It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should We Genetically Upgrade Human DNA

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I believe that it is possible that before we as a species can evolve into a more peaceful species; we may do ourselves in first. With that possible scenario in mind; should we as a species begin the discussion of genetically modifying our DNA and / or other portions of our brain with the goal of removing our instincts to kill one another.

The goal of course is to stop wars, homicides, etc. and to begin the process of moving our species further along faster before we end ourselves.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

With that possible scenario in mind; should we as a species begin the discussion of genetically modifying our DNA and / or other portions of our brain with the goal of removing our instincts to kill one another.

You are confused. We don't have instincts to kill one another. Our instincts instruct us to get along. Killing one another does not lead to survival of the species, instincts do.

The goal of course is to stop wars, homicides, etc. and to begin the process of moving our species further along faster before we end ourselves.
It seems you are talking about ending our species. Turning it into something else.

edit on 5/24/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
No disrespect intended but I most certainly disagree with you. Research has determined that we, especially men are hard wired to protect our group species. And that means killing if need be.

The issue is our world society is trying to move forward in a positive way but our killing instincts have become outdated.

a reply to: Phage

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: bucsarg

Research has determined that we, especially men are hard wired to protect our group species. And that means killing if need be.
We are hardwired to survive, not to kill. You want to remove that hardwiring and turn us into...what?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Fighting is a wasteful mistake.
It is there as a means to protect ones collective, to SEEK it is counter productive as well.
Trust me I've done it.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: bucsarg
I believe that it is possible that before we as a species can evolve into a more peaceful species; we may do ourselves in first. With that possible scenario in mind; should we as a species begin the discussion of genetically modifying our DNA and / or other portions of our brain with the goal of removing our instincts to kill one another.

Aren't you assuming a lot, there?
Where did our DNA come from, to begin with? Shouldn't we know that, first, before we go about modifying it? Let's begin that discussion, but……how do we know, anyway? Should we modify what we don't even know, firstly, what it means? "portions of our brain?" Our "instincts to kill one another?" Where do you think that really comes from?
Do we have a true "instinct" to kill one another?

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

I Think its more of a sociological phenomenon than a psychological malady. We form group connections and are hardwired to protect our group for survival purposes. Frankly some cultures can not co exist, let me give you an example(hopefully without rousing to much political banter). Extremist in the middle east lay waste to whole ethnic groups they institutionally rape and enslave women, they want to cut westerners heads off and do. In a sociological more mature society when we have differences we compromise, But how do you compromise with someone who wants to cut your head off? Do you offer them half of your head?Or maybe your friends head and you can keep yours? I digress , In the same way a leader is required for group direction a superior culture must win out. That is my conclusion take it or leave it.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You are correct in that we are hardwired to survive. But we will kill to survive.

I think most of the world is surviving very well. So why are we still killing. Something is very much out of order.

a reply to: Phage

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

So why are we still killing.
As has been pointed out, it has nothing to do with instinct or survival.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
You are correct.

I was in the 1st CAV. BUCSARG

a reply to: cavtrooper7

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:08 PM
link   

......should we as a species begin the discussion of genetically modifying our DNA and / or other portions of our brain with the goal of removing our instincts to kill one another.

Yes, we should upgrade our species. I'm tired of being lonely.

Seriously though, our instinct for survival is masked by our want for sex. Let's not kid ourselves. We kill for sport and because we don't have effective communication skills that will thwart the "need" for killing. Again, let's not kid ourselves.

That being said, if we modify our DNA to stop us from killing, we will also need to upgrade the part of our brain, or the DNA molecules, that are responsible for our comprension and communication skills. That way, we won't miss the killing. We will also be forced to think of innovative ways of population control.

But it all has to start with making peace more profitable than war. We still gotta make that buck.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:33 PM
link   

If we do this there will be purists, they would be the new Amish basically.

Do you force this to happen, or is it volunteers only?

Just curious.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
No.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If it were to take place it needs to be Voluntary. Would need to start out as trials first.

a reply to: johnwick

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Something I've certainly thought about before. considering the waste we make of our brains, utilising a mere 10% of its potential. But the question is
Do we have to stimulate the evolution once we have acquired the knowledge, a sort of test of passage
Or is it meant to take place naturally from terrestrial and cosmic sources

Just have a little think that eating genetically mutated foods could pass that mutation on or the mechanism of mutations into us the consumer and the potential for it to be used as you describe

But we ain't that lucky
See Monsanto

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   

No we should build a positronic brain and get rid of us

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

With that possible scenario in mind; should we as a species begin the discussion of genetically modifying our DNA and / or other portions of our brain with the goal of removing our instincts to kill one another.

You are confused. We don't have instincts to kill one another. Our instincts instruct us to get along. Killing one another does not lead to survival of the species, instincts do.

We are all confused actually. Our instincts tell us to do both.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Agreed.

a reply to: redhorse

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   

I agree with you slightly. I agree that modifying our DNA could be a very good the when we have a fuller understanding of it's coding and the affects of changing it ( both immediate and long term). I think it would be amazing if we could alter our DNA to make it so that it doesn't lose information everytime it replicates itself, ultimately eliminating aging.

posted on May, 24 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I would suggest looking into the field of epigenetics. The human body can naturally uplift itself by altering its genetic expression. The most common practices that were shown to have positive epigenetic effects are unconditional love and meditation/prayer. For example, a certain inflammatory gene (unnecessary, excessive inflammation is the underlying problem in many diseases) was able to be silenced in under an hour by meditation.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join