It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black woman to white friend of over a decade: " Of course you're a racist!"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   
At then end of the day Black people have been victims of racial abuse for generations, the experiences being passed down to younger generations constantly remind us of the things that have occurred, my moms 37 and in her youth she was treat awfully. She was attack and chased, verbally abused and left out of most groups throughout her childhood, she used to tell me that she would beg God to turn her white when she prayed. If you're between 18-21 odds are it was your parents generation that was doing these things. My moms just one black woman in the UK who grew up not only black, but also went through the experience of being in an interracial relationship with a mixed kid at age 17. She's just one of many with stories like this. The only thing that can solve this race problem is time.

Even in this day age lots of us still experience some kind of racism, though it's less in your face than assault, I've still had people try make diggs about my race and colour. Though in my experience it's nowhere near what it used to be like. We just need more time for those old wounds to heal, my gf is white and she hates when black people call non-racist white people racist, but after talking to her we both came to an understanding. The wounds left from our ancestors are deep and both races will have to learn to be patient with each other.

OP you don't know what happened to these people to make them feel that way, but if you ask I'm sure you'll find there's a reasonable reason for it, then if you wanna help your friend heal those wounds you can offer her some insight into your racial perception as a white person, this will probably help them see the individuality of people instead of the stereotypes of races.

Hope that helps, just be patient, things are getting better

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
a reply to: Vasa Croe

They did it first. Got it lol.

Black people go after that first guy! he is the reason.

Well...he IS the reason the word "slave" is even used, so yeah....he set the precedent and had it on record.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I think I'm going to pull the BS flag on the OP. If the OP was close friends for 10 years and this all of a sudden came out like they said, what the hell have they been talking about for those tens years? My black friends and I treat the whole color issue as a joke among friends, because we are friends...real friends.

The people who have issues on both sides are that way because they self segregate to cause the us/them mentality. As I said, when you have true friends there is no wall, no issue that will not be talked of....

I truly think the OP made up the story to create some kind of bigotry scenario....

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

And my point is that it is irrelevant to me who was "the first" to do what. My point is that regardless of who was first, people of all races, for thousands of years (and to this day, btw) have kept slaves. It is due to HUMAN greed....

Humans have been, and continue to be, a greedy self-serving species....for the most part.

These same people claiming what the lady from the OP claimed (yeah, I see it all the time online, that sentiment) often also ignore (or are ignorant to) modern day slavery, and how they themselves in fact help perpetuate it....
....truth is, MANY people ignore it....and choose to only discuss the slavery of yesteryear. But, it is what it is.

Society is, for the most part....built by the enslaved. At the very least, the enslaved fuel societies around the world (making all that disposable sh*t we all love)....

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Delusional!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
The definition of racism is as follows : the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

To say that all white people are racist is in effect racist. It is assigning the trait "racist" to all white people.

Think about it

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero No,once again I did not make this up. I hadn't seen Steph in a couple months and we hadn't hung out in awhile since I got married. Now that I'm separated I get out a little more often. We were hanging out at the local watering hole having a drink with a few others and I was mainly bitching about my soon to be ex wife. Steph and I,as well as her cousin, her husband, her brother,nieces,nephews and other family members have been friends and/or accquaintances for years. My mixed family members don't think I'm a bigot and neither did any girls of different ethnicities that I have dated,opinionated yes, racist no.

Also, I don't think she even considered that I might be bigoted, I think that may be a separate concept in her mind. That is something I will have to ask her about.

edit on 3-4-2015 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jahari

Delusional!

Care to expound on that? I would say delusional is not teaching or knowing the actual history of the term slave and where it started, yet arguing it is a white man issue. Since it was first made by a black man, delusional would be denying that fact.
edit on 4/3/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Therefore, only colored people could be slaves, and that is how the stereotype for African-American slavery was born. It was not based on an ancestral hatred of blacks by whites, but simply on the fact that blacks were the only ones selling slaves, and they were selling people of their own race. (To be precise, Christians were also selling Muslim slaves captured in war, and Muslims were selling Christian slaves captured in war, but neither the Christians of Europe nor the Muslims of Africa and the Middle East were selling their own people).

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: abe froman

You gotta understand this is these folks narrative. At some point some dumb parent ruined these people . They gave em the classic coming of age everything is whiteys fault speech. And what it means to be "black".

These people??..whiteys fault??. never had that coming of age speech ,the speech I had was set goals and see them through, you never get rich working for someone else, just about isn't good enough, be respectful to elders, family first and wear clean draws before leaving the house.
edit on 3-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I have discovered that just saying your reasoning for things no matter where it goes and no matter what it takes, just saying things as frankly as they just called you a racist, is the best policy.

I just go WAAAAY there and lay it all down. Truth doesnt hurt when its not true so you need to show them that, and sometimes even your friends need a kick in the figurative ass.

You basically validate it unless you contest it tooth and nail. Principle is everything in trust. I would say to your friends that you are disappointed in them for succumbing to the same mentality that racism stems from. One of artificial division that depends on the dehumanization of a fellow human being. They just made you feel different and applied a stereotype to you....and I would make a bad huge stink about it. I would crap on their living room floor if it would help them realize their retardation.

You need to address this. It will only get worse. People change and they seem to have enrolled into the modern day American retard school of thought. You need to not spare them if you love them.

I would ask them if their mother thought you were a racist like they do and if their mother would appreciate them making you feel the way they did.

SAY YOUR MIND. These are the people you call friend to which you can be yourself with, or not. I never understood entertaining false friendships or loose acquaintances you dont care about or are cared for by.

Either they are your friends or just other people. You really need to get that straight.

edit on 4 3 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

slow hate is so random. eyes wide shut.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Here is a non-American view of this race issue.

Now I was travelling on a business meeting and was working with people from the middle east and we travelled to Boston, such a wonderful lovely place, one of my favourite places in the US actually. People are so welcoming, warm and open. We saw this bargain store with cheap luggage, we were travelling and bought some nice luggage to take home.

We walked through the park in Boston, lovely park, and I was in front and them behind me..

You can guess how people reacted, they reacted like they where my slaves (I only realised this after flying back home because these concepts and way of thinking are so alien to me I never got it then). Thinking back on this, it wasn't an issue for us of course, we never even once considered this. But it really hit home how much of a problem you guys have with race. I still never understand that to this day.

Why?

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Therefore, only colored people could be slaves, and that is how the stereotype for African-American slavery was born. It was not based on an ancestral hatred of blacks by whites, but simply on the fact that blacks were the only ones selling slaves, and they were selling people of their own race. (To be precise, Christians were also selling Muslim slaves captured in war, and Muslims were selling Christian slaves captured in war, but neither the Christians of Europe nor the Muslims of Africa and the Middle East were selling their own people).

Off course they did, during the so-called Children's Crusades that failed miserably,Christ Knights and priest marched those poor starving kids across Europe and sold them to the Muslims in the warm waters of the Mediterranean, An African King of Kenem Bornu with the title and name of Mai Idris Alooma had slave Turks and regularly enslaved encroaching Arabs who crossed over his borders uninvited, he himself was a Muslim reported to have sold them south for transport to the new world.
edit on 3-4-2015 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bullcat

How do people in a park react as if your business associates are slaves? The state of Massachusetts abolished slavery in 1783...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

How do people in a park react as if your business associates are slaves? The state of Massachusetts abolished slavery in 1783...

Yeah I know lol, but it is something I remember from their facial expressions, I didn't get it then but reflecting I see it.

It felt weird.

This concept of racial hatred is really very alien to me.

edit on 3-4-2015 by bullcat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I think you might have been reading their faces wrong. It's more likely these people enjoying the park were feeling anxiety related to islamaphobia, the Boston bombing, etc. or nothing at all, and it's all in your head.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I think you might have been reading their faces wrong. It's more likely these people enjoying the park were feeling anxiety related to islamaphobia, the Boston bombing, etc. or nothing at all, and it's all in your head.

Oh no not at all, it was clear as day on their faces.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Oh no not at all, it was clear as day on their faces.

This has nothing to do with the Boston bombings as this was around the year 2000.

It however is something I still remember to this day.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Many conversations with people have led me to believe many individuals are subliminal and unknowing racists, I see this all the time, as soon as they take a stance of supremacy and status, I mean in any sort of conversation, most of the time the root context is a racist , superior context but unfortunately in most instances most people don't even realize they are offensive and wearing racist beliefs on their sleeves, I have actually spoke to people before that say things that sometimes I ask myself does this person actually realize I am a person of color? and what they are saying is highly offensive but they continue talking and I just act like I am not offended, I wonder how many people do this? I don't make a deal of it at all but I have to wonder to myself, most individuals do not realize they are racist.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join