It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congress Strips Women and Gays of Rights Under Guise of ‘Religious Freedom’

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
It’s Going National: Republican Congress Strips Women and Gays of Rights Under Guise of ‘Religious Freedom’

The House of Representatives just voted to revoke the Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Act, which would mean that women living in the District of Columbia can be fired from their jobs for using birth control, having an abortion, becoming pregnant by in-vitro fertilization, or simply becoming pregnant out of wedlock if it offends the religious sensibilities of their employers. At the same time, the Republican-controlled House is repealing the Human Rights Amendment Act, which would allow religious schools to discriminate against their LGBT students

It’s the next battle in the efforts by Republican Christian evangelical extremists to forcibly impose their beliefs on the rest of America, with very alarming theocratic implications. They know that the majority of Americans don’t believe in their archaic and repressive 18th-century vision of twisted morality and mandatory piety, but are unable to recognize that America has moved on, into a new age where human potential and expression are not restricted by extremist’s overbearing efforts at social control

Freedom is one’s right to live their lives as they see fit, to make the choices that they choose to make, free from the judgement of others. Freedom does not give you the selfish right to force people around you to change their lives just to suit your own particular vision of the world, especially when their actions do not affect you in any way.

Why are they so afraid of progress?

+47 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   
And these people have the nerve to complain about Sharia law taking over America. As long as it's Christian law it's fine to drive America back to the stone age just as long as it isn't Muslim law. Too bad the founders aren't around to slap some sense into these delusional nutcases.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Look to the voters and where they live. Sane people should avoid them. They hate everyone.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Until congress is an actual representation of the country all this regression means is its about money. I don't believe the representatives believe in anything or represent anything but their own bank accounts.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
As I understand it, Obama can (and will) veto this attempt.

Regardless, people need to spread this around and show exactly what the Republican party stands for - they'll hope they can make their point without getting media attention for this, people need to prove them wrong and make sure everyone knows what they've attempted to do, and how they want to dictate their religious beliefs to the rest of America.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
IDK. The whole "baker doesn't have to make a cake for the gay couple" is on thing. I can understand both sides of that. But this may be pushing it too far.

As long the person's private life doesn't affect their work performance, that's none of the business's GD business.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this. Don't be so "biggoted".
..there is right and wrong...no kind of sort of, right and wrong...
edit on 24-4-2015 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

That's it - politicians should be outlawed.

Delusions of grandeur from Backwardsassville strikes again

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   

LOL...Occupy Democrats Dot Com?

edit on 24-4-2015 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

You don't see anything wrong with someone being fired from their job because their employer thinks they are acting immorally on their own time doing something completely legal???

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Has anyone actually found the bill numbers or the actual legislation?

The cherry-picked parts might be interesting to read.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Sit back and watch the fireworks. Cause in the end what this is going to do is cause more problems for those who pass this, than what they would intend and ultimately they will cry and seek to remove this law.

You see the thing is that they pass these laws in an attempt to hurt, and restrict, and when it turns around and is used against them, they cry and try to back pedal. All it is going to require is a good quick lawyer to turn the tables and watch them squirm.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Has anyone actually found the bill numbers or the actual legislation?

The cherry-picked parts might be interesting to read.

I think they are talking about these.

Bill for termination of employees

Bill about Religious Schools turning away LGBT students

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22

LOL. Cute.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here's an interesting point of view....

another 1st Amendment battle?

Just before the Christmas break, the D.C. City Council passed a law that could force pro-life organizations to pay for abortion coverage. But that wasn’t the only piece of bad legislation, violating religious liberty which came out of the D.C. Council in December.

A new bill might force Christian schools to recognize an LGBT student group or host a “gay pride” day on campus.

Here’s how: In a unanimous vote on Dec. 2, the D.C. Council approved legislation that revokes religious liberty protections that Congress passed for the District back in 1989. The Orwellian titled bill—“The Human Rights Amendment Act of 2014”—eliminates an important protection for a key human right: religious liberty.

Government Shouldn’t Force Religious Schools to Violate Religious Beliefs

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
What progress are you talking about exactly? Moral decay?

No one is taking away your right to kill babies.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:02 AM
link   

A blog is your source? That's it? That is all?

Ok.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

A blog is your source? That's it? That is all?

Are you serious? They have sources right there and many more sources within links. Go back and read.

Took me two links from the blog to this for example: oversight.house.gov...

[edit] - Never mind it seems that I was mistaken. To err is human lol. They didn't vote on it but are voting and trying to get it passed.

edit on 4/25/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/25/2015 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

you do realize bills have to actually be passed first, right?

Nevermind. I get it. "THE CHRISTIANS ARE COMING THE CHRISTIANS ARE COMING!" lmao... #ing weak.
edit on 25-4-2015 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph

Nevermind. I get it. "THE CHRISTIANS ARE COMING THE CHRISTIANS ARE COMING!" lmao... #ing weak.

LOL I didn't bring that up. I am just telling you that there are links and sources in the blog.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join