It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

I understand. All I can tell you is that the same applies to them. They are exercising their free speech too in calling you a bigot. Even though they might be totally incorrect and misinformed in saying that to you, they are exercising free speech.

The same goes to them as well. Anyone who might say something to them that they don't like I'd tell them the same thing.

My advice is don't get offended by it if possible. You know where you stand. You know if you're a bigot or not. So the best you can do is argue against what they say to you by saying something back.

That's the double edge of Freedom of Speech. Sometimes it may be used to attack you. But they're just words and it's much more dangerous to not allow them to be said.

Try not to blame liberal either. Even though I don't label myself as such personally, that is the label I get put on me and not all liberals think anyone that disagrees is a homophobe or racist or whatever. You have every right to disagree and they have every right to disagree with you. Freedom of speech baby!!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
No gay person has ever told any Christian that they must become gay or be considered second-class citizens and/or people.

The converse of that statement is not, however, true.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

The very second that anyone is criminally punished for speaking out against marriage between gay folks, they are going to lose an advocate and I will be standing with those who were punished.

Equal rights does NOT mean special rights or protected rights.

It means that they are just as equally a target for derisive speech as the rest of us.
I'll be standing right there with you if that day comes. Equality means everyone is equal, even the people who's speech we may not agree with.

Even the preachers who tell two men "I won't marry you because it's an abomination." Even with this ruling, we have to protect the right of all Americans to practice their religion as they see fit (within the law, of course). And this is coming from an atheist. Why? Because if religion comes under concerted attack, I might be next. Freedom of religion extends to me, as well, even if I lack it, I'm FREE to lack religion.

It's beautiful that way.

Well said, Wakai josei.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fromabove
I guess the battle will be between two protected groups, Christians and Homosexuals. If gays do not want Christians in their face, they should stay out of theirs. Equal rights means equal rights.
It will be a new day when Christians stop screaming about homosexuals. They have been for hundreds of years and have mainly been on the winning end, It is the other team's turn.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

I guess the battle will be between two protected groups, Christians and Homosexuals. If gays do not want Christians in their face, they should stay out of theirs. Equal rights means equal rights.
It will be a new day when Christians stop screaming about homosexuals. They have been for hundreds of years and have mainly been on the winning end, It is the other team's turn.

So now it's the Christians turn to be discriminated against and become second-class citizens?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Two wrongs make a right? Is that what your trying to say?

Wow your just as bad as those gay bashers.

link   
a reply to: reldra

US Churches did not become obsessed with homosexuals until we started acting like we were just every-day, normal, law-abiding, tax-paying American citizens ... we should just be thankful that they aren't burning us and take what we get.

Oh, and with the rise of the radical political religious right in this country ... they don't have much of a platform without us.

link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
No gay person has ever told any Christian that they must become gay or be considered second-class citizens and/or people.

The converse of that statement is not, however, true.

Homosexuals have been in a hissy for years and years because they demand that Christians give them the blessing for what the Bible says is sin. This is the reason for a cake baking thing and picture taking episode.

There are over 200 million Christians or Christian leaning people in the USA. And only less than 3 percent homosexuals in the US population, so they claim. And now that push has come to shove, 2016 may not be what the democratic party had hoped for.

And being a homosexual does not make you a second class citizen. What the Supreme Court did changed nothing except that it allowed homosexuals to do what they always had, be homosexual and all that comes with it.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I guess the battle will be between two protected groups, Christians and Homosexuals. If gays do not want Christians in their face, they should stay out of theirs. Equal rights means equal rights. It will be a new day when Christians stop screaming about homosexuals. They have been for hundreds of years and have mainly been on the winning end, It is the other team's turn.

You are correct. However, keep in mind. Verbal Battle against them may not work out the way you think it will. After all, if what you say is correct and Christians have been talking smack about gays for hundreds of years, in the end it apparently didn't work out too well for them did it???

It may not end well for you either should you take up their same methods.
edit on 26-6-2015 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: Greathouse

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Islam at all... This country isn't under Sharia Law and it isn't illegal to draw a picture of Mohammad.

We become more 'infidelized' with this law. Now we are in real trouble with the long (head beheading) arms of "across continents" Sharia Law.
What happened to common law long term relationships/it takes care of this issue.
edit on 26-6-2015 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fromabove

Nope. I've never heard any gay person (who wasn't a Christian) ask for any sort of Christian "blessing."

Nope. The "cake baking thing" and the "picture taking episode" are about equality before the law of public accomodation.

What about the Christians who are homosexual? What about the homosexuals who are Republican? Your argument seems overly simplified.

No, being homosexual doesn't make anyone a second-class citizen ... inequitable laws like sodomy laws, blue laws and associated procedures did.

Thankfully, another one of those fell today.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Fromabove

No. They aren't forcing approval from Christians. There are plenty of Christians who don't have any problem with gays and totally support them getting married too. How else do you think a group that only represents 3% of the population was able to change things??? It's because a lot of that other 97% also supported them.

They just want to be treated like everyone else. No better, no worse and they're one step closer to that now.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Why would you want to engage in Hate speak though, i know it's your right, and it's peoples right to get offended etc etc... but why would you want too? i mean what kind of person are you to be throwing slurs against another Human because we are GLBTQ

Someone verbally attacks a Gay and it's their freedom. a Gay says something about a Christian and they are attacking their amendments and the liberal progressive gay agenda is taking over the country and taking away your rights etc

anyone who engages in the depth of hate speech that i have heard and seen written shows what kind of person you are, you are no better than other hateful groups..

i don't care if you """"Believe""""" in GLBTQ or not, Hate is hate, yes you have the freedom to do so...

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

I guess the battle will be between two protected groups, Christians and Homosexuals. If gays do not want Christians in their face, they should stay out of theirs. Equal rights means equal rights. It will be a new day when Christians stop screaming about homosexuals. They have been for hundreds of years and have mainly been on the winning end, It is the other team's turn.

You are correct. However, keep in mind. Verbal Battle against them may not work out the way you think it will. After all, if what you say is correct and Christians have been talking smack about gays for hundreds of years, in the end it apparently didn't work out too well for them did it???

It may not end well for you either should you take up their same methods.

For the Christians it's not a battle of law or might but it is a spiritual battle of the soul. A verbal response is to be given when a Christian is confronted with what can only be offensive sinful behavior along with the demand to embrace it. To that they will say no and why.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Darth_Prime

And that's what it is all about.

Having the freedom to hate.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Well, again, these aren't my fears. These are cautionary warnings from the dissenting justices of SCOTUS. Given certain trends, unsuccessful thus far, and the dissenting opinions, it would be foolish to completely disregard their warnings. Someone tried to lecture me on certain historic points...

I would remind everyone here to remember our own history of ignoring the constitution. WWII internment of Japanese, German, and Italian citizens; Happy Camps in the Civil War; the Trail of Tears after the SCOTUS of the day already ruled it unconstitutional; the Patriot Act; etc.

Just because something is or isn't unconstitutional, it doesn't mean that it will remain safe. The dissenting supreme court justices gave warning about how today's decision may impact future religious liberties. I think we should be aware.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

a reply to: reldra

So insults should not be allowed?
Ones directed toward a group that is protected in many states should not be.
Look up hate speech. But Bandit might be.

So insulting Christians is okay.

Hands off the gay folks.

That what you saying?

I never said that. Christians have been on the winning end of this for too long now. They quote everything from the bible to unscientific nature ideas and encompass a wide swath of religions. Oddly, many Christians have exhibited hatred, discrimination, and unrealistic condemnation of others for hundreds of years. When their founder, was nothing like that. I can point out the history of christianity, a lot of which was not very nice and compare it to the relativity short history of gay and same sex marriage activism. There is a definite difference. I would say hands off for now, yes. I feel comfortable with that.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
One wonders why Christians are only "confronting" homosexuality, when they have divorce, theft, dishonesty, fornication, adultery ... not to mention pride and a lack of compassion in front of them all the time, every day, sometimes in their own mirrors ... what's so special about homosexuality?

Christians are charged in the Bible with sharing the Good News of their faith, but are also counseled (by their Lord and Savior) to make sure they themselves are sinless before they start throwing stones or pulling out splinters from others.

Anyone here without sin?
edit on 20Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:52:06 -050015p082015666 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

For the Christians it's not a battle of law or might but it is a spiritual battle of the soul. A verbal response is to be given when a Christian is confronted with what can only be offensive sinful behavior along with the demand to embrace it. To that they will say no and why.

Well, if it's a spiritual battle then I suggest you take it up with your god then. Because not everyone believes as you do, has the same god as you do, or even any god at all. So any spiritual problems you're having are in fact "your problem".

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Well... It is even just Christians. It's most religions. You have to include Islam and Judaism too.

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join