It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: ET and DNA

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ectoplasm8

originally posted by: Scdfa
I know, right?

NP, glad I could help.

Instead of playing this silly game, why don't you talk straight? Your passive aggressive responses and pointing out misspellings, false cognates, etc. is getting annoying. This thread is quickly going into the dumper.

If you want to enlighten people, lay it all out for everyone to see. Or at least start a thread about your experiences.

Hey, I brought this thread back on topic at the top of this page.

What are you doing? You complain that I'm being too glib in dismissing the insulting posts that are directed towards me.

I'm glad you're interested in hearing about my experiences. I'm considering starting a thread, but it will be a substantial amount of work to do so, and I'm not certain I want to deal with the negative feedback from that. Can I count on your positive support if I do?

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: Scdfa

So, I watched it again. And again. And finally, I realized I was just not fully understanding Tyson's talent until now: He's doing stand-up comedy! And, boy, he is a burgeoning talent. It isn't just his material, it's his delivery. And his impeccable timing.

I agree with you here. He really is a talented orator. Stand up comedy is really not easy to pull off but he does just that with the added bonus of getting his points across effectively. Some of the best professors I had were also some of the funniest too(to?). He has been doing the same comedy routine for a while now and it really has improved significantly. You can tell he has been practicing but he does need new material.

He had that audience rolling in the aisles!

Were on the video was that? I didn't see any shots of the audience or the aisles.

and in a Marvin the Martian voice jokes

Definitely not Marvin the Martian. I think it was just a generic silly voice.

Ain't nobody messin with you but you.

It feels good to agree with you.

There are things you can replace, and others you cannot.

edit on 26-3-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanka418

originally posted by: Harte

I don't know either way if such a thing would work or not work, but there are some factors to consider.

It seems that nearby UFO activity can cause disruption and failure of electronic devices of all sorts, including cameras and even batteries. That could be problematic to your proposal.

I wonder. Does this sort of thing correlate in any way with the idea that it "seems" that psychic powers suddenly fail to manifest if there is a skeptic in the room?

Harte

But wait, I'm a skeptic. I'm skeptical of a great many things discussed here in ATS forums.

Or are you limiting your question to only those who are skeptical of UFOs and alien abductions?

But wait, I'm skeptical of many UFOs and abductions.

Could you state your question more clearly?

The failure of electronic equipment is an excuse that is similar to the failure of psychic abilities.

Both are go-to explanations for why some fantastic claim couldn't be proven.

Harte

How is the failure of electronic equipment a "goto" excuse?

I can detail for you a myriad of ways an electronic device might fail, and perhaps one or two for the "psychic" claim. I can show you 1000's of ways the electronic methods will actually work, and perhaps one or two for the psychic...

Put another way; IF I were to use the excuse of electronic failure, I would also likely be able to show you the exact "junction" that failed in the electronic device. I wouldn't be able to do that with the psychic methods...though IF there were a psychic failure; it would be prudent to blame the other party. Oh...oh, look!!! There is another difference between Electronic and Psychic.

The subject was equipment failure because of the presence of ET, not because of dead batteries or whatnot.

The other claim is psychic ability failure because of the presence of a single skeptical mind.

So, why hasn't an abduction been caught on camera in the manner described?

Harte

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   

I don't know either way if such a thing would work or not work, but there are some factors to consider.

It seems that nearby UFO activity can cause disruption and failure of electronic devices of all sorts, including cameras and even batteries. That could be problematic to your proposal.

I wonder. Does this sort of thing correlate in any way with the idea that it "seems" that psychic powers suddenly fail to manifest if there is a skeptic in the room?

Harte

But wait, I'm a skeptic. I'm skeptical of a great many things discussed here in ATS forums.

Or are you limiting your question to only those who are skeptical of UFOs and alien abductions?

The failure of electronic equipment is an excuse that is similar to the failure of psychic abilities.

Harte

I can detail for you a myriad of ways an electronic device might fail, and perhaps one or two for the "psychic" claim. I can show you 1000's of ways the electronic methods will actually work, and perhaps one or two for the psychic...

Put another way; IF I were to use the excuse of electronic failure, I would also likely be able to show you the exact "junction" that failed in the electronic device. I wouldn't be able to do that with the psychic methods...though IF there were a psychic failure; it would be prudent to blame the other party. Oh...oh, look!!! There is another difference between Electronic and Psychic.

The subject was equipment failure because of the presence of ET, not because of dead batteries or whatnot.

Oh...you were not quite so specific before...nothing quite like changing context on the fly.

The other claim is psychic ability failure because of the presence of a single skeptical mind.

Yes, I've noticed...typically because skeptic refuses to accept valid, verifiable data.

Harte

I would presume for a myriad of reasons not related to the failure of technology, for any reason. I've given a method that could be considered "fool proof"...in that the user would not be able t stop the device, and ET would be logged...as it were.

In any case, get someone to try it...might be interesting.

Oh, and the other reason that there is not so much evidence as you seem to think there should be...you are vastly over estimating the frequency of event.

edit on 26-3-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Harte

Harte

Oh...you were not quite so specific before...nothing quite like changing context on the fly.

Perhaps you should make some effort to keep up. What I posted was entirely in context with the conversation at the time and what I posted next was in response to your own inability to understand the context of the conversation, which is why I (and another poster) actually had to explain it to you.

Yes, I've noticed...typically because skeptic refuses to accept valid, verifiable data.

So, you have never heard the excuse I mention? Do you maintain that it is not used?

Harte

I would presume for a myriad of reasons not related to the failure of technology, for any reason. I've given a method that could be considered "fool proof"...in that the user would not be able t stop the device, and ET would be logged...as it were.

In any case, get someone to try it...might be interesting.

Oh, and the other reason that there is not so much evidence as you seem to think there should be...you are vastly over estimating the frequency of event.

Hardly. But I wonder if you realize that most abductions have occurred in large cities, and most of those in high rise apartments in New York City, where there are always people around to see a UFO floating outside a window while the abductee is taken. I wonder why no one has ever witnessed an abduction there?

Not really, I don't actually wonder that. It's hard to witness what is happening entirely within another person's mind.

Harte

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

But I wonder if you realize that most abductions have occurred in large cities, and most of those in high rise apartments in New York City,

Pure nonsense. That is a complete falsehood and you don't have any evidence to support your outlandish claim.

Oh wait, wasn't Travis Walton taken from the 18th floor of the Empire State building? I seem to recall Travis and his crew were on their way to a Broadway musical, right? They had tickets to Les Miserables, they were in the elevator going down, but aliens got in on the 19th floor...

And Betty and Barney Hill were abducted from their penthouse condo in the Trump Tower. For which, they were fired by Mr. Trump.

Linda Cortille Napalitano was abducted from about the tenth floor of her east side apartment in Manhattan, but that's about it. A fascinating case, researched by the great Budd Hopkins himself.

Any evidence to support your claim?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 05:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Harte

But I wonder if you realize that most abductions have occurred in large cities, and most of those in high rise apartments in New York City, where there are always people around to see a UFO floating outside a window while the abductee is taken. I wonder why no one has ever witnessed an abduction there?

wow...I wonder where you got that stat from...could you possibly link it here ?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly
Well, if you go by the Roper pole, then 2% of the US population is being abducted. Most people live in cities so it would be a safe assumption that they mostly occur in cities. exopolitics.blogs.com... html

One earlier study in the 2002 Roper Poll concluded that 2% of the U.S. population (now estimated at 306,587,601 on June 4, 2009) - had been abducted, or approximately 6.1 million persons by current figures.

unless there are statistics that say otherwise, we should assume an even distribution. If 100 people live in the country, and 1000 people live in the city, that would be 2 people vs 20.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Well, if you go by the Roper pole, then 2% of the US population is being abducted. Most people live in cities so it would be a safe assumption that they mostly occur in cities.

And while in bed, according to the same source.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2
Ha! Yeah, I was trying to think of a way to work that in. I had a friend we called "Roper" because he had the face Mr. Roper and the hair of Mrs Roper.

I wonder if people dont take the pole seriously because of its association with the show

edit on 27-3-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Harte

Harte

It's just a matter of having the right electronic equipment and scientific methodology.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Perhaps you should make some effort to keep up. What I posted was entirely in context with the conversation at the time and what I posted next was in response to your own inability to understand the context of the conversation, which is why I (and another poster) actually had to explain it to you.

If you insist...What I saw was some stuff, in context. I responded to it, the micro-context changed to suit you.

Who was the "other"?

By the way; the context was the failure of electronic equipment during an abduction...the equipment, and reasons for failure, were generic, and not quite as specific as YOU wanted...

So, you have never heard the excuse I mention? Do you maintain that it is not used?

Yes, I've sort of seen it before; perhaps not used as much as you seem to think...However, that lame excuse is typically used by people who know nothing of Telepathic abilities, nor, indeed, any of the other psychic abilities present in everyone.

The "pointing out" of that failure is typically done by those who have even less knowledge and experience of the phenomenon. Course, then again; perhaps we should be talking about specifics here as well; which psychic ability were you trying to refer?

Hardly. But I wonder if you realize that most abductions have occurred in large cities, and most of those in high rise apartments in New York City, where there are always people around to see a UFO floating outside a window while the abductee is taken. I wonder why no one has ever witnessed an abduction there?

Not really, I don't actually wonder that. It's hard to witness what is happening entirely within another person's mind.

Harte

LOL!!!

Seriously man, where did you get that stat?!!? I'm asking just like the others! That stat, is of course completely made up and here is the reason;

Living things, like people, ETs, Dogs, Cats, you get the picture, behave very much like the electron in most cases. I'll leave you to ponder what I meant, and perhaps explain it to you later. The reality is that that stat in absolutely false (and I detest "absolutes"). and can only be "made up". I mean; you do realize that is not something you could, or indeed have, observed.

Further reality; it would be much easier for ET to abduct from the more rural areas. AND, while I've not done any checking, I would venture to say that virtually ALL abductions occur in the more rural settings. But, that is actually something YOU might want to check...I'm quite sure that data is available.

You seriously need to apply a bit more logic...

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Well, if you go by the Roper pole, then 2% of the US population is being abducted. Most people live in cities so it would be a safe assumption that they mostly occur in cities. exopolitics.blogs.com... html

One earlier study in the 2002 Roper Poll concluded that 2% of the U.S. population (now estimated at 306,587,601 on June 4, 2009) - had been abducted, or approximately 6.1 million persons by current figures.

unless there are statistics that say otherwise, we should assume an even distribution. If 100 people live in the country, and 1000 people live in the city, that would be 2 people vs 20.

While there may not be any statistics to provide guidance here. There are plenty of reports about Human, and animal behavior to help us out. And, I think we would find that those reports, and analyses of behavior will indicate that people, animals, and yes even ET are among the laziest creatures in all of existence. It then becomes logical to think that ET will try to avoid the congestion, and security risk of high population areas (cities), and opt for the easier rural setting.

That IS after all what a Terrestrial Human would do. Or, are y'all somehow smarter than ET now?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Incorrect, there is no reason to assume an even distribution of abductees along the lines of population density. You know what happens when you assume, right?

It would be equally incorrect to assume the abductees chosen proportionately represent the racial make-up of America. Or religion. Or ethnicity. Or blood type. Or political affiliation. Or income.

As it would be foolish to assume the abductees proportionately reflect the age of the population. They don't.

Yes, abductees are taken from cities, certainly. Including myself and my family, although from a very small city, with a population under 20,000.

But Harte stated that most abductees were from large cities, and most of those in high rise apartments in New York City. Which, as I stated, is pure nonsense, with no evidence to support such an outlandish claim.
edit on 27-3-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Incorrect, there is no reason to assume an even distribution, You know what happens when you assume, right?

It would be equally incorrect to assume the abductees chosen proportionately represent the racial make-up of America. Or religion. Or ethnicity.Or blood type. Or political affiliation.

2 percent of something is 2 percent of something. Unless there are stats that show otherwise, then you shouldn't assume that there isn't an even distribution.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Incorrect, there is no reason to assume an even distribution, You know what happens when you assume, right?

It would be equally incorrect to assume the abductees chosen proportionately represent the racial make-up of America. Or religion. Or ethnicity.Or blood type. Or political affiliation.

2 percent of something is 2 percent of something. Unless there are stats that show otherwise, then you shouldn't assume that there isn't an even distribution.

Incorrect, a course in statistics would be beneficial.

Nothing you say can justify the claim that most abductees are taken from high rise apartments in New York City.

Now if you want to backpedal away from your support of Harte's ridiculous claim, I don't blame you.

But when you make the claim that aliens select which humans to abduct based on an attempt to evenly represent the population density throughout the United States? Then I'm from Missouri, show me.

You could go through the history of reported abductions to determine location, and compile evidence that may or may not support your theory. But I'm predicting you won't.

You have nothing to support your claim.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: tanka418
Yes, I don't disagree with the logic but the question was where did the statements in question come from. The only abduction stats I know are from the roper pole. This was something that the popular abduction researchers promoted as evidence of a rampant epidemic of alien abduction. So I don't know if the statements originated from Jacobs and Hopkins but it seems like something they would say. Where I am going is, for the purpose of the discussion, that we can accept the popular statistics and the assumptions or move on with new ones and get better stats. Personally, I would be happy to drop kick Roper, Hopkins and especially Jocobs.

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
If there are 1000 people that live in a high rise apartment building and 2% of that is 20, I really don't know how else to interpret that.

But when you make the claim that aliens select which humans to abduct based on an attempt to evenly represent the population density throughout the United States? Then I'm from Missouri, show me.

I am only making the claim that 2% is equal to 2%. I really have no idea if aliens even exist so I have no idea how they make their selections.

edit on 27-3-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

If there are 1000 people that live in a high rise apartment building and 2% of that is 20, I really don't know how else to interpret that.

So are you now suggesting the aliens take two percent of the population that live in each high rise apartment building?

That would be quite an outlandish claim, would it not?

posted on Mar, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Wow some totally asinine claims being made here about abductions.

Encounters generally are reported as happening "away from people" or "in the middle of nowhere."
First of all, abduction cases generally happen when an individual or group of individuals is not present around other people who are not known ahead of time. While groups of friends, family, or coworkers may experience an abduction while hanging around one another it seems very rare that multiple people would happen upon a specific location and then find themselves the subject of an alien abduction. Second, most compelling and convincing abduction cases seem to happen in secluded areas (although the definition of this term too should be redefined.)
www.unexplainable.net...

new topics

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join