low-income people that are causing all the problems...ignoring the endless waste by the military-industrial complex and government-sponsored corporatism, we want to go after the poor...sickening...get your priorities straight, hypocrites.

Its the 'military industrial complex' employing the middle class that pay income taxes that pay for those programs.

And once again dunno why this salient point gets IGNORED so often is that ALL SOCIAL PROGRAMS are government sponsored corporatism.

Allowing poor people to buy food is corporatism, and giving massive corporations billions of dollars and funding a never-ending war machine, including weapons manufacturers, are helping out the middle class...LMAO! I have heard it all now.

Food for poor = corporatism
Billions for corporations = helping the middle class
edit on 20-7-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

They should take Bill Hick's advice and develop weapons that shoot food in to hungry peoples mouth.

M16's that shoot m&m's and flamethrowers that squirt milkshakes. Stuff like that.

What's ironic is that would win more wars than you could ever win by killing people.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

for those that truly need it no problem.
but you know as well as i do there are more people out there like the 29 yr old surfer dude that eats lobster and riding tasty waves, and playing in a band that's not going to go any where, that are robbing the system blind so he can play his music.

granted that is a extreme example, but there are literately tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands doing that. just because they can meet the requirements of the system. then when things get hot or they get booted they lay low, then come back to it after a time.

like i said i know people that have been scamming the system for years on end. those that pretend that those are far and few in between, or that people want to deny people food chose to wear blinders.

as in any thing there are those that ____ it up for those that truly need it.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie

for those that truly need it no problem.
but you know as well as i do there are more people out there like the 29 yr old surfer dude that eats lobster and riding tasty waves, and playing in a band that's not going to go any where, that are robbing the system blind so he can play his music.

granted that is a extreme example, but there are literately tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands doing that. just because they can meet the requirements of the system. then when things get hot or they get booted they lay low, then come back to it after a time.

like i said i know people that have been scamming the system for years on end. those that pretend that those are far and few in between, or that people want to deny people food chose to wear blinders.

as in any thing there are those that ____ it up for those that truly need it.

As long as we're spending billions funding never-ending wars, corporate welfare, and imprisoning people for victimless crimes, I don't give a damn about some people getting free food.
edit on 20-7-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Allowing poor people to buy food is corporatism, and giving massive corporations billions of dollars and funding a never-ending war machine, including weapons manufacturers, are helping out the middle class...LMAO! I have heard it all now.

This all depends on the twisted type of logic one chooses to use....so it could just be that funding the military receives does in fact help the middle class,and that is because the surplus weaponry ends up being given to law enforcement who then use those weapons to shoot the middle class,in turn freeing up more middle class jobs,also this weaponry kills poor people and dole bludgers this also helps the middle class as more money is freed up into the public purse allowing more benefits for the middle class

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Many states, or at least that I know of on the West coast, have this. I have no problem with it personally. As well as with being given foodstamps if sorely needed when in college you have to have a part time job also to receive them. Though, there there may be those who being cut off of stamps during Main's new process there that just could not, for their own reason, be able to abide by the new rules as well as rather than proving that all of those people were system abusers.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

They are all a waste huh??? Why don't you elaborate on that a bit because that is a pretty broad statement with zero support

The American republic has endured for well over two centuries, but over the past 50 years, the apparatus of American governance has undergone a radical transformation. In some basic respects—its scale, its preoccupations, even many of its purposes—the U.S. government today would be scarcely recognizable to Franklin D. Roosevelt, much less to Abraham Lincoln or Thomas Jefferson.

In 2010 alone, government at all levels oversaw a transfer of over $2.2 trillion in money, goods and services. The burden of these entitlements came to slightly more than $7,200 for every person in America. Scaled against a notional family of four, the average entitlements burden for that year alone approached $29,000.

The Entitlement State.

It’s been 50 years now since the federal government launched its “War on Poverty.” But the numbers just released by the Census Bureau suggest we’re in a losing battle.

We’ve Spent $22 Trillion on War on Poverty. What Have We Achieved?

50 years.

$22 Trillion spent on it.

More people are poor, more dependent on government programs than EVER in this nations history.

After 50 YEARS, TRILLIONS spent. WHAT THE HELL DO WE HAVE TO SHOW FOR IT ?

The current debt @ $18 TRILLION.

Current federal spending is over $2.2 trillion dollars just on social programs, that's not even counting food stamps.

That's not counting student loans debt since the government take over that is over $ 1 trillion alone.

US unfunded liabilities close to $100 TRILLION. That's the money 'owed' to those programs that there is no way in hell that can ever be paid.

That good enough?

What has been going on sure and snip isn't 'moral'.

Rob from the haves so the 'poor' go out, and buy more stuff.

THAT IS IMMORAL.
edit on 20-7-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This all depends on the twisted type of logic one chooses to use....so it could just be that funding the military receives does in fact help the middle class,and that is because the surplus weaponry ends up being given to law enforcement who then use those weapons to shoot the middle class,in turn freeing up more middle class jobs,also this weaponry kills poor people and dole bludgers this also helps the middle class as more money is freed up into the public purse allowing more benefits for the middle class

Haha, ohhh ok, it makes perfect sense now.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I am so tired of people acting like it is the low-income people that are causing all the problems...ignoring the endless waste by the military-industrial complex and government-sponsored corporatism, we want to go after the poor...sickening...get your priorities straight, hypocrites.

Alirightie then.

Long live the WELFARE INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX.

It's 'cooler'.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I am reminded of 1984...where the language was altered, definitions changed.

War is peace
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
Billions to corporations is assistance for the poor
Food for the poor is corporate welfare

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Seems reasonable enough.
a reply to: trollz

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I remember when my family got hit with unemployment. Trying to find work, and trying to make a few things to sell at the flea market took MORE than 60 hours a week. This really seems like it could hurt the people that were trying to do better for themselves to me.
I understand the system needing some reform though.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Yikes, the dailysignal as one of your sources huh?!?!? Neat...

Anyway, Let's look at something more official maybe.

Whitehouse.gov
THE WAR ON POVERTY 50 YEARS LATER: A PROGRESS REPORT

➢ The percent of the population in poverty when measured to include tax credits and
other benefits has declined from 25.8 percent in 1967 to 16.0 percent in 2012.

➢ Programs designed to increase economic security and opportunity lifted over 45 million
people from poverty in 2012, and led to an average of 27 million people lifted out of
poverty per year for 45 years between 1968 and 2012. Cumulatively these efforts
prevented 1.2 billion “person years” of poverty over this period.

➢ The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)—formerly known as the Food
Stamp Program—reduced poverty in 2012 by 1.6 percentage points among all
individuals, and by 3.0 percentage points among children.

➢ Despite concerns that antipoverty programs may discourage employment, the best
research suggests that work disincentive effects are small or nonexistent for most
programs.

➢ Increased access to SNAP for children has been found to lead to better health and
greater economic self-sufficiency in adulthood.

➢ Increased family income in childhood from the EITC and CTC leads to higher student
achievement.

➢ The long-term effects of Head Start and other high-quality preschool programs include
higher educational attainment, employment, and earnings, and lower rates of teen
pregnancy and crime, as beneficiary children become teenagers and young adults.

So maybe it's all in who you ask. Some people say one thing and other say another. One thing I do know however, is that money isn't wasted when it's spent feeding and helping the people here in our own country. It does a hell of a lot more good then when we send it overseas, build machines of death that we already have plenty of already, give it to corporations who are making profits already, use it to bail out banks and wall st. for their illegal gambling, etc. So it did some good there I believe.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Speaking of social programs designed by either wickedly smart or abysmally stupid social engineers...depending on how one sees this.... did you know there is such a thing as "Medicaid Recovery", where the govt goes after even the gifts you have given others for up to 5 years prior to death in order to recover hospital expenses? Our wonderful caring Nanny at work.
edit on 20-7-2015 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hadriana

There is no doubt this hurt some of the wrong people,......sure it may remove a few leeches from the program but you can bet it will hurt those most in need at some point...

And yes the system is in need a massive reform
edit on 20-7-2015 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
LePage administration wants adults without children to work to get food stamps[/url]

Isn't this the whole problem with our "welfare" system in the first place? The only payouts are for people who have children, and the payouts increase with the number of kids you have. All this does is encourage people to have children they can't support in order to get a handout.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The only payouts are for people who have children, and the payouts increase with the number of kids you have.

No. And yes (sort of, there are a number of considerations).

edit on 7/20/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

How about massively limited government.

posted on Jul, 20 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   
By page 9 of this thread... I wonder how many of the folks who are slamming this have read the "Adults without dependents..." part of this.

Translation... people without children or dependents (not all dependents are children).

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join