It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Court extends same-sex marriage nationwide

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+47 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
It's official !!!

The Supreme Court says same sex marriage is protected by the 14th Amendment.

State bans are now illegal.

The decision was just handed down.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has declared that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States.

Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court's ruling on Friday means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will have to stop enforcing their bans on same-sex marriage.

6/26/15 - Obergefell v. Hodges

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Good.

Now can we move on?

Glad this issue is over with.

Also glad I could agree on a SC ruling.

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Bout time! Good show! Equality wins in the end!

Though I fear this argument is FAR from over. Abortion was confirmed by the Supreme Court and THAT discussion hasn't gone away.
edit on 26-6-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

First flag and star I've ever given to you, I believe! LOL! (not really)

Woo-Hoo! I hoped this would happen. There's gonna be a lot of "excitement" about this today! Freaking Woo-Hoo!

+3 more 
link   

I should have put money on this outcome! Now gays can also participate in the institution of marriage. Divorce lawyers are celebrating everywhere!

Congratulations gay folks! I hope you all live happily ever after!

link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
It's official !!!

The Supreme Court says same sex marriage is protected by the 14th Amendment.

State bans are now illegal.

The decision was just handed down.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Supreme Court has declared that same-sex couples have a right to marry anywhere in the United States.

Gay and lesbian couples already can marry in 36 states and the District of Columbia. The court's ruling on Friday means the remaining 14 states, in the South and Midwest, will have to stop enforcing their bans on same-sex marriage.

6/26/15 - Obergefell v. Hodges

Just in case anyone doesn't know, this is for same sex marriage ceremonies carried out in a register office or any other licensed place that can perform weddings, but places no pressure on any religious institution to perform a same sex wedding.

Personally I think it's a very good move - xuenchen, you've posted this but no given an opinion - do you have one?

+5 more 
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It's going to be FABULOUS! Sorry I couldn't resist...

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   
There is no reason gay people shouldn't have the same rights and benefits straight people do.

Hopefully we as a society can move past this and let them live as happily/as miserable as the rest their married peers.

But for God's sake don't force the religious to participate in your ceremonies against their wishes.
edit on 26-6-2015 by MoreBeer because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Love wins!

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

So gay marriage is now legal in this country . I thought homosexuals were offensive to radical Islam ? Let me get this straight I'm just trying to keep up .

Exercising your rights to draw a picture of Mohammed is called bad, baiting and offensive ?

But a minority exercising their right to gay marriage even though offensive to Islam. Is good ?

I really don't understand the rationality of protesters sometimes ? To me it appears the deck is stacked .
edit on 26-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-6-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Nice to see this official. It would have been nice to see the leader of the free world, leading on equal rights but, at least we managed to get there.

+27 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

I'm confused as to what this has to do with Islam at all... This country isn't under Sharia Law and it isn't illegal to draw a picture of Mohammad.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Dammit and my roommate is asleep so I can't tell him the good news

+15 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There we go.

Now let's stop focusing on who people want to love shall we?

Great win for equal rights. And I can't wait to watch the GOP candidates for POTUS stumble through the Sunday talk shows this week.

-Tenth

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Now more people are equally able to allow the Government to be involved in a contract between two private parties, where the Government shouldn't even be involved at all...

I agree, besides divorce lawyers, now more people will understand the effect of the "marriage penalty" when they file their taxes next year.

The fact that this is even an issue shows how blind everyone is to the inevitable collapse of the fiat currency and overextension of the empire... I digress.

Aside from my opinion about Government involvement in marriage, period, at least those folks who want to symbolize their love / commitment can now legally do so.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

Logic?

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I believe it would be prudent to read the opinion of the court and the dissenting of the three justices that dissent. It is an interesting read and one that will have bearing on other cases in the future. This is a corner stone case and one that will ultimately have an effect for a long time.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Excellent news! ... and I am waiting for those that said they were going to immolate themselves to do so! LOL

It was very close, 5 to 4, but justice won.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Do not say you have not been warned.

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.
For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.
Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.
Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

posted on Jun, 26 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SonOfThor

You know if the anti-gay marriage lobby had pursued this argument and course of action instead of steadfastly trying to prevent gays from marrying, I would have agreed with them for Libertarian reasons, because in the end the result would have been the same. Gays would be getting married.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join