It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missouri Lawmakers Don't Want Food Stamp Recipients To Buy Steak

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:57 AM
link   
a reply to: MonkeyFishFrog

Great point. Government subsidy (welfare) needs an overhaul in the business sector as well, not just food stamps.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

That it definitely does. No argument here. I've really enjoyed this discussion. Has been very civil.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Yes! This is the kind of stuff that brought me to ATS.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
This is one more example of just how stupid people are that get elected, and the people that elect them.

He and all Americans that voted for all of these handouts by voting for the people making these entitlement laws do not get to decide what foods are off limits. Any person who thinks it is their hard earned money that allows some irresponsible street bum to feast on lobster is also another example of stupid people.

It took a majority to elect these morons, so if someone has a "beef" (pun intended) with what people are eating, or don't like when they see food stamp recipients buying up all the junk food and candy, then they should go take a big stick to the asses of those voters out there that made it all possible. Not punishing those poor people for eating new york steak.

And yeah, this IS how stupid people really are. They have a majority vote for food stamps, and then when they see the recipients eating good they cry foul and want to target the people receiving the benefit rather than own up to how stupid they were by voting for all these entitlements in the first place.

That republican deserves a real head bonking for even suggesting this change and needs to be written some letters explaining how his solution doesn't fit the cause of his problem. But explain it like you explain to a child because he is obviously an idiot.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:11 AM
link   

There definitely needs to be a fix but I think there are better ways around it. This bill really feels sensational and blown a bit out of proportion.

I think an under used and sought resource in helping to solve some of the problems are in the people who were on income assistance/food stamp programs and then managed to get back on their feet. They are the ones who could provide valuable insight on not only improvements to the system but also about unforeseen obstacles that may have kept them on longer than necessary.
edit on 4/6/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: Late night grammar problems for this Canadian

edit on 4/6/2015 by MonkeyFishFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Yeah I agree, I don't think this bill is quite the reform it needs. It just doesn't quite sit right with me.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I wouldn't mind a system that flags suspicious activity for an audit and canceled benefits for people found to be using it improperly.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Either way I think I have added everything I can to the thread. Here's to hoping a rational solution is found that bans the vodka and keeps the water.

link   

No, this bill reads petty to me. Like an assumption that if a person is on food stamps they must be sucking back 2L bottles of Pepsi in line with a cart full of cookies and pretzels. And even if they were purchasing less healthy, processed items, it's not fault of their own... it's because chances are per ounce/gram you get more. It comes right back to quantity over quality when you scrape by check to check.

link   
As for me I try to avoid food stamps like the plague, even though I have been on them before. I tend to put off getting food stamps until completely desperate. I don't like using money that's not mine to eat. Sadly I'm currently in a position where I'm stuck doing just that, which I hate.

I may just have to try and get back on food stamps whether I like it or not, I don't know... I'm not being pressured or anything, but I hate being too big a burden, and I'm much less of one right now taking from the state I've paid into in the past than leeching while I job hunt off my friend.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I wouldn't mind a system that flags suspicious activity for an audit and canceled benefits for people found to be using it improperly.

Me either, that I'm ok with.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

That is fair. I have no problem with finding the few defrauders and kicking their asses to the curb. It is just unfortunate that right now people tend to believe it is the majority rather than the minority and because of that false belief, they are out for blood.

Thank you for participating in the thread. I think we did ATS proud by having a really good and civilized debate over a heated topic.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: MonkeyFishFrog

That is fair. I have no problem with finding the few defrauders and kicking their asses to the curb. It is just unfortunate that right now people tend to believe it is the majority rather than the minority and because of that false belief, they are out for blood.

Thank you for participating in the thread. I think we did ATS proud by having a really good and civilized debate over a heated topic.

Me too, you all were awesome, I'm glad we had this civilized debate all of us, gives me hope.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

It goes to show you how wrong our society is that people feel shame and guilt over needing help and would rather go without than to ask for some temporary relief. Part of being a society and social is to help each other out, not demean each other when we fall on hard times. No matter how short or long those times are.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Without that shame and guilt, I might just leech forever. I personally think that shame and guilt I feel shows I care and am not just a person who takes from others without caring.

I never lend anything I'm not willing to lose. I've never asked for a cent I've "lent" to others in hard times cause I've been there myself. Still that doesn't mean it cost me nothing to lend it. So even if something is given willingly with no expectation of having it returned, I feel bad, because I know I'm still benefiting from someone else's hard work.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   

True, but I also think there shouldn't be too much guilt or shame to the point where you're made to feel less than. We all pay into the system not only for other people but on the chance that we might need to make use of it one day ourselves. It just so happens that not everyone who pays into the system will need it but it is comforting to know there is a net there.

Well, I'm going to head off to bed. It was great talking with you too, sharing experiences and commonalities. Hope you have a good one.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

The Ron Finley Project;
www.abovetopsecret.com...
I made this thread that went absolutely nowhere ,but here in lays workable alternatives to food impoverishment
growing your own,even providing employment will piggy back this thread with the above vid.
If folks want lobster be creative and create lobster farms all im saying think out side the box.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:40 AM
link   

You too, I'm overdue for bed myself, thanks again for the great conversation, night.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 02:55 AM
link   
5 surprising things you can buy with food stampsa reply to: KeliOnyx

•Red Bull

•Sugary Soda

•Candy

•Mixes for alcoholic beverages

•Artificial sweetener

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I think at least One part of the true agenda is to have those of the "lower class" eat less nutritional food, with more "unnatural additives" so that they lead shorter lives, have lower IQs and become weaker with each generation and therefor become more tractable or easier to control through various methods.

Look at those born wealthy, most live longer, healthier lives, those in their 70s look and are healthier, stronger and more confident than those who are in their 40s and had to live on burger mince and noodles. Healthy hair, clearer skin, better teeth, stronger bones, more active brains even in old age, more productive lives for longer and even when they get sick in old age, they still recover faster and get better results from therapies.

Maybe I'm wrong and a bit biased, but I can only point out what I see with my own eyes.
edit on 642015 by AkaDeDrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join