It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Charleston cop charged with murder after video surfaces of him shooting man in the back

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Flint2011

The thing I noticed most of all was how casual and complacent the Patrolman was upon discharging his weapon at the alleged perp and then proceeding to casually approach him.

Because we are looking at a sociopath most likely.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You know.... this whole thing presents very unique look into use of lethal force.

Remember, it's not like this video was available in real time.... it was given to the victim's family afterwards.

You have the police officer's report and a lot of details about what transpired between the time the man was killed and when the video became public.

There are two different versions.... the officers report of events prior to the point the video became public and the reality that the video shows.

This is more than one cop deep you can bet on that.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RickinVa

It provides a unique opportunity to see how corrupt police departments are.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
One good thing that may come of this.

The USA cant hide from police brutality now.

This case has not just shot to top of the US media but its global.

Most brits have never heard of Eric garner.

But within a day everyone here has seen this this blatent murder,

The cats out the bag.

If its caused mass shock here it must be causeing waves over the pond right?

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

The cat has been out for quite a while. It's whether people want to look at the cat. Many don't because it requires making a fair decision and then taking action.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: johnwick

You need your eyes checked. I have watched it in both standard and high def and I see it in both.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Those 'bad apples' are not nearly as rare as you like to think they are.
If I would hazard a guess It would be around 1 in 5 that is waiting for the chance to kill someone.

If not for the person filming this would have never been found out.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 04:59 PM
link   
When I saw this on the news the first thought in my head was 'they are going to nail this guy. Firstly, it is clear cut murder. Secondly, this is a chance for the authorities to throw the book at him and say 'hey look we do deal with the bad guys' and paint themselves in a pretty light. I bet there was some PR guru somewhere cheering the opportunity.

His family had the dignity to come on TV and state that not all cops are bad, but there are bad ones. That says everything you need to know. I hope he is treated like any other common murderer and the deceased man's family get justice. He has disgraced his uniform and robbed another man of his life in the process.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Now reported on CNN that he was hit 5 times, 4 in midsection, once in ear.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
a reply to: Flint2011

The thing I noticed most of all was how casual and complacent the Patrolman was upon discharging his weapon at the alleged perp and then proceeding to casually approach him.

Because we are looking at a sociopath most likely.

Yah...If I was assigned to investigate I would have a team searching this cops back yard for buried bodies, see if he had any ex-wife's that disappeared etc. He shot this guy 8 times in the back literally like it was a walk in the park.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
From personal experience on the 'right' side of the law, I know that there are more bad apples than good ones.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

This was clearly a bad, bad shooting. The officer is being charged appropriately. I am glad that his wife's insurance is being carried until after the child is born.

What about the elephant in the room?

Why is there never any discussion about why the individuals are resisting arrest? Had he just allowed himself to be arrested, 2 families would not be destroyed.

There is never, ever, discussion about the person being shot doing the right thing.....

I have survived to the ripe old age of 60, and plan to live longer, by simply not being stupid. I will not invite some jerk to shoot me.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
One other thing...I do not believe this would have been passed as a "good shooting" due to the perp being shot in the back.

There is no way one can be threatening an officer and get shot in the back.... unless the guy was running backwards lol

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Throw him to the wolves.

đź‘Ł

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Lets look at the sobering truth. The first fact is that cops have killed well over 6,000 Americans since 9/11.Many of these killings have occurred during no-knock raids, which have risen by 4000% since the 1980s. To put that in perspective, Iraqi insurgents have killed around 3,500 Americans in Iraq since 9/11 in Operation Iraqi “Freedom.” That’s to say, Americans killed by cops now outnumber Americans killed in the Iraq war. You are fifty-eight times more likely to be killed by a cop than by an actual “terrorist.” Domestic violence is four times more common among police families than American families in general. Reports of police committing sexual assault amounted to more than 2 times the reports in the entire general population. If officer-involved killings were prosecuted as murder, the murder rate for law enforcement officers would exceed the general population murder rate by at least 472%. And here is something crucial to keep in mind: these statistics account only for the reported incidents. The vast majority of police misconduct and abuse is unreported. Police often lie in their reports, or never file them in the first place, to avoid prosecution. Thus the numbers reported above are extremely conservative estimates. The number of Americans in prison now exceeds the number of high school teachers and engineers. There are at least 7.3 million Americans locked in captivity or under federal control as you read this, the majority of whom are non-violent. One in 25 of your fellow Americans were arrested as of 2011. Let that sink in for a moment. The US has only 5% of the world’s population, yet 25% of the world’s prison population. The US has the largest prison population in the world.

Still: “The the majority of police,” we are assured, “are good.” What precisely does this claim amount to, in light of the high rates of abuse I described? All of that abuse continues while “good cops” follow along, do what they’re told, and cover up for the “bad cops.” The reality of the situation is that the institution itself – the institution of a police force monopolized by a government — is inherently lawless. Good does not exist within these walls. Cops as a class of individuals who receive government paychecks regardless of their behavior, they have little responsibility and even less incentive to report misconduct in their own ranks. No matter what they do, no matter how many they abuse, and no matter how silent they are about the abuse, the institution itself puts them in a privileged position where they are rarely held accountable to the same degree that citizens are. Even if, let’s say, the Good Cop were to start reporting and arresting the Bad Cop — which never happens and never will happen due to the incentive structure that is set up — but even if it did, one must still consider what our friendly Good Cop does on a daily basis. How many people has Good Cop arrested for a victimless “crime” like possessing cannabis? How many fathers, mothers, sons, and daughters has Good Cop locked in a cage for this “crime”? How many times has Good Cop stolen money from the pockets of hard working men and women over frivolous, victimless traffic violations? “But he’s got to feed his family,” we hear. Yet how much food has he stolen from the table ofother families? Most of us manage to feed our families by honorable means — that is, without resorting to the initiation of violence and theft on our fellow citizens. There are perhaps infinitely many honorable ways to feed one’s family. Nobody is forcing these individuals to choose a dishonorable way.
LEO’s do whatever his/her superiors tell him to do, keeping his mouth shut when he sees his colleagues beating citizens, softly wrecking lives with theft, coercion, and imprisonment for victimless crimes – that is the legacy of Good Cop.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
One good thing that may come of this.

The USA cant hide from police brutality now.

The cats out the bag.

If its caused mass shock here it must be causeing waves over the pond right?

Maybe, but there has been plenty of media attention about police shootings in the last few years. I don't know if this one is going to be any different. It almost seems like they play this stuff up on purpose just to prove that no matter how angry the public is they will still keep doing it. There are times when I wonder if every case the media reports on isn't just a scare tactic to let us know that resistance is futile. Nothing seems to change.

I'm scared of cops now. I'm more scared of cops now than I was when I was on meth (a loooonnggg time ago, just sayin). I'm not doing nothing illegal or even immoral and I am more scared of the "authorities" now than when I was doing things that were illegal (and immoral I suppose). I'm scared to get pulled over. I'm scared to carry too much cash on me because even that is suspicious (and it will likely get confiscated). I'm just scared of cops. They act belligerent and they train them to be belligerent and violent with little to no legal accountability for their actions.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Civilians (to think we have to be CLASSIFIED into a group is disgusting enough) should start and operate their own PUBLIC CCTV system, controlled by the PEOPLE for the PEOPLE.

They don't like us recording with phones, no problem, stick them on buildings. Cover the entire city with them.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, no?

Think of it as NEIGHBOURHOOD watch

edit on 8-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DarthFazer

Yeah..we should eliminate the police force. Nothing good happening there....

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgentSmith

originally posted by: ObjectZero
a reply to: AgentSmith

There was a warrant out for the guy. He got stopped for a broken taillight. The reason for the warrant was back child support payments and was put out by family court. The guy didn't want to go to jail and be forced to make the payments it seems. While the guy might have been no saint, it still does not clear the cop from shooting him in the back. A warrant is only to take them in not kill them on the spot.

Of course not, I didn't say it was justified. I'm quite rightly asking for all of the details and would like to know all of the facts, it scares me that there could be people potentially on jury's that don't think this is important.
Out of curiosity, if he had acquired the cop's gun and fired at him because he didn't want to go to jail and make the payments would that be OK?
How do we figure out how big a law you can break or how much force you can use against a cop to avoid the penalty for a more minor offence?

You are also quite wrongly making unsubstantiated assertions when calling purely for facts. You know when you 'think': "I think that maybe the suspect did get hold of the taser perhaps at first and the cop became angry, perhaps he even managed to shock the cop with it. He wrongly fired on the man if he was no longer armed out of anger..." It's patently clear he wasn't armed, and your idiotic attempt at presenting a counterfactual (the above part where you honestly ask out of, er, curiosity if it would be OK to kill the cop if it meant avoiding jail and back payments) is absurd and genuinely disgusting. Calling for facts first, but then opining on what you 'think', is the worst case of talking out of both sides of your mouth I have read/heard in some time.

What's worse, is you lament the potential jury lacking in details and facts of the case, where you just simply believe you have the capacity to not delude yourself with preconceived notions that may lead one to fill in the gaps without all the facts. Like that part where you 'think' the dead man had the cop's taser.

Brilliant.

posted on Apr, 8 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

You just described what our govt is SUPPOSED to be.

But our consitution is toilet paper.

Jefferson had it right: It is time for the tree of liberty to be watered by the blood of tyrants and patriots alike.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join