It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black woman to white friend of over a decade: " Of course you're a racist!"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: Xtrozero No,once again I did not make this up. I hadn't seen Steph in a couple months and we hadn't hung out in awhile since I got married. Now that I'm separated I get out a little more often. We were hanging out at the local watering hole having a drink with a few others and I was mainly bitching about my soon to be ex wife. Steph and I,as well as her cousin, her husband, her brother,nieces,nephews and other family members have been friends and/or accquaintances for years. My mixed family members don't think I'm a bigot and neither did any girls of different ethnicities that I have dated,opinionated yes, racist no.

Also, I don't think she even considered that I might be bigoted, I think that may be a separate concept in her mind. That is something I will have to ask her about.

Abe maybe you didn't make it up only you know that for sure but, I've participated in some of your threads and posts and they almost always struck me as race baitish if not down right racist so maybe your friends had a point, the fact that they remained friends may just reflect that one negative flaw, kinda like the friend who act like a jerk when he drinks, but kool in all else.it is possible to be friends with people who deals in negative stereotypes and broad generalizations,who none the less treat you as an individual.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I think what has happened is that through various means of social programming most black people now see slavery and suffering at the hands of Whites as their sole identity. It's the victim mentality and it's easy to buy in to, everything is someone else's fault, including my feelings. I don't have to take responsibility for my feelings, thoughts or even actions as "black rage" is being excused and encouraged at the same time. It's why it's so rare for a Black to be charged with a hate crime (i.e. racism), because they can't be racists because they are black. Tortured logic to be sure but a thought generally accepted in Black society and the MSM.

It stifles everything the civil rights movement stood for and flies in the face of every sacrifice made to gain freedom and equality. It's still the age-old trick of playing one group off against another; black against whites against latinos against liberals against conservatives blah blah blah.

WHY DO WE KEEP BUYING INTO THIS GARBAGE?
We are not separate races but the great 99% underclass of all colors being manipulated by the very wealthy at the top so they can maximize their profits at our expense. We need to identify ourselves as Americans first no matter our color and the ideals of freedom should be our guide.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: Jahari
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Delusional!

Care to expound on that? I would say delusional is not teaching or knowing the actual history of the term slave and where it started, yet arguing it is a white man issue. Since it was first made by a black man, delusional would be denying that fact.

I said racam is a new white American invention. Prove me wrong and then we'll talk. Respect!

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   
I always thought that some of the most ridiculous things I ever heard was the following statements: Black people can't be racist, Racism is only from whites against blacks but not the other way around, people are born racist.
There are many misconceptions and double standards about racism that are held by some in the black community that are laughable.
Honest dialogue between different races, cultures, and ethnicities can help dispel the misbeliefs. They are formed amongst people of the same background without a discussion with the people who they are based upon. It's oftentimes an uncomfortable dialogue but also a necessary and beneficial one.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Dude you sound like you searching for a reason to justify slavery! Slaves is a staple in human history. But never has it been about race. The first black guy had a slave? You sir are naive and downright brainwashed by the yes men and women of our culturally water downed and alienating country. Did he beat, rape and kill his slaves? Did he separate husband from wife? Mother from child? Light from dark? No!

You've owed dogs I would assume. So did Micheal Vick! Food for thought.
edit on 3-4-2015 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
I think what has happened is that through various means of social programming most black people now see slavery and suffering at the hands of Whites as their sole identity. It's the victim mentality and it's easy to buy in to, everything is someone else's fault, including my feelings. I don't have to take responsibility for my feelings, thoughts or even actions as "black rage" is being excused and encouraged at the same time. It's why it's so rare for a Black to be charged with a hate crime (i.e. racism), because they can't be racists because they are black. Tortured logic to be sure but a thought generally accepted in Black society and the MSM.

It stifles everything the civil rights movement stood for and flies in the face of every sacrifice made to gain freedom and equality. It's still the age-old trick of playing one group off against another; black against whites against latinos against liberals against conservatives blah blah blah.

WHY DO WE KEEP BUYING INTO THIS GARBAGE?
We are not separate races but the great 99% underclass of all colors being manipulated by the very wealthy at the top so they can maximize their profits at our expense. We need to identify ourselves as Americans first no matter our color and the ideals of freedom should be our guide.

The Slavery issue is only of importance as it relates to a starting point, it is the post slavery issue that kept most black folks on edge, if America had used the opportunity to clean up the issue post slavery,today's AAs would be like what slavery??..that was along time ago hardly worth mentioning unless it was apart of your history class, but that's not what happened decades after decades of abuse and ill treatment with the predictable cycle of poverty.
Two guys going in for a Job interview one black one white both equally qualified both have butterflies fluttering in their stomach along with sweaty palms.. they are both seated in the hall eyeing each other..while I can't say what the white guys is thinking but the black is thinking damn..I don't think it's gonna be me. unfortunately that's a reality born out by studies have this repeated over and over again and you start to settle for less or walk away period.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Pathetic thread.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Most people confuse racist with prejudice. Everyone is prejudice, but it's rare that someone is truly racist. Not all Black people claim African heritage, so what is a race at this point? Is it actually racist to lump all Black people as African American in the United States?

I know I harbor prejudice versus the thug culture that exists with some youth. I harbor those feelings regardless of their ethnicity. It's impossible for me to be racist, because races don't actually exist, the entire concept of races is actually racist. We all belong to homo sapiens sapiens.

edit on 3-4-2015 by Stuship because: ...

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stuship

Most people confuse racist with prejudice. Everyone is prejudice, but it's rare that someone is truly racist. Not all Black people claim African heritage, so what is a race at this point? Is it actually racist to lump all Black people as African American in the United States?

I know I harbor prejudice versus the thug culture that exists with some youth. I harbor those feelings regardless of their ethnicity. It's impossible for me to be racist, because races don't actually exist, the entire concept of races is actually racist. We all belong to homo sapiens sapiens.

So true. We are the only society or generation, to lump everyone up in 4 groups.

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Delusional!

Care to expound on that? I would say delusional is not teaching or knowing the actual history of the term slave and where it started, yet arguing it is a white man issue. Since it was first made by a black man, delusional would be denying that fact.

I said racam is a new white American invention. Prove me wrong and then we'll talk. Respect!

Sorry....did I direct my response to you? Or are you just projecting a bit....

posted on Apr, 3 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   

Dude you sound like you searching for a reason to justify slavery! Slaves is a staple in human history. But never has it been about race. The first black guy had a slave? You sir are naive and downright brainwashed by the yes men and women of our culturally water downed and alienating country. Did he beat, rape and kill his slaves? Did he separate husband from wife? Mother from child? Light from dark? No!

You've owed dogs I would assume. So did Micheal Vick! Food for thought.

Naive and brainwashed? Did you even try to research Anthony Johnson? Prove me wrong....Did he beat and rape and kill? Did he separate husband from wife? Mother from child? Light from dark? You say no....prove it....I can prove he was the first slave owner in the US and that is all I have said about him. You are bringing the other arguments, so show me he hasn't....show me an article or anything on him that says he was a gentle and kind and loving slave owner......
edit on 4/3/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   

You seem to be the one that's reaching. There's countless accounts of whites abusing African slaves. This was your argument. Why should I produce proof of what you know already? Show me proof the first "slave" owner as you put it was as brutal as his white counterparts.
edit on 4-4-2015 by Jahari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

You seem to be the one that's reaching. There's countless accounts of whites abusing African slaves. This was your argument. Why should produce proof of what you know already? Show me proof the first "slave" owner as you put it was as brutal as his white counterparts.

Please quote anywhere in this thread where I have stated anything other than just him being the very first legally backed, court documented slave owner in the US....please quote it. I would like to see this.

I am happy to go back and quote where you apparently thought I directed my argument to you, and where you brought in the rape/pillage/kill/atrocity BS and quote it if you like.

I certainly never claimed any of those things. Would you like me to point you to the history of Anthony Johnson?

Here is just the wiki on him, but if you need more, I research very old papers and will be happy to post pics of clippings from newspapers I have on it as well.

Anthony Johnson Wiki

So, I will ask again, will you provide me with anything that states he did not do the things you said? Because I did no make those claims.....you did.
edit on 4/4/15 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Delusional!

It's a forum right. I direct my comments as I see fit and your comment stood out to me. Discuss it or not. Don't run from comments that you can't readily answer. The world isn't what's written in your history books. This I know. I don't know how things really were but I can definitely draw a realistic conclusion that this black slave owner didn't outlaw literacy, family and human dignity. I'm sure he didn't hang his slaves as entertainment for his "villagers". You picked this comparison. I'm simply pointing out that your ridiculous assumption that blacks blame American slavery on a black man is down right a attempt to forgive the unforgivable. Accelt it, own it and lets move on. This is pretty freakin incriminating on your stance on the whole issue.

Please enlighten me on the term slave. What fact am I denying? (watching as he dig his own grave)

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   

You seem to be the one that's reaching. There's countless accounts of whites abusing African slaves. This was your argument. Why should produce proof of what you know already? Show me proof the first "slave" owner as you put it was as brutal as his white counterparts.

Please quote anywhere in this thread where I have stated anything other than just him being the very first legally backed, court documented slave owner in the US....please quote it. I would like to see this.

I am happy to go back and quote where you apparently thought I directed my argument to you, and where you brought in the rape/pillage/kill/atrocity BS and quote it if you like.

I certainly never claimed any of those things. Would you like me to point you to the history of Anthony Johnson?

Here is just the wiki on him, but if you need more, I research very old papers and will be happy to post pics of clippings from newspapers I have on it as well.

Anthony Johnson Wiki

So, I will ask again, will you provide me with anything that states he did not do the things you said? Because I did no make those claims.....you did.

Maybe you should point out where your statement is even relevant then?

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Delusional!

It's a forum right. I direct my comments as I see fit and your comment stood out to me. Discuss it or not. Don't run from comments that you can't readily answer. The world isn't what's written in your history books. This I know. I don't know how things really were but I can definitely draw a realistic conclusion that this black slave owner didn't outlaw literacy, family and human dignity. I'm sure he didn't hang his slaves as entertainment for his "villagers". You picked this comparison. I'm simply pointing out that your ridiculous assumption that blacks blame American slavery on a black man. That's pretty freakin incriminating on your stance on the whole issue.

Please enlighten me on the term slave. What fact am I denying? (watching as he dig his own grave)

Sure....you can direct your response however you like. My response that you commented on was not directed at you. You picked this argument and are now losing this argument because you are asking me to prove claims that I never made. I solely claimed that Anthony Johnson was the very first slave owner, by law, in the US and he was black.

I am not understanding where you are getting that you DON'T have to prove what you are claiming. I never did claim that, and even in the wiki I linked you to, that you have apparently failed to read, he fought to get his slave back when he ran away....here....I will quote it so you can't miss it by not reading the link:

The Casor suit demonstrates the culture and mentality of planters in the mid-17th century. The individuals made assumptions about the society of Northampton County and their place in it. According to historians T.R. Breen and Stephen Innes, Casor believed that he could form a stronger relationship with his patron Robert Parker than Anthony Johnson had formed over the years with his patrons. Casor considered the dispute to be a matter of patron-client relationship, and this wrongful assumption ultimately lost him the court and the decision. Johnson knew that the local justices shared his basic belief in the sanctity of property. The judge sided with Johnson, although in future legal issues, race played a larger role.[20]

The Casor suit was an example of how difficult it was for Africans who were indentured servants to keep from being reduced to slavery. Most African immigrants could not read and had no knowledge of the English language. Planters found it easy to force them into slavery by refusing to acknowledge the completion of their indentured contracts.[21] This is what happened in Johnson v. Parker. Although Casor had two white planters who confirmed that he had completed his indentured contract with Johnson, the court still ruled in Johnson's favor.

So, not only did Johnson, a black slave owner, have a deep belief in sanctity of property, property being his slave, but two white guys actually tried to confirm that he had completed his indentured servant contract in order to release him from Johnson.

Sounds like Johnson was a really nice slave owner.....and the two white dudes trying to get him out were real dirtbags.....

So, if you want to continue down this path I am happy to argue it, but you still have to come up with any proof Johnson was how you claim he was....nice, loving and sweet or however you choose to think of him.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Anthony Johnson Wiki

With your argument and initial confrontation with me? It isn't. With the person I originally responded to, it was. This would be the entire reason I asked YOU why YOU directed a comment at me.....because your comment made absolutely NO sense in regards to my response to another poster.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Alright so I took a class on racism through film and there was a pretty strict definition of racism.

Racism is a systematic form of oppression through domination.

Now when your friend says "Of course your racist," they mean "you're white". In many places around the world including our country the white majority are the "oppressors" and all other minorities are therefore the "oppressed".

Technically by definition only white people can be racist, and your friend means that, white people came up with that definition on their own, because obviously if we are the oppressors we aren't going to adapt word from the oppressed people.

Racism isn't just hating someone, it is perpetuating that white male dominance is normal, and that can be done through ignorance to the flaws in the system.

First you have to agree with the definition that is put forth for the word and then you have to adapt you view of what racism actually is because racism is kept alive and well with stereotypes so that the way life turns out for certain races is expected and the norm. Hatred is one level ignorance is another, and then there's apathy, all these things allow for racism to persist but without the system there is no racism, and if you control the system or are part of the controlling race you are the oppressor and there and by the racist (according to white people).

Isn't this symantical logic fun

But, seriously racism evolves just like technology, people, disease. You might not see it but if you really look its right in front of you.

Why do you think Gangsta rap is so popular, it sets a good example for you to get locked up and in a racist society that would be the goal, build in a self feeding system of dereliction and closed mindedness. Create your own problem and solve it your own way.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Anthony Johnson Wiki

With your argument and initial confrontation with me? It isn't. With the person I originally responded to, it was. This would be the entire reason I asked YOU why YOU directed a comment at me.....because your comment made absolutely NO sense in regards to my response to another poster.

All I'm asking you is what was the point of pointing out that the first recorded case of someone owning a indentured servant for life was a black man. I'm trying to see where that was relevant to any comment by any poster in this thread. Please tell me the point you were trying to make. It dont really matter who you were talking to.

posted on Apr, 4 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poofmander

Hatred is one level ignorance is another, and then there's apathy, all these things allow for racism to persist but without the system there is no racism, and if you control the system or are part of the controlling race you are the oppressor and there and by the racist (according to white people).

I don't mean to rudely bust in on your reply as others may, but I have to ask a question on this part of your statement here...

You say hatred, ignorance and apathy are what allow racism to persist, the you say without the system there is no racism. What "system" are you talking about exactly? Because hatred, ignorance and apathy were never anything I was taught, and I am 38. What I was taught was to read history and study it. I was taught that because of the belief that history repeats itself.

There is always a communication breakdown. There are always skewed points of view on every side. I learned to actually study the history. I did it because I typically don't like to take sides on things....I simply like to point out where others are incorrect. This HAS led me down a certain path and way of thinking, but it hasn't affected my ability to research and present a strong argument.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join