It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congress Strips Women and Gays of Rights Under Guise of ‘Religious Freedom’

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I am honestly speechless at the giant reaches the people on this thread or having to make to try to justify the intolerance that they show towards people who have a different belief system and they do all while trying to say that they are doing it in the name of tolerance.

I'm also speechless by the fact that there are those on this thread who are trying to make me sound like the one who's in the wrong here when I #ed my whole life for the gay community being a gay woman with my gay partner and trying to tell me that I'm wrong because I will not display the same hatred and bigotry that they do towards people who don't believe it the way that they do.

News flash you're part of the problem

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter
a reply to: Annee

It doesn't do anyone any justice to target businesses and families and people to destroy because other people tell us in the gay community we should be outraged.

The bible, Mark of Ham, was used to treat blacks badly and discriminate.

No. I absolutely do not support religious belief as a right to discriminate.

THEY destroyed their business themselves, by refusing to serve a customer for no reason other then their sexual orientation.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Lgbtlivesmatter

hahahaha

Get used to it.

Rationality is dead.
Respect is dead.

Extremism, polarizing ideology, and veiled hatred has become the mainstay.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

but I can see why a private religious school feels like they should be able to admit whoever they would like into their private school, and I can see why Hooters wants to discriminate to an extent during employment..

But those things are already protected and nobody is trying to change that. Nobody, that I'm aware of, is trying to force "Religious Institutions" to do something against their Religion.

Bakeries aren't Religious Institutions. A bakery with a Religious Owner doesn't make it a church, just like a church that has a bake sale doesn't make the church in to a bakery.

BTW, your Hooters example is also not the same thing. That is an Employer/Employee situation not a Business/Customer situation.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

But you clearly support sexual preference as a means to facilitate more bigotry by inflicting unjustness on those who don't agree with YOU

simply you're a hypocrite

Again my partner and I and many of those of us in the LGBT community simply will not be a part of your hatred and bigotry

Despite who it's on

Welcome to the new way to fight intolerance, by showing compassion and tolerance in the face of it ::kisses::

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I can see why Hooters wants to discriminate to an extent during employment

Yes I can see why LOL

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

you keep forgetting the OP of this thread is specifically about religious institutions.. and yes.. they are apparently a target with the whole "guise" of religion thing..

I don't think private relgiious institutions are under any religious guise.. they are quite open about it..

as for individual businesses.. there are times.. would you force a gay baker to make the cakes for an anti-gay day rally? Would you force a black baker to make KKK cake for their rally? Would you force a veteran who just had their parents funeral protested at to serve Westboro..

sometimes we ought to be able to say no, if a thing truly and honestly bothers us..

and for us intelligent people to keep such a small freedom, it means that we have to occasionally tolerate those we DON'T happen to agree with..

but then, when we don't agree with a thing.. we don't have to give them our money either.. its called freedom..

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

How is it considered Extreme or Hatred to simply ask businesses to treat all their customers the same when that business is open to the public???

I mean, if I go to buy a suit should I have to clear it with the guy selling me the suit when or where I can wear that suit??? If I plan to wear my new pants to a Gay wedding is it reasonable for him to not sell them to me because of where I'm going to wear them??

Keep in mind that this is targeted toward the Gay community also. That is very clear. So can you explain to me why serving a Gay person is any different than serving anyone else within the capacity of doing some kind of business that you would do for anyone else off the street???

Like the pizza chick recently who made big waves with her anti-gay marriage thing. How is serving pizza at a Gay wedding going to be different than any other wedding?? How is it against God to serve a Gay wedding but ok to serve a wedding to a mixed race couple, or a multi divorced couple or some other sinner Wedding??? Because it's also the inconsistency which makes the whole argument sound like BS.

Also, what do you have to say about all the Christian churches who aren't against Gays or Gay weddings??? Why are the Anti-Gay Religious folk correct while the Pro-Gay Religious folk are wrong??

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Ch ristian Man Asks Thirteen Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional Marriage Cake, And Is Denied Service By All Of Them

Denver baker sued for refusing to write anti-gay slogans on cake

It seems that issues like this will never be decided conclusively one way or the other.

Every case will be decided individually.

Also, there are enough advocates on both sides, pro gay folks and pro religious folks, to aid and abet each side in this little war going on.

The religious side must learn that there are often cultural changes and (beyond doing good to people and forbidding direct evil to others) religious law also changes with culture and times…
For example, if that were not the case we would still allow slavery and stoning since the scriptures and tradition of Western religion sanction both. Religion and culture are every close.

And the non religious people have to learn to respect people of faith within the limits of what cultural norms allow.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lgbtlivesmatter

But you clearly support sexual preference as a means to facilitate more bigotry by inflicting unjustness on those who don't agree with YOU

simply you're a hypocrite

Again my partner and I and many of those of us in the LGBT community simply will not be a part of your hatred and bigotry

Despite who it's on

Welcome to the new way to fight intolerance, by showing compassion and tolerance in the face of it ::kisses::

My discrimnation experience was Physical Disability.

"We can't serve you because it might make other customers uncomfortable"
"You can't enter this business because the floors are slippery"
"We can't serve you because there's not enough walking room between chairs"
"Your metal brace might scrape the furniture"
"We believe polio is contagious, we can't risk it"

"Why don't you take your 10 pound metal brace, crutches, 3 screaming brats ---- and walk 3 blocks to the next business. Maybe you'll get lucky"

If supporting forced equal rights and non-discrimination makes me a hypocrite, so be it.

I don't support a business owners belief that polio is contagious gives them the right to discriminate. Even if Jesus told them personally.

edit on 26-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Sadly there was probably one thing that could have been done to diffuse this whole situation.

Not suing. That just backs people into a corner.
Not protests. They polarize.
Not legislation. that doesn't benefit anyone.

The gay couple should have done the one thing that would have shamed the Christian owners. They should have done the one thing that would have embarrassed them, humiliated them.

They should have forgiven the baker.

They should have shown that Christian or not, that better people forgive.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB

as for individual businesses.. there are times.. would you force a gay baker to make the cakes for an anti-gay day rally? Would you force a black baker to make KKK cake for their rally? Would you force a veteran who just had their parents funeral protested at to serve Westboro..

But we already have laws for this. If someone takes you to court and you have a "reasonable" excuse for why you couldn't serve them you're perfectly fine.

These new laws are a sneaky way of establishing impunity for those who want to act against others for "unreasonable" reasons.

Why should anyone question whether or not they are welcome at an establishment that is open to the public and all they want is the same service as anyone else would get??? They aren't asking for anything extra or out of the ordinary. Whether they are Gay or Straight or Transexual or a Martian from the outer moons of Vaxar shouldn't matter should it??

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

All of those cases are about writing slogans which falls under artistic freedom, but it is being reviewed. The title to one of your articles is wrong because she isn't being sued. A complaint was lodged and it was under review. She had refused to write hurtfull messages, but was willing to bake and cake for them.

I am not real familiar with the case in Ireland, but I am fairly sure it doesn't apply the US law.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Why don't people just love what this country is supposed to stand for?

I LOVE this country... I love the constitution and all our rights... people in other countries spend their lives dreaming about having such freedoms as we have here..

and so many people want that freedom simply gone.. the dream is here, its real... don't legislate it away!

should gays have the same rights as everyone else, the right to marriage and all that entails? Yes... Are all men created equal according to the constitution? Yes.. and so it should be..

the constitution is a thing of beauty.. I just wish people would quit hating it so much!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

I totally agree with your there. None of this was handled correctly and getting Gov. to pass more laws or sue people into ruin is a bit nasty and uncalled for. The problem is that there isn't much else that can be done within the framework of Government and law once they are involved.

All civil disputes basically come down to that. If I do something wrong to you, legally you can sue me for it, but that's about it.

So I'm with ya there. This whole thing has gotten crazy. But it also goes well beyond bakers and cakes and a few Gay couples trying to get married too.

Right now there are members of Religious Institutions and Political Groups who have clearly stated that if the Supreme Court rules in favor of Same Sex marriage that they will refuse to comply. That includes official Government positions as well. It also includes a couple of GOP Presidential Candidates too who have actually signed a petition that they will refuse to comply with the Supreme Court of the US. That is crazy.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
Sadly there was probably one thing that could have been done to diffuse this whole situation.

Not suing. That just backs people into a corner.
Not protests. They polarize.
Not legislation. that doesn't benefit anyone.

The gay couple should have done the one thing that would have shamed the Christian owners. They should have done the one thing that would have embarrassed them, humiliated them.

They should have forgiven the baker.

They should have shown that Christian or not, that better people forgive.

You do understand if there is a state non-discrimination law that is violated and reported.

The state sues the business.
edit on 26-4-2015 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   

and most of it is popularity candidate posturing - playing to who they think will garner them the most votes..

I am voting libertarian this time.. its our only hope..

but if a minister of a church believes that it is against his religion to perform a marriage ceremony, then that is his religious freedom to refuse.

but I have officially decided both the democratic and republican parties are beyond repair.. hopefully enough others will agree and we can see what a third party candidate might do..

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi
a reply to: Willtell

All of those cases are about writing slogans which falls under artistic freedom, but it is being reviewed. The title to one of your articles is wrong because she isn't being sued. A complaint was lodged and it was under review. She had refused to write hurtfull messages, but was willing to bake and cake for them.

She won.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I can see why Hooters wants to discriminate to an extent during employment

Yes I can see why LOL

]

Do you realize how many times hooters has been sued for discrimination? LOTS! They usually settle out of court..

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Government cannot force religious institutions to recognize gay marriage.

That would be a direct violation of the 1st Amendment.

Now government can recognize gay marriage, but it cannot force religious institutions.

Since I've been on this site, I've been an advocate of gay marriage and equality.

But as a Christian, I also recognize the equality afforded to those of us that practice a religious faith.

Respect is dead.

If you cannot respect a religious ideology, yet profess to respect others, then you are admitting to bias.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join