It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING!!! New Scam...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+75 more 
posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:38 AM
link   
As many of you know, I am and have been a Law Enforcement officer for years.

Just last night I received complaint of a new scam and thought I would advise you all so that you can pass it around.

You will get a phone call stating that you have missed your date to sit on jury duty. They then tell you that you have two choices; either report to the Sheriff's office and be arrested and bonded out, or "wire" them $980.00usd and they will not pursue the arrest anymore.

They are targeting elder people and scaring the crap out of them in order for this to work.

They use "throw away" phones and constantly switch accounts so tracking them is virtually impossible.

PLEASE tell all your friends and family about this..

Semper

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Good info, thank-you.

Isn't the penalty for not reporting to jury duty just a removal of your voter registration? Or has that changed? Or is it different by state?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up on this, I will spread the word.

Seems like there is a HUGE increase in phone scams. Is it just me?

I get the "your computer has a virus" scam every week or two.

+1 more 
posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Just to mess with them I'd have to lie and say, "Well, I'm a Sheriff's Deputy and I don't have a warrant for me". Lol. But, knowing my luck, it'd be a real cop on the other end.

edit on 22-5-2015 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Phone etiquette . No number no answer . Interstate , answer then say dont waste your time . Interstate claiming to be from some kind of credit recovery or credit card related company , say can you hold the line and go back to the tv or ATS without hanging up . Trying to sell something , cant say due to T&Cs . Online surveys , yes i do them . For every question asked i ask a question back , strangely i dont get surveys anymore .

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I've never heard of it happening, but they can charge you with contempt..

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I looked it up then my net went out for a few. Apparently it varies a lot state to state with the charge being contempt of court like you said, hefty fines and jail time. Luckily for me I never tried to dodge lol.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
This seems so easy to identify as a scam to me but I know that older people could fall for it. These people who prey on older people should be put in prison for a long time. Some seniors have a lot of money but most do not. Some day when I get older I may fall for this kind of scam if I don't have someone to warn me about them.

Thanks OP for informing us to let others know..

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I've skipped jury duty 3 times with zero consequences. I can still vote too.
Come at me government!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shorteststraw

I've skipped jury duty 3 times with zero consequences. I can still vote too.
Come at me government!

If they actually prosecuted jury no shows, there would be zero time to try anything else. The show up rate is laughable.

God forbid someone on contempt for failing to report for jury duty demands a jury trial.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I'm in the UK and this sort of scam would only affect those of us of 'good character'. I have a criminal record and therefore wouldn't be considered for jury service, I'd know instantly that it's a scam.

Is it the same in the US?

Anyway, take care all.
edit on 22-5-2015 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Thanks for the heads up. This is a scam my Mother might fall for. She is smart but she jumps the gun sometimes when it comes to me. I am active duty and I have been called for jury duty every time I am deployed or about to be deployed...never fails. She would likely send these chumps money if they said my name. So thank you I will call her in the morning to let her know not to fall for anything for which I will get lectured on how she is not so dumb...and talk about a pain in the backside to have to come up with a way to send orders to the court to show I am deployed or just on active duty...seems scanners and fax machines are not on the list to take to war.
edit on 5/22/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

+8 more 
posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   

What if I were to tell them to come by and pick up the cash, and then beat the snot out of the scamming bastards?

Would that be entrapment?

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

ooooh, that's a Great idea ! Then have the cops waiting behind the door to arrest them. Right after they repeatedly fell down of course. I mean, how else ya gonna explain all those broken bones? Right?!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Great heads up to those in the US Semper !!

Here in OZ, if you miss jury duty ( it is compulsory, as is voting ).

They will take your first born and burden their kids with huge govt. debt !!

Forever.

Best go with the scammers if you live here.

Love your work !
edit on 22-5-2015 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I am in my 60's and I really appreciate you letting us know about this. It has been my policy for quite some time that anyone I don't know that calls me...I just don't respond. Thanks to a friend of mine and ATS I have gotten educated about various scams.

Here is an interesting article I found regarding this scam: www.columbian.com...

edit on 2015-05-22T10:07:27-05:00amFridayam2220155America/Chicagoam by caladonea because: edit

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Thanks, semper. There are a lot of scams targeting older people...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Once a person reaches a older age and their income is hardly feeding them then a few days with 3 meals a day might give them some reprieve from the economic burden of life .Not saying it all good but the prospect does have some appeal . :>)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Thanks for the warning.

I used to not answer phone numbers I didn't know. But still got lots of repeat calls from the same numbers.

A little while back somoone posted about another phone scam. The person told what to do if they called.

So I decided to answer some of the die hard repeat offenders.

I got the exact scam call that was mentioned and knew exactly what to do.

I told them I knew they were a scam and if they called me again, I'd report them to authorities.

They never called again.

I now make a habit of answering and the first thing I say is "Take me off your call list and never call me again."

You would not believe how fast they hang up, I think they are trying to cut me off before I get to never call me again.

Anyway the number of calls have decreased dramatically.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I always answer the phone, even for unknown numbers. Used to getting all sorts of calls for the old job, so it's just a habit.

Lately, I've been getting calls saying they're a representative of such-and-such county in such-and-such state. I have a warrant, and they're pursuing me at my places of residence and work.

Half the calls are from places I've never been, such as states west of the Mississippi. So I know it's a scam right out. And I don't owe anyone money, not behind on my bills. So it's not like creditors or anything.

But they leave a case number and a return phone number, saying to call back and have everything sorted out and to set up payment arrangements.

Sounds like a similar scheme.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join