It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congress Strips Women and Gays of Rights Under Guise of ‘Religious Freedom’

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

What I don't understand is why under anti discrimination laws it lists all the different catagories that apply like race, sex, etc. Why is it nessassary to list every possible group when you're not supposed to be discriminating against any groups at all anyway. Why do you have to list each one as if there are only some groups that you can't discriminate against while others are perfectly ok.

I mean what if I decided to discriminate against blue eyed people, or people 5ft and under, or people with size 11 shoes?? The list can go on for ever if you have to list every possible group. Why not just have it be no discriminating against anyone?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
As a gay business woman I would hate to have to cater to someone that I did not agree with spiritually or ideologically

The chunk of people in the LGBT community who are trying to shut down business and business owners do not speak for all of us.

I would much rather live in a society where I can choose who I do business with, rather then be told by my gov that I HAVE to do business w certain people or groups

Tolerance works both ways and you cannot legislate that.

The best that we can hope for and what we SHOULD be doing more of in the LGBT community is leading by example.

You don't meet intolerance with intolerance. Let the free market weed out the ignorant.

I don't want people telling me and my partner who we have to do business with and I don't expect anyone else, regardless to be subjected to the same.

The people in the LGBT community who are causing this Raukus are not doing the rest of us in the LGBT community any favors...

They above anyone else should know what it's like to be told how to live and be targeted. How they can do the same makes me ill

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Lgbtlivesmatter

Thanks.. I was really hoping this sentiment wasn't as wide spread as it seems.

Like in the case of the OP of THIS thread, this pertains only to private religious institutions like private catholic type schools and organizations that are religious like the Salvation Army.. It's No Guise - Link

When you start wanting to take away the 1st amendment rights of private religious institutions, it starts feeling like an all out war against what America stands for even..

Anyway.. thanks for saying.

edit on 26-4-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Out of curiosity what group of people do you choose not to do business with???

I do agree that the market should take care of it however it's not exactly that simple. You have no idea which business owner doesn't want your business until you make the mistake of going to them to do business.

Also, to be fair, let's be honest about what this really is. It's not about making businesses provide services for which you might have a reasonable objection. It's about denying service to LGBT people. Nobody else is being targeted by this and businesses have always had the right to deny service to someone on "reasonable" grounds. This is all about targeting one specific group of people by the Christian Right because they can't stand the idea of Gays getting Married.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It would be interesting to know your age group.

What generation you're a part of.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Actually it is that simple.

Business owners should be able to decide who to do business with

As for myself I don't have an issue offering services to anyone.

However if during business proceedings I hear someone speaking of gay people in a tone I don't like I should be able to terminate my contract immediately.

Every business owner should have that right. Full stop

And for the record I am also CHRISTIAN *gasp*!

You're doing the same thing that the militant people in our community are doing , you're labeling groups of people "Christian right" and in turn perpetuating just another brand of bigotry because you don't like the fact that they have a belief system.

Look if they want to operate like that that's their business and I'll be happy for mine to thrive while theirs falls by the way side.

I still refuse to meet intolerance with more intolerance , it serves no purpose

edit on 26-4-2015 by Lgbtlivesmatter because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:22 PM
link   

It's a good question - I imagine it started with groups that tended to get treated pretty badly on a regular basis - like blacks. Blue-eyed people just don't get discriminated against very often I guess. But you're right - no one should be discriminated against.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Why does my age group matter? Does it somehow make my viewpoints less relevant?

I can already sense what is about to happen .

People who aren't gay or aren't part of the culture are going to try to downplay my viewpoint

It happens a lot which is why it's so hard for gay people like myself to speak the truth and common sense of the issue.

And for the record I'm 40 and my partner is 35

Again, every person should have the right to serve who they choose.

Let the Bigots die off unrecognized.

Perpetuating intolerance in response does nothing to fix the issue.

Lead by example

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter

People who aren't gay or aren't part of the culture are going to try to downplay my viewpoint

It happens a lot which is why it's so hard for gay people like myself to speak the truth and common sense of the issue.

So you're from a younger generation then me. Almost half my age.

Reminds me of the woman who fought for equal rights, and the young women today who take it for granted.

Discrimination today is mild compared to what it used to be. The reason for that is laws preventing it.

A lot in today is taken for granted.
edit on 26-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter

So you're from a younger generation then me.

Reminds me of the woman who fought for equal rights, and the young women today who take it for granted.

Discrimination today is mild compared to what it used to be. The reason for that is laws preventing it. It's taken fir granted.

I'm 40 and have spent my whole life rallying do my cause...

And you have the nerve to try and discredit me?

Please.

Are you part of the LGBT community?

You just don't like what I have to say because it doesn't tow the "hate anyone who doesn't like us" line

I'm sorry that myself, my partner, and our group of people not only push for tolerance, but also lead by example

I think we do a huge credit to those who came before us by doing so.

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind

We just won't stand for it equal rights means freedom for everyone to live their life and their businesses as they wish, so long as it harms none.

Hurt feelings don't count. Honestly many out there could stand to toughen up a little bit and learn to love through their own intolerances

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Business owners generally have no problem serving anyone. It's just that few business owners seem to single out gay people to discriminate against. If it's for religious reason they why don't they have problems with other people? There seems to be a disconnect there.

I do see what you are saying. Business owners should be able to refuse the right to serve anyone - but only if it's reasonable. You serve to the public, you serve to the public period.

The chunk of people in the LGBT community who are trying to shut down business and business owners do not speak for all of us.

Really? Where? When? Who?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

You aren't being hateful, discriminatory against Christians, you aren't bitter and divisive.

So you will be discredited.

Sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

A business already can refuse to do business with someone if they have a reasonable excuse for why they can't. No new legislation is needed for that.

These Religious Freedom laws are being put in place so that Religious pricks can discriminate within their business for arbitrary reasons with impunity.

If you really want the ability to discriminate against certain groups of people in business, how would you feel about having businesses put up signs in their store stating which groups they refuse to serve??? That way it's clearly visible so members of that group or others who don't support such bias business practices can then avoid those places.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The quotes got all screwed up. Starting over.
edit on 26-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

You aren't being hateful, discriminatory against Christians, you aren't bitter and divisive.

So you will be discredited.

Sorry.

Oh please...Enough with the pity party, persecution attitude all the time. Nobody is discrediting her for what she's saying.

I actually like that she's here to give her opinion. I'm interested in her position and would like to ask her some questions.

I'd like to discuss this without the implication that we are all here to hate and subvert the Christian way of life. Is that possible??? Not everything is an attack against the Unquestionable Christian Ideals you know...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I don't believe they are singling out anyone. I believe the media has singled THEN out.

All they decided was that they wanted to operate their business by their own principles.

It's our own LGBT community that has singled them out and tried to put them out of business and hurt their families.

Most of us would have just gone on to other businesses, but some w in our community would rather light fires than find peace.

No one would have heard of any of these places had they not tsrgetted them for tier own purposes

That simply cannot be denied

They didn't seek out gay people not to serve.

The gay people came to them and were turned away , in most cases KINDLY trust me I know I read up on it.
None I'm not for business spreading hate or actively trying to target people.

But how can some sit here who aren't even a part of our community and dare to tell us we should destroy those shop owners? They have no dog in this fight.

Again. It's people in my own community that tsrgetted them, not the other way around

Truth is truth

I've run my business for 20 yrs in Houston w little issues, I feel they should have the same right

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   

I know, it's just. . . um. . how did you put it.. "religious pricks" have all these icky "faith" issues that must be repressed, denied, ignored.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Pitty party?

Let me ask. Are you part of the LGBT community?

If not then don't presume to tell me how I should handle this, we have done it our whole life.

You're a prime example of how bad this is gotten, when those of us in the community choose to stand up for those we don't agree w on the grounds the intolerance has no place on either side.

And you don't like it?

Ask yourself if that's so offensive to you, maybe it is YOU who have your head wrong about the issue

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I sent you a message..

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Oh no no no he was not referring to you. He was talking about the pity party by certain Christians.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join