It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson: ET and DNA

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Edit: that was the wrong video. That was video #3 in that series. The correct one is video #2 of that series. He mentions it around the 4:10 mark.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
There are 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars in the universe.
100 octillion stars.

To think we are the only ones around.....

1. I think there are more stars than that.

2. There nothing wrong with thinking that we are the only ones around. It's just that the thinking behind the thinking is not right.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Scdfa

originally posted by: draknoir2

I'm trying to avoid fanning the flames of this poster's obsession with me. This is actually his 140th post either to me or about me. I kid you not.

By posting this?

Try counting your unbeliever/denier/debunker rants if you're that interested in numbers and obsessions.

I don't blame them for reacting to me with anger. I state my case effectively and clearly, and the events of my life are frightening to people who wish alien contact was not real.

But I'm only the messenger, folks. Silencing me won't change the way things are, it will only make it a little easier to pretend they aren't.

I don't see anyone reacting to you with anger, but your own reactions do appear a little heated.

For the record I have read quite a number of your posts (and certain other posters in this thread), and I do not think you have stated your case either effectively, or clearly.

I do not think the (alleged) events of your life are frightening in the least, nor do I see people proclaiming they wish alien contact is not real. In fact, there are a number of speculative threads that address the 'alien' phenomena in a far more interesting and effective manner, that you have not contributed to.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: cuckooold

I'm trying to avoid fanning the flames of this poster's obsession with me. This is actually his 140th post either to me or about me. I kid you not.

By posting this?

Try counting your unbeliever/denier/debunker rants if you're that interested in numbers and obsessions.

I don't blame them for reacting to me with anger. I state my case effectively and clearly, and the events of my life are frightening to people who wish alien contact was not real.

But I'm only the messenger, folks. Silencing me won't change the way things are, it will only make it a little easier to pretend they aren't.

I don't see anyone reacting to you with anger, but your own reactions do appear a little heated.

For the record I have read quite a number of your posts (and certain other posters in this thread), and I do not think you have stated your case either effectively, or clearly.

I do not think the (alleged) events of your life are frightening in the least, nor do I see people proclaiming they wish alien contact is not real. In fact, there are a number of speculative threads that address the 'alien' phenomena in a far more interesting and effective manner, that you have not contributed to.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't give it much weight. I think the anger towards me in this very thread is quite evident. Agree to disagree, I guess.

You know little of the events of my life, but I'm glad you're so big and brave. To paraphrase Ray Parker, Jr., "I ain't scared of no alien."

I call into question your powers of observation, however. In this UFO forum there are dozen upon dozens of posters who wish to deny the reality of alien contact.
edit on 25-3-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Scdfa

Scdfa post #145

I think the anger towards me in this very thread is quite evident.

I always find it strange that people think they can sense emotions through text. But, yes, in general people get annoyed when they are constantly insulted and have their posts spell checked instead of discussing the topic. It really has nothing to do with your "alien reality" shtick. I am personally fascinated by different views. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not angry at all. Ah, what the heck, you can count my posts and spell check me and call me names if you want, that's totally cool and in return, I will end my posts with smiley faces and Grateful Dead lyrics.

If you get confused just listen to the music play
edit on 25-3-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: changed "hell" to "heck" because it sounds so much nicer.

posted on Mar, 25 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian

Scdfa post #145

I always find it strange that people think they can sense emotions through text. But, yes, in general people get annoyed when they are constantly insulted and have their posts spell checked instead of discussing the topic. It really has nothing to do with your "alien reality" shtick. I am personally fascinated by different views. If it makes you feel any better, I'm not angry at all. Ah, what the heck, you can count my posts and spell check me and call me names if you want, that's totally cool and in return, I will end my posts with smiley faces and Grateful Dead lyrics.

Or you could find somebody else to obsess over.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
a reply to: undo

Neil Tyson talks about UFOs

That's a must watch video about UFOs for anybody who hasn't seen it.

I want to get this thread back on point, so I went back to page one and watched this video again, to examine exactly what it was that I found so offensive, apart from everything. So, I watched it again. And again. And finally, I realized I was just not fully understanding Tyson's talent until now: He's doing stand-up comedy! And, boy, he is a burgeoning talent. It isn't just his material, it's his delivery. And his impeccable timing. He had that audience rolling in the aisles!

Tyson is asked "Do you believe in UFOs or extraterrestrial visitors?" He pauses, silly look on his face, and in a Marvin the Martian voice jokes, "I'm not authorized to answer that question." Raucous laughter all around, Tyson even cracks himself up, and we're off to a rollickin' evening of hard science!

Then, a pause that would do Jack Benny proud, 15 full seconds, before "Where shall I begin?" Well, Mr. Tyson, maybe you could start by telling us how weak our minds are? And that's exactly what he does, with a heavy-lidded, sour look bordering on annoyance. "There's a fascinating frailty of the human mind..." I love this routine; people are sooo crazy!. How crazy are they?

"And it's called 'Argument from ignorance', and this is how it goes, ready?"

"Somebody sees lights flashing in the sky...So they say, I don't know what it is, it must be aliens from outer space visiting from another planet!"

I almost didn't get this joke, but then I realized he was being sarcastic! He talks about argument from ignorance, then he feigns ignorance himself by reducing the evidence for ET to the point of absurdity. By suggesting the decades of evidence of alien contact amounted to "someone sees lights flashing in the sky".

So he describes people who make the case for alien contact as 'Arguing from Ignorance', then he does just that.' That is funny stuff. But in kind of an insult comedy way, y'know?

to be continued
edit on 26-3-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   

By posting this?

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I don't give it much weight. I think the anger towards me in this very thread is quite evident. Agree to disagree, I guess.

You know little of the events of my life, but I'm glad you're so big and brave. To paraphrase Ray Parker, Jr., "I ain't scared of no alien."

I call into question your powers of observation, however. In this UFO forum there are dozen upon dozens of posters who wish to deny the reality of alien contact.

You stated, '...the events of my life are frightening to people who wish alien contact is not real'.

Where are these frightened people?

I'm also glad you can sum up my character so aptly, with so little observation or knowledge of anything about me. It's fascinating you know so much of my powers of observation. I'd guess you bring the same level of logic, awareness, and observation to the 'alien problem'.
edit on 26-3-2015 by cuckooold because: Descfa's gem

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 03:58 AM
link   

By posting this?

I'm also glad you can sum up my character so aptly, with so little observation or knowledge of anything about me. It's fascinating you know so much of my powers of observation.

I know, right?

NP, glad I could help.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Scdfa post #145

To hell with The Dead, bring on Slayer!

edit on 26-3-2015 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

I don't know either way if such a thing would work or not work, but there are some factors to consider.

It seems that nearby UFO activity can cause disruption and failure of electronic devices of all sorts, including cameras and even batteries. That could be problematic to your proposal.

I wonder. Does this sort of thing correlate in any way with the idea that it "seems" that psychic powers suddenly fail to manifest if there is a skeptic in the room?

Harte

But wait, I'm a skeptic. I'm skeptical of a great many things discussed here in ATS forums.

Or are you limiting your question to only those who are skeptical of UFOs and alien abductions?

But wait, I'm skeptical of many UFOs and abductions.

Could you state your question more clearly?

The failure of electronic equipment is an excuse that is similar to the failure of psychic abilities.

Both are go-to explanations for why some fantastic claim couldn't be proven.

Harte

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Scdfa post #145

Better count that post too!
You can't let the count get away from you!

Harte

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

So, I watched it again. And again. And finally, I realized I was just not fully understanding Tyson's talent until now: He's doing stand-up comedy! And, boy, he is a burgeoning talent. It isn't just his material, it's his delivery. And his impeccable timing.

I agree with you here. He really is a talented orator. Stand up comedy is really not easy to pull off but he does just that with the added bonus of getting his points across effectively. Some of the best professors I had were also some of the funniest too(to?). He has been doing the same comedy routine for a while now and it really has improved significantly. You can tell he has been practicing but he does need new material.

He had that audience rolling in the aisles!

Were on the video was that? I didn't see any shots of the audience or the aisles.

and in a Marvin the Martian voice jokes

Definitely not Marvin the Martian. I think it was just a generic silly voice.

Ain't nobody messin with you but you

edit on 26-3-2015 by ZetaRediculian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: JadeStar

To hell with The Dead, bring on Slayer!

Slayer definitely rocks.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I don't know either way if such a thing would work or not work, but there are some factors to consider.

It seems that nearby UFO activity can cause disruption and failure of electronic devices of all sorts, including cameras and even batteries. That could be problematic to your proposal.

I wonder. Does this sort of thing correlate in any way with the idea that it "seems" that psychic powers suddenly fail to manifest if there is a skeptic in the room?

Harte

But wait, I'm a skeptic. I'm skeptical of a great many things discussed here in ATS forums.

Or are you limiting your question to only those who are skeptical of UFOs and alien abductions?

But wait, I'm skeptical of many UFOs and abductions.

Could you state your question more clearly?

The failure of electronic equipment is an excuse that is similar to the failure of psychic abilities.

Both are go-to explanations for why some fantastic claim couldn't be proven.

Harte

How is the failure of electronic equipment a "goto" excuse?

I can detail for you a myriad of ways an electronic device might fail, and perhaps one or two for the "psychic" claim. I can show you 1000's of ways the electronic methods will actually work, and perhaps one or two for the psychic...

Put another way; IF I were to use the excuse of electronic failure, I would also likely be able to show you the exact "junction" that failed in the electronic device. I wouldn't be able to do that with the psychic methods...though IF there were a psychic failure; it would be prudent to blame the other party. Oh...oh, look!!! There is another difference between Electronic and Psychic.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
If I recall automated capture of evidence was being discussed. And, I'm sure somewhere the all sky viewing was brought up.

Here are some statistics to consider when thinking about the capture of events via this method.

First, and foremost should be the storage consideration. If you are recording all night, even with a low resolution device (1MP) You will be using up a tremendous amount of storage.

Consider: 1 MP X 3 Bytes (for color) per frame...that's 3MB every frame...X 15 frames per second = 45MB per second.

162000MB every hour...that's 162 Gig every hour...and y'all are going all night...perhaps 8 hours...that's 1.296TB So your using up over 1 Terabyte every night, even after compression, you will still use up a terabyte every day...you going to archive any of that?

Next; you get to watch every minute of those 8 hours just to watch for events.

Alternately, One could program a PC to watch for events, it's not terribly difficult, except, how are you going to define an event? You will need to find a method that allows the computer to recognize something without being specific about what it really is...since you don't know.

We can, however, set something up to watch for specific kinds of event; such as movement, changes in lighting, contrast, color, and fortunately one f these will probably cover most events; but at what threshold?

Since this is going to be done by computer...it becomes rather easy for s to make it impossible for the "user" to turn it off, regardless of any external or internal influence or desire...the machine simply won't allow it.

If the computer system is interfered with by some external influence, the automated logging system contained in all modern operating systems will dutifully record the whole thing, and, best of all; there is no way for ET or indeed, anyone else, to circumvent it.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I know, right?

NP, glad I could help.

Instead of playing this silly game, why don't you talk straight? Your passive aggressive responses and pointing out misspellings, false cognates, etc. is getting annoying. This thread is quickly going into the dumper.

If you want to enlighten people, lay it all out for everyone to see. Or at least start a thread about your experiences.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: tanka418
I have thought about something like this too. I have been messing around with RoboRealm for a while. If you aren't familiar with it, its vision software that can handle what you are talking about. Once you get used to the interface (its a little clunky), its a pretty good tool. There is no coding required, so anyone can use it, but the nice thing for coders is the API interface, so C# is no problem. I used to code some of it what I does on my own using Accord.net but that was really time consuming. Some of the fun stuff it does is Object Recognition , Face Detection, OCR and pretty much every type of filter. ISPY is another one which is built on accord.net and is totally free open source. That has motion detection built into it but that's geared toward home security. Heck, the d-link wireless cam I just got has motion detection built right into the web interface. Maybe you like to write your own stuff which I get too but there is so much available for anyone to get into. Yeah, I'm a geek.

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: tanka418
I have thought about something like this too. I have been messing around with RoboRealm for a while. If you aren't familiar with it, its vision software that can handle what you are talking about. Once you get used to the interface (its a little clunky), its a pretty good tool. There is no coding required, so anyone can use it, but the nice thing for coders is the API interface, so C# is no problem. I used to code some of it what I does on my own using Accord.net but that was really time consuming. Some of the fun stuff it does is Object Recognition , Face Detection, OCR and pretty much every type of filter. ISPY is another one which is built on accord.net and is totally free open source. That has motion detection built into it but that's geared toward home security. Heck, the d-link wireless cam I just got has motion detection built right into the web interface. Maybe you like to write your own stuff which I get too but there is so much available for anyone to get into. Yeah, I'm a geek.

RoboRealm looks interesting, and it's not too expensive...may have to look into it further. I currently have a "computer vision" library I downloaded from SourceForge (I think). Though I haven't gotten very far into it yet...

Those and the others you mention would seem to make the automated capture of an event more possible... I wasn't aware that motion detection was being "built-in"; this makes the whole "trap" easier to build.

While I do like writing my own software, I usually only resort to that wen there isn't anything I want or like for an application...basically...I'm lazy and don't want to re-invent anything...when I don't have to.

But, products like these only make it easier for these kinds of events to be captured...Hmmmm, maybe there's a market there...

posted on Mar, 26 2015 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Scdfa post #145

Better count that post too!
You can't let the count get away from you!

Harte

Actually, harte, I don't have to count that post, zeta was kind enough to do it for me, marking it as "scdfa post #145".

But don't feel too foolish, just try to pay more attention before sending obnoxious posts.

edit on 26-3-2015 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join