It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING!!! New Scam...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Really want ask the OP his perspective on recent events in america about police enforcement . So many questions but I won't dilute the thread

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Thanks a lot, man. I'll make sure to spread the word.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
There is a way to look up numbers that call you -
that's what I do. When a call from a number I don't recognize comes in, I don't answer it. Only occasionally does a message get left. I've listened to the message, and it's generally a computer thing.

I make a mental note of sorts of what the number is, and if that same number calls repeatedly, I'll go to "whocalledme" and type in the number.

It's a great way to find out what other people have experienced by answering.
www.whocalledme.com... is one. another is whocallsme.com...
Sometimes it's very entertaining to read the input from those receiving the calls.
Thanks for the heads-up, semper!

edit on 5/22/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
Thanks for the heads up. This is a scam my Mother might fall for. She is smart but she jumps the gun sometimes when it comes to me. I am active duty and I have been called for jury duty every time I am deployed or about to be deployed...never fails. She would likely send these chumps money if they said my name. So thank you I will call her in the morning to let her know not to fall for anything for which I will get lectured on how she is not so dumb...and talk about a pain in the backside to have to come up with a way to send orders to the court to show I am deployed or just on active duty...seems scanners and fax machines are not on the list to take to war.

The one that also really scares me because of its abject stone-hearted cruelty is when they pretend to be a grandchild in trouble or a friend of the grandchild who's in the ER or jail and in need of transportation money, or bail money etc. Be sure to warn her of that one too. The ones I've heard who fell for it said the voice sounded different, "but wouldn't someone in trouble sound different?" Bless them. I just wish these scammers would sit on a fire ant den.
edit on 22-5-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

JUST REMEMBER and PASS ON ALSO PLEASE

NO Law Enforcement or ANY other Government agency will call you and tell you that you have a warrant AND Then seek to resolve it with money..

No department I have ever worked for in almost 30 years, in 3 states, has ever authorized giving out warrant information over the phone.

The closest thing that would even remotely happen, is a detective has been known to call and ask someone to turn themselves in..but NEVER EVER ask for money..

Thank for the response you all!!!!!!

Breaks my heart when the elderly are targeted..

GO ATS!!!!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
My 85 year old neighbor got a similar call telling her she owed taxes and if she didnt wire them 750$ they were going to pursue charges.

They almost got her too but she called her daughter before sending the money and they figured out it was a scam.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thanks man.

Some people need a high five in the face.

With a chair.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Thank You ! And I will tell her to be careful. She is constantly dealing with the politicians wanting money so rarely answers her phone now, but I am afraid when she does someone will be on the other end attempting to scam her. Also worry when I am deployed else where that they will figure that information out and use it to scam her as well as others. Semper, not to hijack the thread but allow me to use this to remind everyone not to post information about troops deployment. Its a big problem on social media elsewhere nowadays and people can run all sorts of scams with that information and again thank you for giving everyone a heads up !

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

It's always good to have vigilant folk among us.

Luckily we are not stupid enough to fall for such scams but that doesn't include everyone. I used to get text messages stating that I'd won 10 million dollars in a lottery I never even entered for a country that I've never been to.

Some scammers are seven kinds of stupid but they are getting more sophisticated which is why I never answer the phone unless it's a number that I recognize.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I got a phone call from an Indian sounding woman saying she was with the computer store, and she claimed that my computer was setting off an alert. She worded it in a way that was extremely unconvincing, but for a split second I had to process it. For an older person who is confused about the internet and technology it's an easier scam.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Thanks for the heads up on this, I will spread the word.

Seems like there is a HUGE increase in phone scams. Is it just me?

I get the "your computer has a virus" scam every week or two.

I get that one at least once a week. A guy with horribly broken English tells me he's from microsoft, and there's something wrong with my computer. I told him if he wants to scam somebody, he better find someone that people can understand first. For some reason, he didn't stick around long enough to say goodbye.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Rule of thumb, don't trust anyone who asks you for personal information or money. Especially after they tell you something bad will happen if you dont give it to them. Keep this rule of thumb in mind, and you will never get scammed. It's that simple.

edit on 22-5-2015 by WeAre0ne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   

They then tell you that you have two choices; either report to the Sheriff's office and be arrested and bonded out, or "wire" them $980.00usd and they will not pursue the arrest anymore.

That's when you call their bluff and have them send the cops out to your house.

Although I highly doubt the police would actually show up.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Well thank you for the information, we get all kind of scams in my neck of the woods all targeting the elderly as they are the most vulnerable when it comes to money scams.

I don't answer the phone to phone numbers I do not recognize or that are not in my list, so scammers are telemarketers waste their time with my phone number.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Thanks brother.

Keep up the good work and stay safe out there.

edit on 22-5-2015 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
I always answer the phone, even for unknown numbers. Used to getting all sorts of calls for the old job, so it's just a habit.

Lately, I've been getting calls saying they're a representative of such-and-such county in such-and-such state. I have a warrant, and they're pursuing me at my places of residence and work.

Half the calls are from places I've never been, such as states west of the Mississippi. So I know it's a scam right out. And I don't owe anyone money, not behind on my bills. So it's not like creditors or anything.

But they leave a case number and a return phone number, saying to call back and have everything sorted out and to set up payment arrangements.

Sounds like a similar scheme.

That's a pretty good scam. The way the economy has been for the last 7 years you'd have good chances of eventually hitting people who actually were dodging old debts and fearful about it.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Boy they assume most people have a thousand bucks to just hand over. I sense it is not based in America.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 02:50 PM
link   
And here's another one about the (Canadian) National Do Not Call List, with today's date on the warning:

link

It just never stops, does it? Is it just me or are more and more people becoming more dishonest?
edit on 22-5-2015 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Thanks for passing this along!! I never thought I would be scammed but I almost was last year. It was the I.R.S. scam that was going around. I got a call stating that I owed x amount of money...well the odd thing was two years ago I got audited and the amount they were claiming was pretty damn close to the amount I paid. I had to go back and find my information about the payment because I was nervous that it was going to affect my credit. So after doing my homework I decided to put the phone number into Google because it was different then what I saw on the paperwork. That's when I saw it being reported as a scam.

I could see how an elderly person or someone who doesn't have access to technology could be had because they had me concerned for sure.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Shared on my Facebook page. Thank you!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join