It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: caladonea

"Let them eat cake"

Didn't work then....isn't going to work now.
edit on 6-4-2015 by IslandOfMisfitToys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
As someone who grew up in and out of homeless shelters and wondering where his next meal would come from, let me explain what being on food stamps for someone in that scenario is like for the benefit of those who haven't been there or haven't tried to imagine what it feels like.

This is speaking of people who are actually IN this scenario, mind you. So I hope no one responds with the frequently used trope, "No, these people have cell phones and live fat off their benefits, and are simply lazy." I'm talking about people who actually NEED these programs to survive. Please limit responses and thought processes accordingly.

Even with food stamps, even shopping at the cheapest locations available to you, you're often hungry. You are limited as to where you can shop for food to begin with, as you have no car. You often have to choose between electricity, rent (because you can't ever hope to afford a mortgage or a home of your own,) toilet paper, soap, and food. You rarely buy clothes, even at thrift shops and the like, because as long as you have some scraps to cover your nakedness, that's a luxury you can't afford.

Even with food stamps, sometimes emergencies or other scenarios make you run low on money for food, so you eat at soup kitchens. There you may actually get some of the best nutrition you've had in a while, and it feels absolutely heavenly. Actual meat and potatoes and gravy are you kidding me? The relief is enormous.

There is no cable TV. Some rabbit ears if you're lucky. There are no cell phones. There is no internet. There are no mp3 players, CD players, tape decks, stereos, or other musical apparatuses. Your life is a day to day survival. You're depressed. You feel hopeless. You feel like this is a situation you will never get out of. There are few escapes. Some books from the library perhaps. If you're a child, perhaps a local rec center of YMCA. If you also have chronic health issues that preclude that, well... you basically sit or lay and stare at the wall or a snowy TV signal.

You are mentally beaten down, hopeless, nihilistic, and often traumatized, especially if like many of our nation's poor, you live in a terrible, violent, drug addict riddled neighborhood. Because that's where society sends you if you're an "undesirable," such as someone without enough money to be "presentable" or have "good credit."

So, when through some combination of luck, happenstance, and effort you end up with a little more breathing room than you ordinarily would, do you horde your every last foodstamp or cent? Hell no. You're not that rational. You're broken down with grief and hopelessness and sometimes even malnutrition. So no. You buy a steak, or some macaroni and cheese, or maybe a small frozen pizza. Because this might be the only time in months or a year you'll have the opportunity to do so, and it's the only relief or escape you've had in months. Maybe you take in a cheap matinee, or buy your child the cheapest example of an action figure they've asked for for years that you've never been able to provide them with Christmas after Christmas.

That's what being poor in America is actually like. If anyone has a problem with it... experience it first. If you haven't experienced it, no one cares about your condemnations or judgments. They're too busy trying to survive and, just as importantly, stay remotely sane and desperately search for some small modicum of happiness.

Thankfully, I am no longer in that situation. I am truly blessed. We are still "poor," but not truly poor as we were when I was younger. But I will never forget what it was like. And I will NEVER judge those in the same situation or worse for their coping mechanisms. Because you just don't know unless you've lived it. And I doubt most "lawmakers" have lived it. Just saying.

Peace.

I have lived this off and on since my childhood.

You called it exactly right.

"God forbid the poor actually seek and aquire every great while what we privileged live every day".

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Threads like this always make me think I'm doing it wrong. I get $680/month in income, which here in Ohio after the most recent round of food stamp cuts comes to $42/month in food stamps.

In the past I posted a picture of two weeks of groceries, on food stamps here. But that's when I got over 100/month. At $42 it's a bit less. These days I essentially have two meals. On the days I get to splurge I eat a salad (spinach, carrots, celery, green peppers, onion, egg, cheese, with oil/vinegar dressing). Those come to about $3 each so it's an every three day thing on average. The other days I eat a bowl of jasmine rice which is closer to 25 cents. The remainder goes to some other things, I get 1 teabag per day and I buy plain unsalted almonds, and raisins eating a small handful of each per day.

On the idea of buying luxury foods for special occasions my birthday comes up in a couple weeks, for the fifth birthday in a row there will be no cake, no ice cream, no special dinner, not even a birthday twinkie. Those types of things only happen extremely rarely.

I'm sure someone here will disagree with what I choose to spend mine on, but that just makes that person the same as this man who wants to ban steak/lobster which is a completely ridiculous concept. Once you open the door to allowing the government to dictate what money they give you gets spent on, they'll do it everywhere. Not just to the invisible poor people.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 07:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: AceWombat04
As someone who grew up in and out of homeless shelters and wondering where his next meal would come from, let me explain what being on food stamps for someone in that scenario is like for the benefit of those who haven't been there or haven't tried to imagine what it feels like.

This is speaking of people who are actually IN this scenario, mind you. So I hope no one responds with the frequently used trope, "No, these people have cell phones and live fat off their benefits, and are simply lazy." I'm talking about people who actually NEED these programs to survive. Please limit responses and thought processes accordingly.

Even with food stamps, even shopping at the cheapest locations available to you, you're often hungry. You are limited as to where you can shop for food to begin with, as you have no car. You often have to choose between electricity, rent (because you can't ever hope to afford a mortgage or a home of your own,) toilet paper, soap, and food. You rarely buy clothes, even at thrift shops and the like, because as long as you have some scraps to cover your nakedness, that's a luxury you can't afford.

Even with food stamps, sometimes emergencies or other scenarios make you run low on money for food, so you eat at soup kitchens. There you may actually get some of the best nutrition you've had in a while, and it feels absolutely heavenly. Actual meat and potatoes and gravy are you kidding me? The relief is enormous.

There is no cable TV. Some rabbit ears if you're lucky. There are no cell phones. There is no internet. There are no mp3 players, CD players, tape decks, stereos, or other musical apparatuses. Your life is a day to day survival. You're depressed. You feel hopeless. You feel like this is a situation you will never get out of. There are few escapes. Some books from the library perhaps. If you're a child, perhaps a local rec center of YMCA. If you also have chronic health issues that preclude that, well... you basically sit or lay and stare at the wall or a snowy TV signal.

You are mentally beaten down, hopeless, nihilistic, and often traumatized, especially if like many of our nation's poor, you live in a terrible, violent, drug addict riddled neighborhood. Because that's where society sends you if you're an "undesirable," such as someone without enough money to be "presentable" or have "good credit."

So, when through some combination of luck, happenstance, and effort you end up with a little more breathing room than you ordinarily would, do you horde your every last foodstamp or cent? Hell no. You're not that rational. You're broken down with grief and hopelessness and sometimes even malnutrition. So no. You buy a steak, or some macaroni and cheese, or maybe a small frozen pizza. Because this might be the only time in months or a year you'll have the opportunity to do so, and it's the only relief or escape you've had in months. Maybe you take in a cheap matinee, or buy your child the cheapest example of an action figure they've asked for for years that you've never been able to provide them with Christmas after Christmas.

That's what being poor in America is actually like. If anyone has a problem with it... experience it first. If you haven't experienced it, no one cares about your condemnations or judgments. They're too busy trying to survive and, just as importantly, stay remotely sane and desperately search for some small modicum of happiness.

Thankfully, I am no longer in that situation. I am truly blessed. We are still "poor," but not truly poor as we were when I was younger. But I will never forget what it was like. And I will NEVER judge those in the same situation or worse for their coping mechanisms. Because you just don't know unless you've lived it. And I doubt most "lawmakers" have lived it. Just saying.

Peace.

Well said!

If only for a minute or 3 out of a Month someone can feel like a King, or at least half-way human and buy a cheap steak and a can of beer to feel normal for a little, I will never complain that my tax dollars did that for them.

I'd much rather give a fellow human being a moment of normality and peace than have those same tax dollars go overseas in the form of a bullet or into a politicians pocket for their high end steak any day.

That's what taxes should be for IMO.

Peace

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I got an EBT card a few years ago when I didn't have a job, even after I got a job I still used it for a while. When I tried to cancel it, it took an act of congress. First, they gave me way way too much money, it was like 200 a week. Then I had so much left over I was buying cases of coconut water, expensive cheese and things I never would have spent my own money on. I was even buying steaks for my dad and his wife who doesn't need any money. I think they have a point, I don't think they want to starve anyone, its not like that, they are trying to keep people from doing what I did. I could have easily bought food and sold it as well, even traded it for drugs if I wanted to. It just isn't fair for working people to stand in line behind someone who has more expensive quality foods for free but the working person cant afford it, its just not fair. Also, there are help wanted signs all over the place here and no one is taking them, why would they, free food, phones and who knows what else. The politicians need to also do something about low income parents receiving thousands in income tax returns that they didn't pay in simply because they have kids, I cant afford kids, mainly because my taxes are so high, where are my taxes going ? to pay for other peoples kids and their schools, why do I have to pay school taxes if I don't have kids ? It just isn't fair that I should have to pay taxes to support other peoples children to the point I cant afford my own really because they had theirs first. To me this broken system begs people to overpopulate and not get a job.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I'm torn because I know good people use the stamps responsibly but, I also know more than a few bad apples that brag about free money while they play the system. I think I know of more abusers than legitimate users and that's sad to say. The problem is sifting through them better...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
THe problem with "public assistance" is it is abused. Not by all who have to go on it, but a damn large portion. True story here. About 5 years ago my 17 yr old step-son ( who at time was abusing drugs) went to DSS and applied for public assistance....hey got it. $ 200 a month on an EBT card. All the while he had a place to live and food to eat. I know I was footing the bill. He did this without his mom and I knowing.

We found out what he was up to. He would simply go hang out at the grocery store, wait till he saw the right mark. He would approach this person and for .50 on the dollar he would sell that cards value. Then go get his drugs. Trust me he aint the only one doing this. Ive stood in line and watched folks pay for one cart full of groceries with EBT card and the second cart full of all the things your not allowed to purchse with it and pay for that with cash. That's abusing the sysyem.

BFFT is correct. Once it's given, your say is mute. When you can figure out a way to stop the abuse, then the system may work correctly..until then no. I turned my step-son in and he lost his benefeits....it was the right thing to do on my part.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I work in retail. There's allot of people that do need help but the majority I witness on welfare are over weight and have nicer cars than I do. They all get completely junk for their four kids, nothing but sugar, soda and chips and red meat. That would probably be the best thing that could happen to people that abuse the system.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Well, you better shred your credit cards with this outlook. Don't buy anything with credit, because if you don't have the cash in your pocket, then it is a SPLURGE! I get sick of hearing people complain about people spending their food stamps on this or that yet they have a $600,000 house that they can't afford, a $25,000 car that they can't afford, name brand clothes that they can't afford, etc...

I suggest a law that does not allow people to buy things with credit that are above their means. If you want to SPLURGE for your birthday or wedding and don't have the cash then it should be dictated by the government that you are not allowed to use credit for those things. Because in the end, your living beyond your means costs me, the taxpayer, big money when the government has to bail out the banks that covered that credit.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
And they are ALWAYS the most rude and selfish people.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Flesh699

I almost starred this post out of agreement that these Republican lawmakers are the most rude and selfish people. Then saw your previous post. Wow!

When my two oldest children were toddlers, their "father" walked out on them, moved to another state, and didn't help in any way. He left us two months behind on utilities, took the only vehicle that we had, and left me destitute. After fighting for help, because he lied about sending money to them, we finally got some assistance through food stamps. I wasn't and have never been rude to retail people. I was slightly overweight due to not losing the weight I gained while being pregnant with my son. I bought healthy foods for my children, but did buy them occasional cookies and treats. Luckily, I met my husband and was able to get off assistance due to him being a good man and supporting children that were not his own.

I also worked in retail for many years as a cashier and then a front end manager, and dealt with many rude customers in my day. The grocery store was in a poverty stricken area in our town. I never noticed that food stamp recipients were any more rude than anyone else. In fact the most rude people were the young single people that didn't want to wait in line behind families with full carts or elderly that wanted to have a pleasant conversation with one of the few people they would be able to interact with that day.

Also, you may not realize this, but a large percentage of people on food stamps are the elderly. Most worked hard their whole lives paying in the taxes that fund food stamps, yet people feel that they should tell these seniors that fought our wars and raised our population that they can't have a damn steak or cookies!?!

edit on 6-4-2015 by moonleaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
Rick Brattin a Republican lawmaker in Missouri...does not want people who get food stamps to be able to eat, steak, lobster, cookies, sodas. He says and I quote "that people are abusing the system by purchasing luxury foods, and believes that that must be stopped, even if it ends up requiring the inclusion of other less luxurious items."

So...poor people according to him should not be able to enjoy a cookie or some seafood etc.

Link to article: www.washingtonpost.com...

What are your opinions on this ATS?

I personally feel that people on Food Stamps should still have the freedom to buy what they want to buy.

When someone else is footing the bill, you shouldn't have the freedom to buy whatever you want to buy.

The purpose of the program is to keep people from malnutrition and starvation. Buying unhealthy junk goes against that principle.

Secondly, buying expensive luxury items makes the food stamps go much less father than it would otherwise. Quite often people splurge on the first day of the month and then complain when they have nothing towards the end of the month.

If they made wiser choices, they would have more to cover the entire month--but wise choices is not something that population is known for.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: moonleaf

Well, you better shred your credit cards with this outlook. Don't buy anything with credit, because if you don't have the cash in your pocket, then it is a SPLURGE! I get sick of hearing people complain about people spending their food stamps on this or that yet they have a $600,000 house that they can't afford, a $25,000 car that they can't afford, name brand clothes that they can't afford, etc...

I suggest a law that does not allow people to buy things with credit that are above their means. If you want to SPLURGE for your birthday or wedding and don't have the cash then it should be dictated by the government that you are not allowed to use credit for those things. Because in the end, your living beyond your means costs me, the taxpayer, big money when the government has to bail out the banks that covered that credit.

That's not logical. Someone with a credit card is accruing debt, not spending other people's money.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   
i have no qualms with assisting those in need. we might find ourselves in such a predicament, as yet unforeseen.

help trumps hatred.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   
OVER HALF OF PEOPLE ON FOOD STAMPS WORK...but they still can't afford to feed themselves on top of the bills...

So all you people with this attitude, 'why should all these lazy people who don't want to work be able to buy stuff I can't afford with MY tax dollars.' Your tax dollars? Over half of people on food stamps work! Their tax dollars too!

And raising wages is totally unacceptable too! You're not gonna be able to get paid enough to pay bills and eat, but keep working anyways and then we'll give you # for subsidizing your food WHICH YOU CAN'T AFFORD despite the fact that you work.
edit on 6-4-2015 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: caladonea
a reply to: ketsuko

That is just it...with many Seniors...they did work for many years...paid their taxes...get Social Security and some food stamps...they did pay their taxes and earned their money...it should be no one else's business what they buy with their food stamps or money.

Ever think that these seniors might have more in their own savings if they didn't have to pay taxes to subsidize someone else? What we have here is circular logic--they got taxed to support someone while they were working and so now we have to tax someone else to support them.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
We have Healthy Start vouchers for Pregnant women and those with kids under 5:

With Healthy Start, you get free vouchers every week to spend on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, and infant formula milk. You can also get free vitamins.
...they were brought in as the only way to ensure healthy food was bought for young kids instead of alcohol and cig's, although the system is still abused, I formally reported a small store near me when I witnessed the owner trade vouchers at less than value price for cigarettes a couple of years ago, scumbag mother and scumbag store-owner.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Personally I don't see why it matters what they buy, they are allotted x amount, if they wish to spend it foolishly, we are suppose to police that?

Because we are supporting them and the whole idea of the program is to keep people from starving and it is foolish to continue the irresponsible behavior that got them in the situation in the first place.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
So the hypocrites that love to champion the conservative cause of smaller government and more personal freedom, want to create a set of authoritarian laws that tell people on welfare what they can and cannot buy.

? That's nonsense.

When someone else gives you money and support, they have every right to demand that this money and support is used wisely and not wasted.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: NavyDoc

Maybe you should have read my ENTIRE post. Or maybe this would be helpful:
en.wikipedia.org...

People living on credit can and have cost the taxpayers quite a bit of money. That one bailout was equal to about 10 years of food stamp spending.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join