It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WARNING!!! New Scam...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: semperfortis

Ugh! So sick of phone scams!!!

Thanks Semper for looking out for us. I'm going to pass on this link to peeps.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   
There was a letter some time ago which came to my parents, went along the lines of there bank account information was hacked so they wanted my parents to give them information on all there data so they could track it down, they even mentioned the CIA and other things in that letter so they can help track whoever it was down. It was pretty hilarious, but obviously a scam, even if it was real by some chance in hell, which is small chance at that, well nobody even your bank would be asking you for all those details on just how to access you account.

Some months ago there was even a caller with the same sort of thing, they were trying to chat me up and get me to give them all kinds of information I talked to the guy for over 10 minutes and it was just flufer, no way somebody who actually worked for the bank would draw out a conversation in so many round about ways to get you to give them your more important information over the phone. I eventually just told them not interested and hanged up, did not even want to mess with him, or call them on there bluff. Seems there are a lot of these sort of things targeting old people, its good to be wary of anything you get on the phone or in the mail now a days.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
FBI warned of this in 2006 so it's not really new.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
You know the thing I thought about here is that the scammers know that things are so bad right now with law enforcement vs public relations that even the normally staunch "my government wouldn't do that crowd" are even scared and don''t know what our beloved government can and can't do.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Thanx Semper,

Appreciate you not just looking out for us, but also emulating that there are still caring LEO's around!

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
My aunt was scammed back in 2013 with that phone call of someone wanting to sell you "Virus Protection" and how they needed remote access to your computer in order to install it. They claimed that it was a one time fee of $59.99 and you'd be "protected" for the rest of your life. Needless to say, she fell for it and they put keyloggers on her computer. Only reason it was discovered is because her computer broke down and the people at the repair shop discovered it all and asked her flat out "Have you gotten any phone calls lately from someone offering Virus Protection and remote access to your pc?" - They knew what happened just by seeing what was done to her computer.

...Luckily my aunt is oldschool and doesn't put any personal information on her computer.

I can't imagine how many people actually fell for this particular scam. A lot of people will never admit that they were scammed like this out of embarrassment. But people that are not computer savvy will be the ones that fall for it....

They called my house once and my dad answered the phone....I could tell the conversation was strange so I asked him who it was...I grabbed the phone and played mind games with them, LOL
edit on 22-5-2015 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Here Is A Website Discussing This Jury Duty Scam

....Or at least, very similar.
edit on 22-5-2015 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

What if I were to tell them to come by and pick up the cash, and then beat the snot out of the scamming bastards?

Would that be entrapment?

They wouldn't go for that and if by any slight chance they did they'd probably send some desperate person whom they promise to pay who is unaware of the scam. I doubt the real scammers would show up in person fearful it could be a set-up.

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Thanks for the share, I'll definitely be telling those whom I care about this nasty bit of garbage...

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
There's no shortage of scams out there. For the past 2 months I've been getting about 3 or 4 calls per week, a recorded message, that claim to be from the Sheriff's Dept and they will be around to arrest me for failure to appear in court unless I promptly return their call to discuss the matter. Since I don't answer when they call (don't know anyone in the 305 area code) they never say my name in their recorded message, probably because they don't know who they are calling. I searched the phone number and apparently they've been quite busy calling people. There were hundreds of complaints on many different sites.
edit on 22-5-2015 by Jana12 because: spelling error

posted on May, 22 2015 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Thanks for the heads-up. Guess the scammers aren't making that much money tricking people into thinking they have a "virus" and they will help them with their computer.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I looked it up then my net went out for a few. Apparently it varies a lot state to state with the charge being contempt of court like you said, hefty fines and jail time. Luckily for me I never tried to dodge lol.

This is going to sound weird but I actually look forward to it. I don't have much faith in my fellow man to make the right call, so I know that if I get to be on a jury I can atleast participate in seeing that justice is done.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74

I looked it up then my net went out for a few. Apparently it varies a lot state to state with the charge being contempt of court like you said, hefty fines and jail time. Luckily for me I never tried to dodge lol.

People skip out on Jury Duty all the time and never get into trouble. I've heard of people trashing their Jury summons and not even blink without any repercussions. I've heard them say "How would they even know that I got it? I'll just say I never received it if they contact me" - Honestly, I think it depends on if the overall pool of possible Jurors to pick from is small is when they'll take action on people who skip it without an excuse. Meaning, if TOO MANY people skip at once, then it becomes a problem for them and they'd have to act on it in that case. If its just a Juror here and a Juror there who skips, they wont feel the need to take action because they still have plenty to pick from.

But this is Texas that I am talking about. Some other states/areas maybe a lot more strict on people who just flat out skip Jury Duty without an exemption or excuse.

So if someone does skip Jury Duty by accident (which happens) or on purpose (also happens), then chances are, you wont get into any trouble. Now keep in mind, I don't condone it when people skip, but I am just throwing it out there that if you DO skip Jury Duty, that it doesn't necessarily mean you'll get fined or thrown in jail. Chances are, you wont even hear from them.

edit on 23-5-2015 by -Blackout- because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think anyone 65 or older can get an easy exemption for jury duty but if they can drive and have the time and are able to walk ok and think ok, I wouldn't mind if they did do jury duty so all the working people didn't get as many letters for jury duty. I actually thought the last time I got a letter, this isn't fair. Commit a crime and get a criminal record and you get exempted from jury duty. Don't show up and someone who never did time could get arrested. I think we need to change the laws adding criminals back to jury summons just as long as most of the jury are not criminals. Why should former criminals get an easy exemption? I say they should not. The prosecution team might not want a former drug offender on a case where they are trying to convict a drug offender though. As long as they don't know each other, I see no problem with it.

I wish all these scammers could be caught and locked up. I'm on a do not call list and still get scam phone calls.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 12:59 PM
link   
It'd be nice if the "Do not call registry" actually worked, but the problem is mostly with calls from outside the U.S.

*60 comes in handy for most landlines, but it only works on individual numbers and the amount of numbers you can block may be limited. I wish there was wildcard blocking as part of the service (and it would be easy for the phone companies to do this), then in my case the Island of Jamaica would be one of the first area codes to go on there. (Necessary be cause phone s(p/c)ammers tend to use multiple numbers.) Doesn't seem to be in the phone companies interest to actually do something about this problem which is a shame. (At least until almost everyone starts going to cellphones because of poor QOS on landlines, it'll bite them in the butt sooner rather than later.)

If you have an Android or iPhone, then lucky you - there are apps that allow wildcard blocking.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
Thanks for the heads up on this, I will spread the word.

Seems like there is a HUGE increase in phone scams. Is it just me?

I get the "your computer has a virus" scam every week or two.

me too... and there is theheavily accented Indian guy claiming he works for Microsoft and wants to repair your operating system, (Microsoft will never call people on the phone)....they will talk the person through a series of screens where they can acquire "remote access" and gather all your personal information that they want.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I get these sorts of calls on a fairly constant basis...

I owe money, or some such talk.

I usually tell 'em that I'd prefer to talk to them in person, rather than over the phone, since there are so many scammers out there...

*click*

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

Has anyone else here got the call that starts out with a recording saying you've won a free cruise to the Bahama's ? I get that one at least once a week. I think it's for a security system.

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: pauljs75
If you have an Android or iPhone, then lucky you - there are apps that allow wildcard blocking.

Is there an iPhone app to that blocks these spam calls and what is it? Supposedly if they get through and you get a new one you add it to the apps list. That way the community of people using the app phone spam list constantly updated.
edit on 23-5-2015 by thepixelpusher because: t

posted on May, 23 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Thanks for the heads up OP, these people are scum,
especially those that target elderly people. I just encountered
a pretty vicious scam recently myself.

Rebel 5

edit on 23-5-2015 by rebelv because: syntax

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join