It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congress Strips Women and Gays of Rights Under Guise of ‘Religious Freedom’

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

We do love this country and we love Freedom too. I especially like the Freedom to go about my business without being held accountable to some Religious Rules of which I don't even belong.

I understand that when I'm in a Temple or Church that certain rules apply that don't apply elsewhere. I also understand that while in public areas certain rules apply. That's the way it's been for a while now and everything seemed to go pretty smooth. Being judged and having your personal life scrutinized was done in church while in public you are seen as a faceless, colorless, etc. person like any other.

I loved that Freedom of Separation which is now being taken away. That Freedom is important too.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

Do you realize how many times hooters has been sued for discrimination? LOTS! They usually settle out of court..

Oh I am sure. My post was tongue-in-cheek. That episode of King of the Hill was partially about discrimination in place of employment.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Why those dag gum mean strait conservatives and mostly men. LOL What a spoof.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:06 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Nobody is saying that religious institutions should be forced to comply against their beliefs.

Right here we are talking about businesses (actually more accurately as per the OP it's about discrimination in places of employment).

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Nobody is saying that religious institutions should be forced to comply against their beliefs.

Yet.

Right here we are talking about businesses (actually more accurately as per the OP it's about discrimination in places of employment).

Yes, forcing catholic/religious businesses to pay for birth control and abortions.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I don't expect Religious Organizations to view Gay Marriage as legit. You're correct, they don't have to. A pastor has every right to deny giving a ceremony too and I wouldn't want to change that. There are some other christian churches who will and some that won't which is confusing and weird since I would think they would all follow the same general rules, but that's for them to figure out. Like I said earlier, I'm counting on those within the faith to correct what others within that same faith are doing. It's not for me to deal with as I'm not a member and have no say in internal policy within the Church. That's for you guys to figure out and get everyone on the same track.

However, outside of those Religious Institutions it's another matter. Outside it's secular and it's that way for a reason. Because you can't cater to One Religion over another or over the non religious. Therefor to protect them all equally you have to have a neutral position. Until all Religions agree, which won't ever happen, the public arena must say indifferent to all of them. Which is secular. By secular I don't mean Anti-Religion either. I mean neutral, neither for nor against.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

But I cannot go into a Muslim bakery and have them make a cake with the picture of the prophet on it because that goes against their religious beliefs.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

In OP

The House of Representatives just voted to revoke the Reproductive Health Non-Discrimination Act, which would mean that women living in the District of Columbia can be fired from their jobs for using birth control, having an abortion, becoming pregnant by in-vitro fertilization, or simply becoming pregnant out of wedlock if it offends the religious sensibilities of their employers.

Yes, forcing catholic/religious businesses to pay for birth control and abortions.

Maybe I am missing something? But then again I am drunk lol.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

But I cannot go into a Muslim bakery and have them make a cake with the picture of the prophet on it because that goes against their religious beliefs.

Only if it's something they don't do for anyone else.

Which they don't.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   

That is not in dispute here.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Yet.

I understand your concern. Governments aren't to be trusted and they often overstep things as we both know. But I promise you, should that day come where Religious Institutions are being forced to go against their beliefs I'll stand right by you and fight that the same way I'm fighting this. I believe in Religious Freedom as it's directly tied to Freedom of Thought. But I also believe in the Separation of Religion and Gov. too. I don't want the Gov. telling Religion what to Believe any more than I want secular society to be subject to any Religious Authority.

So I see what you're worried about and I have the same concern. But as far as I know that isn't happening....yet. But if it does I'll fight that right along with you.

link   

If you cannot respect a religious ideology, yet profess to respect others, then you are admitting to bias.

You had me agreeing with you up until that.

I can respect people I can even accept them for who they are, be that good or bad, but I do not believe ideology should be afforded the same.

I do not know anyone that respects all ideologies and I am fairly sure I have seen you not show respect to some ideologies.

Saying people and ideologies should be both be respected as equal does not compute. Hopefully, I am just misunderstanding you.

link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

So you clarified.

Ok.

Religions cannot dictate their religious beliefs?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Yet.

I understand your concern. Governments aren't to be trusted and they often overstep things as we both know. But I promise you, should that day come where Religious Institutions are being forced to go against their beliefs I'll stand right by you and fight that the same way I'm fighting this. I believe in Religious Freedom as it's directly tied to Freedom of Thought. But I also believe in the Separation of Religion and Gov. too. I don't want the Gov. telling Religion what to Believe any more than I want secular society to be subject to any Religious Authority.

So I see what you're worried about and I have the same concern. But as far as I know that isn't happening....yet. But if it does I'll fight that right along with you.

I hear that, and yet I have serious doubts.

Sorry, but I do.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

I can show respect to everything.

I can also dislike whatever I wish.

Respect and liking are not mutually exclusive.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Only if it's something they don't do for anyone else.

Which they don't.

Muslim bakeries don't decorate cakes?

Bull.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

This thread is about them trying to pass a law (or bill) allowing employers in Washington, DC to fire anyone due to their religious beliefs.

Of course this thread expanded to discuss about businesses that discriminate against customers but never mind that.

Is it ok for employers to fire the workers because they used birth control? Or anything else that are against employers' religious beliefs?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Yet.

Then they should only hire Cathloics or workers of their religion.

Oh, wait a minute, that's not legal.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I hear that, and yet I have serious doubts.

Sorry, but I do.

That's fine, you can doubt me, I accept that. Should I not make good on my promise you have every right to call me out on it too.

But I don't want Gov. telling people what they can and can't believe any more than you do. I'm sure I have beliefs that others might not agree with and I still want to be protected to have them and I expect others feel the same.

We both know I don't agree with your all of your beliefs. But I do agree that you have every right to have them. Just like I have some beliefs that I'm sure you don't agree with, but I would hope you would defend my right to have them as well, even if you personally think I'm crazy to believe them myself.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Then they should only hire Catholics or workers of their religion.

Oh, wait a minute, that's not legal.

LOL

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join